ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Yankees Thread

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,348

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#7461 » by F N 11 » Wed Nov 8, 2017 3:31 pm

Rob Thompson being interviewed? lmao. This is a joke right?
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#7462 » by Mecca » Wed Nov 8, 2017 3:37 pm

K P 6 wrote:Rob Thompson being interviewed? lmao. This is a joke right?

He'll prob get the job too. I really don't like how Cash threw Girardi under the bus.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#7463 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Nov 8, 2017 4:42 pm

Yankees are targeting Shohei Otani as the replacement for the expiring contracts of their highest paid player, CC Sabbathia $25M/per and DH Matt Holliday $13M/season.

Now, in order to win the rights to try and sign Otani, the Yankees have to get into a bidding war with their club. That can cost up to $30M then to sign him, it's variable. on the Michael Kay show they broke it down and it seemed like a bargain because the current MLB CBA has a cap to the signing that benefits MLB.

The game plan is to have Otani as the DH when he's not pitching. Not a bad idea considering the FA market for pitching is skimpy.

Locked in Starters...

RP: Tanaka
RP: Severino
RP: Gray

Then it gets interesting...

LP: CC Sabbathia
LP: Jordan Montgomery
RP: Michael Pineda

I'm interested in re-signing CC to a 1-year deal but no more.

Keep Jordan Montgomery in the mix because no one stays healthy over the duration of 162 games anymore. Girardi using Montgomery in spots to give guys 6 days rest on occasion has been instrumental in keeping his vets healthy.

Not sure if Pineda is a FA or not but he had Tommy John Surgery and that can take a long time to rehab...

Otani as the 5th starter. With Japanese pitchers, I DO think having a lefty like Montgomery is going to keep Tanaka and Otani's arms fresh.

Now this DOES shorten the pen but if you get length out of your starters (and you should) then this is not a problem.

Now here's the $64,000 question: What do YOU do with Betances?
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,572

Post#7464 » by Rich Rane » Wed Nov 8, 2017 6:31 pm

A difference of $285,000 separates the Rangers and the Yankees for Shohei Otani.
The Rangers can agree to a maximum $3,535,000 signing bonus from their pool that covers July 2 through next June 15, according to figures compiled by Major League Baseball and obtained by The Associated Press. New York can pay $3.25 million and the Twins $3,245,000.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2017/11/08/texas-can-pay-most-for-otani-followed-by-yankees-and-twins/107466070/
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#7465 » by Rich Rane » Wed Nov 8, 2017 6:34 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Not sure if Pineda is a FA or not but he had Tommy John Surgery and that can take a long time to rehab...

He is a free agent and I don't see the Yankees bringing him back because of the TJS.

I'd prefer him gone, but with his second half and postseason, who would want him?
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#7466 » by Mecca » Wed Nov 8, 2017 7:27 pm

I have an inside source that told me Mark Derosa is getting an interview with the club. I know people at MLBTV where he works. Would like the hire.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#7467 » by MaseInYourFace » Wed Nov 8, 2017 8:05 pm

Rich Rane wrote:A difference of $285,000 separates the Rangers and the Yankees for Shohei Otani.
The Rangers can agree to a maximum $3,535,000 signing bonus from their pool that covers July 2 through next June 15, according to figures compiled by Major League Baseball and obtained by The Associated Press. New York can pay $3.25 million and the Twins $3,245,000.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2017/11/08/texas-can-pay-most-for-otani-followed-by-yankees-and-twins/107466070/

He would make so much more money here over the life of his career.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#7468 » by MaseInYourFace » Wed Nov 8, 2017 8:07 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:Not sure if Pineda is a FA or not but he had Tommy John Surgery and that can take a long time to rehab...

He is a free agent and I don't see the Yankees bringing him back because of the TJS.

I'd prefer him gone, but with his second half and postseason, who would want him?

