Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Wendell Carter 

Post#1 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Nov 5, 2017 6:14 am

If Marcus or the other mods want to merge this into the 2018 draft thread I get it, dont need a thread for every prospect. But I thought Id start one for Carter because well Im pumped on him and he looks to be the real deal. Just like all the other top prospects hes been putting up big time numbers in these exhibitions (23/14/3 on 11-13 shooting today), but the main thing I'm pumped on is how bouncy this guy has been looking. Hes getting off the ground really quick and he is getting up there. His bounce was one of his biggest question marks, but in these first few exhibitions his bounce has been one of the things that has really stood out to me.

Really excited to see him and Jaren Jackson go head to head pretty soon.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,600

Re: Wendell Carter 

Post#2 » by atlantabbq99 » Mon Nov 6, 2017 11:51 am

Wendell is already at 260lbs as a high schooler, if he can get to a healthy 280-290lbs, he could be a middle or poor man's DeMarcus Cousins, or rich man's Al Horford. Wendell is an athletic mobile big with a jump shot, who has old school toughness like Charles Oakley. I have him at #2 on my early board.

No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#3 » by No-Man » Mon Nov 6, 2017 3:33 pm

280 is way too much for him, I like his profile, just worry about his real impact, he is solid across the board but he doesn't have the same type of imposing athleticism that a guy like Favors had, or the same skill level/feel that Horford does, like if he stays in-between, how good is he? esp as a PF, if he gets close to be the right mix of those 2 he is a top5 talent no doubt, but if he is the lower version of each... he is probably just a rotation big/stop-gap guy at best, and we have tons of those.

And also I know he is supposed to be 6'10, but he feels/plays tiny for his size, like Dray for example is 6'7 but feels 6'10, I normally feel the opposite with Carter.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#4 » by Marcus » Mon Nov 6, 2017 6:04 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:If Marcus or the other mods want to merge this into the 2018 draft thread I get it, dont need a thread for every prospect. But I thought Id start one for Carter because well Im pumped on him and he looks to be the real deal. Just like all the other top prospects hes been putting up big time numbers in these exhibitions (23/14/3 on 11-13 shooting today), but the main thing I'm pumped on is how bouncy this guy has been looking. Hes getting off the ground really quick and he is getting up there. His bounce was one of his biggest question marks, but in these first few exhibitions his bounce has been one of the things that has really stood out to me.

Really excited to see him and Jaren Jackson go head to head pretty soon.

Never thought bounce was a problem with him. He's very springy for his size. He isn't as fluid as the other guys and that's where the ceiling separation happens. But yeah you know i love me some Wendell so I'm glad to see folks coming around. lol.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#5 » by Kolkmania » Tue Nov 7, 2017 9:52 am

Very high on him. Like his feel for the game, ball handling, passing and rebounding instincts. Need to see his defensive impact this year, especially his footwork on the perimeter and ability to protect the rim. If he has enough defensive versatility then he's basically a prototypical big for me, excelling in an offense based on ball movement and the ability to stay on the court even in PO environments when the game goes small.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#6 » by Marcus » Tue Nov 7, 2017 5:19 pm

Kolkmania wrote:Very high on him. Like his feel for the game, ball handling, passing and rebounding instincts. Need to see his defensive impact this year, especially his footwork on the perimeter and ability to protect the rim. If he has enough defensive versatility then he's basically a prototypical big for me, excelling in an offense based on ball movement and the ability to stay on the court even in PO environments when the game goes small.

I think rim protection will show to be very good. he's active around the cup and makes good reads. On the perimeter i think the effort will be there but he won't be able to stay in front of every guard he's on an island with. But he isn't reachy and not an on-ball block hunter so he should be able to recover effectively enough with some help.

The Al Horford with rebounding and rim-protection comps are pretty accurate in terms of having a complete skillset without being otherworldly at any one thing.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,191

Post#7 » by Catchall » Tue Nov 7, 2017 9:48 pm

He may be a bit underrated given all the attention around the other big prospects. He's going to look good this year.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by Marcus » Tue Nov 7, 2017 10:11 pm

Catchall wrote:He may be a bit underrated given all the attention around the other big prospects. He's going to look good this year.

