ImageImage

The Marvin Gaye Williams Thread

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,457

Re: The Marvin Gaye Williams Thread 

Post#1001 » by GoBobs » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:29 am

There was a time this season when I wondered if Marvin would ever hit another shot, but he is killing it lately.

50 games pre all star

11 ppg 5.6 reb
41% from the floor 35% from 3

10 games post all star break

14.5 ppg 8.7 reb
53% from the floor 38% from 3

last six games he is averaging 10.2 reb
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#1002 » by 316Hornets » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:30 am

Marvin is seriously bringing me flashbacks of Atlanta Marvin. I just hope he is able to save some of his energy for next season.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,202

Post#1003 » by amcoolio » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:52 am

So, production per dollar this is one of the worst contracts in the NBA. You can erase him from history tomorrow and it wouldn't affect the team one bit. How can we fix this before the rest of the NBA knows.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,494

Post#1004 » by Bassman » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:45 pm

amcoolio wrote:So, production per dollar this is one of the worst contracts in the NBA. You can erase him from history tomorrow and it wouldn't affect the team one bit. How can we fix this before the rest of the NBA knows.

Too late. A bad contract and commitment by this team. Scared to rely on youth, they return to a rapidly aging vet who was already demonstrating slippage from a very average game.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,548

Re: RE: Re: The Marvin Gaye Williams Thread 

Post#1005 » by yosemiteben » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:57 pm

Bassman wrote:
amcoolio wrote:So, production per dollar this is one of the worst contracts in the NBA. You can erase him from history tomorrow and it wouldn't affect the team one bit. How can we fix this before the rest of the NBA knows.

Too late. A bad contract and commitment by this team. Scared to rely on youth, they return to a rapidly aging vet who was already demonstrating slippage from a very average game.

Unbelievably bad take.

What youth were they supposed to rely on in the summer of 2016 instead of extending Marv?

Was Marv "rapidly aging" at age 29 after putting up arguably the best numbers of his career?
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,494

Post#1006 » by Bassman » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:07 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
Bassman wrote:

Unbelievably bad take.

What youth were they supposed to rely on in the summer of 2016 instead of extending Marv?

Was Marv "rapidly aging" at age 29 after putting up arguably the best numbers of his career?

It was a contract year. Check out the results. Did you anticipate he would improve upon his numbers? Not me. When I say rapid aging I meant his game falloff from his years and mileage. I felt the $$ were too high for what he was worth investing in. Numbers prove I was right.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,202

Post#1007 » by amcoolio » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:57 pm

Doesn't matter, we need to offload him to a "contending" team before his value completely plummets. I would trade him for Brandon Knight at this point. At least Knight offers upside, even if its a thimble's worth, even though he is garbage
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#1008 » by HoopsMalone » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:51 am

amcoolio wrote:Doesn't matter, we need to offload him to a "contending" team before his value completely plummets. I would trade him for Brandon Knight at this point. At least Knight offers upside, even if its a thimble's worth, even though he is garbage

Marv has negative value at the moment. He's actually playing pretty solidly the last couple of games which is huge. For a minute there he looked completely washed up to start the season.

We overpaid for an aging veteran coming off a career year. We had a great opportunity to let Batum/Marv both walk and then load up with vets around our cheap Kemba/Lamb/MKG/Kaminsky/Zeller lineup...

With cap space drying up we could have built a really nice squad with the absurd amount of cap room we woulda had :banghead:
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1009 » by yosemiteben » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:18 am

Don't look now but Marv has career highs in FG% and 3PT% this season.
HoopsMalone
Veteran

Post#1010 » by HoopsMalone » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:39 am

I literally almost bumped this thread earlier but i got distracted and forgot. After a poor season last year and a HORRENDOUS start to the year I was scared Marv was just completely done.

I bought the "finger injury" last year as the reason his shot was off. But when he showed up the first few games and couldnt even make a free throw i thought "oh _____ we got a joakim noah on our hands"

He's probably not gonna be a top 10-12 PF or anything, but he's definitely NOT the problem right now.

He lacks any flair but he makes saavy veteran plays and provides solid spacing on offense. That has real value. That's the kind of stuff that opens up the paint for Kemba to go to work on folks.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,127

Post#1011 » by Braggins » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:46 am

Marvin has been low key very solid. I still don't like his contract length though.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,502

Post#1012 » by HornetJail » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:15 pm

yosemiteben wrote:Don't look now but Marv has career highs in FG% and 3PT% this season.

yeah he's been just fine. Would like him to get more shots up, but overall I'm happy with him so far, even though he's kind of disappeared a couple of times. I'm liking him a lot more than Frank right now anyway.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 861

Post#1013 » by Chapelchilla » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:49 pm

Marvin is back to being what he is, pretty good. I wish he was a little nastier and could block shots etc but that's not who he is.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1014 » by yosemiteben » Sun Dec 3, 2017 3:12 am

We need Marv to hunt his shot like Frank does. His %s are too high for him to just be averaging 6.8 FGA.
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#1015 » by catch20two » Sun Dec 3, 2017 4:24 am

yosemiteben wrote:We need Marv to hunt his shot like Frank does. His %s are too high for him to just be averaging 6.8 FGA.

Nah he’s playing within himself. If he tries to do more he’ll be missing like Frank.

Frank need stop hunting his shot like Marv does and we’ll be better off.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1016 » by yosemiteben » Sun Dec 3, 2017 5:00 am

catch20two wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:We need Marv to hunt his shot like Frank does. His %s are too high for him to just be averaging 6.8 FGA.

Nah he’s playing within himself. If he tries to do more he’ll be missing like Frank.

Marv has never shot as poorly as Frank.
HoopsMalone
Veteran

Post#1017 » by HoopsMalone » Sun Dec 3, 2017 6:25 am

yosemiteben wrote:
catch20two wrote:

Marv was pretty useless last year... 35% from 3's and I swear not a single one of them had a man within 12 feet of him... His percentage seemed even worse than that.

He's been great this year though. Total revival. Really solid player on both ends at a below market rate right now.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#1018 » by catch20two » Sun Dec 3, 2017 6:35 am

yosemiteben wrote:
catch20two wrote:

Yea because he plays within himself.

If he start hunting his shot like Frank then he’ll be bricking like Frank.

I know what I said lol.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: The Marvin Gaye Williams Thread 

Post#1019 » by yosemiteben » Sun Dec 3, 2017 1:12 pm

catch20two wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:
catch20two wrote:Nah he’s playing within himself. If he tries to do more he’ll be missing like Frank.

I know what I said lol.
In 2015-16 he only averaged 2 less FGAs per 100 possessions than Frank is this season and had his most efficient season.
catch20two
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: The Marvin Gaye Williams Thread 

Post#1020 » by catch20two » Sun Dec 3, 2017 2:12 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
catch20two wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:Marv has never shot as poorly as Frank.

I know what I said lol.
In 2015-16 he only averaged 2 less FGAs per 100 possessions than Frank is this season and had his most efficient season.

The key phrase is less FGAs than Frank. The last thing I want is for Marv to try to be more like Frank. But I would like for Frank to be more like Marv.

Your original post was you wishing that Marv hunted for his shot as much as Frank. I disagreed because I wish Frank hunted for his shot less the way Marv do. If Frank hunted for his shot less than he’d probably be more efficient like Marv rather than trying to do stuff that he can’t do.

Return to Charlotte Hornets