Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,094

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander 

Post#1 » by The-Power » Wed Jan 3, 2018 2:04 am

SGA deserves his own thread. He played extremely well for Kentucky this season and has started to be more aggressive offensively against Louisville and Georgia. His defense has been a total game changer, he is incredibly long with quick hands and the lateral quickness to really be a pest to his opponent. On offense he's been great from the line, has shown the potential to be at least a spot-up shooter, and does a good job of finding his teammates.

In a lot of ways he reminds me of Frank Ntilikina who I have been and continue to be high on. So it's only consistent for me to promote him just like I promoted Frank last year. I'm not sure he can be the primary playmaker on an NBA – something I do believe Ntilikina will be in a couple years – but he has great value as a potential 3&D PG or a SG with playmaking skills even if he can't be a lead-guard type. This skill-set is something every single team in the NBA can use and he's up there with Knox as Kentucky's best prospect this year if he continues to play this way, in my eyes. Could be a late lottery pick.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander 

Post#2 » by No-Man » Wed Jan 3, 2018 2:50 am

Not the same vision as Frank but I get what you are saying, he is also a better slasher and I think Frank can shoot it a bit more.

Shai reminds me of LeVert at times.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#3 » by doordoor123 » Wed Jan 3, 2018 2:51 am

The-Power wrote:SGA deserves his own thread. He played extremely well for Kentucky this season and has started to be more aggressive offensively against Louisville and Georgia. His defense has been a total game changer, he is incredibly long with quick hands and the lateral quickness to really be a pest to his opponent. On offense he's been great from the line, has shown the potential to be at least a spot-up shooter, and does a good job of finding his teammates.

In a lot of ways he reminds me of Frank Ntilikina who I have been and continue to be high on. So it's only consistent for me to promote him just like I promoted Frank last year. I'm not sure he can be the primary playmaker on an NBA – something I do believe Ntilikina will be in a couple years – but he has great value as a potential 3&D PG or a SG with playmaking skills even if he can't be a lead-guard type. This skill-set is something every single team in the NBA can use and he's up there with Knox as Kentucky's best prospect this year if he continues to play this way, in my eyes. Could be a late lottery pick.

Lol Ntilikina is way too generous of a comparison. He’s a little more similar to Shaun Livingston. He’s not getting in the paint very often in the NBA, but he’s a good passer from the top or around the arc and he can drive it when a lane is open. Ntilikina is much bouncier, has a better handle and a better jumper. In terms of length, I guess? He doesn’t have high upside, but can be a really good defender and back up point guard. He might even be a shooting guard at the next level.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,094

Post#4 » by The-Power » Wed Jan 3, 2018 3:21 am

doordoor123 wrote:Lol Ntilikina is way too generous of a comparison. He’s a little more similar to Shaun Livingston. He’s not getting in the paint very often in the NBA, but he’s a good passer from the top or around the arc and he can drive it when a lane is open. Ntilikina is much bouncier, has a better handle and a better jumper. In terms of length, I guess? He doesn’t have high upside, but can be a really good defender and back up point guard. He might even be a shooting guard at the next level.

Not only in terms of length but also in terms of current built and how they approach offense. Mostly, however, he reminded me of Frank when he is hounding and stripping opposing Guards – this just looks so much like Ntilikina. Who, by the way, also struggles to get into the paint in the NBA and hasn't been a great slasher in FIBA tournaments either. Not seeing Shaun Livingston at all, certainly not of you refer to the Livingston of today.

The biggest difference between Ntilikina and SGA is Ntilikina's vision, I definitely agree with Fischella on that one. Ntilikina is extremely savvy in the PnR and can be a lethal weapon here once his jumper comes around and if he can turn the corner more aggressively. Frank also has more untapped physical potential with his frame and current body composition. I'm not seeing this potential in Shai but he could be a player a lot of similarities and could actually resemble a more efficient Rookie Ntilikina in a lot of ways once he gets accustomed to the NBA (whereas Ntilikina is much more likely to get to a level higher once he starts being more aggressive).

