[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Cousins

Moderator: LyricalRico

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Cousins 

Post#441 » by Ruzious » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:57 pm

He hasn't played real well, but he was good enough to WIN against the Giants in NYG. I think some people forget that every QB makes mistakes - look at Aaron Rogers - and he's a future 1st ballot HOFer. He out-played Eli. Cousins isn't elite, but he's good enough that he might end up leading the NFL in passing yards. Part of that is the circumstances - playing with great receivers and a team that really doesn't have a legit starting NFL running back - but part of that is Kirk is good. He processes things quickly, gets rid of the ball quickly, has a good arm, and can get better if he'd move around more. Last year, he started out shaky and improved dramatically. I think he can do the same this year.

Too bad we won't see a Cousins vs RG3 showdown this weekend. That would've been fun.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,869

Post#442 » by TGW » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:31 pm

Ruzious wrote:He hasn't played real well, but he was good enough to WIN against the Giants in NYG. I think some people forget that every QB makes mistakes - look at Aaron Rogers - and he's a future 1st ballot HOFer. He out-played Eli. Cousins isn't elite, but he's good enough that he might end up leading the NFL in passing yards. Part of that is the circumstances - playing with great receivers and a team that really doesn't have a legit starting NFL running back - but part of that is Kirk is good. He processes things quickly, gets rid of the ball quickly, has a good arm, and can get better if he'd move around more. Last year, he started out shaky and improved dramatically. I think he can do the same this year.

Too bad we won't see a Cousins vs RG3 showdown this weekend. That would've been fun.

He still looked shaky against the Giants. He managed not to throw picks, but yet again, he was missing WIDE OPEN receivers for touchdowns. He also was locking down on one receiver and throwing inaccurate passes. That pass to Reed could have been picked off if it wasn't for Reed's incredible catch.

This effort was worlds better than the previous games, but still not good enough to say that was a good performance.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#443 » by Ruzious » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:01 pm

TGW wrote:
Ruzious wrote:He hasn't played real well, but he was good enough to WIN against the Giants in NYG. I think some people forget that every QB makes mistakes - look at Aaron Rogers - and he's a future 1st ballot HOFer. He out-played Eli. Cousins isn't elite, but he's good enough that he might end up leading the NFL in passing yards. Part of that is the circumstances - playing with great receivers and a team that really doesn't have a legit starting NFL running back - but part of that is Kirk is good. He processes things quickly, gets rid of the ball quickly, has a good arm, and can get better if he'd move around more. Last year, he started out shaky and improved dramatically. I think he can do the same this year.

He still looked shaky against the Giants. He managed not to throw picks, but yet again, he was missing WIDE OPEN receivers for touchdowns. He also was locking down on one receiver and throwing inaccurate passes. That pass to Reed could have been picked off if it wasn't for Reed's incredible catch.

This effort was worlds better than the previous games, but still not good enough to say that was a good performance.

They could have scored 40 points each of the last 2 games if he was on, but remember NYG isn't an easy place to play - the winds there are swirling, so there are going to be passes affected by that. And yes, Reed made a great catch as well as a great run after the catch, but both teams had great one-handed catches. I think Cousins will follow last year's script and continue to improve, but we'll see.

I think one thing GMSM should take some criticism for is not adding a good RB. In preseason, most teams have an extra RB they can afford to let go. He should have been able to get someone. The rookie they finally played basically tackled himself a couple of times. Hopefully just rookie jitters, because they need him to play. Jones just doesn't have RB instincts. I'd think about moving him to WR or TE next year - probably WR because we have enough non-blocking TE's.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,766

Post#444 » by Rafael122 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:48 pm

We're winning in spite of him at this point. That overthrow to Jackson late in the game, that would have been the nail in the coffin. But he overthrew him by almost 5 yards. I think management got criticized a lot for not giving Kirk a long term contract, but again, it seems like Scot knows more than we do. We can't honestly sit here and suggest Kirk deserves a long term deal when most QBs could be just as decent if not better than Cousins.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
TGW
RealGM

Post#445 » by TGW » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:19 pm

Rafael122 wrote:We're winning in spite of him at this point. That overthrow to Jackson late in the game, that would have been the nail in the coffin. But he overthrew him by almost 5 yards. I think management got criticized a lot for not giving Kirk a long term contract, but again, it seems like Scot knows more than we do. We can't honestly sit here and suggest Kirk deserves a long term deal when most QBs could be just as decent if not better than Cousins.

I can't say most would be better than him, but I can say pretty definitively that there are 10-12 better qbs than him for sure. He falls in that 13-17 range, which makes him good enough to win in the regular season with, but not good enough to win a playoff game. Too many pick sixes and poor throws to be ranked higher.

The guy simply can't help but throw a deflating pick that swings the entire momentum of the game. Sometimes you get lucky and overcome it, but in the playoffs those plays usually decide the game.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
FreeBalling
Starter
And1: 218

Post#446 » by FreeBalling » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:44 pm

It’s funny reading how the RG3 lovers are so wrong about Cousins. Dan created a situation in DC where Cousins will most likely be gone next year because of the cost to retain his services. Out the door goes the best QB in 20+ years. What’s plan B?

