NBA draft & NCAA basketball

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 404

NBA draft & NCAA basketball 

Post#1 » by Grang33r » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:14 pm

With Hoosier Hysteria being tonight it means the start of the college basketball season is upon us. Figured we could use this space to discuss anything in local college basketball hoops, or any interesting story nationwide, or just discuss potential prospects that could be good fits for the Indiana Pacers. Outside of some kind of a magical season by the Pacers, we should be picking somewhere in the top-10.

Anyhow, never too early for mock drafts- https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/9/19/16333082/2018-lottery-mock-draft-1

7. Indiana Pacers: Collin Sexton

Point guard, Alabama, freshman (6-foot-3, 190 pounds, 18 years old)

O’Connor: Watching high school highlight clips can be tedious since they’re often poorly edited and rarely include mistakes, so it’s often hard to get a good idea of what exactly a prospect is like. But Sexton is always fun to watch, and he’s the most well-rounded guard in this lottery. He relentlessly attacks the defense, finishes ambidextrously at the rim, and runs a tight pick-and-roll. He also can be the team’s halftime entertainer:

He also talks major trash and has a rivalry with UCLA freshman guard Jaylen Hands.

These qualities are a sign of immaturity, but swagger can be a nice to quality to have. Sexton plays with attitude and fire that are contagious to his teammates, and he works hard off the court. He’ll need to cut down on turnovers and make better decisions with the ball, but for as long as he maintains his merciless mentality, Sexton will be a threat to maximize his potential through sheer hard work.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Re: NBA draft & NCAA basketball 

Post#2 » by Wizop » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:02 am

I like Turner, Sabonis, and Leaf so a 4 or 5 would have to be very special to be worth drafting. I also think we live with Dipo so a wing would have to be tall enough to defend 3's. it's really too early to evaluate the one and dones.

Sent from my SM-G935P using RealGM mobile app
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,323

Post#3 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:05 pm

Ayton just does not even look fair. With his size and athleticism, if he stays healthy and gets good coaching, he could be a top 3 NBA player. I mean, he is 7 feet, crazy strong, and moves like a wing. Plus, some of those rebounds are vicious.

Timestamps for Ayton highlights in the video:

0:14
1:57
2:20
4:02
4:30
4:50
5:18
5:47
6:12
8:00

Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#4 » by Grang33r » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:08 am

The videos of Ayton playing in high school are just hilarious. I can't wait to see him play in college but if we're picking 1 or 2 im still going Porter or Bagley III though. Im in love with them.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#5 » by Wizop » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:04 pm

I'll be surprised if we pick in the top 3. Even if we do have a high pick, I may be on team trade down. Most of the names at the top of nbadraft.net are bigs and with Turner, Sabonis, and Leaf (plus Ike) I just don't see C or PF as a need. Pritchard used to wheel and deal on draft day when he was in Portland and I'd be happy if he'd do that again in 2018. Of course, it's early and a PG or a SF could climb up the board.

That said, I've never been an nbadraft.net fan and I'm unhappy that I've lost Draft Digest to ESPN although it's nice to see a realgm guy succeed (draft digest used to be a part of realgm until they had a falling out over a story). I probably need to find a new goto draft site.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#6 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:22 pm

Wizop wrote:I'll be surprised if we pick in the top 3. Even if we do have a high pick, I may be on team trade down. Most of the names at the top of nbadraft.net are bigs and with Turner, Sabonis, and Leaf (plus Ike) I just don't see C or PF as a need. Pritchard used to wheel and deal on draft day when he was in Portland and I'd be happy if he'd do that again in 2018. Of course, it's early and a PG or a SF could climb up the board.

That said, I've never been an nbadraft.net fan and I'm unhappy that I've lost Draft Digest to ESPN although it's nice to see a realgm guy succeed (draft digest used to be a part of realgm until they had a falling out over a story). I probably need to find a new goto draft site.

I don't think we'll have a top pick either, but if we do, you don't pass on a potential Franchise changing big for Sabonis(and I freaking LOVE Sabonis).

Unfortunately, as of right now, there seem to be like 7 or so "top talents" in this draft, and outside of Porter(projected #1 by most) and Doncic, they are mostly PF/C types. As of now, it projects to be a pretty weak class for other positions.

As you said though, its super early. Things can definitely change and someone might come out of no where and light up everyone. I hope that is the case because I'd agree I'd rather get a PG or SG. BUTTTT, if we are picking top 3 - we should not trade down unless we are getting a hell of a deal. There could be some Franchise changers there and pairing them with Turner could give us a new age Twin Towers.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#7 » by Wizop » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:32 pm

given our history of players with similar names - Hills, Youngs, Paul George and George Hill, CJ Miles and Myles Turner. - keep an eye on Miles Bridges.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Post#8 » by Jstock12 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:11 pm

So far, 3 games into the season, Doncic is the main contender to win the Euroleague MVP award. At 18 years old. Crazy.

He just had another monster game with a Performance Index Rating of 41...

27:25 minutes, 27 points (7/14 FG, 2/5 3PT, 11/12 FT), 8 rebounds, 5 assists (only 1 turnover), 3 steals and 10 drawn fouls.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#9 » by Jake0890 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:29 am

Love the thread idea. Best time of the year coming up. CBB, NBA, NFL, CFB all simultaneous.

