Potential Coaching Options Moving Forward

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Potential Coaching Options Moving Forward 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:37 pm

A blurb from earlier in the Fall leads us to ponder a future without CMB on the sidelines in Atlanta. I haven't heard any rumors of extension talks.

Kyler: Could Mike Budenholzer Land On Hot Seat?

Let's start by pointing out the obvious—Mike Budenholzer is a heck of a basketball coach. However, with the Hawks moving in a very different direction, it’s hard to imagine that Budenholzer is going to be the guy to skipper the rebuilding of the team.

Coaching sources said Budenholzer was entering the dreaded lame duck time in a coaches’ contract, making him more likely to be replaced than retained. This is more likely to be true if the Hawks are headed in a new direction.

For the Hawks, rebuilding around a great coach like Budenholzer wouldn’t be a bad decision, the problem for the Hawks is it seems they want to go in a new direction, which is hard to do with the same guy that set the last direction.
Basketball Insiders

kg01 wrote: I'm cool with you being anti-Budz but only if you can present a better alternative.

Fair point. So what young coaching replacements might be in line to replace Budenholzer?
Here are a couple of replacement options:

Chris Finch, New Orleans assistant coach

Finch has an edge, both to his personality and his conviction that an offensive basketball team needs to be constantly pressuring the defense. There's some Mike D'Antoni in him, an undying belief that conventional wisdom should be challenged and new ideas pursued at all costs.

Asked for features they look for in candidates, NBA executives name diversity of experience more frequently with each passing year. Finch coached for a decade in Europe, where the Rockets found him while scanning the globe for undervalued sideline talent. In 2009, they installed him in Rio Grande Valley of the D-League, where he led the Vipers to the title his first season and another finals appearance in his second. He then joined the staff in Houston, where he [was] a primary architect of the speedy, bombs-or-bunnies offense.

Link to Travis: He currently is an assistant under Former GSW assistant coach Alvin Gentry.

Jarron Collins, Golden State Warriors assistant coach

Collins would give a team all the attributes of a grinder, but with 10 years of playing experience as a consummate locker room guy who has demonstrated as an assistant coach an aptitude for connecting with players.

Those in the know say that Collins' was one of the big brains behind the Warriors' early-season run during Steve Kerr's absence.

Some of those who have worked with Collins regard him as one of the quickest studies they've seen come through the league in recent years. They describe a young coach with a knack for schemes and coverages, but who has a quiet intensity beneath his steady demeanor. He might not outwardly convey competitiveness, but a loss to a fellow member of the coaching staff in a game of one-on-one will leave him stewing for hours.

Link to Travis: Assistant in GS during the same period.

Nate Tibbetts, Portland Trail Blazers assistant coach

Tibbetts is an understated but vital presence in Portland. The Blazers' young backcourt praises him for his ability to communicate and provide players with cheat codes -- nuanced observations such as opposing players' tendencies or a play call from the other bench. They also appreciate that he'll gladly hop in a taxi with them at 3:30 p.m. if they want to get in an early pregame workout at the arena. Tibbetts simply loves games, loves the preparation that goes into them and loves being in the gym with players.

Organizations increasingly value head coaching experience at the D-League level, and Tibbets cut his teeth for four seasons at the helm of Sioux Falls in his native South Dakota, then Tulsa for the Thunder organization, which courted him this past offseason to join Billy Donovan's staff. Tibbetts, 38, received an interview in Charlotte for the vacancy that ultimately went to Steve Clifford.

Though he's not a big personality, per se, Tibbetts' combo of player development chops, time as a head coach, positive energy and communications skills is starting to reach front offices around the league. With a slew of openings this spring and summer, Tibbets is likely to visit some executive suites after the Blazers' season ends.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Re: Potential Coaching Options Moving Forward 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:42 pm

Other viable options:

Code: Select all

San Antonio assistant Ettore Messina
Miami assistant Dave Fizdale
Utah assistant Alex Jensen

I really like Ettore Messina as an option.

Spoiler:
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#3 » by kg01 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:07 pm

I do no support this thread or any of the names you put in it. :-x
king01 :king:
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,934

Post#4 » by jayu70 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:32 pm

kg01 wrote:I do no support this thread or any of the names you put in it. :-x

I concur
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#5 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:03 pm

:lol: :lol:

You asked for it!!

kg01 wrote:I'm cool with you being anti-Budz but only if you can present a better alternative.

kg01 wrote:...I have a great appreciation for Budz while admitting he has flaws. So unless you can come up with better...

kg01 wrote:...it's completely fair to ask for your picks if you're looking to get rid of Budz.

Messina seems like a great option. But, he'll be 59 next season. Would he be willing to accept a rebuild situation?
Spoiler:
He has won four EuroLeague championships as a head coach. Messina is regarded as one of the best European basketball coaches of all time,

He was named the Italian League's Best Coach three times, in the years 1998, 2001, and 2005. Furthermore, he has been named EuroLeague Coach of the Year twice, in 2006 and 2008. He was inducted into the Italian Basketball Hall of Fame in 2008. In 17 seasons, his career head coaching record in the EuroLeague is 279–98 (.740).
Here

Finch in NO seems like areally good fit if we draft Doncic. The Euro ties, the G League success, the offensive aggressiveness/diversity. Perfect coach to help develop Luka (and Dennis?).

Tibbetts' player development background makes him a front runner in my book.
kg01
General Manager

Post#6 » by kg01 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:05 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

:lol: :lol:

You asked for it!!

kg01 wrote:I'm cool with you being anti-Budz but only if you can present a better alternative.

kg01 wrote:...I have a great appreciation for Budz while admitting he has flaws. So unless you can come up with better...

kg01 wrote:...it's completely fair to ask for your picks if you're looking to get rid of Budz.

