ImageImageImageImageImage

OT any of you investing in Cryptocurrencies?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,284

OT any of you investing in Cryptocurrencies? 

Post#1 » by RHODEY » Tue Jan 2, 2018 5:20 pm

I took the plunge last July and tripled my investments. 2018 seems like it will be a HUGE year...
Da_Mane_Man
General Manager
And1: 1,590

Re: OT any of you investing in Crypto? 

Post#2 » by Da_Mane_Man » Tue Jan 2, 2018 5:22 pm

yeah, one of my goals is to invest in the next couple of weeks.

i've been learning more about it before i do so. any good resources you can recommend?
dmzed
Sophomore
And1: 143

Post#3 » by dmzed » Tue Jan 2, 2018 5:41 pm

Recently started, already saw some nice returns on ADA. Currently also holding TRX and FunFair.
Earl the Pearl
Sophomore
And1: 26

Post#4 » by Earl the Pearl » Tue Jan 2, 2018 5:42 pm

Started earlier last year and tripled my investments also.I pulled my original investment with a little profit and used the rest to buy more alt coins. From Thursday till Monday ,I've doubled my coin value because of the weekend alt coin upward movement. Atl coin investment requires patience(Hodl) and research/reading. Do not listen to anyone telling you what to buy without having some idea about what you're putting your money into. There are a lot of people advertising coins to get people to invest and a lot of it is worthless.Called pump and dump. My philosphy on coins is to read and understand the coins purpose and potential for the future.If it has neither,don't invest.
Da_Mane_Man
General Manager

Post#5 » by Da_Mane_Man » Tue Jan 2, 2018 5:46 pm

Earl the Pearl wrote:Started earlier last year and tripled my investments also.I pulled my original investment with a little profit and used the rest to buy more alt coins. From Thursday till Monday ,I've doubled my coin value because of the weekend alt coin upward movement. Atl coin investment requires patience(Hodl) and research/reading. Do not listen to anyone telling you what to buy without having some idea about what you're putting your money into. There are a lot of people advertising coins to get people to invest and a lot of it is worthless.Called pump and dump. My philosphy on coins is to read and understand the coins purpose and potential for the future.If it has neither,don't invest.

Do you have any trusted sources where you read/research? Or do you just go on the coin's individual site?
CDAZ
Head Coach
And1: 2,252

Post#6 » by CDAZ » Tue Jan 2, 2018 5:48 pm

Tried signing up to buy ripple last month when it was like 47 cents but the sites wouldn't let me register a card or bank account to purchase. SMFH
dmzed
Sophomore

Post#7 » by dmzed » Tue Jan 2, 2018 5:56 pm

Da_Mane_Man wrote:yeah, one of my goals is to invest in the next couple of weeks.

i've been learning more about it before i do so. any good resources you can recommend?

https://pastebin.com/pr2J16X4

List of resources i've been using.
frothbrain
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,704

Post#8 » by frothbrain » Tue Jan 2, 2018 5:58 pm

tried buying some eth in beg of dec. dipped over 10% and sold at a loss. didn't like how everything was tied to bitcoin. ofc it's up 2x at this point but yea wouldnt touch crypto again. the market caps for what these companies provide seem grossly inflated. only recommendation is only invest what you can afford to lose.
frothbrain
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,704

Post#9 » by frothbrain » Tue Jan 2, 2018 6:02 pm

dmzed wrote:
Da_Mane_Man wrote:yeah, one of my goals is to invest in the next couple of weeks.

which exchange are you using?

if i were to get back in it would definitely be to literally gamble on alt coins.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,284

Post#10 » by RHODEY » Tue Jan 2, 2018 6:12 pm

This is a little old but a good starting point..

Da_Mane_Man
General Manager

Post#11 » by Da_Mane_Man » Tue Jan 2, 2018 6:37 pm

dmzed wrote:

:thumbsup: thank you!
dmzed
Sophomore

Post#12 » by dmzed » Tue Jan 2, 2018 6:43 pm

frothbrain wrote:
dmzed wrote:

which exchange are you using?

if i were to get back in it would definitely be to literally gamble on alt coins.

