ImageImageImageImageImage

2017/2018 NBA Trade/Wishing Well Thread (Cont.)

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Who's Your Daddy?!

Capn'O
35%
DK
6%
KoC
3%
NLR
6%
GONYK
15%
Moocow
12%
Remi
6%
KT
15%
Thorn
No votes
Thugger
3%

Total votes: 34

newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Re: 2017/2018 NBA Trade/Wishing Well Thread (Cont.) 

Post#341 » by newyorker4ever » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:26 pm

Boarder Patrol wrote:I think KOQ to Boston for their first round pick this year makes a lot of sense. They have an exception for Hayward, the pick is late but still a first, and KOQ will need to be paid soon anyway. The calculus on this changes if you want to keep KOQ long term but who knows what the plan is.

I think if Boston makes any trade it will be for a much bigger name then KOQ. They're in a good spot this year and playing well right now but i could see them getting a D.Jordan or a name like it. I'd be all for trading KOQ for a 1st round pick but not sure Boston would.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#342 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:39 pm

We need to get Noah some burn. He actually looked good for the few minutes he was on the court against the TBs. Maybe we can build up his value some.
RealGM
And1: 39,071

Post#343 » by 2010 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:35 pm

I'd trade Courtney Lee for Mo Harkless straight-up. Then try to flip Kyle O'Quinn for a high 2nd rounder.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#344 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:45 pm

How about:

Luol Deng, Julius Randle, Glenn Robinson III, Joe Young, Al Jefferson and a second round pick to NYK

Jordan Clarkson, Courtney Lee, Kyle O’Quinn, Mike Beasley, Corey Brewer and Thomas Bryant to Indy

Joakim Noah, Wily Hernangomez, Thad Young, Darren Collison and Ike Abinogu to LAL
Mush Man
Junior
And1: 86

Post#345 » by Mush Man » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:47 pm

It's so easy to let a little bit of hope change your whole plan.
We had a plan. We should not let this short 500 streak change it.

if we have any long term thinking at all we will be trying to sell high(wish) right now on
Lee, O'Quinn and Thomas

Don't get me wrong, I really like all three players. I especially have been impressed with how good Lee is this year.
But all three need to go while they will bring something back. We're a surprise 500 team. All three of these guys have played well. There value can only go down from here.

There is a contest running on the trade board. There have been a number of trades that have scored points (5 people vote yes for both teams before 5 vote no) with the Knicks involved. Here are two I would pull the trigger on right now. Both of them scored solid yes's with voters including fans of the other team.

TRADE 1

Knicks - Courtney Lee, Kyle O'Quinn
New Orleans - Omer Asik, Alexis Ajinca, Frank Jackson, 2018 1st (Top 8 Protected)

Lands us a good 1st, plus an almost first (Jackson was the first pick of the second round this past draft) and saves us 8M with Asik's final year 3M buy out. Ask and Ajinca never see the floor opening up time for Hernangomez and even Noah (who we are never getting rid of, so we might as well let him teach hustle and smart unselfish play by example. Jackson and Frank get to grow together to be a decade long combo at PG. They might even be able to play a few minutes together once they are in their prime depending on their shooting.

TRADE 2

Knicks - Lance Thomas
Timberwolves: Cole Aldrich, 2018 MIN 2nd and right to swap Mia 2019 2nd with Least favorable of Orl/Cle/Hou 2019 2nd

We clear another 5M with Aldrich final year 2M buy out and get a really good second. Plus we open up even more playing time for young wings.

Yes, these trades end up with a bunch of centers in the 12-15 slots, but who cares - they need to be looked at as contracts, saving money and years, and not as players at this point.

After these two trades, you do everything possible to maximize Kanter's (and to some extent McDermott's) value to see if they might bring something at the trade deadline. Before the season I thought there was no way Kanter would be flippable, but now seeing that he is playing better D than advertised, and more importantly what a strong team guy he is, it gives me some hope that some team looking for a little offense at Center and a shot of team chemistry might make an offer.

Finally, I know this will be a minority opinion given how everyone is falling in love with his play this year, but if Hardaway is playing at all star level at the end of the trade deadline, we should sniff around to see if he can be flipped for a dead contract and a really good first (or someone picked in the lottery the last two seasons). Maybe a team with really poor history of being able to attract free agents (Phoenix, Charlotte, Sacramento, Utah, etc) might look at his deal as a real plus running almost the entire length.
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#346 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:57 pm

Mush Man wrote:It's so easy to let a little bit of hope change your whole plan.

if we have any long term thinking at all we will be trying to sell high(wish) right now on
Lee, O'Quinn and Thomas

Don't get me wrong, I really like all three players. I especially have been impressed with how good Lee is this year.
But all three need to go while they will bring something back. We're a surprise 500 team. All three of these guys have played well. There value can only go down from here.

