Collin Sexton

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,912

Re: Collin Sexton 

Post#21 » by Mulhollanddrive » Mon Dec 4, 2017 10:06 am

3 of his past 4 games he's shot 9 of 34 so when it's not working I'm not sure how he improves it, he's not elite at shooting, quickness or IQ.

That's why I ask about the Bledsoe comparison because Sexton will need to use his physical strength to bully inside the paint at an elite level as he doesn't seem to have other difference makers.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,080

Post#22 » by The-Power » Mon Dec 4, 2017 4:19 pm

Fair to say that Sexton has come down to earth after his great start. The way he plays suggests that he's always going to be a player who will look great on one night and mediocre the next, the epitome of inconsistency on offense. Any given night can shoot extremely well, dominante in the paint or find his teammates for good shots, but he cannot really rely on any of that since he's not elite at anything and therefore I expect him to have severe ups and downs long into his career.

He should be a good player to have on your team if he buys into the system and doesn't demand to be the main guy on offense, but I don't consider him a future building block yet. He will have to work his way up in the NBA hierarchy. Should be a lottery pick but there are at least 8 guys I'd draft before him at this point and a couple more have good arguments so that he'd currently rank in the 11-14 range on my big board.
blazeyo
Sixth Man
And1: 1,864

Post#23 » by blazeyo » Mon Dec 4, 2017 4:29 pm

Reminds me of Stanley Johnson if he were a pg
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant
And1: 279

Post#24 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Mon Dec 4, 2017 8:47 pm

How much should I be worried about his jump shot?
Jerry Sloan >>>>>>>> Everything else.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#25 » by No-Man » Mon Dec 4, 2017 9:03 pm

UTJazzFan_Echo1 wrote:How much should I be worried about his jump shot?

A bit, it's def a work in progress, I think he can be an okay shooter but he is not going to be a mid-range wizard or a guy that plays off-ball and hunts shots on the move.

The shot is gonna make or break his ceiling and that's the scary part, I really like the rest of his game.
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant
And1: 279

Post#26 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Mon Dec 4, 2017 9:11 pm

Fischella wrote:

A bit, it's def a work in progress, I think he can be an okay shooter but he is not going to be a mid-range wizard or a guy that plays off-ball and hunts shots on the move.

The shot is gonna make or break his ceiling and that's the scary part, I really like the rest of his game.

Ya, I just get the same feeling I had about Lonzo. There's so much there to like, but if the shot doesn't work, it's essentially a game breaker. Just like Lonzo, I don't think those mechanics can/will translate to the NBA.
Jerry Sloan >>>>>>>> Everything else.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,534

Post#27 » by Alatan » Wed Dec 6, 2017 5:59 pm

UTJazzFan_Echo1 wrote:
Fischella wrote:

Ya, I just get the same feeling I had about Lonzo. There's so much there to like, but if the shot doesn't work, it's essentially a game breaker. Just like Lonzo, I don't think those mechanics can/will translate to the NBA.

His shot is not nearly as broken as Lonzo's is but it does look like it should be improved. I think that he needs to extend his shooting motion and release it higher. If he doesnt change his shot he wont have NBA range or a consistent jumper.
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#28 » by Justwar » Wed Dec 6, 2017 8:52 pm

Release and the speed of it are more important than accuracy at first. Slow shooters cannot be effective today
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#29 » by doordoor123 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 8:57 pm

Alatan wrote:
UTJazzFan_Echo1 wrote:
Fischella wrote:A bit, it's def a work in progress, I think he can be an okay shooter but he is not going to be a mid-range wizard or a guy that plays off-ball and hunts shots on the move.

His shot is not nearly as broken as Lonzo's is but it does look like it should be improved. I think that he needs to extend his shooting motion and release it higher. If he doesnt change his shot he wont have NBA range or a consistent jumper.

If he can get hot with Mid-range shots I’m not worried at all. Those are the hardest to get off and the hardest to be consistent. Hes shown he can do it.
Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#30 » by Alatan » Wed Dec 6, 2017 9:53 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
Alatan wrote:
UTJazzFan_Echo1 wrote:Ya, I just get the same feeling I had about Lonzo. There's so much there to like, but if the shot doesn't work, it's essentially a game breaker. Just like Lonzo, I don't think those mechanics can/will translate to the NBA.

