ImageImageImageImageImage

Porzingis thread #4: The KP era is upon us

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Re: Porzingis thread #4: The KP era is upon us 

Post#1541 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:21 pm

He's fine. Look, teams are now throwing multiple defenders and slapping a figure 4 leglock on him. It's up to the rest of the Knicks to make them pay for that.
NY 567
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,437

Post#1542 » by NY 567 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:08 pm

I do not think Porzingis is a power forward, he's a center, and we're doing him and the team a disservice not playing him at Center. He's one of the best rim protectors in the league, he shouldn't be wearing himself out chasing stretch 4s all game. He's not going to have the endurance to play PF all year either. At the 5, he'd anchor our defense and he would literally be unguardable. Start Beasley next to him and get rid of all these serviceable but unspectacular backup centers.
fatalogic
Veteran
And1: 2,147

Post#1543 » by fatalogic » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:34 pm

NY 567 wrote:I do not think Porzingis is a power forward, he's a center, and we're doing him and the team a disservice not playing him at Center. He's one of the best rim protectors in the league, he shouldn't be wearing himself out chasing stretch 4s all game. He's not going to have the endurance to play PF all year either. At the 5, he'd anchor our defense and he would literally be unguardable. Start Beasley next to him and get rid of all these serviceable but unspectacular backup centers.

I feel like the last few games says otherwise. KP's body is not ready for center duty. Running around chasing stretch 4s is preferable to banging in the post from a longevity and rebounding perspective. At this point in his career he is best served having a high volume re bounder and post defender next to him.
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,217

Post#1544 » by Oscirus » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:11 pm

Being tall doesn't make someone a center. KP's a PF through and through
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
NY 567
Lead Assistant

Post#1545 » by NY 567 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:28 pm

Oscirus wrote:Being tall doesn't make someone a center. KP's a PF through and through

Arguably his best asset, rim protection, is wasted at the PF position. Centers also can't guard him on the perimeter or in the pick and pop. And at 7'3, he's not going to have the stamina to play PF the whole year. He's going to start breaking down like he did last year.
NY 567
Lead Assistant

Post#1546 » by NY 567 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:29 pm

fatalogic wrote:
NY 567 wrote:I do not think Porzingis is a power forward, he's a center, and we're doing him and the team a disservice not playing him at Center. He's one of the best rim protectors in the league, he shouldn't be wearing himself out chasing stretch 4s all game. He's not going to have the endurance to play PF all year either. At the 5, he'd anchor our defense and he would literally be unguardable. Start Beasley next to him and get rid of all these serviceable but unspectacular backup centers.

I feel like the last few games says otherwise. KP's body is not ready for center duty. Running around chasing stretch 4s is preferable to banging in the post from a longevity and rebounding perspective. At this point in his career he is best served having a high volume re bounder and post defender next to him.

I think the banging at Center would be easier to handle than the energy expended at PF, which is eventually going to hurt him on both sides of the floor, it arguably already has this year less than 20 games in.

Really though, it would probably be for the best for him to split time at both positions, and no, I don't consider the last 4 or 5 minutes of the game at Center a split. Something like 18 at Center next to Beasley or Thomas, and 18 at PF next to Kanter.
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,217

Post#1547 » by Oscirus » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:43 am

NY 567 wrote:
Oscirus wrote:Being tall doesn't make someone a center. KP's a PF through and through

Arguably his best asset, rim protection, is wasted at the PF position. Centers also can't guard him on the perimeter or in the pick and pop. And at 7'3, he's not going to have the stamina to play PF the whole year. He's going to start breaking down like he did last year.

He protects just fine from the PF position. It really doesn't matter what position he plays, he'll normally draw the teams best defender be it a center pf or even a small forward.

Center's harder on the body then PF due to all the constant banging.
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
KnickFan33
Veteran
And1: 1,446

Post#1548 » by KnickFan33 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:58 pm

Here's Kristaps Porzingis on his new approach to training in season this year: "What I've done this year is I'm putting a lot less work on the basketball court. I'm working a lot less I would say than the years before, trying to save all my energy and putting that in the weight room and getting as much rest as possible. That's the key for me, staying strong during the season. If I can maintain my body compact and strong then all the physicality is not going to drain me as much. It's all about me lifting and getting rest."

I'm not sure what to make of this. He should definitely be working on getting stronger, but should still be working on his game. Thoughts?
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,653

Post#1549 » by Knicksfan1992 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:16 pm

KnickFan33 wrote:
Here's Kristaps Porzingis on his new approach to training in season this year: "What I've done this year is I'm putting a lot less work on the basketball court. I'm working a lot less I would say than the years before, trying to save all my energy and putting that in the weight room and getting as much rest as possible. That's the key for me, staying strong during the season. If I can maintain my body compact and strong then all the physicality is not going to drain me as much. It's all about me lifting and getting rest."

I'm not sure what to make of this. He should definitely be working on getting stronger, but should still be working on his game. Thoughts?

I don't think anyone has questioned KP's skill level even though he could be a better passer and more aware on offense in general. The key for him is to stay strong throughout the season because it seems like fatigue bothers him more than anything else does. When he's going he's nearly unstoppable as we saw the first 10 games of the season.
Kurt Rambis
Senior
And1: 483

Post#1550 » by Kurt Rambis » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:21 pm

KnickFan33 wrote:

Off season is for working on his skills.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,435

Post#1551 » by j4remi » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:31 pm

KnickFan33 wrote:

Right now his skill level is way ahead of his body development (as shown by nagging injuries throughout his career), so I don't have a problem with it. Stick to the weightroom and focus on the skills in the offseason and on breaks.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Yankeeknickfan
RealGM
And1: 4,627

Post#1552 » by Yankeeknickfan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:01 am

The worst part about this is even if he's healthy, he won't be the same all season. He'll struggle to even be half as consistent all season. All is lost until next year
Imageceltics
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#1553 » by magnumt » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:13 am

Yankeeknickfan wrote:The worst part about this is even if he's healthy, he won't be the same all season. He'll struggle to even be half as consistent all season. All is lost until next year

They just said, he's fine. Just a sprain and is even eligible to return for this game.

--Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
Yankeeknickfan
RealGM

Post#1554 » by Yankeeknickfan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:18 am

The Knicks are a dumb organization, so they'll make him play through it. Won't give him the week to fully heal
Imageceltics
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#1555 » by magnumt » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:23 am

Yankeeknickfan wrote:The Knicks are a dumb organization, so they'll make him play through it. Won't give him the week to fully heal

Thru just let Kanter miss a week for back spasms. So...

BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,610

Post#1556 » by Billy Goat » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:24 am

NY 567 wrote:
fatalogic wrote:

I think the banging at Center would be easier to handle than the energy expended at PF, which is eventually going to hurt him on both sides of the floor, it arguably already has this year less than 20 games in.

Really though, it would probably be for the best for him to split time at both positions, and no, I don't consider the last 4 or 5 minutes of the game at Center a split. Something like 18 at Center next to Beasley or Thomas, and 18 at PF next to Kanter.

He's not a better center than Kanter. KP is a wing.
Yankeeknickfan
RealGM

Post#1557 » by Yankeeknickfan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:29 am

magnumt wrote:
Yankeeknickfan wrote:The Knicks are a dumb organization, so they'll make him play through it. Won't give him the week to fully heal

Thru just let Kanter miss a week for back spasms. So...

Sorry mags, I'm paranoid.
Imageceltics
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,776

Post#1558 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:31 am

Beasley and KOQ are the kings of the turnover
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,776