Coinbase to buy in if using credit/debit card, gemini to buy in using bank account. Transfer to Binance to trade/buy alts.
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#13 » by magnumt » Tue Jan 2, 2018 6:44 pm

frothbrain wrote:tried buying some eth in beg of dec. dipped over 10% and sold at a loss. didn't like how everything was tied to bitcoin. ofc it's up 2x at this point but yea wouldnt touch crypto again. the market caps for what these companies provide seem grossly inflated. only recommendation is only invest what you can afford to lose.

Because of the rapid and extreme volatility, and unlike regular markets, this type of approach you used was VERY wrong.

--Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
BKAY
Analyst
And1: 1,396

Post#14 » by BKAY » Tue Jan 2, 2018 6:46 pm

Yeah. Ive been it for a bit. My portfolio is up a lot since I've started. Just research a lot, I mean a lot. Read the "white paper" of every coin you are thinking of. Dont invest money you arent willing to lose. The market is INCREDIBLY volatile. 24 hrs a day 7 days a week 365 days a year. Not one second off in the crypto world.

Please do not even think about it as a get rich quick thing. If you invest in good coins with a long term approach, you will be happy with the investment. If you plan on day trading, it will consume your life. Not something I'd do without being as comfortable as can be in the space.

Never tell anyone actual numbers of your portfolio, refer to everything in %s. 1.they dont need to know how much you have in and 2. crypto conversations become huge dick measuring contests, keep your talk in %s.

Bitcoin and Eth are safe enough. You can just put money into Coinbase and invest in Ethereum, Bitcoin, Litecoin as easy and trustworthy as can be. Link it to your bank and you can buy and sell pretty instantaneously.

My best piece of advice is no one really knows ish about crypto. Its so new. Uncharted territory. Do your own research, follow your own leads. Never take anybody's advice without thoroughly vetting it yourself.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,481

Post#15 » by j4remi » Tue Jan 2, 2018 6:51 pm

Going to buy and hold on some Ripple types. I'm playing it like safe though. Low investments on cheaper trading cryptos in the hope that one of that flies.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
SmoothLefty21
Starter
And1: 2,410

Post#16 » by SmoothLefty21 » Tue Jan 2, 2018 7:12 pm

I have been involved for a while, both mining and investing, and it's silly how much money you can make on this stuff if you know what you're doing. I own BTC, BCH, LTC, ADA, XRP and IOTA at the moment am looking at additional cheap/new coins for 2018.

Cardano/ADA and Ripple/XRP are the two coins I'm thinking/hoping will blow up in 2018, and Segwit2x which is my Hail Mary.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,403
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#17 » by E-Balla » Tue Jan 2, 2018 7:15 pm

Yep. I even got a Litecoin miner. I need to stop being lazy and take all my stock investments and throw it into crypto but my stock investments have a 52% return right now and that's so high I'm thinking I might as well keep a diverse investment portfolio.
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,059

Post#18 » by poeman » Tue Jan 2, 2018 7:22 pm

CDAZ wrote:Tried signing up to buy ripple last month when it was like 47 cents but the sites wouldn't let me register a card or bank account to purchase. SMFH

Same here...I was going to buy at 20 cents. I am annoyed because for me I believe in some of the altcoins and BTC. I got stuck with coinbase and now I want to leave them behind because they clearly are in the midst of some shady practice and insider trading
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,059

Post#19 » by poeman » Tue Jan 2, 2018 7:25 pm

Can you guys tell me which exchange to use that is legit enough and I can buy altcoins...

**** Coinbase and Gdax, I need to pull out from there and move somewhere else. I hear Gemini, Bitfinex, Binance are good
SmoothLefty21
Starter
And1: 2,410

Post#20 » by SmoothLefty21 » Tue Jan 2, 2018 7:27 pm

poeman wrote:
CDAZ wrote:Tried signing up to buy ripple last month when it was like 47 cents but the sites wouldn't let me register a card or bank account to purchase. SMFH

Same here...I was going to buy at 20 cents. I am annoyed because for me I believe in some of the altcoins and BTC. I got stuck with coinbase and now I want to leave them behind because they clearly are in the midst of some shady practice and insider trading

My friends who tried to get in during the post-Thanksgiving rush had terrible experiences too. Once you get your initial deposit into Coinbase it should be pretty smooth sailing though.

I've been using Binance as my primary exchange and haven't had any issues. Of course, coins should be left in online exchanges for the shortest amount of time possible.

Return to New York Knicks