Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Mohamed Bamba 

Post#1 » by King Ken » Sat Dec 9, 2017 3:57 am

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/mohamed-bamba

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/21265292/nba-draft-rankings-10-best-ncaa-center-prospects-2018 - ESPN Insider

https://www.thestepien.com/mohamed-bamba/

Mo Bamba:

Ken's Profile: 6'11 with a 7'9 wingspan. Bamba is an excellent functional athlete who uses his length well in the open court. One of the least skilled of the top tier prospects. He mainly plays off of instincts, BBIQ, his tools, hands, and his functional athleticism. Bamba is known to have one of the highest upsides in this class. Any team who drafts him has to realize that he can develop into a good NBA offensive player and potentially a gamechanger defensively. There really is not a good comparison for him as he's NBA ready to a degree where he's not going to be a G-League but he's not a day 1 starter either at this stage. Development will be key in many ways with him but Bamba is an excellent fit in a movement based system. In a system where the ball doesn't move and he doesn't get touches could hinder his offensive development into a high post screener and a garbage man with the occasional PnP game when he develops a consistent jumper with range. His functional athletic ability must be used. That's where his upside is the highest.

Best POSSIBLE Fits: Atlanta, Boston, New York
Worst POSSIBLE Fits: LAC, Sacremento, Charlotte, Cleveland

Discuss?
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Re: Mohamed Bamba 

Post#2 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sat Dec 9, 2017 6:05 am

One of those types that you won't know for a couple of years, I find it hard to tell if he's going to be Biyombo or Gobert.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#3 » by King Ken » Sat Dec 9, 2017 6:22 am

Mulhollanddrive wrote:One of those types that you won't know for a couple of years, could be a bigger Biyombo or a better Gobert.

He's far more talented than Biyombo or Gobert. Neither of them had much offensive talent as prospects. Bamba does. Bamba is just unpolished. Like he has touch, positioning, and footwork, but his post awareness, strength and post skill is weak. He has a smooth form and footwork on his shot, but his jumper feels rushed and he doesn't always have the most confidence in it. He's a good weak side defender when rotation but when attacked, can be all over the place. Good man perimeter defender but a poor interior defender. Good passing vision but not always accurate. Good feel for the game off of the ball but below average feel on the ball.

Bamba is just raw. He's not G-League or 12th man raw but he's developmental raw. That said, he's superior as a prospect offensively to Biyombo and Gobert. Defensively, I don't see the similarities as much as you guys do. Biyombo left Europe a + defender. His strength, interior, weak side, and agility was top notch for a center prospect for any draft class. His PnR defense needed to improve, which it did the minute he was taught it. Gobert is a special case of potential. He wasn't even that good on defense in Cholet. He was just getting by off of agility, length, defensive explosiveness but he wasn't even that athletic and many scouts felt Bebe N was a better prospect. He came into the NBA very raw. He went to the D-League and showed flashes of what he could become defensively. His improvement year after year has been amazing. He wasn't even that good in Europe. In fact, his stats were plateauing but you can't deny work ethic and Gobert athleticism was better than presumed.

Bamba is not anywhere near as good as a defensive player as Biyombo as a prospect. He's clearly better in everything over Gobert as a prospect. Bamba is different. I don't have a comparison for him because defensively, he's not good right now but his potential is off the charts. Offensively, I like him more than others. I see his offense translating and a great coaching staff and have him being more effective in three months than Shaka could regardless of how good of a coach he is due to this being the NBA, it's an open game, and Bamba has a more diverse role in the NBA than he ever could for any college team.
blazeyo
Sixth Man
And1: 1,864

Post#4 » by blazeyo » Sat Dec 9, 2017 4:37 pm

Why is he a bad fit in Cleveland?
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#5 » by No-Man » Sat Dec 9, 2017 6:11 pm

blazeyo wrote:Why is he a bad fit in Cleveland?

he is a 0 offensively and the Cavs want spacing from their bigs, he is also **** green on D, he would get smoked by most PO teams on a regular basis even if he can get a block here and there.
blazeyo
Sixth Man
And1: 1,864

Post#6 » by blazeyo » Sat Dec 9, 2017 6:20 pm

Fischella wrote:

he is a 0 offensively and the Cavs want spacing from their bigs, he is also **** green on D, he would get smoked by most PO teams on a regular basis even if he can get a block here and there.

