ImageImageImageImageImage

Melo traded to OKC Thread (Cont.) - Put Melo stuff in here thanks xoxo Cap

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,934

Re: Melo traded to OKC Thread (Cont.) 

Post#641 » by F N 11 » Tue Oct 3, 2017 8:00 pm

Rotten Apple wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:
This post sounds so familiar lol

Anyway he didn't prove it to the Bulls nor the Thunder. I doubt he does it here, there's no evidence to support otherwise.

Like Kt said those weren't great situations for him to prove it in. The Bulls were a contending team when he got drafted and last year had 3 guys who demanded the ball in their hands and Doug kind of had to play off the ball all the time as a role player which he was very good at I might add. He also had to contend for minutes with a very similar player to him in Mirotic.

Then he joined a Thunder team late in the season with Westbrook pretty much hogging the ball and doing everything while not having time to really gel with anyone.

Now he's coming to a team that doesn't have a classic iso scorer or dominant ball handler and he should get way more varied touches over the course of the season. We'll see if he produces or if he still slots in to a one trick pony role. With KP at the 5 sometimes I suspect Doug is going to have some of the best spacing he's ever seen at the NBA level (Both OKC and Chicago were mediocre from deep and filled with wings who couldn't shoot consistently). I think he'll be a nice piece for us going forward.

All he did in the scrimmage was spot up, albeit he hit the shots at a good clip but I just don't see this array of offensive ability. College and the pros are different.

one of his first buckets was a back door from Kanter. Like the other poster said. If he cant prove himself in this situation idk if he will.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,310

Re: Melo traded to OKC Thread (Cont.) - Put Melo stuff in here thanks xoxo Cap 

Post#642 » by Jalen Bluntson » Tue Oct 3, 2017 8:21 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Sark wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:
Read on Twitter

Dude really needs to stop with the hoodie now. It was funny during the summer, but now it's corny.

Mother Melo

Holy Shyt?
:beer: RIP mags
Rotten Apple
General Manager
And1: 5,113

Post#643 » by Rotten Apple » Tue Oct 3, 2017 8:38 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
Familiar how? He absolutely did prove it on both teams. Just because he didn't get the opportunity to do it every time down doesn't mean it wasn't there.

The player you described then saying him and KP at the 4/5, sounds really familiar lol

Anyway, so two teams he previously been on have seen him do everything you posted and decided to just not give him more minutes to do all of that? I don't buy it man.

20 minutes off the bench isn't much...? I don't think he's a starter, but saying he didn't show anything is simply wrong. The closest he's been in to the offense we will be running (more free flowing) was in Chicago, and he absolutely showed his versatility. Even in OKC when the entire offense was Westbrook, he was able to show some of his versatility, even if it was more limited because of the lack of creativity on offense.

He showed his versatility then the team who traded up for him dealt him for Cameron Payne, Anthony Morrow and Joffrey Lauvergne. They even attached a pick. Come on man, he's just not THAT. In a limited spot up role he has some value but that's it.
Rotten Apple
General Manager

Post#644 » by Rotten Apple » Tue Oct 3, 2017 8:40 pm

K P 6 wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:
Like Kt said those weren't great situations for him to prove it in. The Bulls were a contending team when he got drafted and last year had 3 guys who demanded the ball in their hands and Doug kind of had to play off the ball all the time as a role player which he was very good at I might add. He also had to contend for minutes with a very similar player to him in Mirotic.

Then he joined a Thunder team late in the season with Westbrook pretty much hogging the ball and doing everything while not having time to really gel with anyone.

Now he's coming to a team that doesn't have a classic iso scorer or dominant ball handler and he should get way more varied touches over the course of the season. We'll see if he produces or if he still slots in to a one trick pony role. With KP at the 5 sometimes I suspect Doug is going to have some of the best spacing he's ever seen at the NBA level (Both OKC and Chicago were mediocre from deep and filled with wings who couldn't shoot consistently). I think he'll be a nice piece for us going forward.

All he did in the scrimmage was spot up, albeit he hit the shots at a good clip but I just don't see this array of offensive ability. College and the pros are different.

one of his first buckets was a back door from Kanter. Like the other poster said. If he cant prove himself in this situation idk if he will.

We'll see once the regular starts, around Christmas to the trade deadline is where teams have established themselves and players start to sink or swim. Hopefully Doug shows me I'm wrong.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#645 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Oct 3, 2017 8:40 pm

Rotten Apple wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:
The player you described then saying him and KP at the 4/5, sounds really familiar lol

Anyway, so two teams he previously been on have seen him do everything you posted and decided to just not give him more minutes to do all of that? I don't buy it man.

