Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Bruce Brown 

Post#1 » by HeadtopChunes » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:36 am

Dont see much talk about him.

Is Bruce a top 5 guard in this class? I see a ton of variance with where he's mocked at right now. From late-lottery to the second round.

Whats his best player comparison? Whats his ceiling?

From what I've seen he has focused on being a lot more versatile this year. Playmaking, hitting spot-up 3s and playing good D.
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Re: Bruce Brown 

Post#2 » by jonjames » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:13 am

Im not sure if he will be a pg or a combo guard at next level.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#3 » by No-Man » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:59 am

To me his role is more as a 2ndary handler, he has more on-ball game and is a worse shooter but his body type and strong defense reminds me of Wes Matthews.
I don't think he can be a full-time PG, I really like him though, funnily enough he might with Westbrook was thought off when he left UCLA if that makes sense.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#4 » by Ruzious » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:23 pm

If people remember back to Kobe Bryant's first few years in the NBA, it was obvious he was trying to copy Michael Jordan - he even talked like him - before he became himself. This seems to be what Brown is doing with Westbrook - he even uses the same mannerisms. And he might be a freak enough athlete to pull it off - great strength and explosion. Phenominal rebounder for a guard. He's making 3's now, but is he going to keep that up? Probably not - needs to improve his FT shooting, and hasn't gotten to the line as much as he should. Draftexpress.com has him going 22nd; I'd be shocked if he doesn't go top 15.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#5 » by jonjames » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:10 pm

Ruzious wrote:If people remember back to Kobe Bryant's first few years in the NBA, it was obvious he was trying to copy Michael Jordan - he even talked like him - before he became himself. This seems to be what Brown is doing with Westbrook - he even uses the same mannerisms. And he might be a freak enough athlete to pull it off - great strength and explosion. Phenominal rebounder for a guard. He's making 3's now, but is he going to keep that up? Probably not - needs to improve his FT shooting, and hasn't gotten to the line as much as he should. Draftexpress.com has him going 22nd; I'd be shocked if he doesn't go top 15.

I was thinking the same thing. His movement on the court eerily resembles westbrook. I think he could go definitely go top 15 depending how he measures out/performs during combine.
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,510

Post#6 » by Kalela » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:00 am

Fischella wrote:his body type and strong defense reminds me of Wes Matthews.

The resemblance of their game is uncanny, man.
Fire Mazzulla
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#7 » by doordoor123 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:57 am

Kalela wrote:
Fischella wrote:his body type and strong defense reminds me of Wes Matthews.

The resemblance of their game is uncanny, man.

Matthews was never that explosive or athletic.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#8 » by GimmeDat » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:49 am

Don't see the resemblance to Matthews. Westbrook you can definitely draw parallels to.. but of course for as athletic as Brown is, Westbrook is a unique uber-athlete even for NBA standards, and his development into a PG is one that not many would make.

My conservative feeling is that Brown is a nice 3rd guard that has a solid 2 way game, but his hybrid nature hurts his ability to really carve himself as a legit starter at either position. However, he really wins the eye test, he looks like a smooth, natural player with a lot of potential to me, especially if he can develop in to an actual PG at the next level.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by doordoor123 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:00 am

GimmeDat wrote:Don't see the resemblance to Matthews. Westbrook you can definitely draw parallels to.. but of course for as athletic as Brown is, Westbrook is a unique uber-athlete even for NBA standards, and his development into a PG is one that not many would make.

My conservative feeling is that Brown is a nice 3rd guard that has a solid 2 way game, but his hybrid nature hurts his ability to really carve himself as a legit starter at either position. However, he really wins the eye test, he looks like a smooth, natural player with a lot of potential to me, especially if he can develop in to an actual PG at the next level.

