And1: 1,486

Re: Welcome Johnathan Motley 

Post#2 » by fuller4379 » Thu Dec 7, 2017 2:09 pm

dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Post#3 » by dirkforpres » Thu Dec 7, 2017 2:51 pm

I wonder if this is preemptive to a trade next week with Noel. I’m not sure why else this would be necessary since we already have Dirk and Maxi, plus Mejri, Powell, and Nerlens clogging up the 4/5
FIRE JASON KIDD
Torgeir Bryn
Pro Prospect
And1: 657

Post#4 » by Torgeir Bryn » Thu Dec 7, 2017 2:53 pm

He will replace Noel's DNP-CD's? :P
fuller4379
Assistant Coach

Post#5 » by fuller4379 » Thu Dec 7, 2017 2:58 pm

dirkforpres wrote:I wonder if this is preemptive to a trade next week with Noel. I’m not sure why else this would be necessary since we already have Dirk and Maxi, plus Mejri, Powell, and Nerlens clogging up the 4/5

Noel is having surgery which opens up that roster spot. Motley is on a two-way so he can jump back and forth between Legends and Mavericks.
dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#6 » by dirkforpres » Thu Dec 7, 2017 3:21 pm

fuller4379 wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:I wonder if this is preemptive to a trade next week with Noel. I’m not sure why else this would be necessary since we already have Dirk and Maxi, plus Mejri, Powell, and Nerlens clogging up the 4/5

Noel is having surgery which opens up that roster spot. Motley is on a two-way so he can jump back and forth between Legends and Mavericks.

Right, but why was there a need to make a move at all to replace someone who doesn’t play anyway?
FIRE JASON KIDD
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 849

Post#7 » by Teffer10 » Thu Dec 7, 2017 5:52 pm

fuller4379 wrote:

I just hope Rick gives him a fair opportunity and doesn't pull him if he misses a shot or his plus/minus ever goes negative. If I understand the two-way contract correctly they are wasting an opportunity every game these guys suit up and don't play. Cleveland and Motley should be playing meaningful minutes every game, not just in garbage time and when 4 seconds are left in a quarter.
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#8 » by 2011Champs » Thu Dec 7, 2017 8:35 pm

Hopefully Carlisle believes that he has a good work ethic because if not, he will be doomed to stay in the doghouse.
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#9 » by JamesConway » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:40 am

Torgeir Bryn wrote:He will replace Noel's DNP-CD's? :P

Lol, you called it.

Played two minutes and is back with the Legends. No place for him in the rotation, gotta develop soon-to-be-FA Salah Mejri.
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#10 » by 2011Champs » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:14 pm

Motley is a waste of a roster spot. He should be playing 30 minutes on a tanking team to see what he can do. Instead we have dumbass Carlisle trying to scrape as many wins as possible on the backs of Barea, Harris and Wes.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#11 » by Teffer10 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:46 pm

2011Champs wrote:Motley is a waste of a roster spot. He should be playing 30 minutes on a tanking team to see what he can do. Instead we have dumbass Carlisle trying to scrape as many wins as possible on the backs of Barea, Harris and Wes.

Although I agree, I think Kleber's and Powell's performance is what has kept Motley on the bench. Mejri has a situational role because of his size and shot blocking skills so I don't see Motley getting any of his minutes.

I really wanted to see Motley play more too but with Dirk, Kleber and Powell playing pretty well I understand why Rick is not playing him. However, I do think some personnel changes need to be made at the TDL and hopefully when all settles there will be an opportunity for Motley. If Powell and/or Kleber get dealt or injured, Motley should have a nice opportunity. One of the reasons why I don't want to see a Noel for Randle deal because that will only make things worse for Motley.
Lord Cuban
Analyst
And1: 1,895

Post#12 » by Lord Cuban » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:25 am

Read on Twitter
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA Champions!!!
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#13 » by Darren » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:06 pm

Lord Cuban
Analyst
And1: 1,895

Post#14 » by Lord Cuban » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:59 pm

