NBA Gatorade League: Agua Caliente Clippers of Ontario

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Alternative Approach to Player Development 

Post#61 » by Ranma » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:47 pm

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,898

Re: Alternative Approach to Player Development 

Post#62 » by esqtvd » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:17 pm

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

The NBA is swimming in cash but has no real idea on how to use it to grow the business. [Neither do I.] Expansion of the G-League may make some small improvement in the product, that marginal players will be more proficient as they're pressed into service due to injuries [or Popovich's rests]. The other strategy is to grow the game internationally but I don't know if that will return much to the actual bottom line. Europe is 5-10 hours ahead, which puts live NBA telecasts in the middle of the night. And 7:30 PM in New York is 7:30 AM in Shanghai.

As a superstar-driven league--more than any sport or league in the world, IMO--I think the NBA is stuck where it is. Encouraging youth basketball is not going to produce more LeBrons or make them better. The league's investment cash is all dressed up with no place to go.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Re: NBA Gatorade League: Agua Caliente Clippers of Ontario 

Post#63 » by TucsonClip » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:54 pm

esqtvd wrote:
The NBA is swimming in cash but has no real idea on how to use it to grow the business. [Neither do I.] Expansion of the G-League may make some small improvement in the product, that marginal players will be more proficient as they're pressed into service due to injuries [or Popovich's rests]. The other strategy is to grow the game internationally but I don't know if that will return much to the actual bottom line. Europe is 5-10 hours ahead, which puts live NBA telecasts in the middle of the night. And 7:30 PM in New York is 7:30 AM in Shanghai.

As a superstar-driven league--more than any sport or league in the world, IMO--I think the NBA is stuck where it is. Encouraging youth basketball is not going to produce more LeBrons or make them better. The league's investment cash is all dressed up with no place to go.

The NBA has been cutting edge on nearly every conceivable platform, especially technologically, to increase globalism and expansion. I would strongly disagree the league is "stuck where it is." There are plenty of new ideas coming down the pipeline just to increase the fan experience in the arena, not to mention even more for the fan at home. Thats just viewing the game...

Look no further than our own Steve Ballmer's ideas such as intermingling technology, statistics, and the fan experience via streaming, tv viewership, and in arena.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#64 » by esqtvd » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:50 pm

TucsonClip wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

The NBA has been cutting edge on nearly every conceivable platform, especially technologically, to increase globalism and expansion. I would strongly disagree the league is "stuck where it is." There are plenty of new ideas coming down the pipeline just to increase the fan experience in the arena, not to mention even more for the fan at home. Thats just viewing the game...

Look no further than our own Steve Ballmer's ideas such as intermingling technology, statistics, and the fan experience via streaming, tv viewership, and in arena.

Well, that's exactly the point. What you're listing here is the NBA throwing all sorts of speculative investment cash into its product, but my question is whether those pennies will come back dressed as nickels, as the saying goes. Can they charge more for the product, increase attendance and viewership, create more revenue? I dunno. The game's still the game.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#65 » by TucsonClip » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:03 am

esqtvd wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Well, that's exactly the point. What you're listing here is the NBA throwing all sorts of speculative investment cash into its product, but my question is whether those pennies will come back dressed as nickels, as the saying goes. Can they charge more for the product, increase attendance and viewership, create more revenue? I dunno. The game's still the game.

Sorry if I misunderstood, its been a crazy week... Clearly.

Yeah, I do think they will be able turn those pennies into some sort of larger currency, at least if you factor in the decline of cable as we know/knew it. I think globalization is not only the hunt for new and emerging markets, but also status quo in a shifting market. The success is certainly not worth its data in gold, but the past has to provide quite a bit of hope and direction for the future.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#66 » by mkwest » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:46 pm

Read on Twitter
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#67 » by mkwest » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:19 pm

Read on Twitter
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#68 » by mkwest » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:32 pm

Read on Twitter
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#69 » by mkwest » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:11 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#70 » by esqtvd » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:25 am

5 guys made it by trying out--$175 registration fee

good investment

Jonathon Simmons paid $150 for his D-League tryout with the Spurs
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#71 » by mkwest » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:15 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#72 » by Forte IV » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:18 am

Read on Twitter

3 guys from the local tryout.

Surprised by that Sykes kid. He was drafted in the 3rd round and our GM said he had NBA call-up potential. Guess not.
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#73 » by esqtvd » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:55 am

mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#74 » by mkwest » Sat Nov 4, 2017 1:21 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Clippers play the Warriors tonight in Ontario @ 7PM.
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#75 » by Forte IV » Sat Nov 4, 2017 2:35 am

Who are the commentators? They're awful lmao.
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,179

Post#76 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Nov 4, 2017 3:24 am

Even our D-League team is getting owned by the Warriors... SMH. :noway:
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#77 » by esqtvd » Sat Nov 4, 2017 3:59 am

mkwest wrote:
Read on Twitter

Thx as always for the updates, MK. Kendall Marshall was quite adequate and a good veteran presence for our fetuses in the Summer League. Glad the Clips org showed him some respect. Class always pays off in the end.
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Post#78 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Sat Nov 4, 2017 7:33 pm

We got smoked by the Warriors GLeague team last night. Brice and Jawun had decent playing time.
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#79 » by Neddy » Sun Nov 5, 2017 6:26 pm

thanumba2clippersfan wrote:We got smoked by the Warriors GLeague team last night. Brice and Jawun had decent playing time.

different leagues, same results.

how's your baby? still breaking TVs?
ehhhhh f it.
Don Tommy
Senior
And1: 283

Post#80 » by Don Tommy » Tue Nov 7, 2017 9:03 am

How do you watch the games?

Return to Los Angeles Clippers