Anfernee Simons

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Anfernee Simons 

Post#1 » by stitches » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:51 am

As a Jazz fan who is looking more towards the draft than the playoffs this year, I've been researching some prospect and this week came upon a name noone is talking about. Anfernee Simons is a 6'4" combo guard who has drawn some Markelle Fultz comparisons. He's very young and he was supposed to go to Louisville but the things about the FBI investigation seem to have blown that plan apart. Right now it seems like he will take a post-grad year in IMG academy and he will be very likely eligible to be drafted in the 2018 draft. He looks like a 12 year old on the highlights I've seen and he will probably be somewhat of a developmental prospect, but I can see where the Fultz comparisons are coming from - he has a smooth deliberate game, his handle is good and he creates space and shoots off-the-dribble seamlessly.

Unfortunately, I cannot find full game footage so I can't get better feel for his game(please if somebody does have more expansive video of him, post it here). He is no. 8 on ESPN's top 100 prospects list.

Jonathan Givony wrote a story about him this week and about his decision on whether to enter the draft this year, or not. Here's the link :
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21459634/anfernee-simons-top-10-prospect-2018-high-school-class-considering-nba-draft

Here are some videos of him playing in high school:

Knowing the Jazz are likely to miss on the very top of the draft, if he indeed enters the draft he might be a legit target for us to consider. I love the little I've seen so far of him, he indeed reminds me of a less refined Fultz in those highlights...

Anyways... here's a thread for him. I'd love to hear from people who have actually watched him play full games and can share more comprehensive opinion on his game and even more specifically on his D, passing, feel for the game, etc.
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Re: Anfernee Simons 

Post#2 » by jonjames » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:30 pm

First time watching him but i like what i see. His gamme is super smooth. He also has uncanny resemblance to branfon ingram in the face. One to look out for.
J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Post#3 » by J_T » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:31 pm

stitches wrote: He looks like a 12 year old on the highlights

Wait, wait... How old is he in that first video? He is not 18 is he? Can't be.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#4 » by reanimator » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:32 pm

Watched 3 games live.

- Picture perfect form, off the dribble or catch, and is an elite shooter
- Creative handle that lets him get to his pull up
- Good athlete in space
- 6'3 or so with a solid build and long arms

- Didn't flash any vision in the half court and looked exclusively to score
- Turned it over quite a bit in traffic and tight spaces
- Wasn't a willing penetrator and hunted pull ups around the perimeter

Right now I'm seeing a Lou Will, Eric Gordon, etc type of player than a dynamic PnR guard who has the feel and footwork of a Fultz.
stitches
RealGM

Post#5 » by stitches » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:58 pm

J_T wrote:
stitches wrote: He looks like a 12 year old on the highlights

Wait, wait... How old is he in that first video? He is not 18 is he? Can't be.

Seems like it's from this summer, which means he was 17 going on 18...
stitches
RealGM

Post#6 » by stitches » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:00 pm

reanimator wrote:Watched 3 games live.

- Picture perfect form, off the dribble or catch, and is an elite shooter
- Creative handle that lets him get to his pull up
- Good athlete in space
- 6'3 or so with a solid build and long arms

- Didn't flash any vision in the half court and looked exclusively to score
- Turned it over quite a bit in traffic and tight spaces
- Wasn't a willing penetrator and hunted pull ups around the perimeter

Right now I'm seeing a Lou Will, Eric Gordon, etc type of player than a dynamic PnR guard who has the feel and footwork of a Fultz.

Thanks for the post reanimator. Hopefully he develops his feel because the strong sides are really strong from what I'm seeing and they are the exact type of strengths that are in fashion nowadays in the league - shooting and offense creation off the dribble.
J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Post#7 » by J_T » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:10 pm

I had to check what Iverson was at that age and he was actually two pounds heavier at 6 feet. He also looked stronger and more mature.

