ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA Gatorade League: Agua Caliente Clippers of Ontario

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,804

Re: NBA Gatorade League: Agua Caliente Clippers of Ontario 

Post#81 » by esqtvd » Tue Nov 7, 2017 11:47 pm

Don Tommy wrote:How do you watch the games?

I haven't tried it yet but I think they're streamed here

https://www.facebook.com/nbagleague/
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#82 » by esqtvd » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:18 am

if you want a peek at ACCO, set yr VCR

Agua Caliente vs Lakers Monday morning 12/11 at 7 AM on the Lakers Spectrum sports channel
from Dec 2
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#83 » by esqtvd » Tue Jan 2, 2018 11:35 pm

I've recorded a few games but with the 4 main projected ACCOs getting significant minutes with the big club, there's really been no point in watching
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#84 » by esqtvd » Sat Jan 6, 2018 2:35 am

Make that ACCO's top 5--Tyrone Wallace [22.8 ppg] was just signed to a 2-way.
JGOJustin
Pro Prospect
And1: 726

Post#85 » by JGOJustin » Sat Jan 6, 2018 7:09 pm

Think it's funny how Clips people were telling me this summer how unnecessary getting a GL team was, and here we reaping the benefits of having our on team.
@JamalCristopher - Come Back To California https://soundcloud.com/jamalcristopher/california
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Employing the Unqualified 

Post#86 » by Ranma » Sat Jan 6, 2018 7:36 pm

JGOJustin wrote:Think it's funny how Clips people were telling me this summer how unnecessary getting a GL team was, and here we reaping the benefits of having our on team.

What's sad is how most die-hard Clipper fans had more foresight to see the big picture than Doc and his cronies. It's no coincidence that we're benefiting from having our own developmental team as soon as Doc was relieved of front-office leadership and Jerry West was hired to be consultant.

What is surprising is how quickly the Clippers have indeed benefited from such players. I thought it'd take a couple of years before we'd see some kind of progress in that department given the holes in our organizational infrastructure that still need to be addressed. However, the fact that we still have people within the Clippers organization who lack the cognitive ability to see the long-term benefits of player development shows how much work still needs to be done towards cleaning out our front office.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
esqtvd
RealGM

Re: Employing the Unqualified 

Post#87 » by esqtvd » Sat Jan 6, 2018 9:10 pm

Ranma wrote:
JGOJustin wrote:Think it's funny how Clips people were telling me this summer how unnecessary getting a GL team was, and here we reaping the benefits of having our on team.

What's sad is how most die-hard Clipper fans had more foresight to see the big picture than Doc and his cronies. It's no coincidence that we're benefiting from having our own developmental team as soon as Doc was relieved of front-office leadership and Jerry West was hired to be consultant.

What is surprising is how quickly the Clippers have indeed benefited from such players. I thought it'd take a couple of years before we'd see some kind of progress in that department given the holes in our organizational infrastructure that still need to be addressed. However, the fact that we still have people within the Clippers organization who lack the cognitive ability to see the long-term benefits of player development shows how much work still needs to be done towards cleaning out our front office.

LOL. RDS BS. Doc has been pushing for a D-League team for years.

https://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/los-angeles-clippers-doc-rivers-wants-own-d-league-team-121715

Dec 17, 2015 at 3:00a ET
The Los Angeles Clippers are discussing the possibility of operating their own D-League affiliate, according to the Orange County Register.

“I believe that we all need one,” head coach Doc Rivers said. “ … I believe that every team should have a D-League team. I hope that happens one day. I think it would help in a lot of ways, not just in the ways that we see right now.

The problem until this year and the institution of 2-way contracts was that you had no exclusive rights to any of your players. You were running a farm club that anybody could come along and pluck your best players. As soon as they fixed that bug, Ballmer was in. Spending millions just to have a 'B' team for a Brice Johnson to work out with was stupid, and Ballmer is not stupid.

With Doc doing a heroic job keeping things together, these RDS blasts about the past are getting more and more absurd. :sleep3:
JGOJustin
Pro Prospect

Re: Employing the Unqualified 

Post#88 » by JGOJustin » Sat Jan 6, 2018 9:51 pm

Ranma wrote:

It wasn't doc though. Doc has been pushing for a G league team for some time. He and Ballmer didn't butt heads over it, but Doc has been pushing for it. Verbatim it was Ballmer who didn't wanna spend the money on a G-League team.

It was mostly a financial thing along with other heads. The idea of essentially giving away millions by having a GL team didn't appeal to ballmer, and the amount of 'true' G league players who make it to the NBA are pretty slim.