There is a contest running on the trade board. There have been a number of trades that have scored points (5 people vote yes for both teams before 5 vote no) with the Knicks involved. Here are two I would pull the trigger on right now. Both of them scored solid yes's with voters including fans of the other team.

TRADE 1

New Orleans - Omer Asik, Alexis Ajinca, Frank Jackson, 2018 1st (Top 8 Protected)

Lands us a good 1st, plus an almost first (Jackson was the first pick of the second round this past draft) and saves us 8M with Asik's final year 3M buy out. Ask and Ajinca never see the floor opening up time for Hernangomez and even Noah (who we are never getting rid of, so we might as well let him teach hustle and smart unselfish play by example. Jackson and Frank get to grow together to be a decade long combo at PG. They might even be able to play a few minutes together once they are in their prime depending on their shooting.

TRADE 2

Knicks - Lance Thomas
Timberwolves: Cole Aldrich, 2018 MIN 2nd and right to swap Mia 2019 2nd with Least favorable of Orl/Cle/Hou 2019 2nd

We clear another 5M with Aldrich final year 2M buy out and get a really good second. Plus we open up even more playing time for young wings.

Yes, these trades end up with a bunch of centers in the 12-15 slots, but who cares - they need to be looked at as contracts, saving money and years, and not as players at this point.

After these two trades, you do everything possible to maximize Kanter's (and to some extent McDermott's) value to see if they might bring something at the trade deadline. Before the season I thought there was no way Kanter would be flippable, but now seeing that he is playing better D than advertised, and more importantly what a strong team guy he is, it gives me some hope that some team looking for a little offense at Center and a shot of team chemistry might make an offer.

Finally, I know this will be a minority opinion given how everyone is falling in love with his play this year, but if Hardaway is playing at all star level at the end of the trade deadline, we should sniff around to see if he can be flipped for a dead contract and a really good first (or someone picked in the lottery the last two seasons). Maybe a team with really poor history of being able to attract free agents (Phoenix, Charlotte, Sacramento, Utah, etc) might look at his deal as a real plus running almost the entire length.

I like. In trade one I might ask for Diallo instead of Frank or even get greedy and ask for both being that alotting developments to two 19 year old Franks could stall both. And Jackson hasn’t proven he can play....but I’m nitpicking. I like the idea of it all. Let’s see where we stand ten games from now.
Rocket_Raccoon
Sophomore
And1: 103

Post#347 » by Rocket_Raccoon » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:20 am

Mush Man wrote:It's so easy to let a little bit of hope change your whole plan.

Lee, O'Quinn and Thomas

TRADE 1

TRADE 2

Knicks - Lance Thomas

I like these a lot.
Mush Man
Junior
And1: 86

Post#348 » by Mush Man » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:22 am

BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:
I like. In trade one I might ask for Diallo instead of Frank or even get greedy and ask for both being that alotting developments to two 19 year old Franks could stall both. And Jackson hasn’t proven he can play....but I’m nitpicking. I like the idea of it all. Let’s see where we stand ten games from now.

sure - both deals could be tinkered with around the edges - but it's the way the deals fit in a more cohesive plan that is important. Save money, save years, get firsts, get young players, take on dead weight players for slots 11-15 that never see playing time instead of using the 11-15 slots for players like Dotson, Baker and Hernangomez - who all should be playing,

For example, if it helped with roster slots you could ask for both Diallo and Jackson and add McDormott on our end to entice them. New Orleans really needs wing depth and a back up center - We have 3 players that fit that bill - New Orleans has no time to develop 19 and 20 year olds if they have any hope of keeping Davis and Cousins - We're perfect trading partners

and LT is a perfect Thibs player - you can tinker around edges, but a pick and a player with a short buyout is a great return for LT
FemaleDogPlease
Veteran
And1: 1,473

Post#349 » by FemaleDogPlease » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:37 am

Would be nice to pair Favors with Porzingis in the front court.
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#350 » by newyorker4ever » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:17 am

2010 wrote:I'd trade Courtney Lee for Mo Harkless straight-up. Then try to flip Kyle O'Quinn for a high 2nd rounder.