You wouldn't be dealing him at his value peak but teams will be interested. His career numbers are still elite.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#7469 » by Rich Rane » Wed Nov 8, 2017 10:36 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:A difference of $285,000 separates the Rangers and the Yankees for Shohei Otani.

He would make so much more money here over the life of his career.

Exactly, which is why I think the Yanks have a great chance if he's ever posted.

MaseInYourFace wrote:You wouldn't be dealing him at his value peak but teams will be interested. His career numbers are still elite.

Very true, but I just wonder how many teams were scared away with what they saw.

Still...
LRP Montgomery/Otani
MRP Green
MRP Warren
SU Kahnle
SU Robertson
CL Chapman

Not a bad bullpen. Wonder if Adams gets a Severino run in the bullpen as well.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#7470 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Nov 9, 2017 2:14 pm

I’m definitely warming up to Otani. Locking up good young pitching is HUGE in balancing out the salary structure. Certainly better than giving out $100+M for a guy at age 29-30 yrs who develops back pain.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,018

Post#7471 » by moocow007 » Thu Nov 9, 2017 2:18 pm

So some things about Otani...

1. His "idol" while growing up in Japan was Yu Darvish (not Tanaka)
2. When he was 18 he thought about coming to the majors straight from HS. The 3 teams that he talked to the most were the Rangers, the Dodgers and the Giants
3. The major league player he most likes to watch (i.e. admires) is Bryce Harper

Him being a fan of Darvish isn't unusual as Darvish, between the exotic/unusual look and the talent, was like a rock star in Japan and a lot of young people in Japan were huge fans. They are close though.

Him talking most to the Rangers, Dodgers and Giants may or may not be an indication about what teams he favors (4 years is a long time ago). It could just be an indication that those teams were early followers of his talent. Darvish was already with the Rangers at that time so the Rangers inclusion could be because Darvish was on the team. The Dodgers and Giants are west coast teams and traditionally among the teams that Asian players are associated with. The Dodgers also have an extremely potent scouting department and they do more than just about any team in baseball in terms of looking for players.

Bryce Harper apparently is his "favorite" major league player. He admires Harper in terms of how he hits, his intensity (love him or hate him, Harper does go about as full tilt and wears his baseball emotions on his sleeve more than just about any player in baseball) as well as how he carries himself with the media circus that usually follows him. So that may help sway him to the Yankees as the Yankees-Harper marriage has been talked about for years and years now and the Yankees appear very much planning to go "all in" on spending big on one of the big guys (Harper is in that group) once they reset their tax.

I would expect the Rangers and Dodgers to probably be the biggest challengers (he's not signing with the Twins who have the 3rd most money, let's just get that out of the way).

The drawback of the Rangers is that they are not a very good team and I'm not sure the foundation they have there nor the front office is something that screams come join us. The Rangers could bring Darvish back and that could impact Otani but that's up in the air right now. If they don't bring back Darvish I don't think they have a realistic shot.

The Dodgers are basically the Yankees of the NL. They are a well run organization with a lot of young core talent (and deep pockets) that should be able to be sustained for some time. They are a large market team that will guarantee Otani exposure. And, Darvish last pitched for them so there is a possibility that the Dodgers resign Darvish. I think if the Dodgers resign Darvish that they become the immediate favorites to also land Otani. And this is regardless of what little money they have to offer as money (as in the immediate contract money) isn't a big factor for Otani.

The Yankess theoretically could also look to sign Darvish but Tanaka opting in probably kills that possibility (getting under the 197 million threshold appears to be the no.1 most important goal above anything else). They would need to find someone basically willing to take Ellsbury's contract with little cash inclusion (as whatever cash the Yankees send to the other team would count against their own tax hit still). And the only way to do that is to offer up some significant incentives which would mean young players/prospects. Now it's not impossible for the Yankees to sign Darvish while still remaining under 197 million without having to send out a haul of assets to get rid of Ellsbury's contract. They would need to find takers for Gardner and Headley for no salary in return. Probably wouldn't be difficult with Gardner. Headley would be a little tougher and also would require that they be ok with promoting from within to fill the hole at 3rd (they would also not be able to resign Todd Frazier).

