Bad Defense

Moderator: THE J0KER

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Bad Defense 

Post#1 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Dec 7, 2017 5:12 am

“My message is stop feeling sorry for yourself. Take pride in your defense. Because if you don’t, the same thing is going to keep happening,” Malone said. “I’m not going to play the same guys over and over when we give up every single night 110 (points), 120 (points), 55 (percent) from the field 50 (points) in the paint. It’s not in my nature. I’m not going to sit there and watch that much longer. I’ll tell you that much.”

I don't understand when he says "I'm not going to play the same guys over and over when we give up every single night 110". It "worked" for him for the last two years.

This year vs. last year:
11.1 vs 12.3 --- 2nd chance points are slightly lower
46.8 vs 47.4 --- points in the paint are slightly lower

Just two statistics, but ones that coaches and announcers talk about all the time and the Nuggets are doing better this year than last year. :dontknow:
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Re: Bad Defense 

Post#2 » by The Rebel » Thu Dec 7, 2017 12:07 pm

Just imagine if Wilson Chandler actually tried to play instead of trying to throw every game? Our defense might be respectable but we all know that Malone is talking about benching the young guys never the veterans.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Dec 7, 2017 1:58 pm

The Rebel wrote:Just imagine if Wilson Chandler actually tried to play instead of trying to throw every game? Our defense might be respectable but we all know that Malone is talking about benching the young guys never the veterans.

Yeah, Chandler used to be consider a top-notch defender. Now he plays the Gallinari-defense of spectating.

As for benching the young guys, that's his favorite past-time and has been since day 1 and I have griped about it far too much. I get it. Young guys need time to learn but you listen to former players on TV and they'll all say it takes game-time to really learn. Teams like San Antonio & Toronto and so many others teams that are playoff teams play rookies and develop them. Sometimes they even start them as rookies, if not, by their second year they are playing serious minutes. Tuesday night in the Toronto game, one of the players (players-only night) said Anunoby needs the minutes now in order to be ready for playoffs - and that's what Toronto is doing.

Malone was forced to starting playing Jokic but with an off-season to think about it, he's scaled back Jokic's offense.
Malone has been forced to play Murray, but until the last few games, he was giving Mudiay more minutes.
Malone still barely uses Hernangomez, who might be our best 3pt shooter.
He must have been ordered to use Mudiay when he was a rookie and the beginning of his second year.

:crazy: I'm trying to stay off the topic or everyone will think I'm a Hornets fan. :banghead:
Powder Blue
Analyst
And1: 642

Post#4 » by Powder Blue » Thu Dec 7, 2017 5:48 pm

I've been a Chandler guy for a while on here but it's difficult to defend him this season. That being said year in year out the narrative is the players aren't getting it done but they are assets so we need to keep them....but the guys that assemble and coach them gets a pass. D was a problem last year...so they gave one guy $60 million to try and fix it and kept all the other guys around...but that $60 mil guy got hurt and now they're back to square one.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,543

Post#5 » by Alatan » Thu Dec 7, 2017 7:18 pm

You need 3 out of 5 guys to be good defenders to have a good defense no matter who coaches them. We dont have those 3 good defenders. Murray, Mudiay, Barton, Hernangomez and Chandler are all bad defender so we cant have a good defense. In theory Millsap can cover for Jokic and Harris is not bad, so we are missing a good wing or PG defender.

PGs who are good at defense and offense are rare and usually star players. That means that we need to get a good wing defender to fix our issues. Since we also need shooters to spread the floor that wing must be a good shooter. So a 3nD guy in the mold of Cowington is what we need. The league knows how 3nD is valuable and everyone is looking for them.
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,178

Post#6 » by Mickey8 » Thu Dec 7, 2017 8:23 pm

Back to back 120 + points allowed two maybe the worst defensive performances of this season so far , so can we rest the case that Jokic is not the problem here :-? This team was lucky to pull out those two wins at home, they were close to lose it, I think after this road trip, Nuggets will have loosing record, Malone might be in trouble after all.
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#7 » by HoopsMalone » Thu Dec 7, 2017 9:09 pm

The Nuggets are an average defensive team who are missing two excellent defenders at pivotal defensive positions.

They simply do not have the personnel to compete defensively right now.

I'd say it's about 33% bad luck, 33% poor personnel decisions, and 33% poor player development. Scheme isn't going to fix what's wrong right now.

The concern is if Jokic takes awhile to heal and the Nuggets rip off like 10 straight losses this could be a lost season. I'd really be looking into acquiring a guy who can stop the bleeding for the next few weeks. Someone a team doesn't want to keep anyway, call up a G-leaguer, etc...
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Dec 7, 2017 9:37 pm

Mickey8 wrote:Back to back 120 + points allowed two maybe the worst defensive performances of this season so far , so can we rest the case that Jokic is not the problem here :-? This team was lucky to pull out those two wins at home, they were close to lose it, I think after this road trip, Nuggets will have loosing record, Malone might be in trouble after all.

