ImageImageImage

OT now i guess:an interesting analysis of why Rose had so many knee injuries

Moderator: ijspeelman

RememberLu
RealGM
And1: 8,448

OT now i guess:an interesting analysis of why Rose had so many knee injuries 

Post#1 » by RememberLu » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:23 am

I've often seen Bulls fans reference bad luck, misfortune or even some kind of curse for why our star player declined so rapidly due to multiple non-contact knee injuries. Sometimes people would say things like "he was too fast for his body" or "his movement were too herky jerky and he put too much torque on his knees".

I thought this video posits an interesting theory and it has to do with how Derrick runs and lands

Maybe you find this interesting, maybe you don't, maybe you think this is irrelevant now and we should leave the past in the past. Lemme know my homies
3noD
Sixth Man
And1: 562

Re: OT now i guess:an interesting analysis of why Rose had so many knee injuries 

Post#2 » by 3noD » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:41 am

Interesting. Makes sense, DRose's running and jumping style is so explosive it puts a lot of pressure on his body.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,074

Re: OT now i guess:an interesting analysis of why Rose had so many knee injuries 

Post#3 » by MrSparkle » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:54 am

Good stuff, and frankly I was concerned from the early days about his play style (sprint and stop, awkward landings and his running gait in general).

There was an article about Andrew Bynum also a few years back. He had a funky running gait, and I believe Phil Jackson was quoted saying he was not surprised at all when his injuries started piling up.

It was always on my mind because I myself had a bad walking/running gait growing up (well I still do; I have to focus to keep a decent form), possibly caused by early back/joint problems or vice versa... could care 2 ****s about jumping off a garage roof and landing on 1 leg. :lol: Everything was fine and dandy when i was a kid; I could play sports hard, sprint/stop/juke/jump and was fairly acrobatic... but in later age (and I'm not old: 30) I feel like I'm an awkward landing away from tearing the ACL or getting lower back pain that bothers me for weeks on end. But, by doing correct warm-up/post stretches, yoga, swimming and trying to run on soft surfaces with good form, I feel fine.

I kept saying that Rose needs to re-learn his game and adjust after the last meniscus tear, but he didn't seem to want to change anything in his game... he just stopped hustling on defense and going for dunks. I can't imagine playing pro sports though. Not like you have time to re-learn how to run in the NBA and still compete as a starter on a contender. I mean, holy hell, Derrick Rose is 29 as of last week. (How time has flown). Not to mention the jumps... the way he ran, it was like he was sprinting faster than his frame could handle, and then he'd grind to a stop to fake out defenders. Absolutely madness for the joints.

I put Kirilenko in the boat as well. He would be doing some really acrobatic stuff for his lanky frame, and it was fun to watch, but sure as hell didn't translate to a long and healthy NBA career. Plenty of times he'd get massive elevation going for a block or alley-oop out of nowhere and land on 1 foot.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#4 » by GimmeDat » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:59 am

There's is absolutely no doubt in my mind that his landings had a hell of a lot to do with his knee injuries.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,383

Post#5 » by fleet » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:36 am

He was jumping not landing with the ACL injury.

we've gone over it and this Andy guy's lay opinion a bunch of times. Moving this.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,121

Post#6 » by jbk1234 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:50 am

fleet wrote:He was jumping not landing with the ACL injury.

we've gone over it and this Andy guy's lay opinion a bunch of times. Moving this.

I'm going to start moving problematic threads to the Bulls' forum now. 8-)
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
OzCastiel
Senior
And1: 531

Post#7 » by OzCastiel » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:40 pm

We've gone over this a million times over the years. Just keep his minutes down and don't expect much from him.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#8 » by Stillwater » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:02 pm

^ he was brought in to be the back up pg, I don't feel like he is going to be given normal starter minutes if there are any concerns about this.He has been named the starter for now,but luckily we have enough versatile 2 guards even with IT4 out where we can run Shump or Wade at the point as needed with Lebron on the floor and let Rose handle the 2nd unit.(which might be better anyway). We do need to get rid of Calderon unless he suddenly begins playing defense and making 3's like he did in his youth.We probably won't until December because of the tax hit,but I don't see him being used much after the first 10 games. I was hoping for a Liggins 2-way but the Bucks just blocked us by claiming him off waivers. There are a couple of upgrades to Calderon available right now if they quit stalling.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers