Jaren Jackson Jr.

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,080

Jaren Jackson Jr. 

Post#1 » by The-Power » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:34 pm

My favorite ‘slightly under the radar‘ player looked ready to dominate on defense in his first exhibition game.

14 Points, 8 Rebounds, 8 Blocks. A couple of nice drives on offense but more importantly completely suffocating on defense. Weaker competition than what he'll face later but he should have a great season with the Spartans.

The Spartans will be something to watch this year anyway. Bridges and his powerful athleticism are obviously back for another run, Jackson is going to dominante defensively and Winston is one of the best passers in college who likes to push the tempo – should be fun to see what Izzo can get out of this team. Shooting is probably going to be erratic from game to game but in theory they have everything you need to win big.

A potential top 5 pick in your eyes?
thr3ep01nte4
Junior
And1: 150

Jaren Jackson Jr. 

Post#2 » by thr3ep01nte4 » Fri Nov 3, 2017 5:30 am

I think there are three types of big men that can be great in the NBA.
1. Premium bigs who can basically do it all: down low, shoot from outside, rebound, protect the rim. This type includes Boogie, AD, Embiid, KAT’s defense lacks a bit.
2. Highly skilled at one or two things offensively and fits the modern game. This type includes Porzingis and Jokic.
3. Exceptionally good at defense. This type includes Gobert. Deandre Jordan is not as good.

So it seems to me this guy is more towards the Nerlens Noel type. He can become a good and serviceable starter, but not a great big man in the NBA. So not worthy of a top 5 pick.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,235

Re: Jaren Jackson Jr. 

Post#3 » by PhilBlackson » Fri Nov 3, 2017 7:32 pm

thr3ep01nte4 wrote:I think there are three types of big men that can be great in the NBA.
1. Premium bigs who can basically do it all: down low, shoot from outside, rebound, protect the rim. This type includes Boogie, AD, Embiid, KAT’s defense lacks a bit.
2. Highly skilled at one or two things offensively and fits the modern game. This type includes Porzingis and Jokic.
3. Exceptionally good at defense. This type includes Gobert. Deandre Jordan is not as good.

So it seems to me this guy is more towards the Nerlens Noel type. He can become a good and serviceable starter, but not a great big man in the NBA. So not worthy of a top 5 pick.

While I wouldn't take him top 5, I think he can be better than Noel because he's physically stronger and has a better looking shooting touch (although nothing great). Not to mention the plethora of injuries that have effected Nerlens.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#4 » by doordoor123 » Fri Nov 3, 2017 8:07 pm

thr3ep01nte4 wrote:I think there are three types of big men that can be great in the NBA.

You realize how old he is right? And you realize bigs take the longest to develop? You also realize it's his first college game and he can improve throughout the year?
thr3ep01nte4
Junior
And1: 150

Post#5 » by thr3ep01nte4 » Fri Nov 3, 2017 9:29 pm

doordoor123 wrote:

You realize how old he is right? And you realize bigs take the longest to develop? You also realize it's his first college game and he can improve throughout the year?

He didn't show much skill against very weak competition. Look at the skill level of Ayton, KAT, when they came out of high school.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by doordoor123 » Fri Nov 3, 2017 10:26 pm

thr3ep01nte4 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

He didn't show much skill against very weak competition. Look at the skill level of Ayton, KAT, when they came out of high school.

KAT is an exception and with him we're talking one of the best bigs in the game at a very young age. Players like that don't come around often. Bigs often don't have big Man skills till they reach the NBA. Part of that is lack of muscle, lack for need of post moves or post defense and just the general game going more toward face up players. Someone like Jahlil Okafor was such a big deal because he learned those post moves, but the issue is that it isn't the NBA game anymore. Nowadays most bigs that work out are bigs based on potential because they have time to figure it out like Rudy Gobert, Myles Turner, DeAndre Jordan, etc. I mention Gobert, Turner and Jordan because when they were drafted, they were players that needed to be developed. Turner working out quickly was an outlier, but his production in college wasn't good.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,080

Post#7 » by The-Power » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:59 pm

Great debut to the season for him. Dominated inside on defense (I definitely counted more blocks than 4, certainly felt like the actual number was closer to 10 than it was to 4) and has shown some offensive promise.

13/13/3/2/4 on good efficiency (9/10 on FTs) in just 22 minutes. As expected, the first game of him, Bridges and Winston was fun even though the opponent was quite clearly overmatched.
The Master
Rookie
And1: 1,580

Post#8 » by The Master » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:38 am

The-Power wrote:13/13/3/2/4 on good efficiency (9/10 on FTs) in just 22 minutes. As expected, the first game of him, Bridges and Winston was fun even though the opponent was quite clearly overmatched.

Jackson is very raw as a prospect (over a year younger than Ayton or Bamba) but in fact he's better version of Myles Turner in college - better rebounding, similiar shooting touch, much more aggressive, better movement - and Turner in his second season in NBA was 15-8-2 guy with very good defense. Also, Turner would be top5 pick in redraft '15.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,765

Post#9 » by Upperclass » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:43 am

He looks like young Tyson Chandler.. gotta be top 8
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Post#10 » by Catchall » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:31 am

It depends on his shooting. If he can stretch the floor, then he's like a slightly smaller Myles Turner, imo.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
blazeyo
Sixth Man
And1: 1,864

Post#11 » by blazeyo » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:49 am

This guy can not bust. Has every tool in the book to be a good starter. Question is, does he have the talent to be a star?
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,912

Post#12 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:54 am

PF or C?

And NBA comparison?
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#13 » by No-Man » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:42 am

He reminds me of Ekpe Udoh with a jumpshot
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Post#14 » by Catchall » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:35 pm

Mulhollanddrive wrote:PF or C?

And NBA comparison?

Depends on the system, but he could play either. It looks like he can defend out on the floor.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by doordoor123 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:05 pm

Tuesday's game is going to be a big deal for him to me. I need to see what he can do against top-tier competition.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#16 » by Marcus » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:19 am

I haven't seen the kid. I need to tune in because I'm seeing his name everywhere.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,793

Post#17 » by yoyoboy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:03 am

Only caught the last few minutes of the game. For those who watched most of it how did he look today?
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,356

Post#18 » by CptCrunch » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:35 am

yoyoboy wrote:Only caught the last few minutes of the game. For those who watched most of it how did he look today?

Not sure if he is supposed to be shooting 3's at a high rate. His shooting form is not ideal, but it is smooth. His FT shooting from last game was impressive.

Michigan State was turnover city tonight so not going to fault him for turning the ball over.

He seems to have good shot blocking instincts.

He looked good overall. He is a huge sleeper despite many draft boards already putting him at #6-8. I think he has solid chances at #4-5 assuming one of the big 4 slips, and he can definitely overtake Bamba.

Blocks and 3 point shooting? That is a dream combo for your PF/C.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#19 » by Marcus » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:13 am

First time really seeing him so I'll defer to someone with more knowledge to let me know whether or not that shot is real. Color me impressed though. Active, long, springy, fighter. Needs some more awareness but that's to be expected. Definitely liked what I saw and im onboard with the appeal. Gonna keep an eye on him this year for sure.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
gopher wolf
Sophomore
And1: 15

Post#20 » by gopher wolf » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:00 am

Mulhollanddrive wrote:PF or C?

And NBA comparison?

To me he is exactly like what we all thought Harry Giles would look like before the knee injuries.

Return to NBA Draft