Trae Young

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Trae Young 

Post#1 » by No-Man » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:52 am

How good is this kid? he has ridiculous range, fills up the statsheet like I've never seen for a guy with his size since Curry and can really pass
His frame is really slender and at times he is too trigger happy, but damn, gonna break up some records at OU for sure.

He is def more flexible and a better natural athlete than Tyus, who I loved and he gets compared too, he moves a bit like Kyrie out there, the way he changes direction or speeds up when going to the rim, he isnt as explosive as Kyrie, but still.

He is a lesser athlete than Sexton, but man, after him due to that in terms of upside, not sure there is a better PG this year honestly.

Anybody thinks that he can be OAD?
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Re: Trae Young 

Post#2 » by doordoor123 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:41 pm

We’re talking about two different kinds of players with Young and Sexton. Young controls the game and Sexton is more of a scorer. Young has been impressive though. He has like 5 different speeds, showing great ability in the P&R, and dood can shoot from the logo. I keep trying to not sell myself on him (because Sexton is my favorite), but he’s really good. His P&R ability reminds of prime Ty Lawson.

I still need to see him against better competition.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#3 » by No-Man » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:48 pm

doordoor123 wrote:We’re talking about two different kinds of players with Young and Sexton. Young controls the game and Sexton is more of a scorer. Young has been impressive though. He has like 5 different speeds, showing great ability in the P&R, and dood can shoot from the logo. I keep trying to not sell myself on him (because Sexton is my favorite), but he’s really good. His P&R ability reminds of prime Ty Lawson.

Sexton doesn't come close to Young as a scorer, Young has more burst, is miles better with the ball, comparable as a shooter, Sexton might be slightly better as a finisher and that's a maybe.

Honestly, as offensive players, Trae feels hands down superior at almost everything.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by doordoor123 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:11 pm

Fischella wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:We’re talking about two different kinds of players with Young and Sexton. Young controls the game and Sexton is more of a scorer. Young has been impressive though. He has like 5 different speeds, showing great ability in the P&R, and dood can shoot from the logo. I keep trying to not sell myself on him (because Sexton is my favorite), but he’s really good. His P&R ability reminds of prime Ty Lawson.

Sexton doesn't come close to Young as a scorer, Young has more burst, is miles better with the ball, comparable as a shooter, Sexton might be slightly better as a finisher and that's a maybe.

Honestly, as offensive players, Trae feels hands down superior at almost everything.

Lol I agree, but I don’t want to agree. Sexton just makes everything look sexy, even if it isn’t. But I’ve seen Sexton play well against better competition. I haven’t seen Young, who lacks length, play well against better competition.
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#5 » by jonjames » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:47 pm

Is he really 6'2? he looks 6ft..but hes a smooth operator. He can control the game/tempo better than sexton. Outside the key i think hes more reliable of shooter as well. Sexton is a bit wild but more dynamic can create more scoring opportunities for himself than young due to his athleticism and i believe thats the main difference between the two. Young with the same athleticism is better player imo. He will probably need 2 more yrs in college. Ceiling: mike bibby
No-Man
RealGM

Post#6 » by No-Man » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:08 pm

jonjames wrote:Is he really 6'2? he looks 6ft..but hes a smooth operator. He can control the game/tempo better than sexton. Outside the key i think hes more reliable of shooter as well. Sexton is a bit wild but more dynamic can create more scoring opportunities for himself than young due to his athleticism and i believe thats the main difference between the two. Young with the same athleticism is better player imo. He will probably need 2 more yrs in college. Ceiling: mike bibby

Young feels more athletic to me honestly
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by doordoor123 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:15 pm

Fischella wrote:
jonjames wrote:Is he really 6'2? he looks 6ft..but hes a smooth operator. He can control the game/tempo better than sexton. Outside the key i think hes more reliable of shooter as well. Sexton is a bit wild but more dynamic can create more scoring opportunities for himself than young due to his athleticism and i believe thats the main difference between the two. Young with the same athleticism is better player imo. He will probably need 2 more yrs in college. Ceiling: mike bibby

Young feels more athletic to me honestly

Lol disagree 100% there. Maybe he’s quicker and has a better first step, but Sexton has hangtime when he jumps and Sexton moves around the floor extremely well.

But I agree that Sexton’s handle and ability to create space for himself, along with his size and athleticism gives him legitimately more upside. Young might be better right now though. Not to say Young doesn’t have a handle, but Young handles better in small spaces, which makes him really good in the P&R, but escaping defenders one-on-one and shooting like Steph Curry is something I don’t think will be possible for him. He hasn’t shown he can hop to create enough space and he’s not long enough to shoot over guys or avoid getting stuffed.

Sexton is just really savvy too. He can change his handle plan has he goes, which only the best players do. Like he can get in the middle of the lane and change what he wants to do by spinning, posting up, stepping back, etc. He just has such a diverse handle.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,039

Post#8 » by The-Power » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:09 pm

Came here to make a post on him but Fischella is, as always, quick to point it out as well.

I always liked Young for his skill set but I have always been, and continue to be a little, uncertain about what he might be at the NBA level. Thus far, however, he has left me impressed in his first two college games. Looks more explosive towards the basket and better as a floor general than I remembered/expected but this might very well be my memories deceiving me. Loves to push the pace and pull up from deep, as expected, but I didn't expect he would look this comfortable running the team and attacking with this kind of flooring-the-gas-pedal speed.

Currently with 23 Assists and just 5 Turnovers in 52 Minutes total. Most of the question marks, mainly due to his size (e.g. defense, finishing around the rim), still stand but color me impressed thus far with his playmaking and ability to break down defenses with his combination of quickness and handles.