Read on Twitter
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA Champions!!!
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,038

Post#15 » by daoneandonly » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:21 pm

At what point is Carlisle going to let this guy get some burn? What do we have to lose now? It is honestly getting ridiculous. I'm not saying this guy is going to be a world beater, but he has skills to be a solid rotational player, and with our FO, we'll never know. Keep playing Matthews and Barea 35 minutes each.
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#16 » by JamesConway » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:37 pm

daoneandonly wrote:At what point is Carlisle going to let this guy get some burn? What do we have to lose now? It is honestly getting ridiculous. I'm not saying this guy is going to be a world beater, but he has skills to be a solid rotational player, and with our FO, we'll never know. Keep playing Matthews and Barea 35 minutes each.

Still no spot for him with Dirk/Mejri/Powell all being healthy and having to play. Every. Single. Game. It's such a joke but also the ultimate microcosm of this organization. Any normal 16-35 team would just trade away 31 year old soon-to-be-FA Mejri to get a look at this young kid who is putting in the work but not the Mavs :lol:

Motley is basically getting the AJ Hammons-treatment. I hope this doesn't fall back on him and hurts his career. Other teams will ask why he is not getting any chances here at all. I seriously hope we waive him. Feel bad for him. He deserves his chance and we're clearly not interested in giving him a fair one.

If Mejri is still on the team after the deadline then Mot should ask to be released.
dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#17 » by dirkforpres » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:04 pm

JamesConway wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:At what point is Carlisle going to let this guy get some burn? What do we have to lose now? It is honestly getting ridiculous. I'm not saying this guy is going to be a world beater, but he has skills to be a solid rotational player, and with our FO, we'll never know. Keep playing Matthews and Barea 35 minutes each.

Still no spot for him with Dirk/Mejri/Powell all being healthy and having to play. Every. Single. Game. It's such a joke but also the ultimate microcosm of this organization. Any normal 16-35 team would just trade away 31 year old soon-to-be-FA Mejri to get a look at this young kid who is putting in the work but not the Mavs :lol:

Motley is basically getting the AJ Hammons-treatment. I hope this doesn't fall back on him and hurts his career. Other teams will ask why he is not getting any chances here at all. I seriously hope we waive him. Feel bad for him. He deserves his chance and we're clearly not interested in giving him a fair one.

If Mejri is still on the team after the deadline then Mot should ask to be released.

While I agree we need to rid ourselves of Mejri (and Powell, if possible), Motley has to know PT would be sparse his rookie year as an undrafted rookie. Dirk retires next year, Mejri is gone by next season (via trade or FA), and suddenly plenty of minutes open up. Best thing he can do right now is kill it in the G league while the Mavs continue to lose games. Next year he has opportunities to get plenty of burn, I would assume
FIRE JASON KIDD
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#18 » by Teffer10 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:41 pm

With less than 45 days left Motley should be getting at least the same look as Collinsworth is getting.
I say trade Mejri and virtually shut Dirk down for the rest of the season and let Motley, Powell and Maxi compete and develop.
The only victories that matter the rest of this season is youth development. They've had plenty of time to watch the vets and now it is time to play.

But as long as we are mathematically in it, Rick will fight to the end.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach

Post#19 » by fuller4379 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:26 pm

I would prefer seeing Motley get minutes in the G League than sitting on the bench in Dallas. They need to play him some if they have him on the Mavericks roster.
aussiebballer
Freshman
And1: 5

Post#20 » by aussiebballer » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:50 pm

I think he has less then 35 days left of the time he can be with the Mavs during this season.
They had him sitting on the bench earlier in the season.

I assume they will use when there is a month or so left in the season so he can just stay with the team.
If the Legends are going play in the G League finals they may want him to play in that for more experience.

Could also come down to who\if any Mavs bigs get traded in the next 2 weeks.
If they trade Noel and the Mej then they could use Motley as a backup.

Return to Dallas Mavericks