Game 23: Clippers (8-14) host Timberwolves (14-11) on 12/03 @ 10:30 PM ET

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Popovich
Pro Prospect
And1: 293

Re: Game 23: Clippers (8-14) host Timberwolves (14-11) on 12/03 @ 10:30 PM ET 

Post#21 » by Popovich » Thu Dec 7, 2017 6:29 am

esqtvd wrote:

Pretty good effort in the 2nd half tonight. Lou, Austin and DJ fine once again but unfortunately Gallo picked up where he left off [2-13, 1-5].

I had a feeling that it could be a close game, If Gallo just had made a couple of those 3's in the finish it would be much different. It is not like he just missed some shots but his stroke looked terrible. DJ gave everything he could, Austin was good but needs to be more confident in clutch times while Lou kept Clippers in the game on his own.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#22 » by QRich3 » Thu Dec 7, 2017 12:41 pm

Nice game, we managed to keep it competitive for most of it, and then we threw it away at the end, that's how you properly tank lol

Loved CJ's defensive activity, Jamil as usual, and loved Doc's decision to put Gallo guarding Towns so DJ could roam freely and help everyone around. It didn't work too well cause Gallo can't play any defense, but I liked the idea. Our offense dies when Lou is not in.

We are now 2 games away from a top 3 lottery seed, Mavs are gonna keep trying to win, as will the Grizzlies, and the Suns seem to keep games competitive lately too. Don't think we're ever gonna catch the Kings, Hawks and Bulls, and we'll jump at least a couple of teams more as we start getting healthier, but a top 5 pick is still possible. Unlikely but possible.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,158

Post#23 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Dec 7, 2017 10:41 pm

I think the Hawks could screw up their tank by winning some games. Budenholzer is a good coach. They've been competitive against some really good teams in their losses.
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Post#24 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Fri Dec 8, 2017 1:36 am

I think I turned the game off before we got more competitive. I was hoping that we would come back and win, I guess not. I was surprised that Gallo came back and he looked OK on offense. Hopefully he'll help us win some games as he gets some more playing time.
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#25 » by mkwest » Fri Dec 8, 2017 8:03 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,054

Post#26 » by og15 » Fri Dec 8, 2017 3:21 pm

I'm not sold on the tank succeeding. This team isn't trying to loose, it's just sucking. Clippers are about as bad on defense as Phoenix, which is sad, true, but they aren't trying to be, which does make it worse, lol.

Still, it's so early that a better performing Gallo will likely win some games, Milos back, then Griffin back later, it's going to be hard to actually tank unless this team actually truly sucks.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#27 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Dec 8, 2017 3:49 pm

og15 wrote:I'm not sold on the tank succeeding. This team isn't trying to loose, it's just sucking. Clippers are about as bad on defense as Phoenix, which is sad, true, but they aren't trying to be, which does make it worse, lol.

Still, it's so early that a better performing Gallo will likely win some games, Milos back, then Griffin back later, it's going to be hard to actually tank unless this team actually truly sucks.

If I looked at this right, we have the 7th worst record in the league. We're within punching distance of everybody except Chicago IMO. Our current roster is absolutely terrible and Danilo hasn't inspired much confidence, if any at all, this season.

I don't see us winning many games until Griffin gets back and by the time he gets back, what exactly would be the point of trying to win games? To compete our way back into treadmill status?
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,054

Re: RE: Re: Game 23: Clippers (8-14) host Timberwolves (14-11) on 12/03 @ 10:30 PM ET 

Post#28 » by og15 » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:03 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:
og15 wrote:I'm not sold on the tank succeeding. This team isn't trying to loose, it's just sucking. Clippers are about as bad on defense as Phoenix, which is sad, true, but they aren't trying to be, which does make it worse, lol.

If I looked at this right, we have the 7th worst record in the league. We're within punching distance of everybody except Chicago IMO. Our current roster is absolutely terrible and Danilo hasn't inspired much confidence, if any at all, this season.

I don't see us winning many games until Griffin gets back and by the time he gets back, what exactly would be the point of trying to win games? To compete our way back into treadmill status?

Well unless the team just sits players, if they are playing guys who are healthy, they will win games. Players don't really tank, they want to win, you tank by having a bad roster, so unless they just shut guys down, I don't know if it will work ideally, that is high lottery.

While you are correct about how close the team is to the bottom, there's still a lot of time to ruin it. Let's say Blake comes back in February, he'll miss 27 more games for a total of 30 games missed.

Let's say we go 8-19, a total of 8-22 in his missed games, that will put the team at 16-34 with 32 games left. If they don't shut all the good players down, well, they could go 16-16 in the final 32 games and that puts the team at 32-50 on the season.

Last season there were 7 teams worse than 32-50. So while that's not a bad spot in the lottery, it's not the greatest spot either.

Now, if Gallo and Milos start helping the team win games and they are more like 10-17 in these upcoming games, that makes it even worse.

So it depends on what the team does in terms of activating and shutting down players, etc

Return to Los Angeles Clippers