LaMelo Ball, LiAngelo Ball Considering Pro Deal Overseas

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

LaMelo Ball, LiAngelo Ball Considering Pro Deal Overseas 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Dec 5, 2017 2:34 pm

LaMelo Ball and LiAngelo Ball have begun to explore their options in playing professional basketball overseas.

Harrison Gaines, the representative for LaMelo, 16, and LiAngelo, 19, started initial contact with overseas teams this week.

LaMelo Ball had previously committed to UCLA while LiAngelo Ball left the school this week in the wake of his indefinite suspension. 

LaMelo, who left Chino Hills before his junior season this year to be home-schooled, is considered a legitimate pro prospect and a consensus top-10 player in the class of 2019.

Via Shams Charania/The Vertical

BasketballJosh
Junior
And1: 35

Re: LaMelo Ball, LiAngelo Ball Considering Pro Deal Overseas 

Post#2 » by BasketballJosh » Tue Dec 5, 2017 3:40 pm

I'm sure we can rule out China, no?
kacey ring
Bench Warmer
And1: 686

Post#3 » by kacey ring » Tue Dec 5, 2017 4:05 pm

BasketballJosh wrote:I'm sure we can rule out China, no?

I don’t know, good chance LiAngelo could lead the league in steals.

Would love for them to go overseas, maybe we won’t hear from them in awhile, but LaVar will complain about the coaching and lack of PT his kids will get.
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,148

Post#4 » by Diggr14 » Tue Dec 5, 2017 4:22 pm

How a father built up and then ruined 3 sons basketball careers.

Shakespeare could have written this.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
Hoopzilla
Starter
And1: 520

Post#5 » by Hoopzilla » Tue Dec 5, 2017 4:27 pm

If Lavar isn't happy with the way coaches treat his sons in America, he is going to get a wake up call of epic proportions overseas. Veterans don't usually take players under their wings, a decent number of them won't even speak your language. One bad game and you can get cut. It's tough love and a sink or swim mentality over there. The rules are different and there is a lot more contact in the international game than their is in America. Enjoy!!!
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,648

Post#6 » by nedleeds » Tue Dec 5, 2017 4:38 pm

LeTurds
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#7 » by Donnyxc » Tue Dec 5, 2017 6:55 pm

Diggr14 wrote:How a father built up and then ruined 3 sons basketball careers.

Honestly though, LiAngelo is questionably gifted enough to be an NBA player. I'm sure with hardwork he may have a shot to be drafted, but it was never a sure thing. Playing abroad is absolutely not ruining their careers. They are going to make a lot of money and live pretty comfortable lives. You can argue this would've happened if on their own, but you can't really argue that Lavar didn't have an impact here. BBB is now known overseas (for better or for worse). I wouldn't mind being a stud in the China or European leagues, getting paid a hefty contract. Live an elite life, meet a lot of interesting people, play basketball with minimal pressure. Beats my ordinary desk job. Iverson did it. Marbury did it.

As for LaMelo, the jury is still out on what type of career he'll have.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#8 » by Barcs » Tue Dec 5, 2017 7:12 pm

How is this newsworthy?
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
BernteB
Senior
And1: 905

Post#9 » by BernteB » Tue Dec 5, 2017 7:23 pm

Donnyxc wrote:

Honestly though, LiAngelo is questionably gifted enough to be an NBA player. I'm sure with hardwork he may have a shot to be drafted, but it was never a sure thing. Playing abroad is absolutely not ruining their careers. They are going to make a lot of money and live pretty comfortable lives. You can argue this would've happened if on their own, but you can't really argue that Lavar didn't have an impact here. BBB is now known overseas (for better or for worse). I wouldn't mind being a stud in the China or European leagues, getting paid a hefty contract. Live an elite life, meet a lot of interesting people, play basketball with minimal pressure. Beats my ordinary desk job. Iverson did it. Marbury did it.

looks like you have no clue about basketball in europe. if he's going to play in a competitive league like spain, greece, italy, france or germany, he will be everything but a stud, based on what i've seen so far from him. he will struggle to even make the final roster cut.
PHXCavaliers
Sophomore
And1: 18

Post#10 » by PHXCavaliers » Tue Dec 5, 2017 7:38 pm

BernteB wrote:
Donnyxc wrote:

looks like you have no clue about basketball in europe. if he's going to play in a competitive league like spain, greece, italy, france or germany, he will be everything but a stud, based on what i've seen so far from him. he will struggle to even make the final roster cut.

Which is why the article says overseas, not over in Europe....... He will go to China and grab all the bread he can, at least I would if I was him.

And I dont mean that as a joke I would actually go to China and get paid as much as possible while the wave is still there..... Lamelo who knows but is at least a semi reputable prospect...... Liangelo should have just took the free degree and stayed all 4 years at UCLA in my opinion then went and played overseas if the Ball hype is still high..... now if he is out of UCLA just go grab money while you can and call it a career
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#11 » by macNcheese3 » Tue Dec 5, 2017 9:37 pm

LaVar is a moron.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#12 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed Dec 6, 2017 12:25 am

Wondering how the theft thing factors into this.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,685

Post#13 » by DAWill1128 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 8:53 am

Should just let LiAngelo play out his 4 years of college and see where he ends up, maybe you can't repair the UCLA situation but why doesn't he go play at another regional school like SDSU or UNLV? I am surprised LiAngelo was able to get on an upper echelon D1 program.

LaMelo has no structure or discipline to his game but a good college coach could have worked with him on tightening up his game.
Rollie
Junior
And1: 34

Post#14 » by Rollie » Wed Dec 6, 2017 1:23 pm

Donnyxc wrote:

If LiAngelo went to another school away from his dad I think he has a chance. That being said, I hope that opportunity wasn't taken from him for the business mistakes his father made.
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,148

Post#15 » by Diggr14 » Thu Dec 7, 2017 1:28 pm

LiAngelo probably has like a 5% or less chance at the NBA if he played 4 years in college. He’d have to prove it there, period. Seems like an entitled family though. He might just end up being a hanger on with one of his brother’s entourage’s someday. I think we can just start calling him Johnny Drama.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.

Return to Wiretap Discussion