BS. Cavs optimally want spacing from both of their bigs, but that's a new thing. They only needed spacing at the 4, but were more than fine with TT at the 5 and he provides even less spacing than Bamba.

Cavs have two of the best iso scorers in the league and have plenty of shooters to make Bambas lack of offense an afterthought. What Cavs do need is a big such as Bamba to fix their abysmal D once and for all. He would be big factor on the interior and on the perimeter from the first minute.

Cavs are the best destination for a big like Bamba that doesn't need the ball in his hands to be a factor for a team that lacks a playable big over 6'10. Sure, he isn't the most explosive in the PnR, but he would still be their best target inside regardless.

Celtics on the other hand is a far worse destination for Bamba as they truly rely on spacing and already have elite defense without a true rim protector.

You are truly underselling Bambas D. blocked shots isn't what makes him an effective defender.

I don't think the Cavs are the best destination FOR Bamba as far as development goes, but Bamba is exactly what the Cavs need. Him, Jaren Jackson JR and Mikal Bridges.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,543

Post#7 » by Alatan » Sat Dec 9, 2017 6:49 pm

Just dropping by to say Bamba is the best prospect in this draft. And the guy saying that Bamba is green on D (compared to his age) knows nothing about defense.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#8 » by No-Man » Sat Dec 9, 2017 8:06 pm

Alatan wrote:Just dropping by to say Bamba is the best prospect in this draft. And the guy saying that Bamba is green on D (compared to his age) knows nothing about defense.

Eeeeh, he is raw on D, I know what you mean he has flashes of great recognition and stuff and I guess that's where you are coming from, but at other times he does mind blowing things, it's just inconsistent, he likely gets there but he floats around so often also, I am just wary.
Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by Alatan » Sat Dec 9, 2017 8:18 pm

Fischella wrote:
Alatan wrote:Just dropping by to say Bamba is the best prospect in this draft. And the guy saying that Bamba is green on D (compared to his age) knows nothing about defense.

Eeeeh, he is raw on D, I know what you mean he has flashes of great recognition and stuff and I guess that's where you are coming from, but at other times he does mind blowing things, it's just inconsistent, he likely gets there but he floats around so often also, I am just wary.

Bamba is a great rim protector, help defender, solid PnR defender, not strong enough for post defense but makes up for it with length. Moves his feet good. Can stay in front of smaller players for a while and is good at positioning himself in the lane and moving around in response to player movement and ball movement. Good awareness and timing on D. He does overplay post entry passes at times but usually doesnt gamble. Doesnt bite on fakes, stays on the ground, keeps his hands up. That is some advanced stuff for his age. He is not just a big guy with incredible length and good athleticism.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#10 » by No-Man » Sat Dec 9, 2017 8:31 pm

He is okay, like you said has some technique in some areas, but if you want to know what I am talking about compare his understanding and reaction to things+consistency on defense with Jaren Jackson Jr.

That's what been advanced is, Bamba is not like Bagley or Ayton, who are just non-factors, but he is still raw, which is just normal.
Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by Alatan » Sat Dec 9, 2017 9:38 pm

Fischella wrote:He is okay, like you said has some technique in some areas, but if you want to know what I am talking about compare his understanding and reaction to things+consistency on defense with Jaren Jackson Jr.

That's what been advanced is, Bamba is not like Bagley or Ayton, who are just non-factors, but he is still raw, which is just normal.

JJJ is very good too but i dont see how he is better than Bamba. He also has good awareness, positioning and reaction on D. Good athlete, moves his feet well, good size and length but not as good length as Bamba.

