Around the NBA: Regular Season Edition

Moderator: G R E Y

Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Around the NBA: Regular Season Edition 

Post#1 » by Nolan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:37 pm

Regular season starts tomorrow with the Celtics in Cleveland and Houston at Golden State. Should be a fun opening night!

Use this thread to discus non Spurs games, transactions and other NBA related stuff!
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,261

Re: Around the NBA: Regular Season Edition 

Post#2 » by imagump1313 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:41 pm

So my first experience of the season was turning on the TV to see Hayward lying on the floor with 20 people around him and people looking like they had just seen Paul George break his leg again. I didn't see the injury happen and I dont want to. I hope this isn't an omen for the season.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Nolan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:49 pm

imagump1313 wrote:So my first experience of the season was turning on the TV to see Hayward lying on the floor with 20 people around him and people looking like they had just seen Paul George break his leg again. I didn't see the injury happen and I dont want to. I hope this isn't an omen for the season.

Please don't watch it. So awful.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Nolan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:08 pm

So Perrantes ended up getting a two deal with the Cav's. I feel like we may regret going with Hillard over him.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Nolan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:48 pm

Read on Twitter

Yikes. Thoughts on this imagump?
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,698

Post#6 » by -Sammy- » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:37 pm

Nolan wrote:
Read on Twitter

That's embarrassing, for Detroit and for the NBA. I suppose it's a consolation that compositing and mixed-reality technologies are improving at such a fast rate that in only a few years, broadcasters will be able to 'digitally enhance' crowds on TV, thus saving the league some face publicly.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Nolan » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:03 pm

So Josh Smith is back... and with the Pelicans. Can't wait to see how that works...
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Post#8 » by Ballings7 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:41 am

Jonathan Simmons with another big game off the bench and finishing for Orlando, tonight...

Been following him every game, and he's been real key for them, on and off the court. Reading the board their fans really like him and see he's making a difference (aside from Aaron Gordon, Isaac, and Fournier).

Great signing for Orlando.

Damn shame he couldn't be kept to build on what he brought last year.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Nolan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:18 pm

Ballings7 wrote:Jonathan Simmons with another big game off the bench and finishing for Orlando, tonight...

Been following him every game, and he's been real key for them, on and off the court. Reading the board their fans really like him and see he's making a difference (aside from Aaron Gordon, Isaac, and Fournier).

Great signing for Orlando.

Damn shame he couldn't be kept to build on what he brought last year.

I'm kinda surprised he's doing so well but at the same time I'm not. His style of play really fits the up tempo style they're playing but I never thought he could be this effective.

I miss him but I think I miss Dedmon more.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Nolan » Wed Nov 1, 2017 3:36 pm

Sixers are talking buyout with Jahlil Okafor. He doesn't exactly fit the mold of a Spurs player but he's young, talented and a big (which we need). I really think he's a better player than he's shown in Philly, could be a real steal.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Nolan » Tue Nov 7, 2017 5:05 pm

Bledsoe to the Bucks for Monroe and a lotto protected first.

Awesome deal for the Bucks. Bledsoe is a perfect fit for them, can play off of Giannis and create on his own.

Also it's going to be interesting to see what the Bucks do with Brogdon. He's done good at PG but I still think he's better suited as an off guard I guess we'll see if the Bucks feel the same.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by imagump1313 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 10:20 pm

Nolan wrote:Sixers are talking buyout with Jahlil Okafor. He doesn't exactly fit the mold of a Spurs player but he's young, talented and a big (which we need). I really think he's a better player than he's shown in Philly, could be a real steal.

I'd like Okafor if they buy him out and he wants to come here. I think Philly wants too much in return for a trade so just wait it out and see what happens.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by imagump1313 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 10:23 pm

Nolan wrote:Bledsoe to the Bucks for Monroe and a lotto protected first.

Awesome deal for the Bucks. Bledsoe is a perfect fit for them, can play off of Giannis and create on his own.

Also it's going to be interesting to see what the Bucks do with Brogdon. He's done good at PG but I still think he's better suited as an off guard I guess we'll see if the Bucks feel the same.

Phoenix is soo stupid and could have gotten so much more for Bledsoe had they handled the situation differently. Milwaukee has a ton of different lineup options now and if they are healthy when Jabari Parker comes back they could be crazy dangerous.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by imagump1313 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 10:51 pm

Call me crazy but we have all heard the rumors and I am really starting to think that the situation in Cleveland is going to result in Lebron James playing for the Spurs next year.

Think about it:
I honestly cant see him going to the Lakers if LA continues to go the direction of stupid Lonzo Ball. Ball and James cannot function on the same floor together. At this point in his career, James would rather be a facilitator at the 1 or even 2 than he would banging around with guys at the 3 or 4. Ball is completely useless off the ball so that situation would never work and I don't see the Lakers giving up on Ball after one year.