He's not sexy enough to shoot up the draft boards I don't think. But whomever does select him will be getting a player. With his game so perfectly suited for the current league and his personality he will more than likely be a bigger star after the draft than he will heading into it.
Watch More Basketball

atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,600

Post#9 » by atlantabbq99 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:21 pm

He had a good first game, even though he had limited minutes. I thought that he looked better than Bagley
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#10 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:05 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:He had a good first game, even though he had limited minutes. I thought that he looked better than Bagley

I agree. I think Wendell was the low dominant individual force. The few times he got the ball down low he was unstoppable and he was just an overall beast down low with his rebounding and rim protecting.
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,670

Post#11 » by Jkam31 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:07 am

Does he space the floor? He has great measurements 6’9-260 7’3 wingspans 9’0 reach

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:12 am

Jkam31 wrote:Does he space the floor? He has great measurements 6’9-260 7’3 wingspans 9’0 reach

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

He has a solid jumper to about 18ft as of right now and he does have the green light from K to shoot the 3.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:52 am

12/6/2 with 2 stls and 4 blocks so far in the first half for Carter. He also has made a 3.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#14 » by King Ken » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:00 am

atlantabbq99 wrote:Wendell is already at 260lbs as a high schooler, if he can get to a healthy 280-290lbs, he could be a middle or poor man's DeMarcus Cousins, or rich man's Al Horford. Wendell is an athletic mobile big with a jump shot, who has old school toughness like Charles Oakley. I have him at #2 on my early board.

LOL, rich man's Al Horford. It's not even possible for him to impact the way Al impacts the game. His understanding even at a college level would need far more seasoning. I don't have a comparison for him yet but Al Horford much less a rich man's Al Horford is quite insane.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#15 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:43 am

King Ken wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:Wendell is already at 260lbs as a high schooler, if he can get to a healthy 280-290lbs, he could be a middle or poor man's DeMarcus Cousins, or rich man's Al Horford. Wendell is an athletic mobile big with a jump shot, who has old school toughness like Charles Oakley. I have him at #2 on my early board.

LOL, rich man's Al Horford. It's not even possible for him to impact the way Al impacts the game. His understanding even at a college level would need far more seasoning. I don't have a comparison for him yet but Al Horford much less a rich man's Al Horford is quite insane.

Al averaged 5/6/1 on 48% shooting as a freshman. Wendell's understanding of the game is far ahead of Al's when he was a freshman.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#16 » by GimmeDat » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:11 pm

I really like Wendell. Not the 'sexiest' prospect, but when it's all said and done I think he could be as high as #6 or so.
blazeyo
Sixth Man
And1: 1,864

Post#17 » by blazeyo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:24 pm

GimmeDat wrote:I really like Wendell. Not the 'sexiest' prospect, but when it's all said and done I think he could be as high as #6 or so.

People tend to go for the sexy pick. Nothing new. When it's all said and done, sometimes it's clearly the wrong choice.

Carter is excellent.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#18 » by No-Man » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:09 pm

blazeyo wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:I really like Wendell. Not the 'sexiest' prospect, but when it's all said and done I think he could be as high as #6 or so.

People tend to go for the sexy pick. Nothing new. When it's all said and done, sometimes it's clearly the wrong choice.

Carter is excellent.

Carter is good but not sure how to value him honestly, if he is let's say Kyle O'Quinn, how much would you really pay for that? not saying that he is, but he has yet to show a level of dynamism to leapfrog other guys for me.
blazeyo
Sixth Man
And1: 1,864

Post#19 » by blazeyo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:36 pm

Fischella wrote:
blazeyo wrote:

Carter is excellent.

Carter is good but not sure how to value him honestly, if he is let's say Kyle O'Quinn, how much would you really pay for that? not saying that he is, but he has yet to show a level of dynamism to leapfrog other guys for me.

I have no idea how to value him either, because he is one of those guys that isn't easy to gauge so soon unlike other prospects where I see their flaws right away.
He needs more games under his belt and more exposure.

O'Quinn was a 2nd round pick.. I get the comparison, but too soon for me, still.
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#20 » by 916fan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:41 pm

Carter really stood out vs. Utah Valley, but it's too early to tell what he does well. He's not overly athletic, but is very fluid for his size. He's been a surprisingly very good shotblocker. One thing that stood out is that he has good passing IQ from the high-post. I think we'll need until Dec to get a feel for his game. He's been impressive though.

Return to NBA Draft