ImageImageImageImageImage

New offensive strategy

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

bdhdhjytryu
Sophomore
And1: 4

New offensive strategy 

Post#1 » by bdhdhjytryu » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:41 am

Thinking about the drastic change in style of play our team has undergone this season and I remembered posting this at the beginning of the season. Any idea who is behind this?
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Re: Is Eric Khoury the man behind the offense? 

Post#2 » by RaptorsNorth » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:45 am

Or maybe getting totally embarrassed by the cavs and losing almost all our playoff games by 20 had something to do with it. Honestly I think casey and the coaching staff know this is their last roll of the dice and that has a lot to do with the change.
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
bdhdhjytryu
Sophomore

Post#3 » by bdhdhjytryu » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:50 am

RaptorsNorth wrote:Or maybe getting totally embarrassed by the cavs and losing almost all out playoff games by 20 had something to do with it. Honestly I think casey and the coaching staff know this is their last roll of the dice.

Its one thing to recognize that things have to change. Its much harder to determine what the change will look like. Obviously we wanted to pick up our pace and increase our attempts from 3. The way they have been able to adjust so quickly is amazing, as is the way the coaching staff has been able to play 12 guys night in and night out. Our depth is being leaned on, and its working.
Clementine64
Starter
And1: 2,523

Post#4 » by Clementine64 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:53 am

I don't see this new offense as anything revolutionary. We're jacking up a boat load of 3's and swinging the ball around more with less isos for the first 3 quarters.
bdhdhjytryu
Sophomore

Post#5 » by bdhdhjytryu » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:02 am

Clementine64 wrote:I don't see this new offense as anything revolutionary. We're jacking up a boat load of 3's and swinging the ball around more with less isos for the first 3 quarters.

We have jumped to 5th in the league in scoring and 9th in assists. We are a top 5 team in terms of corner 3's, widely thought of as the best shot on the court. I'm not saying its revolutionary, but its far more intricate than simply jacking 3's.
artsncrafts
RealGM
And1: 25,039

Post#6 » by artsncrafts » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:04 am

Clementine64 wrote:I don't see this new offense as anything revolutionary. We're jacking up a boat load of 3's and swinging the ball around more with less isos for the first 3 quarters.

Still goes iso in the 4th though :( Old habits die hard.
Harold_and_Kumar wrote:What if the 10 incher was overrated and the 4 incher was too small for any playing time, but the 7 incher was a perfect fit for our roster and the 5 incher was good for specific situations, like backdoor cuts?
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Post#7 » by Double Helix » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:08 am

This was how Nurse’s teams functioned before.

Read this old thread from even before the first Nurse press conference. This is before the Warriors hiring Kerr and before the Rockets really perfected this beyond the D-league. Masai had the vision and brought in the right guybut because even modest improvements to the offence folllowing the Gay trade lead to such a dramatic improvement the team sort of took on an “if it’s working don’t fix it” mindset and it lead us to playoff wins and regular season records but Masai wanted to go bolder and back to what intrigued him about Nurse in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
MVP-
Starter
And1: 2,394

Post#8 » by MVP- » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:10 am

It's not a complete rework, that's pretty obvious. We're setting ourselves up for other players to be able to step up when they gameplan to stop DeMar and Kyle when it matters. Say all you want but if DeMar or Kyle go 1v1 on any given possession with little to no help defense, that's most likely a basket scored, at the rim which is a high percentage shot.
And1Skip
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,746

Post#9 » by And1Skip » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:19 am

Double Helix wrote:This was how Nurse’s teams functioned before.

Read this old thread from even before the first Nurse press conference. This is before the Warriors hiring Kerr and before the Rockets really perfected this beyond the D-league. Masai had the vision and brought in the right guybut because even modest improvements to the offence folllowing the Gay trade lead to such a dramatic improvement the team sort of took on an “if it’s working don’t fix it” mindset and it lead us to playoff wins and regular season records but Masai wanted to go bolder and back to what intrigued him about Nurse in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

I can't believe it has taken this long (Nurse's 5th season with the Raptors!) for him to implement his offence fully. Maybe because back then it was really only Phoenix (when they had Nash) and Houston (where Nurse won the D-league championship) that played like that. Now all the good teams do it.
Rookie
And1: 1,023

Post#10 » by 416 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:21 am

haha omfg, now I feel old. I hung out with this dude in high school a lot. He went to a different high school called Crescent. I used to party with Khoury all the time. He was a really nice and legit dude. The rest of us were just dumb kids tbh.

I'm hoping its all Khoury, hopefully I run into him one day and tell him he's realgm famous lol
thanks sh00n
Clementine64
Starter

Post#11 » by Clementine64 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:38 am

cb4tj11ab7 wrote:

We have jumped to 5th in the league in scoring and 9th in assists. We are a top 5 team in terms of corner 3's, widely thought of as the best shot on the court. I'm not saying its revolutionary, but its far more intricate than simply jacking 3's.

Please explain the offense in detail. I know we're taking more corner 3's and Wat more 3's in general. Tell me something I don't know.
Clementine64
Starter

Post#12 » by Clementine64 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:42 am

artsncrafts wrote:

Still goes iso in the 4th though :( Old habits die hard.

Yeah it's still the go to unfortunately. The funniest part is that the bench unit plays the new offense and the starters don't for the most part. It's like watching two different teams play. It's pretty obvious which group has been well coached.

MVP- wrote:

It's not a complete rework, that's pretty obvious. We're setting ourselves up for other players to be able to step up when they gameplan to stop DeMar and Kyle when it matters. Say all you want but if DeMar or Kyle go 1v1 on any given possession with little to no help defense, that's most likely a basket scored, at the rim which is a high percentage shot.

The problem with that is they pretty well always draw multiple defenders making it a very low percentage shot when they go hero mode.
Childs
RealGM
And1: 26,228

Post#13 » by Childs » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:04 am

WTF. I knew this guy at Crescent School when I was there from grade 3-8 until I went to Upper Canada College. He had a high pitch feminine scream. Small world.
LiSTWithLani
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,151

Post#14 » by LiSTWithLani » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:42 pm

416 wrote:haha omfg, now I feel old. I hung out with this dude in high school a lot. He went to a different high school called Crescent. I used to party with Khoury all the time. He was a really nice and legit dude. The rest of us were just dumb kids tbh.

I'm hoping its all Khoury, hopefully I run into him one day and tell him he's realgm famous lol
Childs wrote:WTF. I knew this guy at Crescent School when I was there from grade 3-8 until I went to Upper Canada College. He had a high pitch feminine scream. Small world.

RealGM comes through yet again!
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,742

Post#15 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:26 pm

Pretty much this. We aren’t running any revolutionary offensive sets that we haven’t copied from other teams that I can see.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,952

Post#16 » by ATLTimekeeper » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:49 pm

This guy was a BC hire and credited with the development of our Grantland-famous ghost defender software.

Return to Toronto Raptors