Not sure I agree with you on the bouncier and better jumpshot front. Ntilikina isn't really bouncy and has never been that type of player, although I wouldn't be surprised to see more of that over the next few years (given the aforementioned untapped physical potential). Ntilikina has more potential off the dribble as a shooter but he isn't exactly a sharpshooter and Shai's FT% and shooting form certainly indicates that he could develop into a solid 3P shooter, especially off the catch. In terms of how efficient they can be as shooters I don't see the necessity to separate Frank from SGA just yet without seeing more from the latter (I admit I haven't followed him prior to this season, though) – at this point I'd just argue that they are likely to do it differently.

edit: And just to be clear, I do consider Frank a superior prospect by a good margin. Ntilikina would be a top-5 level talent just like he has been last year in my eyes whereas Shai could sneak into the lottery if he continues to play this well. So there's a clear gap, but it's not so big that a comparison is borderline because of that discrepancy imo.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by doordoor123 » Wed Jan 3, 2018 3:42 am

The-Power wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:Lol Ntilikina is way too generous of a comparison. He’s a little more similar to Shaun Livingston. He’s not getting in the paint very often in the NBA, but he’s a good passer from the top or around the arc and he can drive it when a lane is open. Ntilikina is much bouncier, has a better handle and a better jumper. In terms of length, I guess? He doesn’t have high upside, but can be a really good defender and back up point guard. He might even be a shooting guard at the next level.

Not only in terms of length but also in terms of current built and how they approach offense. Mostly, however, he reminded me of Frank when he is hounding and stripping opposing Guards – this just looks so much like Ntilikina. Who, by the way, also struggles to get into the paint in the NBA and hasn't been a great slasher in FIBA tournaments either. Not seeing Shaun Livingston at all, certainly not of you refer to the Livingston of today.

The biggest difference between Ntilikina and SGA is Ntilikina's vision, I definitely agree with Fischella on that one. Ntilikina is extremely savvy in the PnR and can be a lethal weapon here once his jumper comes around and if he can turn the corner more aggressively. Frank also has more untapped physical potential with his frame and current body composition. I'm not seeing this potential in Shai but he could be a player a lot of similarities and could actually resemble a more efficient Rookie Ntilikina in a lot of ways once he gets accustomed to the NBA (whereas Ntilikina is much more likely to get to a level higher once he starts being more aggressive).

Not sure I agree with you on the bouncier and better jumpshot front. Ntilikina isn't really bouncy and has never been that type of player, although I wouldn't be surprised to see more of that over the next few years (given the aforementioned untapped physical potential). Ntilikina has more potential off the dribble as a shooter but he isn't exactly a sharpshooter and Shai's FT% and shooting form certainly indicates that he could develop into a solid 3P shooter, especially off the catch. In terms of how efficient they can be as shooters I don't see the necessity to separate Frank from SGA just yet without seeing more from the latter (I admit I haven't followed him prior to this season, though) – at this point I'd just argue that they are likely to do it differently.

edit: And just to be clear, I do consider Frank a superior prospect by a good margin. Ntilikina would be a top-5 level talent just like he has been last year in my eyes whereas Shai could sneak into the lottery if he continues to play this well. So there's a clear gap, but it's not so big that a comparison is borderline because of that discrepancy imo.

Well yeah, they’re different players. I don’t see Shai as a lottery talent at all. He’s a really good defender, but his offensive upside isn’t as high. He’s careful with the ball, but he’s not a great handler. He’s a good passer, but his lack of burst and his flat-footed running is going to be really predictable in the NBA. He’s not quick, tricky enough or a good enough shooter. Ntilikina has great hip flexibility and is light on his feet (bouncy), something Shai just doesn’t have. I like Shai and think he’s going to be a good player, but I don’t believe he can be a starting handler. Maybe a starting SG that defends for the lead handler, but I personally wouldn’t take that in the first 16 picks.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#6 » by No-Man » Wed Jan 3, 2018 3:47 am

Yeah Shai isn't as fluid as frank, I think he is a 1st round guy if he declares, but more in the 20s
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,325

Post#7 » by Mecca » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:35 pm

Fischella wrote:Yeah Shai isn't as fluid as frank, I think he is a 1st round guy if he declares, but more in the 20s

He's way more fluid than Frank actually.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#8 » by 916fan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:31 pm

Mecca wrote:
Fischella wrote:Yeah Shai isn't as fluid as frank, I think he is a 1st round guy if he declares, but more in the 20s

He's way more fluid than Frank actually.