Well, if we aren't going to play defense, maybe we should go back to our offense of last year.
Mickey8
Head Coach

Post#9 » by Mickey8 » Thu Dec 7, 2017 9:41 pm

Jokic is expected to play against Detroit and Boston, but even with him its hard to believe that they can win one of those two games. Nuggets best chance to win on this road trip is Orlando or Indiana, but the way they been playing lately nothing is sure thing , they might return back wining less .
Mickey8
Head Coach

Post#10 » by Mickey8 » Thu Dec 7, 2017 9:42 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
Mickey8 wrote:Back to back 120 + points allowed two maybe the worst defensive performances of this season so far , so can we rest the case that Jokic is not the problem here :-? This team was lucky to pull out those two wins at home, they were close to lose it, I think after this road trip, Nuggets will have loosing record, Malone might be in trouble after all.

Well, if we aren't going to play defense, maybe we should go back to our offense of last year.

I agree, at least its entertaining basketball, but I don't think Malone will go back to that offense.
Lala870
Starter
And1: 1,455

Post#11 » by Lala870 » Thu Dec 7, 2017 10:32 pm

Mickey8 wrote:Jokic is expected to play against Detroit and Boston, but even with him its hard to believe that they can win one of those two games. Nuggets best chance to win on this road trip is Orlando or Indiana, but the way they been playing lately nothing is sure thing , they might return back wining less .

knowing this team they will win handily versus Detroit and then proceed to get blown out at indiana by 30 while Olidipo sets career highs
Al Harrington is my inspiration for weed entrepreneurship!
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Dec 7, 2017 10:35 pm

Lala870 wrote:
Mickey8 wrote:Jokic is expected to play against Detroit and Boston, but even with him its hard to believe that they can win one of those two games. Nuggets best chance to win on this road trip is Orlando or Indiana, but the way they been playing lately nothing is sure thing , they might return back wining less .

knowing this team they will win handily versus Detroit and then proceed to get blown out at indiana by 30 while Olidipo sets career highs

:-? Somewhat optomistic :lol:
HoopsMalone
Veteran

Post#13 » by HoopsMalone » Fri Dec 8, 2017 8:15 pm

i'm glad to hear jokic is back but honestly id prob let him rest the det/bos games since i dont think he's enough to help us win those games with millsap out.

I mean if he's healthy i guess let him go but i always feel like teams rush guys back and then they end up getting hurt again or having to deal with nagging problems all year
Lala870
Starter
And1: 1,455

Post#14 » by Lala870 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:31 am

Lala870 wrote:

proceed to get blown out at indiana by 30 while Olidipo sets career highs

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#firemalone #fireconnely
Al Harrington is my inspiration for weed entrepreneurship!
HoopsMalone
Veteran

Post#15 » by HoopsMalone » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:55 am

Orlando is who we thought they were :lol:

This team needs Jokic back fully healthy in the worst way
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#16 » by skywalker33 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:38 pm

Lala870 wrote:
Lala870 wrote:

#firemalone #fireconnely

Have to concur about firing Malone, he just seems to be overpromising and underdelivering with a talented team. Supposed to be a defensive-minded coach and we really have seen that here (or anywhere IMO). Can't say I know who to try and replace him with, but he doesn't seem to be any type of elite coach at all.

As for TC, given his current position seems the only thing left is to fire the guy unless he'd take a demotion. The only plus he's shown he excels at is his drafting and that is really only 20-30% of the job, betting Arturas could easily take over that part of the job.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
Powder Blue
Analyst
And1: 642

Post#17 » by Powder Blue » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:29 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
Lala870 wrote:
Lala870 wrote:

#firemalone #fireconnely

Have to concur about firing Malone, he just seems to be overpromising and underdelivering with a talented team. Supposed to be a defensive-minded coach and we really have seen that here (or anywhere IMO). Can't say I know who to try and replace him with, but he doesn't seem to be any type of elite coach at all.

As for TC, given his current position seems the only thing left is to fire the guy unless he'd take a demotion. The only plus he's shown he excels at is his drafting and that is really only 20-30% of the job, betting Arturas could easily take over that part of the job.

TC got an extension and a title promotion to the "President of Basketball Operations"...very unlikely he's fired anytime soon.

Malone somehow still has the Nuggets over .500 and the injury excuse will give him a pass, there's also no one to hire mid-season. His option was picked up for 18-19 so he's probably got at least the rest of this season, maybe into next :banghead:
HoopsMalone
Veteran

Post#18 » by HoopsMalone » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:35 am

Kinda crazy how this team can alternate between giving up 125 points and 85 points from night to night. I can't recall seeing anything quite like it
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:23 pm

They call that "youth"
Mickey8
Head Coach

Post#20 » by Mickey8 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:38 pm

Powder Blue wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
Lala870 wrote:

#firemalone #fireconnely

TC got an extension and a title promotion to the "President of Basketball Operations"...very unlikely he's fired anytime soon.

Malone somehow still has the Nuggets over .500 and the injury excuse will give him a pass, there's also no one to hire mid-season. His option was picked up for 18-19 so he's probably got at least the rest of this season, maybe into next :banghead:

He's lucky that other teams in the Division are preforming badly right now.

Return to Denver Nuggets