Collin Sexton

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Collin Sexton 

Post#1 » by King Ken » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:30 pm

Because Mr. 3 on 5 aka Young Bul needs his own thread.

No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: Collin Sexton 

Post#2 » by No-Man » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:31 pm

What do people think of his shooting? the results so far have been excellent but I am not convinced overall.
Worries me that he doesn't have great vertical athleticism and isn't that good at playmaking in halfcourt settings, much better passer in transition.
Overall he is a bit rough around the edges, but has enough physically and in terms of instincts (really needs how to attack a defense when he finds a crack) for me to like him, also his love for the game guarantees some sort of effort/chance at improvement.

Physically he ain't in the Wall/Westbrook level, not even Kyrie (he is a bit choppy, doesn't change speeds that well, ball-handling is limited, not that fluid), but I think he can be a Lowry type if the shot is for real.

If the shot isn't, and we need more of a sample size, he might be relegated to a scoring gun from the bench.
I think he is worth a top10 pick given his upside and how valuable creators are in the game right now.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,862

Post#3 » by TheSuzerain » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:28 pm

Fischella wrote:What do people think of his shooting? the results so far have been excellent but I am not convinced overall.
Worries me that he doesn't have great vertical athleticism and isn't that good at playmaking in halfcourt settings, much better passer in transition.
Overall he is a bit rough around the edges, but has enough physically and in terms of instincts (really needs how to attack a defense when he finds a crack) for me to like him, also his love for the game guarantees some sort of effort/chance at improvement.

Physically he ain't in the Wall/Westbrook level, not even Kyrie (he is a bit choppy, doesn't change speeds that well, ball-handling is limited, not that fluid), but I think he can be a Lowry type if the shot is for real.

If the shot isn't, and we need more of a sample size, he might be relegated to a scoring gun from the bench.
I think he is worth a top10 pick given his upside and how valuable creators are in the game right now.

I think you've consistently been underrating his athleticism.

He's not Wall/Westbrook, but he's still a guy who can elevate in traffic and through contact to get his shot off. He's got very nice frame and great strength.

He's got to be damn near leading the nation in drawing fouls. That's a sign of a dynamic guard on-ball to me.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#4 » by sipclip » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:34 pm

I'm not sure what you are talking about when questioning his vertical athleticism. Based on some of the highschool highlights that I have seen the kid has some serious hops. As far as his game goes I really like it. He isn't a pure pg but he is more than capable of breaking down the defense and finding the open man and also getting to the free throw line. I think he is every bit as talented as the top pg prospects of last years drafts but this draft is simply better so you will likely see him in the 7-10 range.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,862

Post#5 » by TheSuzerain » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:00 am

sipclip wrote:I'm not sure what you are talking about when questioning his vertical athleticism. Based on some of the highschool highlights that I have seen the kid has some serious hops. As far as his game goes I really like it. He isn't a pure pg but he is more than capable of breaking down the defense and finding the open man and also getting to the free throw line. I think he is every bit as talented as the top pg prospects of last years drafts but this draft is simply better so you will likely see him in the 7-10 range.

Sexton can sky off 2 feet, but that's not as useful as elevating off 1 foot.

While Sexton doesn't explode vertically off 1-foot, he still seems to be able to bound off of 1 foot to create layup looks or free throws, even in traffic.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Re: Collin Sexto 

Post#6 » by Mulhollanddrive » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:17 am

25ppg on 148 O-Rating is like real life youtube highlights.

But it's as much about whether he has the tools to overcome a stretch of 14ppg on 98 O-Rating when that happens.
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#7 » by jonjames » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:29 am

sipclip wrote:I'm not sure what you are talking about when questioning his vertical athleticism. Based on some of the highschool highlights that I have seen the kid has some serious hops. As far as his game goes I really like it. He isn't a pure pg but he is more than capable of breaking down the defense and finding the open man and also getting to the free throw line. I think he is every bit as talented as the top pg prospects of last years drafts but this draft is simply better so you will likely see him in the 7-10 range.

You think this draft is better than this past draft? Wow, thats quite tge statement considering how good and deep the 17 class is.

As far as sexton goes i dont think athleticism will be a problem for him much at the next level..hes an uber athlete who will have to adjust to physicality; add some floaters and get stronger in the upperbody. his intangibles really standout to me from all the other pgs or prospects in general. In every type of competition ive seen of him whether it was the mens junior nationals competition, highschool, mcdonalds all american scrimmage, dunkcontest this kid is not afraid of competition and and tries to put on a show everytime he steps on the court. He is fearless and has that dog in him and that mentality will help him go along way in the nba.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#8 » by nolang1 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:35 am

I'm a fan, but I'm hoping he doesn't get too much hype and end up overdrafted based on this 3-on-5 performance (kind of like Johnny Flynn and the legendary 6OT game). At first glance you'd expect him to be a gunner but he's got a very good track record of shooting accurately (looks like he had some first-game jitters at the free throw line but has been fine since then as well as before in EYBL/FIBA) and avoiding turnovers.

I'll be interested to see what he does defensively against the better point guards he'll see this season since Minnesota's were scoring quite a bit and it doesn't look like Sexton will be guarding many 2s in the NBA.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#9 » by No-Man » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:50 am

I think he is just unpolished so you guys might be right, I still think he isn't an uber athlete vertically
He is awesome at drawing fouls at this level and some of that will translate but he isn't gonna be breaking down defenses as easily if his shot isn't at least solid and his pull-ups are kind of a mess in terms of technique and touch, he has hit them I know that, but I am not confident just yet.