Don't sleep on my boy Bonzie Colson at ND this year. IMO, best player in the ACC right next to Grayson Allen. Dude is undersized but has KD level wingspan and plays like a big man. Looks a lot like young Draymond imo.

But Miles Bridges looks like a MAN.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#10 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:25 am

Jake0890 wrote:Love the thread idea. Best time of the year coming up. CBB, NBA, NFL, CFB all simultaneous.

Don't sleep on my boy Bonzie Colson at ND this year. IMO, best player in the ACC right next to Grayson Allen. Dude is undersized but has KD level wingspan and plays like a big man. Looks a lot like young Draymond imo.

While he may not be flashy, or much of an NBA prospect, I think you are still forgetting about Joel Berry, the MVP of the NCAA Toruny last year.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#11 » by Grang33r » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:26 am

Wizop wrote:That said, I've never been an nbadraft.net fan and I'm unhappy that I've lost Draft Digest to ESPN although it's nice to see a realgm guy succeed (draft digest used to be a part of realgm until they had a falling out over a story). I probably need to find a new goto draft site.

Do you mean draft express? Loved that site too and since moving to espn i may have to subscribe for their coverage, it was just too good not to have. I had no idea that used to be part of realgm though. Thats wild, and ive followed this site and them for a very long time, im stunned to now have known. Unless draft digest is something completely different...
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#12 » by Grang33r » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:27 am

Wizop wrote:given our history of players with similar names - Hills, Youngs, Paul George and George Hill, CJ Miles and Myles Turner. - keep an eye on Miles Bridges.

haha this made me laugh bc it's so true :lol:

But, all jokes aside, i would love Miles Bridges on this team. I'm worried about where he would fit in the NBA but the guy is electric and a gamer.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#13 » by Wizop » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:13 pm

Grang33r wrote:Do you mean draft express?

I knew that Digest didn't sound right. I even pulled down my short-cut menu to check the name but I'd deleted the icon. senior moment.

yes, Draft Express and I too may need to join ESPN just to read it unless we can find another spot. the NFL draft has a ton of excellent sites so maybe there is something out there for the NBA that I haven't found. CBS is a possibility.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#14 » by Wizop » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:25 pm

Grang33r wrote:But, all jokes aside, i would love Miles Bridges on this team. I'm worried about where he would fit in the NBA but the guy is electric and a gamer.

put him on the front line with Turner and Sabonis and let the other team figure out how to deal with it. unfortunately, I expect him to be gone before we pick unless everyone casts him as a tweener.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#15 » by Grang33r » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:49 pm

Haha this is different

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21154348

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#16 » by Jake0890 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:17 am

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:
Jake0890 wrote:Love the thread idea. Best time of the year coming up. CBB, NBA, NFL, CFB all simultaneous.

While he may not be flashy, or much of an NBA prospect, I think you are still forgetting about Joel Berry, the MVP of the NCAA Toruny last year.

Slipped my mind. He's probably #3 behind Allen and Colson in my mind. But you're right, he's probably gonna fall late into the draft like Frank Mason III.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#17 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:39 am

Grang33r wrote:Haha this is different

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21154348

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

What a ploob.

-Resident Tar Heel fan
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#18 » by Grang33r » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:42 am

Wizop wrote:
Grang33r wrote:Do you mean draft express?

I knew that Digest didn't sound right. I even pulled down my short-cut menu to check the name but I'd deleted the icon. senior moment.

yes, Draft Express and I too may need to join ESPN just to read it unless we can find another spot. the NFL draft has a ton of excellent sites so maybe there is something out there for the NBA that I haven't found. CBS is a possibility.

haha nice. So yeah, i had no idea they started on realgm. Thats crazy.

As for CBS, i'm not too high on them. I'm a nerd when it comes to the draft and studying prospects and reviewing the draft process, and CBS is wrong so often that each time i wonder why do i continue? For example, they gave the Pacers a F for picking Paul George and a D for picking Myles Turner.

On yahoo, at the time i remember Marc Stein was still with Woj, and he gave the Pacers an A and said Turner will be a top 3 player of the draft class. If you really dig in, CBS has more wrongs like they did on the Pacers then most other platforms.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#19 » by Wizop » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:53 pm

RealGM Radio has a draft podcast online. I tried to listen in my Computer's Browser and it kept stopping and starting, but I Googled it and found it is on Stitcher which is an Android App I already have on my phone and there it ran without problems. I suspect Stitcher just has more bandwidth on its server than RealGM does.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#20 » by Grang33r » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:03 am

Wizop wrote:RealGM Radio has a draft podcast online. I tried to listen in my Computer's Browser and it kept stopping and starting, but I Googled it and found it is on Stitcher which is an Android App I already have on my phone and there it ran without problems. I suspect Stitcher just has more bandwidth on its server than RealGM does.

Hmm. I'll have to look for it. I listen to a RealGM podcast and once in a while they have a guest to discuss the draft and college bball and thats sweet. I didn't know they had a podcast just for the draft.

Return to Indiana Pacers