Is it worth all the wranglings? Depends. A lot of scouts consider Otani one of the 5 best players in the world. He'd instantly be the no.1 overall prospect in baseball. AND he'd likely be able to contribute right away on both the mound and at the plate. That combo doesn't grow on trees and is basically once in a generation. Say they can clear contracts enough to remain under 197 but also sign Darvish to, say, a $25 million a year contract over 5 years (for arguments sake). Even if they don't feel Darvish or Darvish's elbow blows, it's basically a form of posting $145 million (the $20 million to Nippon outright + the $125 million for Darvish) for Otani's rights. How much did they pay to get Tanaka? $155 million total? Otani is both significantly younger and pretty much universally considered to be much more talented than Tanaka was when the Yankees got him. Also consider that if the Yankees do go the Darvish route to land Otani, it could open up some pretty significant $$$ avenues for a creative organization with respect to Japan and the media/consumership there. The Yankees would basically have the 3 best Japanese players on the planet right now. That could be huge in terms of some broadcast partnership/revenue between NY and Japan.

I mentioned it before, Darvish and Otani are very close and where Darvish goes could greatly impact what Otani does. If I was Cashman I would be following Darvish very closely and be on the phone with his agent. Even with Darvish's WS collapse, even with the high mileage he has on his pitching arm, even with the age, even with the likelihood he'll get a big contract from someone that will force the Yanks to have to match. If the Yankees can sign Darvish I think Otani also will be a Yankee. Tanaka, Darvish, Otani, Severino, Gray (in no particular order)...that would be pretty potent. The fact that the Yankees really have no dire needs for anything may allow them to basically focus all their efforts on Darvish and, as a result, Otani. The Yankees were not a team on Darvish' no trade list so at the very least he would not be against NY.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7472 » by moocow007 » Thu Nov 9, 2017 2:54 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:I’m definitely warming up to Otani. Locking up good young pitching is HUGE in balancing out the salary structure. Certainly better than giving out $100+M for a guy at age 29-30 yrs who develops back pain.

The problem is that in order to lock up Otani the Yankees may need to give out $100+M for an even older guy (Darvish).
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,775

Post#7473 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Nov 9, 2017 2:59 pm

moocow007 wrote:So some things about Otani...

1. His "idol" while growing up in Japan was Yu Darvish (not Tanaka)
2. When he was 18 he thought about coming to the majors straight from HS. The 3 teams that he talked to the most were the Rangers, the Dodgers and the Giants
3. The major league player he most likes to watch (i.e. admires) is Bryce Harper

Him being a fan of Darvish isn't unusual as Darvish, between the exotic/unusual look and the talent, was like a rock star in Japan and a lot of young people in Japan were huge fans. They are close though.

Him talking most to the Rangers, Dodgers and Giants may or may not be an indication about what teams he favors (4 years is a long time ago). It could just be an indication that those teams were early followers of his talent. Darvish was already with the Rangers at that time so the Rangers inclusion could be because Darvish was on the team. The Dodgers and Giants are west coast teams and traditionally among the teams that Asian players are associated with. The Dodgers also have an extremely potent scouting department and they do more than just about any team in baseball in terms of looking for players.

Bryce Harper apparently is his "favorite" major league player. He admires Harper in terms of how he hits, his intensity (love him or hate him, Harper does go about as full tilt and wears his baseball emotions on his sleeve more than just about any player in baseball) as well as how he carries himself with the media circus that usually follows him. So that may help sway him to the Yankees as the Yankees-Harper marriage has been talked about for years and years now and the Yankees appear very much planning to go "all in" on spending big on one of the big guys (Harper is in that group) once they reset their tax.