Yeah, if he can improve his point guard skills he can be really good. But I also wonder if the space in the NBA will help his game. If I’m a rebuilding team and I’m not confident in a point guard I want him on my team. Worst case you get a good defending back up. Best case you have a starter. As of now I think he has a higher upside than anyone beyond Sexton at PG because he has such physical ability and is a two-way player. I have him ahead of Duval and Young right now.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,252

Post#10 » by PhilBlackson » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:01 am

He reminded me more of Bledsoe.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#11 » by JamesConway » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:07 am

GimmeDat wrote:Don't see the resemblance to Matthews. Westbrook you can definitely draw parallels to.. but of course for as athletic as Brown is, Westbrook is a unique uber-athlete even for NBA standards, and his development into a PG is one that not many would make.

The way he dribbles the ball looks like Wes. Higher than you want, a bit stiff/weird looking when changing directios, but unlike Matthews the athleticism kicks in at some point. The first step is really good which helps him a ton in the PnR and the leaping ability is amazing.

I like Brown a lot. Not sure how much upside there is and the lack of off-the-dribble-shooting scares me but I'd love to see him in DAL alongside Smith as a secondary playmaker.
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#12 » by JamesConway » Fri Feb 2, 2018 9:53 am

Read on Twitter
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,087

Post#13 » by The-Power » Fri Feb 2, 2018 10:49 am

Bad news for him. He's already having a rough season and this won't help his stock.

I've never been particularly high on players with his profile relative to the average (hobby) scout, but I know that a lot of you guys really like him as a prospect. If you see a high ceiling with him, I guess he can be one of the picks where people in a couple years asked how the hell he could drop this far. If he declares that is. I don't see it yet but I could be wrong of course.

Where would you draft him as of now?
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by doordoor123 » Fri Feb 2, 2018 7:34 pm

The-Power wrote:Bad news for him. He's already having a rough season and this won't help his stock.

I've never been particularly high on players with his profile relative to the average (hobby) scout, but I know that a lot of you guys really like him as a prospect. If you see a high ceiling with him, I guess he can be one of the picks where people in a couple years asked how the hell he could drop this far. If he declares that is. I don't see it yet but I could be wrong of course.

Where would you draft him as of now?

I’m pretty low on him. Particularly because his shot hasn’t improved this year, he’s not a good free throw shooter either. He’s not a great passer, etc. I see him has a roleplaying defender at the next level. If he learns to shoot he can be a bit more valuable, but I have zero faith that his shot is going to go from as bad as it is to much better. I also don’t think he’s as fluid as advertised, he doesn’t really get down low enough for me. To me he’s a late first/early second.

I’m getting a lot lower on guys who can’t shoot and make free throws unless they have something special about their game. Duval has his passing and his physical ability and Hamidou Diallo is an athletic freak. But even then I’m not too high on Duval. I’ve seen too many players like him (athletes who can’t shoot) that don’t make the league. I do think he has a craftyness about him that might work well at the next level and he’s a great passer. I just think he’s kind of raw. Probably a pick in the 20s.
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#15 » by 916fan » Fri Feb 2, 2018 10:53 pm

I was hoping he'd take a leap this year..but he's regressed. wouldn't draft him until somewhere later in the 2nd. really disappointed in his progression as a player.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Re: RE: Re: Bruce Brown 

Post#16 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Feb 4, 2018 4:48 pm

916fan wrote:I was hoping he'd take a leap this year..but he's regressed. wouldn't draft him until somewhere later in the 2nd. really disappointed in his progression as a player.
Good news for my Wizards. He would be a decent second round pick.

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
Bye bye Beal.
Lwcasu
Pro Prospect
And1: 302

Post#17 » by Lwcasu » Wed Feb 7, 2018 8:25 am

I never thought he really resembled Westbrook. If you watch Westbrook in college he is much quicker with his decision making and just tended to play a faster pace of game. He would push the breaks faster, was a faster guy, and had/has superior athleticism. Brown is much stronger built at the same stage in their careers, but that doesn't translate to athleticism. Anyways, sad to see he got hurt, and hope he recovers quickly.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#18 » by MemphisX » Wed Feb 7, 2018 9:54 am

Dude is Tony Allen reborn.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g

Return to NBA Draft