ImageImageImageImageImage

Damyean Dotson

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,478

Re: Damyean Dotson 

Post#41 » by RHODEY » Wed Dec 6, 2017 5:27 am

Clyde_Style wrote:What are you guys talking about?

Dotson is muscular. He has a smaller waist and broad shoulders so he has a bit of a wedge type physique and is quite strong.

He is physically developed and not frail and will fill out a little bit more perhaps.

Yes he does have superior bodybuilding genetics, I predict a top 10 placing at the 2018 Mr, Olympia. :)
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#42 » by NYKAL » Wed Dec 6, 2017 1:01 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
Flaming Mo wrote:
Which minus the injuries could be a very valuable Player down the road... especially at a low cost...

Shumpert was an INCREDIBLE defender before he got hurt. Does anyone remember him in the playoffs before he got hurt? Him getting hurt, ended everything for us. He was so intense on defense. He totally took the pg out. After that injury, was just not the same. He had the long arms, but not the quick feet.

Remember Landry Fields? Same thing, it was an injury to his shooting elbow (I think). He played that good in college, he was a really nice player. He was playing great for us, then after that injury, he just died, was sad. I don't think he was playing above his head at all. He just suffered a weird injury.

Landry Fields crapped out because no more D'Antoni, who played a system that played to his strengths - uptempo and ball movement.

Landy messed around with his Jumper, ruined it instead of improving and was never able to put it back together.

As for Shump, just think about the Toronto game when "Calderon" was torching us the whole 1st half. Coach put Shump on him at end of the 2nd and he didn't score again. Dude was good year 1 and most of year 2.
blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Post#43 » by blanko » Wed Dec 6, 2017 1:57 pm

NYKAL wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
Shumpert was an INCREDIBLE defender before he got hurt. Does anyone remember him in the playoffs before he got hurt? Him getting hurt, ended everything for us. He was so intense on defense. He totally took the pg out. After that injury, was just not the same. He had the long arms, but not the quick feet.

Remember Landry Fields? Same thing, it was an injury to his shooting elbow (I think). He played that good in college, he was a really nice player. He was playing great for us, then after that injury, he just died, was sad. I don't think he was playing above his head at all. He just suffered a weird injury.

Landry Fields crapped out because no more D'Antoni, who played a system that played to his strengths - uptempo and ball movement.

Landy messed around with his Jumper, ruined it instead of improving and was never able to put it back together.

As for Shump, just think about the Toronto game when "Calderon" was torching us the whole 1st half. Coach put Shump on him at end of the 2nd and he didn't score again. Dude was good year 1 and most of year 2.

didn't he get injured also?
ellobo
Veteran
And1: 4,477

Post#44 » by ellobo » Wed Dec 6, 2017 3:25 pm

I've been impressed by Dotson's defense, and I like his shooting stroke and the lift he gets on his shot. He also seems like a good rebounder for a guard.

His handle is weak. He shrinks from pressure and can't go by anyone off the dribble. So he can only get shots off by spotting up or moving without the ball, and the Knicks don't seem to be particularly looking for him or running plays to free him. With his lack of handle, he is also not getting to the line or getting any shots at the rim, and not creating shots for others.

Opposing teams do seem to be showing him respect by sticking close to him on the perimeter. This spaces the floor, but largely takes Dotson out of the game and limits his shot attempts.
Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Yesterday I was lying; today I'm telling the truth.
RealGM
And1: 39,218

Post#45 » by 2010 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 5:48 pm

Dotson is muscular. He has a smaller waist and broad shoulders so he has a bit of a wedge type physique and is quite strong.

He is physically developed and not frail and will fill out a little bit more perhaps.

Exactly. Even Tim Hardaway Jr has been quoted saying how strong and tough Dotson is and how he doesn't take any crap from anyone.

“He's going to give you his all every single possession, strong, athletic, doesn't take anything from nobody…It's tough scoring against him."

https://dailyknicks.com/2017/10/12/new-york-knicks-tim-hardaway-jr-praises-damyean-dotson/

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
taj2133
General Manager
And1: 2,972

Post#46 » by taj2133 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 9:00 pm

Dotson career high in points 14 in limited action that's pretty impressive for him to do that and like how knicks are giving him a chance to start.
xNewYorkMadex
General Manager
And1: 5,758

Post#47 » by xNewYorkMadex » Wed Dec 6, 2017 9:59 pm

I say he needs to add more muscle because he easily got bullied on a couple drives by Elfrid Payton.