QB is the hardest position to fill. Cousins broke Schroeder single season passing record from 1986. Just think about all the QB’s and then you have Cousins. What’s another 20 years. :crazy:
FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten
RIP Master Sergent Holt :usa:

The ultimate sacrifice http://taskforceomegainc.org/H061.html
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#447 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:51 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Kirk. Not Demarcus, Gotcha! :)

Image Image

Kirk Cousins reminds me of Drew Brees. He looks fiery and serious and sincere. Boogie Gousins has swag. I've always liked his style, even when he loses it. I thought he would be okay and I'm glad to see him having a good NBA career. Nice tie. But about KIRK Cousins ...

Donovan McNabb might be on to something in his views about Shanahan.

Why draft Kirk Cousins unless you want to breed instability and create a QB controversy if RGIII stumbles? I think it would have been best to get a veteran backup and not have two rookies in camp.

--Both QBs need a lot of snaps and Cameron is in a losing scenario where his success will only come at the great failure of Griffin.

Wall doesn't get to play with DaMarcus Cousins but Griffin comes to town with Kirk Cousins, an-Elway type guy IMO, in training camp against him. :(

Am I being an alarmist? Am I not too subtly insinuating racial innuendo, and unfairly so on Shanahan? He's been said to always be looking for the next Elway. He has had problems with McNabb and Haynesworth, but he put his reputation on Grossman and Beck.

Is it just me or was drafting Kirk Cousins a bad sign?

Said that in 2012
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#448 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:53 pm

Wizardspride wrote:CCJ, I love you man but sometimes I think you just look for things to worry about.

This is a non-issue.

Kirk Cousins is no threat to RG3. At his absolute best he'll be a serviceable starter in this league. Maybe....

Shanny drafted him because the Skins' philosophy is BPA and he was apparently the best remaining on thier board.

Shanny's own words on the subject.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828b5a10/article/kirk-cousins-redskins-backup-of-the-future?module=HP11_headline_stack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Redskins coach Mike Shanahan explained to The Associated Press: "Any time you get a quarterback like Robert in the second pick of a draft, he's your franchise quarterback. He's going to be your quarterback for the next decade. (Kirk) knows he's going to be a backup, but there (are) injuries. I thought it was a steal for us."

I do look for things to worry about.

Also, every now and then I'm able to see things from a long ways out.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#449 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:54 pm

TGW wrote:
Wizards2Lottery wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I read this comparison somewhere else but it is Heath Schuler vs Gus Frerotte all over again.

Are you high?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:D

No, I'm just right again, TGW. Both guys named Cousins are going be max contract players, five to eight years later.
Bye bye Beal.
TGW
RealGM

Post#450 » by TGW » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:13 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
TGW wrote:
Wizards2Lottery wrote:
Are you high?

No, I'm just right again, TGW. Both guys named Cousins are going be max contract players, five to eight years later.

it's great that they're getting paid so highly, with zero playoff wins between the both of them.
RealGM

Post#451 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:32 am

TGW wrote:
TGW wrote:

it's great that they're getting paid so highly, with zero playoff wins between the both of them.

If they were bums like you said there would be no market for either player. Now, they're considered ELITE.

No playoffs or not. I'm not even saying they're elite, either. Just that both of them have had long term success.

Demarcus is on a HOF trajectory. So is Kirk if he starts another 3-5 years.
Bye bye Beal.
TGW
RealGM

Post#452 » by TGW » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:01 pm

TGW wrote:

If they were bums like you said there would be no market for either player. Now, they're considered ELITE.

No playoffs or not. I'm not even saying they're elite, either. Just that both of them have had long term success.

Demarcus is on a HOF trajectory. So is Kirk if he starts another 3-5 years.

Whatever you're smoking...just put it down. :lol:
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 106

Post#453 » by W. Unseld » Fri Dec 1, 2017 7:41 pm

Since 2015 Cousins has ranked as the 4th best QB in the league. At this point he's played well across 3 systems (2 and a half--Shanny, Sean McVay and Gruden--Gruden and McVay run the same system but are completely different playcallers).

With that said, it's probably a pointless debate b/c I think he walks and Skins get nothing for him. Rumor was McLuvvin wanted to sign him longterm 3 years ago which would've been a huge savings.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#454 » by LyricalRico » Tue Dec 5, 2017 5:28 pm

W. Unseld wrote:Since 2015 Cousins has ranked as the 4th best QB in the league. At this point he's played well across 3 systems (2 and a half--Shanny, Sean McVay and Gruden--Gruden and McVay run the same system but are completely different playcallers).

With that said, it's probably a pointless debate b/c I think he walks and Skins get nothing for him. Rumor was McLuvvin wanted to sign him longterm 3 years ago which would've been a huge savings.