I dont think JJJ has an advantage over Bamba in awareness fundamentals, IQ or skill on D. What i noticed is that he has a better body control while he is in air and is ambidextrous when contesting shots. Bamba tends to favor his right hand to contest and that gets him in some bad situations like when he fouled out in the Duke game. He is stronger as well and that gives him an advantage in post defense.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#12 » by CP War Hawks » Sat Dec 9, 2017 10:07 pm

MB needs to add post strength on both ends in the worst way. Players will jump into his space everytime once they figure fading away works into his favor. He's seem articulate and a student of the game. That alone separates him from most prospects.

Not many teams in the top 7 of the lotto is going to be a good fit for him. Atl and Dal are the ideal landing spots. The Hawks seem to get the most out of every player, free agent or draftee. The Mavs have a championship history with Tyson Chandler, who Bamba favors somewhat.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#13 » by King Ken » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:11 am

He will be pigeonholed. He needs to be in a ball movement based system.

CP War Hawks wrote:MB needs to add post strength on both ends in the worst way. Players will jump into his space everytime once they figure fading away works into his favor. He's seem articulate and a student of the game. That alone separates him from most prospects.

Not many teams in the top 7 of the lotto is going to be a good fit for him. Atl and Dal are the ideal landing spots. The Hawks seem to get the most out of every player, free agent or draftee. The Mavs have a championship history with Tyson Chandler, who Bamba favors somewhat.

Out of all of the prospects, he's the most likely in the top 8 to be Johnathan Issac. A player who will wow you in SL and in preseason but you know needs more development. Strength development is one. I do think he could play more minutes than Issac depending on the team.

Alatan wrote:
Fischella wrote:He is okay, like you said has some technique in some areas, but if you want to know what I am talking about compare his understanding and reaction to things+consistency on defense with Jaren Jackson Jr.

JJJ is very good too but i dont see how he is better than Bamba. He also has good awareness, positioning and reaction on D. Good athlete, moves his feet well, good size and length but not as good length as Bamba.

I dont think JJJ has an advantage over Bamba in awareness fundamentals, IQ or skill on D. What i noticed is that he has a better body control while he is in air and is ambidextrous when contesting shots. Bamba tends to favor his right hand to contest and that gets him in some bad situations like when he fouled out in the Duke game. He is stronger as well and that gives him an advantage in post defense.

JJJ might not have a higher feel for the game IQ than Bamba but he clearly has a better BBIQ on defense. That's not knock on Bamba. JJJ is one of the best defensive players we have seen enter the draft, especially the best as a freshman.

I think Jaren's awareness is higher on both sides of the court but I don't think he's Bamba in terms of responsibility handling either. I think Bamba will be able to handle more on both sides of the court but Jackson Jr is a player that coaches will love. He will handle his gifting role well and will make a lot of money in this league. Bamba just can handle more responsibility. He's just raw right now.

Agreed.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#14 » by King Ken » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:19 pm

Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#15 » by Upperclass » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:14 am

He's Desagna Diop. Dude has terrible basketball ability and no will. Wouldnt draft him in either round with better talent on the board.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM

Post#16 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:18 am

Just watching the box score v Kansas, looking forward to see how he's scoring his points.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#17 » by doordoor123 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:14 am

Mulhollanddrive wrote:Just watching the box score v Kansas, looking forward to see how he's scoring his points.

This game made me comfortable keeping him as a high pick. A quick pace team and against a heavier center, it wasn’t a game to his advantage and he performed really well.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM

Post#18 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:05 am

His main offense looks to be lobs and offensive rebounds which he created by excellent positioning.

At NBA level he should be able to get to 10 points on lobs / put backs / free throws alone.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#19 » by clyde21 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:42 am

STUD. He has perennial DPOY potential. More advanced offensively than Gobert was at the same age, but he's never going to be a great scorer.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#20 » by doordoor123 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:54 pm

clyde21 wrote:STUD. He has perennial DPOY potential. More advanced offensively than Gobert was at the same age, but he's never going to be a great scorer.

Well he’s 19. I wouldn’t be surprised if he is able to learn basketball when it’s his career.

Return to NBA Draft