James has always taken flak because he is perceived to be the guy making all the decisions including coaching the team. James has always seemed way to concerned about what people think about him. I could honestly see him next year saying "I really want to concentrate on just playing basketball and let others take care of the everything else".

For a situation like that, he would have to trust a coach and origination and the only obvious choice that he respects is Popovich and the Spurs organization. James loves Popovich and has said more than once he would love to play for him.
With Pop being the coach of USA Basketball, he will have plenty of opportunity to convince James to play for him, besides San Antonio's nucleus is James best chance of winning another title IMO. (unless he wants to go to to Houston, but would he rather play for Pop or D'antoni?)

I'll be the first to tell you I have never been a big James fan but the more this plays out, the more it looks like there is actually a chance he winds up here.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by imagump1313 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 11:10 pm

Nolan wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sorry I didn't see this earlier.

Many people are saying its because there are soo many other things to do inside of the arena (clubs, restaurants...etc) that people aren't actually sitting down to watch the games.

My opinion is there is a couple of reasons why people arent coming.

1. The move downtown was stupid IMO. The team had its own arena that was completely paid for in the suburbs. It was still considered one of the best arenas in the league. Now they are a tenant in someone else's arena sharing revenue, not getting prime weekend dates because they have to share with the hockey team. Plus now they have zero parking revenue. I think the value of the team was cut in half by making this move.

2. NO ONE lives in Detroit! I dont care what propaganda gets spilled around, I live and work here. Everyone keeps saying Detroit is making some kind of comeback. Its not. I'm telling you no one lives in Detroit and its been 30 some years that the team has been in the suburbs. It had a following there. I live 10 minutes from the Palace. I could decide at 7pm on any night that I wanted to go to a 7:30 game and be there by 15 minutes before tipoff. The parking was completely secure and easy to get into. It was also completely owned by the team. The arena was family friendly because of where it was located. Now that you have to go downtown, you are approached by bums every 10 feet asking for money. Parking is mostly private now and 5 to 10 times more expensive than it was. You didnt have any of that nonsense in the suburbs. If I want to go to a game now I have to make plans way in advance because of traffic and getting to the arena takes 40 minutes to an hour for anyone who can afford tickets.

3. The team itself. Its just not a likeable team. They are making some strides this year but come here and ask anyone that follows the team and they will tell you that no one here likes Reggie Jackson and most of them have had enough of Drummond. The rest of the roster outside of Tobias Harris is just meh.... It also doesn't help that the Warriors are soo dominant that everyone knows there is no chance at success right now.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Nolan » Sun Dec 3, 2017 3:09 pm

:lol: I love Embiid. Actually I just love this Sixers team, so fun to watch.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Nolan » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:57 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/248269/76ers-Trade-Jahlil-Okafor-Nik-Stauskas-To-Nets-For-Trevor-Booker

The Philadelphia 76ers are nearing an agreement to trade Jahlil Okafor, Nik Stauskas and the New York Knicks' 2019 second round pick to the Brooklyn Nets and Trevor Booker.

Brooklyn will release Sean Kilpatrick to create a roster spot for Okafor and Stauskas.

The Nets have now acquired two of the top-3 picks of the 2015 draft in Okafor and D'Angelo Russell.

Love this deal for the Nets. Okafor's going to get minutes and a chance to prove himself. I know he has his flaws but he's an NBA player and a much better one than he's been in Philly.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by imagump1313 » Fri Dec 8, 2017 11:16 pm

Nolan wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/248269/76ers-Trade-Jahlil-Okafor-Nik-Stauskas-To-Nets-For-Trevor-Booker

The Philadelphia 76ers are nearing an agreement to trade Jahlil Okafor, Nik Stauskas and the New York Knicks' 2019 second round pick to the Brooklyn Nets and Trevor Booker.

Brooklyn will release Sean Kilpatrick to create a roster spot for Okafor and Stauskas.

The Nets have now acquired two of the top-3 picks of the 2015 draft in Okafor and D'Angelo Russell.

Love this deal for the Nets. Okafor's going to get minutes and a chance to prove himself. I know he has his flaws but he's an NBA player and a much better one than he's been in Philly.

Great situation for Okafor because he should play a lot for them. And also he is a FA next year so he can showcase himself for the rest of the league.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Nolan » Fri Dec 8, 2017 11:21 pm

imagump1313 wrote:Great situation for Okafor because he should play a lot for them. And also he is a FA next year so he can showcase himself for the rest of the league.

It's crazy what Marks has done in Brooklyn in such a short time. That Nets team is actually looking pretty damn decent.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by imagump1313 » Sat Dec 9, 2017 12:58 am

Nolan wrote:It's crazy what Marks has done in Brooklyn in such a short time. That Nets team is actually looking pretty damn decent.

Indeed. They have a lot of likeable young guys with some upside if they can stay healthy. Its gone from a hopeless situation to a nice young team.

Return to San Antonio Spurs