I actually wouldn't rule out Danny/Bruce franchising Cousins again in a misguided effort to save face by not losing him for nothing. But assuming that doesn't happen, I fully expect Kirk to leave for a team that's closer to winning. Whenever the subject comes up on Mr. Tony's podcast, David Aldridge keeps bringing up Pittsburgh in the event that Big Ben retires. That could be very interesting.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,760

Post#455 » by CobraCommander » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:57 am

LyricalRico wrote:
W. Unseld wrote:Since 2015 Cousins has ranked as the 4th best QB in the league. At this point he's played well across 3 systems (2 and a half--Shanny, Sean McVay and Gruden--Gruden and McVay run the same system but are completely different playcallers).

I actually wouldn't rule out Danny/Bruce franchising Cousins again in a misguided effort to save face by not losing him for nothing. But assuming that doesn't happen, I fully expect Kirk to leave for a team that's closer to winning. Whenever the subject comes up on Mr. Tony's podcast, David Aldridge keeps bringing up Pittsburgh in the event that Big Ben retires. That could be very interesting.

The Steelers line allows a lot of hits on Ben...I thought Kirk should go to Denver if he leaves.

I dont know how the redskins can actually pay him less than the franchise tag next year...because Kirk would be a fool to take anything less than the franchise tag IF the skins dont offer a lot more than that in a multi year deal. If you Kirk at this point you happy to keep sigining franchise tags...
RealGM

Post#456 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jan 3, 2018 11:59 pm

I'm 90% sure this is the end of the Kirk Cousins Redskins era.

I'm optimistic that a sign and trade of sorts will be worked out.
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#457 » by Ruzious » Mon Jan 8, 2018 4:26 pm

So who's the Skins QB in 2018 if Cousins leaves? I'd be inclined to look at Teddy Bridgewater. I don't expect he'll be quite as good as Cousins - but pretty close - at maybe one third the annual price.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#458 » by LyricalRico » Mon Jan 8, 2018 7:07 pm

Ruzious wrote:So who's the Skins QB in 2018 if Cousins leaves? I'd be inclined to look at Teddy Bridgewater. I don't expect he'll be quite as good as Cousins - but pretty close - at maybe one third the annual price.

Hadn't considered him, and it will actually be very interesting to see what the Vikings to at QB. Even if they keep Keenum or Bradford, neither is a longterm solution IMO. But keeping one of them plus Bridgewater would make for a drawn out QB controversy, which they may not want. I'd definitely sign him, though.
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Cousins 

Post#459 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Jan 8, 2018 7:24 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
Ruzious wrote:So who's the Skins QB in 2018 if Cousins leaves? I'd be inclined to look at Teddy Bridgewater. I don't expect he'll be quite as good as Cousins - but pretty close - at maybe one third the annual price.

Hadn't considered him, and it will actually be very interesting to see what the Vikings to at QB. Even if they keep Keenum or Bradford, neither is a longterm solution IMO. But keeping one of them plus Bridgewater would make for a drawn out QB controversy, which they may not want. I'd definitely sign him, though.

Yes I had considered him and I think he's an excellent choice.

Bridgewater and then draft this kid Lamar Jackson out of Louisville. Just that simple.

But most of the fans and the fan base (dare I say Caucasians) want Cousins. Kirk provides leadership and experience. He says he wants to be in Washington. He is a really good person and a good quarterback. My remark about Caucasian meant that it just depends on who you ask about retaining him... Some think no price is too high.

I think save the money sign Teddy Bridgewater and draft Lamar Jackson.

Apologies for the typos I'm in a real hurry

Sent from my Moto G (4) using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Re: RE: Re: Cousins 

Post#460 » by LyricalRico » Mon Jan 8, 2018 7:57 pm

LyricalRico wrote:

Yes I had considered him and I think he's an excellent choice.

Bridgewater and then draft this kid Lamar Jackson out of Louisville. Just that simple.

But most of the fans and the fan base (dare I say Caucasians) want Cousins. Kirk provides leadership and experience. He says he wants to be in Washington. He is a really good person and a good quarterback. My remark about Caucasian meant that it just depends on who you ask about retaining him... Some think no price is too high.

I think save the money sign Teddy Bridgewater and draft Lamar Jackson.

Apologies for the typos I'm in a real hurry

Sent from my Moto G (4) using RealGM mobile app

It's funny CCJ, as I was reading your post I said to myself "An all black QB position? In DC?" :D Actually, I guess it's not funny but unfortunately we get used to thinking that way. Obviously those who would disagree with that plan wouldn't admit it, but race would probably be part of the motivation for some (even at an unconscious level). I don't think it would be "most of the fans and the fan base", though, but there's always a few.

Based on salary and ability (the only two things that SHOULD matter), it's an intriguing alternative. Bridewater is young enough to make a full recovery and still get better, and Jackson would be an insurance policy in case Bridewater doesn't work longterm. My biggest concern would be the worst-case scenario: Bridgewater just isn't the same AND Jackson isn't close to being ready. Then we're completely hosed, and would be looking at a full reboot while waiting/hoping for Jackson to develop (potentially under a new coach that may not even want him).

In other words, it's a plan - but I'd consider it no higher than Plan B.

Return to Washington Football Team