I would expect the Rangers and Dodgers to probably be the biggest challengers (he's not signing with the Twins who have the 3rd most money, let's just get that out of the way).

The drawback of the Rangers is that they are not a very good team and I'm not sure the foundation they have there nor the front office is something that screams come join us. The Rangers could bring Darvish back and that could impact Otani but that's up in the air right now. If they don't bring back Darvish I don't think they have a realistic shot.

The Dodgers are basically the Yankees of the NL. They are a well run organization with a lot of young core talent (and deep pockets) that should be able to be sustained for some time. They are a large market team that will guarantee Otani exposure. And, Darvish last pitched for them so there is a possibility that the Dodgers resign Darvish. I think if the Dodgers resign Darvish that they become the immediate favorites to also land Otani. And this is regardless of what little money they have to offer as money (as in the immediate contract money) isn't a big factor for Otani.

The Yankess theoretically could also look to sign Darvish but Tanaka opting in probably kills that possibility (getting under the 197 million threshold appears to be the no.1 most important goal above anything else). They would need to find someone basically willing to take Ellsbury's contract with little cash inclusion (as whatever cash the Yankees send to the other team would count against their own tax hit still). And the only way to do that is to offer up some significant incentives which would mean young players/prospects. Now it's not impossible for the Yankees to sign Darvish while still remaining under 197 million without having to send out a haul of assets to get rid of Ellsbury's contract. They would need to find takers for Gardner and Headley for no salary in return. Probably wouldn't be difficult with Gardner. Headley would be a little tougher and also would require that they be ok with promoting from within to fill the hole at 3rd (they would also not be able to resign Todd Frazier).

Is it worth all the wranglings? Depends. A lot of scouts consider Otani one of the 5 best players in the world. He'd instantly be the no.1 overall prospect in baseball. AND he'd likely be able to contribute right away on both the mound and at the plate. That combo doesn't grow on trees and is basically once in a generation. Say they can clear contracts enough to remain under 197 but also sign Darvish to, say, a $25 million a year contract over 5 years (for arguments sake). Even if they don't feel Darvish or Darvish's elbow blows, it's basically a form of posting $145 million (the $20 million to Nippon outright + the $125 million for Darvish) for Otani's rights. How much did they pay to get Tanaka? $155 million total? Otani is both significantly younger and pretty much universally considered to be much more talented than Tanaka was when the Yankees got him. Also consider that if the Yankees do go the Darvish route to land Otani, it could open up some pretty significant $$$ avenues for a creative organization with respect to Japan and the media/consumership there. The Yankees would basically have the 3 best Japanese players on the planet right now. That could be huge in terms of some broadcast partnership/revenue between NY and Japan.

I mentioned it before, Darvish and Otani are very close and where Darvish goes could greatly impact what Otani does. If I was Cashman I would be following Darvish very closely and be on the phone with his agent. Even with Darvish's WS collapse, even with the high mileage he has on his pitching arm, even with the age, even with the likelihood he'll get a big contract from someone that will force the Yanks to have to match. If the Yankees can sign Darvish I think Otani also will be a Yankee. Tanaka, Darvish, Otani, Severino, Gray (in no particular order)...that would be pretty potent. The fact that the Yankees really have no dire needs for anything may allow them to basically focus all their efforts on Darvish and, as a result, Otani. The Yankees were not a team on Darvish' no trade list so at the very least he would not be against NY.

Nice write up.

Here's the post clarification of some of the process which I think adds to yours
http://nypost.com/2017/11/08/mlb-has-tentative-shohei-otani-agreement-with-one-hurdle-left/
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#7474 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Nov 9, 2017 3:04 pm

moocow007 wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:I’m definitely warming up to Otani. Locking up good young pitching is HUGE in balancing out the salary structure. Certainly better than giving out $100+M for a guy at age 29-30 yrs who develops back pain.

The problem is that in order to lock up Otani the Yankees may need to give out $100+M for an even older guy (Darvish).