Overall I like him enough to probably pick him somewhere in the top10, just some qualms with his floor.
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#10 » by SlowPaced » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:51 pm

It's all about whether he sustains his jump shot for me. If he remains a good shooter throughout the year, he's a really bright prospect. His ability to find lanes in the defense and draw fouls is very valuable.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Re: RE: Re: Collin Sexton 

Post#11 » by sipclip » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:39 pm

jonjames wrote:

You think this draft is better than this past draft? Wow, thats quite tge statement considering how good and deep the 17 class is.

As far as sexton goes i dont think athleticism will be a problem for him much at the next level..hes an uber athlete who will have to adjust to physicality; add some floaters and get stronger in the upperbody. his intangibles really standout to me from all the other pgs or prospects in general. In every type of competition ive seen of him whether it was the mens junior nationals competition, highschool, mcdonalds all american scrimmage, dunkcontest this kid is not afraid of competition and and tries to put on a show everytime he steps on the court. He is fearless and has that dog in him and that mentality will help him go along way in the nba.

I don't think there is any doubt that the top 6 or 7 of this draft is viewed as being better than last year. If Doncic, Ayton, Baggley or Porter were in last year's draft they likely go number 1. The top of this draft is as good as I have ever seen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using RealGM mobile app
gopher wolf
Sophomore
And1: 15

Post#12 » by gopher wolf » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:11 pm

nolang1 wrote:I'm a fan, but I'm hoping he doesn't get too much hype and end up overdrafted based on this 3-on-5 performance (kind of like Johnny Flynn and the legendary 6OT game). At first glance you'd expect him to be a gunner but he's got a very good track record of shooting accurately (looks like he had some first-game jitters at the free throw line but has been fine since then as well as before in EYBL/FIBA) and avoiding turnovers.

I'll be interested to see what he does defensively against the better point guards he'll see this season since Minnesota's were scoring quite a bit and it doesn't look like Sexton will be guarding many 2s in the NBA.

In this game, Minnesota's Nate Mason definitely outplayed Collin and was the best guard on the floor before he got ejected. Was first team all big ten last year and is the best PG in the Big Ten right now.

7 second clip of Mason abusing Collin and nailing the 3.

https://gyazo.com/670994ba359aa6302fec15baaba7c0b3
TaylorTag
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#13 » by TaylorTag » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:35 pm

gopher wolf wrote:
nolang1 wrote:I'm a fan, but I'm hoping he doesn't get too much hype and end up overdrafted based on this 3-on-5 performance (kind of like Johnny Flynn and the legendary 6OT game). At first glance you'd expect him to be a gunner but he's got a very good track record of shooting accurately (looks like he had some first-game jitters at the free throw line but has been fine since then as well as before in EYBL/FIBA) and avoiding turnovers.

In this game, Minnesota's Nate Mason definitely outplayed Collin and was the best guard on the floor before he got ejected. Was first team all big ten last year and is the best PG in the Big Ten right now.

7 second clip of Mason abusing Collin and nailing the 3.

https://gyazo.com/670994ba359aa6302fec15baaba7c0b3

This...

Nate Mason is a senior so you can forgive Sexton here, but Mason definitely outplayed the guy. I wonder how NBA scouts view Mason.. Was Tyus Jones that much better of an athlete coming out of college (obviously Tyus was 1 and done, so hard to compare the two)
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#14 » by clyde21 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:56 pm

He's a sneaky good athlete actually, so I disagree with that criticism. He's looking like a top 10 prospect.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#15 » by Mulhollanddrive » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:53 am

How does he compare physically to Bledsoe?
KP6
Rookie
And1: 619

Post#16 » by KP6 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:57 pm

If your starving for a PG? He looks great to me. But I think he ends up going between 6-10 in this draft, unless a team is real hungry for the position. I question is jumping ability going to the rack.
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#17 » by ReginaldDwight » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:08 pm

Mulhollanddrive wrote:How does he compare physically to Bledsoe?

Well hes bigger but i dont think hes as quick as Bledsoe.
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#18 » by jonjames » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:11 pm

Athletically i think they are quite comparable. The biggest physical disparity is the upperbody strength. Bledsoe aka baby lebron is a tank 6'1 195 with 7-8% bodyfat. Meanwhile sexton is 6ft or 6'1 slender build and probably weighs 160-165lbs soaking wet.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#19 » by King Ken » Mon Dec 4, 2017 7:12 am

I heard he struggled recently
No-Man
RealGM

Post#20 » by No-Man » Mon Dec 4, 2017 7:51 am

jonjames wrote:

Athletically i think they are quite comparable. The biggest physical disparity is the upperbody strength. Bledsoe aka baby lebron is a tank 6'1 195 with 7-8% bodyfat. Meanwhile sexton is 6ft or 6'1 slender build and probably weighs 160-165lbs soaking wet.

Sexton isn't Bledsoe, nobody is, but he is plenty strong, he is taller than Bled probably by 1 inch and he is def bigger than 165 lol, you must have never seen him play, Sexton is easily 185 at least, probably close to 190, has really good strength, it's one of his selling points.

Again, not Bled, but nobody is.

Return to NBA Draft