Fultz was drafted as 185, right? That's a lot of extra weight there and he is 195 now. I think that he is at serious disadvantage and his body is a concern for me. Usually American prospects don't disregard the gym at this age which makes me think that he is having problems putting on weight. I wonder what people think his floor and ceiling are?
stitches
RealGM

Post#8 » by stitches » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:17 pm

J_T wrote:I had to check what Iverson was at that age and he was actually two pounds heavier at 6 feet. He also looked stronger and more mature.

Fultz was drafted as 185, right? That's a lot of extra weight there and he is 195 now. I think that he is at serious disadvantage and his body is a concern for me. Usually American prospects don't disregard the gym at this age which makes me think that he is having problems putting on weight. I wonder what people think his floor and ceiling are?

I wouldn't be too worried about his weight. His frame looks good. He will gain weight as he matures and as he enters an NBA strength and conditioning program.

Hard for me to give ceiling and floor before I've watched even a single game of him.
stitches
RealGM

Post#9 » by stitches » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:03 pm

Here's one more impressive highlight video of Anfernee:
Read on Twitter
stitches
RealGM

Post#10 » by stitches » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:03 pm

Here's one more impressive highlight video of Anfernee:
Read on Twitter
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,762

Post#11 » by Upperclass » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:52 am

Sheesh.. kid looks like a young Westbrook
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,191

Post#12 » by Catchall » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:16 am

He's a good and very fluid athlete, but he doesn't seem all that explosive. How would people compare his athleticism to D'Angelo Russell at a similar age?
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Ca
Pro Prospect
And1: 169

Post#13 » by Ca » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:10 pm

All I see are pull up jumpers. What is different from him and Malik Monk?
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#14 » by GimmeDat » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:29 pm

He looks like a really intriguing young player but it hurts my heart to see undersized scoring 2's, especially when they have handle, length, etc., because I want to turn them all in to PG's. This kid seems too scoring orientated to be a PG, unfortunately.
jonjames
Veteran

Post#15 » by jonjames » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:07 am

Catchall wrote:He's a good and very fluid athlete, but he doesn't seem all that explosive. How would people compare his athleticism to D'Angelo Russell at a similar age?

Not comparable athletically. Although playstyle is similar to fultz and russell.. Simons is a much more explosive leaper than both of them.
jonjames
Veteran

Post#16 » by jonjames » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:09 am

GimmeDat wrote:He looks like a really intriguing young player but it hurts my heart to see undersized scoring 2's, especially when they have handle, length, etc., because I want to turn them all in to PG's. This kid seems too scoring orientated to be a PG, unfortunately.

Whats undersized for 2 guard? Simons is 6'4.5 in shoes and probably still growing.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#17 » by GimmeDat » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:10 am

jonjames wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:He looks like a really intriguing young player but it hurts my heart to see undersized scoring 2's, especially when they have handle, length, etc., because I want to turn them all in to PG's. This kid seems too scoring orientated to be a PG, unfortunately.

Whats undersized for 2 guard? Simons is 6'4.5 in shoes and probably still growing.

I'd seen 6'4, which I think is a bit undersized for a 2 guard. If he ends up 6'5+ he'll be fine at SG.
bulliedog8
Head Coach
And1: 4,482

Post#18 » by bulliedog8 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:46 pm

GimmeDat wrote:
jonjames wrote:

I'd seen 6'4, which I think is a bit undersized for a 2 guard. If he ends up 6'5+ he'll be fine at SG.

There have been a few really good 6-4 sgs though. Wade of course, and then you have Beal McCollum and Gordon for the rockets, who are nice.
jonjames
Veteran

Post#19 » by jonjames » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:58 pm

Ca wrote:All I see are pull up jumpers. What is different from him and Malik Monk?

Little taller and much better handles. His closer to russell and futlz styliscally and physical profile.
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#20 » by Justwar » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:21 pm

Monk's slowly transitioning who can play a little pg, he played it in hs exclusively. But athletically he blows Simon's out of the water. He's a lou Williams whichu isn't bad, but he could really bust though

Sent from my SM-G900V using RealGM mobile app

Return to NBA Draft