I agree. Frank is really stiff especially around the hips imo. Struggles to turn the corner right now, but I think he's ahead of Gilgeous-Alexander as a prospect due to his defense.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#9 » by Catchall » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:38 pm

He's a sneaky-good athlete. Not an above-the-rim guy, but gets where he wants on the floor. He reminds me of Larry Hughes.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by doordoor123 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:43 pm

I think I might be underrating Gilgeous-Alexander. I might be underrating his athleticism. He might not be quick, but he has long legs and strides down the court. It might help him get to the basket in the NBA, like James Harden. And he has some NBA advanced-types of moves when he attacks the basket.

Maybe before the 20s. Maybe the lottery.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#11 » by GimmeDat » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:00 pm

Could almostbe similar to Elfrid Payton I think. Great feel and size.
Mecca
RealGM

Post#12 » by Mecca » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:22 pm

GimmeDat wrote:Could almostbe similar to Elfrid Payton I think. Great feel and size.

Much craftier
Brooklyn Nets
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by doordoor123 » Wed Feb 7, 2018 1:40 am

There are things I like about his game, but it’s hard to imagine how he translates to the NBA. He’s probably not a point guard and honestly I’m not sold on his three point shot. His lack of speed is also an issue even though he’s long and has great defensive instincts. His issue with a lack of speed was apparent in his most recent game. His handle is also not the strongest. He has great pace and can finish really well though. Maybe the comparison is a better version Michael Carter-Williams, who was also a good defender in college, but he’s better at a younger age. Pretty much what everyone was expecting MCW to be.
I don’t think he’s a lottery pick, but I think he ends up being a valuable player.
logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#14 » by logical_art » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:46 pm

Last 5 games:

19.4 ppg, 42% 3pt, 7.6 FTAs, .63 TS, 4.8 REB, 6.8 AST.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by doordoor123 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:59 pm

logical_art wrote:Last 5 games:

19.4 ppg, 42% 3pt, 7.6 FTAs, 4.8 REB, 6.8 AST, 19.4 PPG, .63 TS

He changes directions so fluidly and his jumper is starting to look real good. He has a nice high release and such a good feel for the game. He’s also long and has long strides.
Cosmic_Backlash
Junior
And1: 272

Post#16 » by Cosmic_Backlash » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:07 pm

GimmeDat wrote:Could almostbe similar to Elfrid Payton I think. Great feel and size.

If he can be Payton with legitimate defense can shoot 3s then that's a real player. Payton's problem's are exclusively that he can't guard anyone and when he's off the ball he is a negative offensively.

If he's ends up like Payton in his current state, then that's at best a late first or early 2nd kind of player.
Mecca
RealGM

Post#17 » by Mecca » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:39 pm

Andre Miller is my comp.
Brooklyn Nets
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,546

Post#18 » by PaKii94 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:45 pm

Cosmic_Backlash wrote:

If he can be Payton with legitimate defense can shoot 3s then that's a real player. Payton's problem's are exclusively that he can't guard anyone and when he's off the ball he is a negative offensively.

If he's ends up like Payton in his current state, then that's at best a late first or early 2nd kind of player.

I haven't watched Payton much since coming into the NBA but during the draft, wasn't his calling card supposed to be defense?
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#19 » by Grits n Gravy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:25 pm

I've never seen a full game only highlights but from that his game reminds me so much of Tony Parker. He has those little flip shots and floaters, spins in the lane to lay ups and those wrong footed lay ups. Like I said I've only seen highlights so disregard.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#20 » by Wizop » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:42 pm

doordoor123 wrote:Lol Ntilikina is way too generous of a comparison. He’s a little more similar to Shaun Livingston.

before or after Shaun's injury and rehab? if he has the potential of an always healthy Livingston, that's awfully good.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.

Return to NBA Draft