The Official Conor McGregor Thread

Moderator: lilfishi22

qm22
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Re: The Official Conor McGregor Thread 

Post#281 » by qm22 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:22 am

Am I too cynical to wonder if it's marketing and Conor is going to defeat a crime gang in his next saga?

Hard to get a feel for the rumors being totally ignorant of Ireland. Like how big crime gangs can be in Ireland, their influence vs. McGregor's, and McGregor's security status. Is Ireland really a place where organized crime has such coercive power?
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#282 » by REDDzone » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:31 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:I'd not object to him getting got.

Not until after he gets d'arced by Tony please.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,459

Post#283 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:22 pm

qm22 wrote:Am I too cynical to wonder if it's marketing and Conor is going to defeat a crime gang in his next saga?

Hard to get a feel for the rumors being totally ignorant of Ireland. Like how big crime gangs can be in Ireland, their influence vs. McGregor's, and McGregor's security status. Is Ireland really a place where organized crime has such coercive power?

Yes, very much so. Entire neighborhoods were shut-off and self-governed by gangster warlord types dating to eras where the British/civil/Protestant authorities could not step foot in the territory.

Like any other civil war and sectarian place, gangsters fill vacuums where civil authorities can't.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,504

Post#284 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:51 pm

Conor's dad did a short interview saying none of it is true, no one's after their family and he's just about to go shopping for his grandson's xmas. That along with Conor's casual IG posts since the alleged brawl makes me feel like this story is being totally blown up by the media.

I know nothing about gangs in Ireland so I could be totally off but that's the feeling I got...
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#285 » by Headliner » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:30 pm

It's gonna take connor time, a divorce and a bad investment to realize that he needs another pay day.
The reality is, if he made 100 mill on that fight (big if) he lost 50% to taxes. in our world, he's filthy rich, but in celeb land, he's playing with peanuts. We've see NBA players blow far greater fortunes in a matter of years. Conor needs to be smart, the fight game is a short one, and he needs to capitalize on his success, and get at least two or three more huge pay days before his name isn't what it currently is.
Let's face it, he's not GSP, he's not a GOAT, most of his success has been through marketing. he can't stay out of the game partying and think his skills are so far superior that he can come back at any time and win. There's a good shot that he loses his next fight. If he loses two fights in a row, his draw ability dies.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,826

Post#286 » by Jasen777 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:33 pm

Headliner wrote:There's a good shot that he loses his next fight.

I think he has a chance against Paulie.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,826

Post#287 » by Jasen777 » Fri Dec 1, 2017 12:19 am

lilfishi22 wrote:Conor's dad did a short interview saying none of it is true, no one's after their family and he's just about to go shopping for his grandson's xmas. That along with Conor's casual IG posts since the alleged brawl makes me feel like this story is being totally blown up by the media.

I know nothing about gangs in Ireland so I could be totally off but that's the feeling I got...

There's enough smoke that I think something happened.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#288 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Dec 1, 2017 12:25 am

Jasen777 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Conor's dad did a short interview saying none of it is true, no one's after their family and he's just about to go shopping for his grandson's xmas. That along with Conor's casual IG posts since the alleged brawl makes me feel like this story is being totally blown up by the media.

There's enough smoke that I think something happened.

I'm sure something did go down and the "celebrity" was Conor but I think it's been blown out of proportion. I mean, they mentioned some old guy who was punched but was not the main target and who knows what level of affiliation that guy had to this gang? I just feel like there's so much conjecture and speculation, combined with Conor's star status, it's led to the media making it bigger than it really is.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#289 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Dec 3, 2017 6:22 am

I want to see McGregor vs Holloway 2!
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,891
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#290 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Dec 3, 2017 7:52 am

Conor is like Nate to me at this point. I'd love to see him fight, but until he signs, and we actually have a fight, I'm over talking about it. :/
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#291 » by Headliner » Sun Dec 3, 2017 4:21 pm

Except Conor holds a belt, and is actually a top level fighter.
Nate isn't at all,
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#292 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Dec 3, 2017 10:30 pm

Headliner wrote:Except Conor holds a belt, and is actually a top level fighter.
Nate isn't at all,

I kinda get what he means. The way Nate takes time off the way he does and comes back right back potentially into the title picture (Woodley fight) is ridiculous but I do enjoy watching him fight. At the same time, until he puts pen to paper and rocks up to the cage, I don't really care all that much about him as a fighter. That's how I feel about Conor, there's all this talk about him being the $100m man (that's cool but doesn't affect me), how he doesn't need to fight if he didn't want to, he may or may not come back...all of that just leads me to feel like I don't really care about him as a fighter until he actually does come back and walks into the cage.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,891
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#293 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Dec 4, 2017 9:16 am

One of my favorite things about Conor was how frequently he fought. He’s really gone the other way on that now.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,074

Post#294 » by High 5 » Mon Dec 4, 2017 3:53 pm

He's won his belts and secured his finances. Now he gets to live his dream before 30. And before he's taken too much punishment. But at the same time he has huge money fights available to him whenever he wants. It's not a bad position to be in, as much as it sucks for the fans.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#295 » by REDDzone » Mon Dec 4, 2017 4:09 pm

Its possible he never fights again.

With that caveat, I wouldn't be too concerned about his inactivity in 2017. He basically fought four times in 2016 (three times plus end of year event in 12/2015). Plus the Mayweather thing took awhile to come together and he obviously had to train a lot for that.

I don't really think its that uncommon for a guy to only get 1-2 fights in after a year where he got 3-5 fights in. Sometimes that's just how the schedule shakes out.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#296 » by Headliner » Mon Dec 4, 2017 11:50 pm

He's definitely going to fight again, if only for his ego.
He's the king of the fight world right now, in 3-4 years he's a memory. I remember reading about famous wrestlers who retired, and the one thing the longed for in their life, despite the millions they may have made was the pop of the crowd, and the cheers, and the boos. It's a drug and without it life can seem very quiet.

Connor will take his time, enjoy his wins, but he'll certainly get back in the cage/ring again.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,749

Post#297 » by spykelee » Fri Dec 8, 2017 11:59 pm

Whether he does or he doesn’t I could care less. Wish he’d just go away

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#298 » by Headliner » Sat Dec 9, 2017 1:03 am

Conor vs Manny P coming up next? Conor drops the belt if so.

Blah, could not care less. I can't believe he might get a 100 million again lol.
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,141

Post#299 » by CjayC » Sat Dec 9, 2017 8:31 am

He's going to get his ass beat even by an old Pacquiao. I ain't mad at him for making money, just make him drop the belt.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#300 » by Headliner » Sat Dec 9, 2017 4:40 pm

I hope Manny drops him quickly just to end the whole Conor vs boxer experiment going on.
Nate Diaz is leaving to box as well apparently. He's going to realize quickly that people aren't going to pay to watch him box.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts