What looked bleak now looks bright!

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,930

What looked bleak now looks bright! 

Post#1 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Dec 7, 2017 2:23 am

Six months ago things looked bleak for the Pacers. The had just seemed to panic and trade PG before midnight on June 30th. Everyone on the trade board was laughing at them for taking Victor and Domas for the PG.

Now it looks like we robbed them. Let's all say a big thank you to Pesti an the Thunder! 8-)
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Re: What looked bleak now looks bright! 

Post#2 » by Wizop » Thu Dec 7, 2017 2:55 am

DC and CoJo important additions too. oh, can't leave Bojan out.

DC has top assist turnover ratio. Bojan more than shooter.

I love saying Thunder subtracted by addition.

Sent from my SM-G935P using RealGM mobile app
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 824

Post#3 » by Pacersike » Thu Dec 7, 2017 3:31 am

Considering our big men of our future are only 21 years old and we have a much better closer now, we do seem to have a very bright future :)

Still going to be very difficult though to become a real contender with the pieces we have right now. Oladipo is using the same turnover machine PG has been using. Assists and turnovers are closer than I would like to see from our first option.

We are going to have to draft very smartly and hope we can sign some good new players and/or keep the good ones we have right now.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,930

Post#4 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Dec 7, 2017 4:50 am

Wizop wrote:DC and CoJo important additions too. oh, can't leave Bojan out.

Yeah the signings of DC and Bojan and the trade for Cory definitely added to the team's current success. What do they do with DC and Bojan next season as both have small guarantees? Cory Joseph will most likely become a UFA, do they resign him? I think he's good enough to be the starter he is only 26 so he fits well with Victor.

The young bigs are a lot to be happy about Sabonis and Turner should be a fixture for 10 or more years and TJ Leaf could develop into a solid contributor.
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#5 » by Vorda » Thu Dec 7, 2017 6:43 am

DC has top assist turnover ratio cause he has no assist... last game 2 assist...
Wizop
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: What looked bleak now looks bright! 

Post#6 » by Wizop » Thu Dec 7, 2017 11:56 am

Vorda wrote:DC has top assist turnover ratio cause he has no assist... last game 2 assist...

game before 10 points, 10 assists, 0 turnovers.

Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#7 » by Vorda » Thu Dec 7, 2017 1:26 pm

Wizop wrote:
Vorda wrote:DC has top assist turnover ratio cause he has no assist... last game 2 assist...

game before 10 points, 10 assists, 0 turnovers.

Against Knicks in +40 game? Are you serious? He is totally inconsistent, he has never been starting player and there is no reason to keep him next year... we need better player or try with CoJo as a starting guard...
Wizop
RealGM

Post#8 » by Wizop » Thu Dec 7, 2017 2:09 pm

Vorda wrote:Against Knicks in +40 game? Are you serious? He is totally inconsistent, he has never been starting player and there is no reason to keep him next year... we need better player or try with CoJo as a starting guard...

yes, he's had some games that were better than others. everyone has. last night they all stunk for most of the game. I'll throw out the Knicks stat. you throw out the Bulls stat. on average he's still leading the league in assists to turnovers.

he's scoring 12 a game with 3 rebounds, 6 assists, and 1.5 turnovers. we're plus when he's on the floor. we're minus when CoJo plays. he's not Kyrie Irving or John Wall but he's a solid veteran and a team leader., this isn't even a glass half empty or half full situation. it's much fuller than that. he's not an all star but he's playing better than most point guards and is giving us more than we got from Teague last year. yes, we'll eventually have a younger point guard but DC is not holding us back this year.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#9 » by Pacers_Freak » Thu Dec 7, 2017 2:20 pm

Vorda wrote:

DC has top assist turnover ratio cause he has no assist... last game 2 assist...

I don't think you understand how assist to turnover ratio works my friend. The less assists you have.... the worse your ratio would be. Think about it.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,266

Post#10 » by Nuntius » Thu Dec 7, 2017 3:07 pm

It never looked that bleak, imo. The trade return was as good as we could get given the circumstances.

Plus, we now have Kevin Pritchard instead of Larry Bird. That is enough reason for me to be happy :D
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,272

Post#11 » by boomershadow » Thu Dec 7, 2017 3:26 pm

I never thought it looked as bleak as many of the knee jerk reactions after the PG trade thought we were gonna be. I have never been at all into sports betting but when the Vegas Over/Under for the Pacers got released I about went ahead and got into it. It seemed obvious we were gonna win 32 games or more. I wish I had now, kinda.

What I didn't know then is how fun we would be to watch.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#12 » by Pacers_Freak » Thu Dec 7, 2017 3:32 pm

boomershadow wrote:I never thought it looked as bleak as many of the knee jerk reactions after the PG trade thought we were gonna be. I have never been at all into sports betting but when the Vegas Over/Under for the Pacers got released I about went ahead and got into it. It seemed obvious we were gonna win 32 games or more. I wish I had now, kinda.

Lol I got burned bad on our o/u wins last year. :banghead:
pizza guy
Sophomore
And1: 105

Post#13 » by pizza guy » Thu Dec 7, 2017 6:15 pm

boomershadow wrote:I never thought it looked as bleak as many of the knee jerk reactions after the PG trade thought we were gonna be. I have never been at all into sports betting but when the Vegas Over/Under for the Pacers got released I about went ahead and got into it. It seemed obvious we were gonna win 32 games or more. I wish I had now, kinda.

I thought 32 seemed pretty low, too, but I wouldn't have thought .500 was in the cards this year. I'm a big Myles Turner fan, and I thought Oladipo and Sabonis would be alright. But DC, CoJo, Bojan, and even Thad were just guys that'd fill in. Turns out every one of those SIX players has been playing well above expectations. On top of that, Lance is giving us more good than bad. TJ Leaf, who was literally the last guy I wanted to draft, looks like he might be worth something. And here we are 3 games above .500 and a half-game from 4th in the East.

I don't expect us to finish 4th or 5th, but I do think it's actually possible now. And even more than that, the next couple years look incredibly bright! Oladipo has blossomed here and wants to stay. Turner and Sabonis are still on cheap contracts. And we're going to have one of the best salary cap situations in the NBA. Keep up the fight, make the playoffs, show promise, draft well, and use that cap space (for free agents or trades) to take the next step.
P I Love
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#14 » by P I Love » Thu Dec 7, 2017 6:40 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:

Lol I got burned bad on our o/u wins last year. :banghead:

Yea, I got burned too last year. That team was only 3 games off the # too. Had they actually tried and Thad didnt get hurt they would have gotten it. This year I knew it was the lock of all locks. I said it several times, there was no OU in the NBA as off as Indiana's. I said it should have been 38.5. The year PG broke his leg and G3 missed all those games we won 38 games...and that roster was trash compared to this year's. They weren't ever going to tank. I also put $ on Pacers to make the playoffs at +400. Stupid value. More botched odds on the Pacers. I knew the East was wide open from #5-8 and we had as good of a shot as anyone like Charlotte, Miami, Philly, Detroit, Orlando, Milwaukee, etc. 70% of the money was on the Pacers Under 31.5 wins....I could have made that 99% had Vegas called and asked where to set the #. 38.5 wins and everyone would have taken the under.

GoP
Wizop
RealGM

Post#15 » by Wizop » Thu Dec 7, 2017 7:38 pm

P I Love wrote:This year I knew it was the lock of all locks. I said it several times, there was no OU in the NBA as off as Indiana's.

sounds like you gamble enough to understand but Vegas lines are not a projection of the result. they are a projection of how people will bet. a bookie doesn't want to care about the results. if the same number of people bet on each side of the proposition, the bookie makes money based on the vigorish (losers pay 11, winners get 10). the line is right when the book is balanced.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#16 » by Wizop » Thu Dec 7, 2017 7:46 pm

Nuntius wrote:It never looked that bleak, imo. The trade return was as good as we could get given the circumstances.

but now it looks good regardless of the circumstances. not many Pacer fans thought we'd be better without PG (my son did) but even fewer would want him back now. perhaps, it never looked bleak but expectations were low and most saw this as a rebuilding year. I did think expectations were too low (when people were predicting season wins, I said I'd go 1 higher than the next highest guess) but I didn't think the team would be this fun to watch.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Nuntius » Thu Dec 7, 2017 7:58 pm

Wizop wrote:
Nuntius wrote:It never looked that bleak, imo. The trade return was as good as we could get given the circumstances.

but now it looks good regardless of the circumstances. not many Pacer fans thought we'd be better without PG (my son did) but even fewer would want him back now. perhaps, it never looked bleak but expectations were low and most saw this as a rebuilding year. I did think expectations were too low (when people were predicting season wins, I said I'd go 1 higher than the next highest guess) but I didn't think the team would be this fun to watch.

It is a rebuilding year regardless of our record. Making the playoffs doesn't take anything away from that :wink:

But I do agree that the team has exceeded our expectations so far. I'm a very happy camper :D
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Wizop
RealGM

Post#18 » by Wizop » Thu Dec 7, 2017 8:15 pm

Nuntius wrote:It is a rebuilding year regardless of our record. Making the playoffs doesn't take anything away from that :wink:

true. I originally though our best case was a fight for 7-12. now 5 is in sight. pretty good for a rebuilding year.

yes, I know we're only a half game out of 4th but I've learned to look at the home versus road records. Detroit has played a bunch of road games and so I expect them to pull away from us as the schedule evens out for them. conversely, the Knicks have played a bunch of home games and so I expect them to fall as they go on the road. December will tell a lot about us as we have a lot of home games but many are against good teams starting with the Cavs tomorrow.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Nuntius » Thu Dec 7, 2017 8:39 pm

Wizop wrote:
Nuntius wrote:It is a rebuilding year regardless of our record. Making the playoffs doesn't take anything away from that :wink:

true. I originally though our best case was a fight for 7-12. now 5 is in sight. pretty good for a rebuilding year.

yes, I know we're only a half game out of 4th but I've learned to look at the home versus road records. Detroit has played a bunch of road games and so I expect them to pull away from us as the schedule evens out for them. conversely, the Knicks have played a bunch of home games and so I expect them to fall as they go on the road. December will tell a lot about us as we have a lot of home games but many are against good teams starting with the Cavs tomorrow.

Agreed. We have a pretty important stretch coming up. If we manage to split the next 4 games we're going to be in good shape.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#20 » by pacers33granger » Thu Dec 7, 2017 10:55 pm

Wizop wrote:not many Pacer fans thought we'd be better without PG (my son did) but even fewer would want him back now.

The recent past and his sometimes crap attitude aside, he'd be the perfect free agent from an on-court fit standpoint.

Return to Indiana Pacers