Dammit. Yeah, I dunno. That is a bit of a dealbreaker.

Would you rather have CC or Darvish?
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,348

Post#7475 » by F N 11 » Thu Nov 9, 2017 3:57 pm

Read on Twitter

At least the yankees twitter is super popular and burns other teams all the time.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7476 » by moocow007 » Thu Nov 9, 2017 4:09 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

Dammit. Yeah, I dunno. That is a bit of a dealbreaker.

Would you rather have CC or Darvish?

I would rather Darvish and Otani over CC by himself I think is the way I'm seeing it. Maybe Otani will still choose NY without Darvish but I don't think he'd choose NY if the Dodgers, for example, resign Darvish. Best case may be for Darvish to sign with the Phillies or some such thing and between the money upfront, the exposure, the youthful talent and winning Cashman is able to convince Otani to come to NY. I still believe if Cashman can also offer up Darvish as a Yankee to Otani that it would make it a lot, lot more likely. He would then have Otani's BFF, the biggest market in the world, tradition, youthful/sustainable talent to grow with him, a top notch organization ready to win now and for the forseeable future AND Bryce Harper in a year...along with the most up front money. That would be basically having a royal flush in your hand. The thing is that Darvish could very well be the ace in the hand.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#7477 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Nov 9, 2017 4:20 pm

Nah f that I don't want Darvish. Otani doesn't like Tanaka or something?
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7478 » by moocow007 » Thu Nov 9, 2017 5:54 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:Nah f that I don't want Darvish. Otani doesn't like Tanaka or something?

He prefers Darvish. Darvish is his bud. If push comes to shove and it takes Darvish, I'd take Darvish.
Boarder Patrol
Head Coach
And1: 3,743

Post#7479 » by Boarder Patrol » Thu Nov 9, 2017 6:09 pm

moocow007 wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:Nah f that I don't want Darvish. Otani doesn't like Tanaka or something?

He prefers Darvish. Darvish is his bud. If push comes to shove and it takes Darvish, I'd take Darvish.

Has he said he needs to play with one of these guys?

If not, I think "connections" like this between players' preferences and where fans expect they'll go are very easy to make, but don't really matter much. Of course you dream of playing alongside your idols growing up, but when you're older and money, organizational fit, future career prospects, etc. come into play, and you have years of professional experience and the luster of being a professional athlete wears off, it starts to matter much less.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7480 » by moocow007 » Thu Nov 9, 2017 6:18 pm

Boarder Patrol wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

Has he said he needs to play with one of these guys?

If not, I think "connections" like this between players' preferences and where fans expect they'll go are very easy to make, but don't really matter much. Of course you dream of playing alongside your idols growing up, but when you're older and money, organizational fit, future career prospects, etc. come into play, and you have years of professional experience and the luster of being a professional athlete wears off, it starts to matter much less.

All I can tell you is that his favorite player growing up was Darvish. He's currently very close to Darvish. And the reason he apparently talked with the Rangers about signing out of HS in Japan was because Darvish was on the team already. It may or may not matter (you'd have to ask him for sure). But I can easily picture a team like the Dodgers who will most definitely be in on Otani being clearly favored if they have Darvish on the team. The Yankees, despite the surprising season and the upside it has, are not the only team in baseball that is set up well. Ergo my comment about "push comes to shove" right? If having Darvish on the team is a deciding factor between say the Dodgers and the Yankees, I would take Darvish on the Yankees to get Otani on the Yankees as well. You get one of the most talented young players on the planet...for super cheap...and under control for a long, long time...and also get still one of the better starters in baseball (Darvish). Sure the contract would not be ideal but I see it as basically splitting Darvish's contract between him and Otani (from the Yankees and tax hit perspective). When you look at it from that perspective, that's pretty good investment (works out to be about 5 years and $60 or so million for each guy).

Return to New York Knicks