20 minutes off the bench isn't much...? I don't think he's a starter, but saying he didn't show anything is simply wrong. The closest he's been in to the offense we will be running (more free flowing) was in Chicago, and he absolutely showed his versatility. Even in OKC when the entire offense was Westbrook, he was able to show some of his versatility, even if it was more limited because of the lack of creativity on offense.

He showed his versatility then the team who traded up for him dealt him for Cameron Payne, Anthony Morrow and Joffrey Lauvergne. They even attached a pick. Come on man, he's just not THAT. In a limited spot up role he has some value but that's it.

Not sure what the players have to do with anything...but, yeah, he really is versatile. You can stay dead-set in your views, which is fine, because I'm done here...this isn't going anywhere.
Rotten Apple
General Manager

Post#646 » by Rotten Apple » Tue Oct 3, 2017 8:42 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

Not sure what the players have to do with anything...but, yeah, he really is versatile. You can stay dead-set in your views, which is fine, because I'm done here...this isn't going anywhere.

Don't run.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,350

Post#647 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Oct 3, 2017 9:06 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

I'm not sure why someone can't see McDermott's game isn't offensively versatile. He can do a lot and he's active moving without the ball. That side of the ball is absolutely no problem. It's that his defense is bad. Worse than uninterested Melo bad. He'll do a lot of fundamentally unsound stuff to lose his man and he's not that athletic for covering guys one on one. He IS active defending one on one though. If he's gotten better at not losing his guy, he's an interesting idea at starting SF, with a PG like Frank who seems like he'll find active cutters, and a willing passer in WHG and with KP, where at the least the ball doesn't stick. I think KP will be more the pass to the pass that gets the assist.

To me, based on ability and the Knick's needs, it's pretty obvious that CLee, Sessions, McDermott, Kanter and Beasley are in the rotation. Exactly where is the debate.

After that, I think Baker dresses as 5th guard, but is sort of out of the regular rotation. 12th man will be KOQ and then it's however Noah shakes out after his suspension.
11th man is Kuz vs LFT. I think Kuz sits because McDermott does everything he does but has proven to do them better- hit outside shots, cut, have an all around offensive game, not play much defense. Edge LFT. Unfortunately.

The Knicks will actually have guys who are decent out of the rotation and not even suiting up.
Rotten Apple
General Manager

Post#648 » by Rotten Apple » Tue Oct 3, 2017 9:12 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:

I'm not sure why someone can't see McDermott's game isn't offensively versatile. He can do a lot and he's active moving without the ball. That side of the ball is absolutely no problem. It's that his defense is bad. Worse than uninterested Melo bad. He'll do a lot of fundamentally unsound stuff to lose his man and he's not that athletic for covering guys one on one. He IS active defending one on one though. If he's gotten better at not losing his guy, he's an interesting idea at starting SF, with a PG like Frank who seems like he'll find active cutters, and a willing passer in WHG and with KP, where at the least the ball doesn't stick. I think KP will be more the pass to the pass that gets the assist.

To me, based on ability and the Knick's needs, it's pretty obvious that CLee, Sessions, McDermott, Kanter and Beasley are in the rotation. Exactly where is the debate.

After that, I think Baker dresses as 5th guard, but is sort of out of the regular rotation. 12th man will be KOQ and then it's however Noah shakes out after his suspension.

The Knicks will actually have guys who are decent out of the rotation and not even suiting up.

I gotta see what happens when we aren't playing the Knicks. Everyone was excited about the ball movement(it's always like that in the pre-season) and I get it but I wasn't impressed. Frank impressed me and then it really got quiet for everyone else.

Maybe it's my lack of faith in Hornacek as a coach, the youth and inexperience and overall lack of dynamic talents(KP is the only Elite talent but even he's got a new adjustment to make again, it's his 3rd year)

I just don't see it, especially for guys like Doug who've proven to be limited players when the games actually matter.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#649 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Oct 3, 2017 9:15 pm

Rotten Apple wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

I gotta see what happens when we aren't playing the Knicks. Everyone was excited about the ball movement(it's always like that in the pre-season) and I get it but I wasn't impressed. Frank impressed me and then it really got quiet for everyone else.