Obviously one can now see how greatly a GL team can benefit an NBA team if used correctly, and hopefully this aids in our player scouting and player development for years to come.
@JamalCristopher - Come Back To California https://soundcloud.com/jamalcristopher/california
JGOJustin
Pro Prospect

Post#89 » by JGOJustin » Sat Jan 6, 2018 9:54 pm

No team makes money off of their G-League team.

Easy for us to say, F it and get a Minor league team because we 'need it' we're not the one spending millions to get a team, but this is still a business, and while a GL team could be considered an investment, losing money from a venture is never ideal, not when the GL still has a ways to go before it becomes a fruitful minor league for the NBA.
Ranma
RealGM

Business of Basketball 

Post#90 » by Ranma » Sun Jan 7, 2018 1:26 am

JGOJustin wrote:It wasn't doc though. Doc has been pushing for a G league team for some time. He and Ballmer didn't butt heads over it, but Doc has been pushing for it. Verbatim it was Ballmer who didn't wanna spend the money on a G-League team.

It was mostly a financial thing along with other heads. The idea of essentially giving away millions by having a GL team didn't appeal to ballmer, and the amount of 'true' G league players who make it to the NBA are pretty slim.

Obviously one can now see how greatly a GL team can benefit an NBA team if used correctly, and hopefully this aids in our player scouting and player development for years to come.

JGOJustin wrote:No team makes money off of their G-League team.

Easy for us to say, F it and get a Minor league team because we 'need it' we're not the one spending millions to get a team, but this is still a business, and while a GL team could be considered an investment, losing money from a venture is never ideal, not when the GL still has a ways to go before it becomes a fruitful minor league for the NBA.

I've heard Doc's statements about wanting his own G-League team, but it's hard to believe he meant it or give him the benefit of the doubt given his inclination towards short-term solutions when it comes to drafting and players in general. I suspect he was paying lip service to appease his critics, but even if he wasn't, he's thoroughly proven incompetent in the areas of identifying talent and developing it, so having a G-League team under his watch was doubtful to yield any results just as his draft picks and free-agent signings have been lacking.

At the same time, I have no reason to doubt what you say, so it's surprising to hear that Ballmer was the one who was gun-shy about getting a G-League team, but it makes sense from a business perspective just as you presented it, especially given how the D-League had several NBA teams without affiliates. Now the newly named G-League has almost every team a part of it and those without a team are working towards getting one.

This underscores the influence and wisdom that Jerry West has already provided for the Clippers' franchise. His presence has already paid dividends and he's proven to be worth every penny of his lucrative contract. Still, it's perplexing to hear Ballmer was reluctant to get a G-League team when he's also publicly stated that he'd spare no expense in order to bring "Larry's" to the Clippers, which goes to show that you can't always take public statements at face value.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#91 » by esqtvd » Mon Jan 8, 2018 6:25 am

BTW, the NBA prorates eligibility days for 2-way contracts. Tyrone Wallace gets only 25 days [they round the number up] with the Clippers.

Read on Twitter

Unfortunately, $122K is not enough room to keep Jamil Wilson, so that's the name of that tune. He's a nice player but he's 27 years old and not worth jumping on the luxury tax repeater treadmill in a year we're not serious contenders.
JGOJustin
Pro Prospect

Post#92 » by JGOJustin » Mon Jan 8, 2018 6:05 pm

esqtvd wrote:BTW, the NBA prorates eligibility days for 2-way contracts. Tyrone Wallace gets only 25 days [they round the number up] with the Clippers.

Read on Twitter

Unfortunately, $122K is not enough room to keep Jamil Wilson, so that's the name of that tune. He's a nice player but he's 27 years old and not worth jumping on the luxury tax repeater treadmill in a year we're not serious contenders.

Don't worry about Jamil, he's already been scooped up by the damn Lakers of all teams. **** lol
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Post#93 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:51 am

I was hoping that another team would have taken Wilson or that he would have returned to the AC Clippers. It's probably selfish of me hoping that we could keep him. Best of luck to Jamil Wilson
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#94 » by QRich3 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:29 am

So I don't wanna get into this whole debate again, but thinking we got Jamil, CJ and Wallace because we got a G League team is misunderstanding the issue greatly, imo. We don't need to own an affiliate to scout, find and sign players to 2-way contracts. The Blazers don't have a G-League team but they have CJ Wilcox on a 2-way contract. The Pelicans and Nuggets don't have one either, and they still have two guys each on those 2-way contracts. What's changed is the Clippers started stressing the need for scouting and developing players, and that started happening before the Agua Caliente Clippers, before Jerry West, and before all of the new regime.