I would not trade C.Lee for M.Harkless cause i think we can do better than Harkless for C.Lee whether that be in a player or draft pick. Harkless isn't playing very well this year either.
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#351 » by newyorker4ever » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:19 am

BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:How about:

Luol Deng, Julius Randle, Glenn Robinson III, Joe Young, Al Jefferson and a second round pick to NYK

Jordan Clarkson, Courtney Lee, Kyle O’Quinn, Mike Beasley, Corey Brewer and Thomas Bryant to Indy

Joakim Noah, Wily Hernangomez, Thad Young, Darren Collison and Ike Abinogu to LAL

Ewwwwwwwww, that would not be a good trade for us.
Zingod
Rookie
And1: 895

Post#352 » by Zingod » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:12 pm

Bulls' 2nd rounder for Sam Dekker or Kevon Looney.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#353 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:33 pm

Zingod wrote:Bulls' 2nd rounder for Sam Dekker or Kevon Looney.

No.
Spree2Houston
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,731

Post#354 » by Spree2Houston » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:42 pm

Our priority should be shedding as many contracts as we can by the deadline. Courtney Lee, Lance Thomas, Ron Baker, Kyle O'Quinn are all trade-able contracts. I'm praying Noah looks good from here on out and we can maybe attach WHG and one of our high 2nds to shed his contract but that probably will be extremely unlikely.
Zingod
Rookie
And1: 895

Post#355 » by Zingod » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:10 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:

No.

Looney is 21 and getting playing time for NBA champs and playing well. Most 2nd rounders are out of the league before you remember their name. Maybe not the best fit but if u can get a young improving rotation player for a 2nd round pick you do it.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#356 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:17 pm

Zingod wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

No.

Looney is 21 and getting playing time for NBA champs and playing well. Most 2nd rounders are out of the league before you remember their name. Maybe not the best fit but if u can get a young improving rotation player for a 2nd round pick you do it.

Looney hasn't done anything in the NBA, had a bad hip injury that zapped most of his athleticism, and has no position - not skilled enough to be a 4 and isn't a 5 either...AND they declined his option, making him a UFA. If we want him, we can sign him. Also, saying he "gets minutes" is a major stretch. He's played in half of the games, and only gets ~10 minutes per game that he does play in.

As for Dekker, no thanks. Combo forward who can't shoot efficiently, doesn't have a good handle, not a creator, not a defender, and can't beat out guys on a bad Clippers' roster for minutes. If we were to trade for any player on that team, Thornwell would be the guy...someone we should have drafted.

Again, no. We're better off keeping the pick and drafting someone in the early second, than giving it up for Looney or Dekker.
NYKnicksFTW
Pro Prospect
And1: 636

Post#357 » by NYKnicksFTW » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:52 pm

NYKnicksFTW wrote:Courtney Lee for Justise Winslow straight up. Who says no?

Best proposal ever
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,603

Post#358 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:29 pm

randle/glenn/young are all good young players. sign me up
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#359 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:11 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:

We'd have to pay Randle if we were keeping him (and I think he's looking at a good size contract right now), GRIII is a FA as well and is looking at 8 per year at least IMO, and Joe Young is Joe Dirt. We're trading a cost-controlled player to pay two players good money in FA, one of whom (Randle) isn't even wanted by their team going forward...

This deal really isn't that great. It's interesting and I like Randle more than most, but we're be in cap hell going forward anyway. I'd ask for a first round pick from Indiana instead of a second round pick.

Actually...thinking at it a bit differently...I think Lee can get us a late first (or a second) and KOQ can get a late first or second on his own from a playoff team / contending team, so I don't see a point in this.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,603

Post#360 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:26 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:

We'd have to pay Randle if we were keeping him (and I think he's looking at a good size contract right now), GRIII is a FA as well and is looking at 8 per year at least IMO, and Joe Young is Joe Dirt. We're trading a cost-controlled player to pay two players good money in FA, one of whom (Randle) isn't even wanted by their team going forward...

This deal really isn't that great. It's interesting and I like Randle more than most, but we're be in cap hell going forward anyway. I'd ask for a first round pick from Indiana instead of a second round pick.

Actually...thinking at it a bit differently...I think Lee can get us a late first (or a second) and KOQ can get a late first or second on his own from a playoff team / contending team, so I don't see a point in this.

could've sworn i read that as joe harris instead of joe young. thought harris was young for some reason. nvm.. carry on lol
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it

Return to New York Knicks