For those who haven't seen him yet, I recommend watching the highlights (which include missed shots and turnovers as well) in the spoiler tags.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#9 » by No-Man » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:24 pm

I think his finishing can be good in time, has the touch and burst, it's just about timing his drives better, adding technique around the rim and getting stronger in the upper body.

He looks like the most dynamic guard in this class by a mile, his handles, body control, wheels, and quicks are special, also his shooting is good but could be miles better if he corrects his release point, putting it a bit higher, his ability to go from his handle to his pull-up is Curry/Dame-esque, I think he looks really special if he can tweak a couple things and continue evolving physically.

So far he is the most interesting PG prospect I've seen, at the very worst he is 6'2 JJ Barea.

If he gets his finishing fixed to a degree and becomes a good shot-maker, he has the tools to be a Kemba Walker-level player.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by doordoor123 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:46 pm

Fischella wrote:I think his finishing can be good in time, has the touch and burst, it's just about timing his drives better, adding technique around the rim and getting stronger in the upper body.

He looks like the most dynamic guard in this class by a mile, his handles, body control, wheels, and quicks are special, also his shooting is good but could be miles better if he corrects his release point, putting it a bit higher, his ability to go from his handle to his pull-up is Curry/Dame-esque, I think he looks really special if he can tweak a couple things and continue evolving physically.

So far he is the most interesting PG prospect I've seen, at the very worst he is 6'2 JJ Barea.

If he gets his finishing fixed to a degree and becomes a good shot-maker, he has the tools to be a Kemba Walker-level player.

I like the Barea comparison and I agree that his finishing could get better. He can get up around the basket. I think as the game slows down for him he will become a better finisher. Again, I need to see him against better talent because he might not be able to do a lot of the stuff he’s doing against a legitimate wing defender or against a legitimate rim protector.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#11 » by Kolkmania » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:27 am

Super intrigued. How is his competitiveness and willingness to defend (deflection, steals, effort)? Shows some mixed body language in those clips. I see some flaws in his games, but those are technical errors that can be corrected.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#12 » by No-Man » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:45 pm

Kolkmania wrote:Super intrigued. How is his competitiveness and willingness to defend (deflection, steals, effort)? Shows some mixed body language in those clips. I see some flaws in his games, but those are technical errors that can be corrected.

Forgot to mention it, he has amazingly quick hands, cat-like, had 2 blocks out of nowhere due to that, obviously his lack of upper body strength and size, roughly 6'2 with a 6'4 wingspan are gonna limit him.

He ain't a pest on-ball or anything, but def has the tools to be at least quick and annoying if he buys in.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#13 » by Ruzious » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:36 pm

Fischella wrote:How good is this kid? he has ridiculous range, fills up the statsheet like I've never seen for a guy with his size since Curry and can really pass
His frame is really slender and at times he is too trigger happy, but damn, gonna break up some records at OU for sure.

He is def more flexible and a better natural athlete than Tyus, who I loved and he gets compared too, he moves a bit like Kyrie out there, the way he changes direction or speeds up when going to the rim, he isnt as explosive as Kyrie, but still.

He is a lesser athlete than Sexton, but man, after him due to that in terms of upside, not sure there is a better PG this year honestly.

I think the Tyus Jones comp works as of now - he even looks like him - but I need to see a lot more of him.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
No-Man
RealGM

Post#14 » by No-Man » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:40 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Fischella wrote:How good is this kid? he has ridiculous range, fills up the statsheet like I've never seen for a guy with his size since Curry and can really pass

I think the Tyus Jones comp works as of now - he even looks like him - but I need to see a lot more of him.

OH he is a much better athlete than Tyus, I love Tyus, Trae isnt as natural as a floor general, he has really good vision, moxie and flare as a passer, but Tyus is steadier, better shooter and like I said lesser as an athlete.

Trae has some moves that I haven't seen in an NCAA guard since Kyrie, and well, Fultz last year.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by doordoor123 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:48 pm

Fischella wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

OH he is a much better athlete than Tyus, I love Tyus, Trae isnt as natural as a floor general, he has really good vision, moxie and flare as a passer, but Tyus is steadier, better shooter and like I said lesser as an athlete.

Trae has some moves that I haven't seen in an NCAA guard since Kyrie, and well, Fultz last year.

Yeah, that comparison makes no sense to me (Tyus). Kyrie and Fultz movement is laughable though. I think his best comparison in terms of how he moves is Ty Lawson, but obviously not as quick.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#16 » by nolang1 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:19 pm

Ruzious wrote:

The Tyus comp works in that they're both point guards who could go one-and-done and find a spot in the league, but as with Tyus, Trae may not be a mid first-round pick
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by doordoor123 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:17 am

nolang1 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

The Tyus comp works in that they're both point guards who could go one-and-done and find a spot in the league, but as with Tyus, Trae may not be a mid first-round pick

Now in the future you know to be more specific because I automatically thought you meant game.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#18 » by GimmeDat » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:25 am

I like the Lawson comparison. Young is much quicker, shiftier and dynamic as a penetrator/scorer/shooter compared to someone like Tyus Jones.

He looks like a bit of a chucker and ball stopper, that's my concern, I'm not sure whether that's the product of his role, this is really the first I've seen of him, but I'm very impressed by his skill-set.
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#19 » by Justwar » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:13 pm

I know in recruiting circles trae apparently was so ball stopping that numerous really good players didn't want to play with him.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#20 » by GimmeDat » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:28 am

Justwar wrote:I know in recruiting circles trae apparently was so ball stopping that numerous really good players didn't want to play with him.

That's a red flag then, for me. He can clearly pass the rock, but he'll need to learn to do so with a lower usage rate. If he can learn to play within the flow of an offense I think he can have NBA starting material, but if he's really that bad that pushes him down big time.

Return to NBA Draft