Payton completely threw him off balance for easy buckets. Im sure he is already strong, just needs to add more muscle to better handle those types of drives when guys are just gonna try to push him off and create some space.
Andrea Bargnani nYk 2013-2015
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,308

Post#48 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Dec 6, 2017 10:26 pm

xNewYorkMadex wrote:

I say he needs to add more muscle because he easily got bullied on a couple drives by Elfrid Payton.

Payton completely threw him off balance for easy buckets. Im sure he is already strong, just needs to add more muscle to better handle those types of drives when guys are just gonna try to push him off and create some space.

Probably was more timing and balance than a strength thing though. Look at Dotson the next time he comes out of the shower and you'll agree the man got muscles.
ImageImageImage
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,751

Post#49 » by Fat » Wed Dec 6, 2017 10:56 pm

he should be shooting better than he has but the defense been good
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Post#50 » by blanko » Thu Dec 7, 2017 5:46 am

Most second round picks don't even make the team. Good find.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#51 » by nykballa2k4 » Fri Dec 8, 2017 12:31 am

I don't think the Shump comparison is bad, but Iman had a ton more potential. Basically Dot is behind Iman at the same age, but since he hasn't developed Iman's bad habits, his ceiling is in tact. If he comes close to Tony Allen in terms of ability we should be VERY thankful.

Iman, for those who forget, was reminding people of Spree
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#52 » by br7knicks » Fri Dec 8, 2017 12:37 am

Best case, I see him like Tony allen. Wish knicks would get him to groom allen.

But that's best case. His defense is nasty
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
WajaBawl
Starter
And1: 2,250

Post#53 » by WajaBawl » Fri Dec 8, 2017 12:39 am

Dude is sittin around playing 2K right now won't even accept my invites smh
RealGM's Scandinavian Correspondent
CowboyBebop
Starter
And1: 2,134

Post#54 » by CowboyBebop » Fri Dec 8, 2017 12:51 am

Fat Kat wrote:He looks smallish. What would be everyone's guess on his actual size?

Well he’s tall and he’s got big feet and hands so I’d guess 9 inches from the base maybe? What makes you think he looks smallish? You can’t go by what you see on tv. It’s cold in those arenas. There’s shrinkage.
CowboyBebop wrote:Will Lebron be able to get warriors players suspended again so he has another chance to win this year? Or will he fail and get yet another loss on an already unimpressive finals record?
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,068

Post#55 » by GONYK » Fri Dec 8, 2017 12:57 am

br7knicks wrote:Best case, I see him like Tony allen. Wish knicks would get him to groom allen.

But that's best case. His defense is nasty

He's already a better shooter than Allen ever was
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#56 » by Thugger HBC » Fri Dec 8, 2017 1:00 am

Some of player development is at the feet of the player as well. Dotson getting time in the absence of Timmy is a huge opportunity for him to prove his game
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,313

Post#57 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Dec 8, 2017 1:17 am

CowboyBebop wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:He looks smallish. What would be everyone's guess on his actual size?

Well he’s tall and he’s got big feet and hands so I’d guess 9 inches from the base maybe? What makes you think he looks smallish? You can’t go by what you see on tv. It’s cold in those arenas. There’s shrinkage.

So he'll be a good 9&D player?
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer
And1: 943

Post#58 » by PeoplesChamp » Fri Dec 8, 2017 6:17 am

He's a kid with a great motor and some talent. He's going to be fun to watch develop if the Knicks are patient.

He has crowd favorite written all over him.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,313

Post#59 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Dec 8, 2017 11:06 am

I like that sometimes he can make jumpshots, which is unusual for a Knicks guard.

He actually tries on defense, which is also nice. Other than that, he's like one of a zillion hustling, athletic guards that kicks around the NBA. Since Knick fans aren't used to having players that totally suck on the bench, he seems good, when he's merely "ok".
Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,530

Post#60 » by Bill Pidto » Fri Dec 8, 2017 11:30 am

el13adnino wrote:shumpert 2.0

Dotson can shoot. Shumpert can't hit the side of a barn. I also think Dotson is already a better ball handler. I don't really see the comparison, aside from some similar physical attributes.

Return to New York Knicks