Maybe it's my lack of faith in Hornacek as a coach, the youth and inexperience and overall lack of dynamic talents(KP is the only Elite talent but even he's got a new adjustment to make again, it's his 3rd year)

I just don't see it, especially for guys like Doug who've proven to be limited players when the games actually matter.

I'm basing in on seeing McDermott the last few years here and there. McDermott and Beasley are guys who absolutely have starter quality offensive games.
It's defense that limits their minutes and therefore their consistency. Because the Knicks have a hole at SF and at backup PF, these guys will be in the rotation in some combination.
Rotten Apple
General Manager

Post#650 » by Rotten Apple » Tue Oct 3, 2017 9:20 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

I'm basing in on seeing McDermott the last few years here and there. McDermott and Beasley are guys who absolutely have starter quality offensive games.
It's defense that limits their minutes and therefore their consistency. Because the Knicks have a hole at SF and at backup PF, these guys will be in the rotation in some combination.

I don't think it's defense, how many NBA players are quality defenders? Not many.

Beasley cant stick yet has all this talent in the world.

McDermott is versatile yet isn't utilized as such.

It doesn't add up to me. They'll get minutes, they should because we aren't good and don't have any good players at the moment. I just dont see the upside.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#651 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Oct 3, 2017 9:24 pm

McDermott WAS utilized as being more than just a spot up shooter.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 127,010

Post#652 » by god shammgod » Tue Oct 3, 2017 9:27 pm

how many guys are picked in the lottery and are throw-ins in trades twice before their rookie contract is up and then go on to be successful ? not that it can't happen but it's unlikely
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#653 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Oct 3, 2017 10:10 pm

god shammgod wrote:how many guys are picked in the lottery and are throw-ins in trades twice before their rookie contract is up and then go on to be successful ? not that it can't happen but it's unlikely

Caveat. Knicks aren't a good team.

But look at most good teams. There roster is full of first round players. There is nary a 2nd rounder, or free agent (undrafted) signing on them. Maybe one guy. Not that some 2nd rounders or undrafted players don't turn out really well.

I mean, the NBA only has 2 rounds, so this sort of figures. But most teams, when they are decent, have a bunch of 1st round picks on the team - Legitimately good players, picked by them or that come via FA or trade, "ok" players - guys drafted towards the end of the 1st, or upper 1/3 (lottery) guys who haven't exactly panned out, but are sticking around the league, off the bench. And guys who were good, but getting older, now coming off the bench as well.

Beasley and McDermott and even Kanter have talent. Why they all went relatively high in the first round. They also have issues/holes in their game, which is why they've come off the bench.

I think the Knicks bench got younger, deeper and better. However, now they lack a legit starting quality SF, no less a "star" or "very good" SF.

Beasley or McDermott COULD start. They wouldn't be awesome, but a team could get buy with them. Not a team with playoff aspirations, unless their other 4 starters were awesome. Last I checked, Knicks don't really have playoff aspirations this year, Courtney Lee aside.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#654 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Oct 3, 2017 11:48 pm

Look who was right about Douggie moving without the ball...
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#655 » by dakomish23 » Wed Oct 4, 2017 12:45 am

Switched over to the OKC game for half time. The spacing with both Adams & Roberson is not great
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
MDDN48
Senior
And1: 165

Post#656 » by MDDN48 » Wed Oct 4, 2017 11:27 pm

NoStatsGuy wrote:
MDDN48 wrote:
sushibear wrote:
Lol oh shiet I forgot about him. Where do we put him?

Not that it means anything, but he started at the 3, for the open practice at the Garden today.

he wil play over kuz and Lance. probably see some time at the 4 aswell.

i dont know why the knicks in here hate dougie so much. hes a legit nba player unlinke kuz and baker for example

We'll see..
"DARE TO BE GREAT"

COMPANY MERCH: http://jam3productions.bigcartel.com/
Handledatruth
Head Coach
And1: 1,730

Post#657 » by Handledatruth » Wed Oct 4, 2017 11:53 pm

god shammgod wrote:how many guys are picked in the lottery and are throw-ins in trades twice before their rookie contract is up and then go on to be successful ? not that it can't happen but it's unlikely

:wink:
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#658 » by dakomish23 » Thu Oct 5, 2017 12:17 am

Handledatruth wrote:

:wink:

Is that Stromile Swift?

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#659 » by dakomish23 » Thu Oct 5, 2017 12:22 am

MCW?

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#660 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu Oct 5, 2017 12:28 am

dakomish23 wrote:

MCW?

Doesn't the bold disqualify him? :lol:

Return to New York Knicks