If he can get hot with Mid-range shots I’m not worried at all. Those are the hardest to get off and the hardest to be consistent. Hes shown he can do it.

The problem with having a limited arsenal of shots is that defences can focus more on the things you can do and limit your game. Having a 3 point range is very valuable at the guard position since it creates space for the guard as well as for the team. If your team doesnt have enough 3 point shooters the defences contract and clog the paint and make help defense easier. A point guard without a 3 pointer is especially easier to stop because by going under you not only slow down the guard but also slow the big rolling.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by doordoor123 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 9:55 pm

Alatan wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
Alatan wrote:

The problem with having a limited arsenal of shots is that defences can focus more on the things you can do and limit your game. Having a 3 point range is very valuable at the guard position since it creates space for the guard as well as for the team. If your team doesnt have enough 3 point shooters the defences contract and clog the paint and make help defense easier. A point guard without a 3 pointer is especially easier to stop because by going under you not only slow down the guard but also slow the big rolling.

What I mean is that if he can get hot from anywhere, his shot isn’t too broken. Mid-range is indication of overall shot.
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#32 » by Justwar » Wed Dec 6, 2017 10:00 pm

That's probably why fox can eventually get a 3pt shot because first it looks good but secondly he shoots middies solidly. Guys like sexton are used to just taking drives on poor athletes, now he's developing some of his other game

Sent from my SM-G900V using RealGM mobile app
Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#33 » by Alatan » Wed Dec 6, 2017 10:08 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
Alatan wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

What I mean is that if he can get hot from anywhere, his shot isn’t too broken. Mid-range is indication of overall shot.

I dont know about mid range but free throws are the best indication of an overall shot. But they are also just an indication and good free throw shooters with bad form can shoot terribly from the field like Rubio does. Getting hot is also not a good thing if a player also goes cold. Consistency is a must for any good shooter otherwise he can shoot you out of games.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by doordoor123 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 10:37 pm

Alatan wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
Alatan wrote:

I dont know about mid range but free throws are the best indication of an overall shot. But they are also just an indication and good free throw shooters with bad form can shoot terribly from the field like Rubio does. Getting hot is also not a good thing if a player also goes cold. Consistency is a must for any good shooter otherwise he can shoot you out of games.

The reason why it’s important when players have big games is because if they can do it once, the potential is there to do it consistently. If a player can make bad shots consistently, the potential is there to correct it.
Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#35 » by Alatan » Wed Dec 6, 2017 10:43 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
Alatan wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

The reason why it’s important when players have big games is because if they can do it once, the potential is there to do it consistently. If a player can make bad shots consistently, the potential is there to correct it.

Bottom line is, I think that Sexton has attributes of a good PG but his shot needs work.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#36 » by King Ken » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:04 am

He's as good as Lonzo and Fultz were last year.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,912

Post#37 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:09 am

He knows how to get to the foul line.

But I'm not sure what else he's great at.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#38 » by King Ken » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:17 am

Mulhollanddrive wrote:He knows how to get to the foul line.

But I'm not sure what else he's great at.

Getting to any spot he wants on the court, intensity, finishing in the open court, being extremely athletic, being a tough minded player who understands when to shoot and when to pass. He's not an undersized PG.
Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#39 » by Alatan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:23 pm

So what are your takes on Sexton? He seems to have fallen quite a bit. I think he could be really good if he develops a better shot. Dont know will he ever be able to be a PG but he could get you buckets as a SG next to a role player PG.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#40 » by GimmeDat » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:58 pm

Alatan wrote:So what are your takes on Sexton? He seems to have fallen quite a bit. I think he could be really good if he develops a better shot. Dont know will he ever be able to be a PG but he could get you buckets as a SG next to a role player PG.

I'm honestly not that keen on him. I have him as sort of a late lottery guy, but because he's the only lottery PG outside of Young perhaps he goes higher. Just don't like his 'floor general' game more than anything. Should be a great attacker and a tenacious defender but I think we're looking at a deep lottery and he's got too many flaws for such a pivotal position to be going too high.

Return to NBA Draft