Messina seems like a great option. But, he'll be 59 next season. Would he be willing to accept a rebuild situation?

Finch in NO seems like areally good fit if we draft Doncic. The Euro ties, the G League success, the offensive aggressiveness/diversity. Perfect coach to help develop Luka (and Dennis?).

Tibbetts' player development background makes him a front runner in my book.

Oh, I give you credit for putting it together. I just reject the whole concept.

In all your descriptions of what you want, you're basically describing something Budz already brings to the table soooooo ... what're we doing with this conversation?
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,934

Post#7 » by jayu70 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:10 pm

I would like to see Bud get a chance to coach/develop a concensus top 10 player - He's never had that opportunity.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#8 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:12 pm

kg01 wrote:In all your descriptions of what you want, you're basically describing something Budz already brings to the table soooooo ... what're we doing with this conversation?

I'm acknowledging that Bud's contract is approaching it's end in 6-18 months.

He may choose to go elsewhere. (A legit possibility.)

Travis may choose to bring in his own guy. (A legit possibility.)
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All of the people responsible for hiring Budenholzer are gone (or removed from power).

The new owners have revamped the front office. (New GM, Asst GM & Head of BBall Ops).

The new owners and head of bball ops have overhauled the roster.

The coaching staff is likely next. Is possibly next. Is maybe next?

I don't know. But it's worth considering.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#9 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:02 pm

I FOUND A LINK BEWTEEN TRAVIS and Nate Tibbetts:

Portland Trail Blazers assistant Nate Tibbetts has emerged as a candidate for the Golden State Warriors’ top assistant-coaching job and will meet with Steve Kerr on Monday in Oklahoma City, league sources told The Vertical.

Tibbetts has been an assistant with the Blazers since 2013 under coach Terry Stotts. Before a two-year stop with the Cleveland Cavaliers, Tibbetts was head coach of the NBA Development League’s Tulsa 66ers for two seasons, posting a 64-41 record with two playoff berths.
Yahoo Sports
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#10 » by ATL Boy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:32 pm

Keep Bud forever
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Post#11 » by tbhawksfan1 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:18 pm

What's the point of this? Do you want change just for change? Bud is holding a sinking ship together while it repairs and is doing a damn good job of it. This after taking a good , but very far from great Hawks team to 60 and ECF. TS would be stupid to let a very good coach go, especially for no valid reason. Unless Bud gets a better offer, he has his place. Bud looks totally capable of applying his magic developmental touch to the young, rebuilt Hawks.

What is your point? Bud's a very good Hawks coach and lucky to have him. Maybe, instead of proposing replacements, you might want to validate your theory that the Hawks will be needing a new coach in the forseeable future. Presently, you're throwing shade on one of the few positives and theorising on your ... theory to the obvious dismay of your audience.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#12 » by tbhawksfan1 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:23 pm

Fire GM Bud: Done
Keep coach Bud: Done
Next Hawks coach: topic for another time
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#13 » by Spud2nique » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:24 pm

I wouldn't let go of Bud. I can't go back to the Kruger/Weiss type of days...no please no.
simon24
Rookie
And1: 199

Post#14 » by simon24 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:14 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:In all your descriptions of what you want, you're basically describing something Budz already brings to the table soooooo ... what're we doing with this conversation?

I'm acknowledging that Bud's contract is approaching it's end in 6-18 months.

He may choose to go elsewhere. (A legit possibility.)

Travis may choose to bring in his own guy. (A legit possibility.)
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All of the people responsible for hiring Budenholzer are gone (or removed from power).

The new owners have revamped the front office. (New GM, Asst GM & Head of BBall Ops).

The new owners and head of bball ops have overhauled the roster.

The coaching staff is likely next. Is possibly next. Is maybe next?

I don't know. But it's worth considering.

Only way I can see him is leaving is for the Spurs job. If what CP3 said about Pop about him only having a few years left, Bud going back probably makes the most sense. Messina could be another David Blatt.

I don't think Travis has his own guy that is better than Bud. Bud > Mike Brown. Luke staying in LA and I think Gentry will last in NO. I could see Schlenk force Bud to fire some assistants, it's ridiculous SGs, now SFs (Wes Johnson) going off on the Hawks now. I don't get why Bud emphasize on the paint on defense when it's clearly a shooting league now.
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#15 » by macd-gm » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:41 pm

I do not support a coaching change at all but i do see teams making offers to pull Bud away. And if we don't get him extended or he doesn't like working with Travis we could have a problem. Hopefully not. Bud has a big organization running here already. I"m hoping he wants to see it through.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#16 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:45 pm

macd-gm wrote:I do not support a coaching change at all but i do see teams making offers to pull Bud away.

:nod: :nod:

I expect NYK and LAC to make a serious run at Budenholzer. Offering tons of money, input on personnel and a superstar at the PF position to build around.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#17 » by tbhawksfan1 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:20 pm

Always a possibility. Good coach / GM / owner group is very important for sustained success
kg01
General Manager

Post#18 » by kg01 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
macd-gm wrote:I do not support a coaching change at all but i do see teams making offers to pull Bud away.

:nod: :nod:

I expect NYK and LAC to make a serious run at Budenholzer. Offering tons of money, input on personnel and a superstar at the PF position to build around.

Oy, why are we talking about this?

Budz said before that a stable, favorable ownership/management situation was important. No way he goes to LAC or NYK. Things exist that are more important than money. Roster makeup doesn't matter for teams run by dodo birds. And, yes, LAC is run by a dodo.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#19 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:27 pm

^Jerry West is a dodo?
kg01
General Manager