Not saying owning an affiliate team won't end up reaping benefits eventually, I'm convinced it will, but right now it's just a way to spend money with very little benefit. You could do what we did without owning a team.
Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,296

Post#95 » by Dynamix » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:56 am

QRich3 wrote:

So I don't wanna get into this whole debate again, but thinking we got Jamil, CJ and Wallace because we got a G League team is misunderstanding the issue greatly, imo. We don't need to own an affiliate to scout, find and sign players to 2-way contracts. The Blazers don't have a G-League team but they have CJ Wilcox on a 2-way contract. The Pelicans and Nuggets don't have one either, and they still have two guys each on those 2-way contracts. What's changed is the Clippers started stressing the need for scouting and developing players, and that started happening before the Agua Caliente Clippers, before Jerry West, and before all of the new regime.

Not saying owning an affiliate team won't end up reaping benefits eventually, I'm convinced it will, but right now it's just a way to spend money with very little benefit. You could do what we did without owning a team.

But isn't it much easier to develop these players when you have your own people running the G-League team? It's one thing for them to get random minutes on some random team, and another to play within somewhat of a system, with guaranteed minutes and fixed positions based on what the main team needs, have better feedback on their progress on the court, during practice, etc. Even being closer to home seems like an important advantage. Or sending a main player to practice with the G-leaguers while rehabing, that could also have a positive impact. Sure, simply having the team does not guarantee anything, but I wouldn't say there's very little benefit to it.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#96 » by QRich3 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:07 pm

Dynamix wrote:But isn't it much easier to develop these players when you have your own people running the G-League team? It's one thing for them to get random minutes on some random team, and another to play within somewhat of a system, with guaranteed minutes and fixed positions based on what the main team needs, have better feedback on their progress on the court, during practice, etc. Even being closer to home seems like an important advantage. Or sending a main player to practice with the G-leaguers while rehabing, that could also have a positive impact. Sure, simply having the team does not guarantee anything, but I wouldn't say there's very little benefit to it.

That is the theory, and hopefully in the future it will work like that. But if you actually follow how the G-League works nowadays, it barely has any developmental value at all. It's just guys on a laughable salary fighting for numbers so they can catch the eye of an NBA team. Coaches try to implement systems, but not one player buys on it, it's selfish play all around, and it will be as long as they don't allocate more money for player salary.

When they do, and the G-League starts functioning as an actual sort of minor league, then I will be all in on the necessity of having a team. Meanwhile, it's just putting money with the hopes that it improves some day.
Ranma
RealGM

Listen Up, Ballmer 

Post#97 » by Ranma » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:45 am

Even during the darkest days in Clipperdom under Sterling ownership, there were times when really bad Clippers teams had standout players who played their guts out like Charles "Bo" Outlaw and Harold Ellis. Ideally, we'd be finding the next Outlaw and Ellis with our Agua Caliente Clippers.

Not only does it benefit the main Clippers club to have players indoctrinated in the Clippers' system with expectations imparted on them with regards to their respective roles and/or conduct, but the organization would also have a dedicated staff who could devote more time mining for gold in the G-League while West and the rest can focus on the college game, prep scene, international leagues, and even the NBA itself to identify and evaluate talent.

It shouldn't be that hard a concept to understand why having a G-League team benefits an NBA franchise.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Noticeable Difference 

Post#98 » by Ranma » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:35 pm

Remember how the D-League was basically a bunch of gunners out for themselves in order to showcase their abilities to sign 10-day contracts in the NBA? It's no coincidence that G-Leaguers are transitioning more smoothly into the NBA game than their predecessors when they're being coached and developed by NBA personnel within the framework of NBA schemes.

Yeah, we happened to find 3 serviceable players from our G-League affiliate in one season, which is more than Doc has ever found for the Clippers through the draft and D-League as President of Basketball Operations. Funny how that works, huh?

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#99 » by TucsonClip » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:42 pm

I would have lost my **** if someone inside the organization said that to me. I have been championing a D/G-League team for years. Thankfully we arent the last franchise to start one, but pretty damn close.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#100 » by TucsonClip » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:45 pm

Dynamix wrote:
QRich3 wrote:

But isn't it much easier to develop these players when you have your own people running the G-League team? It's one thing for them to get random minutes on some random team, and another to play within somewhat of a system, with guaranteed minutes and fixed positions based on what the main team needs, have better feedback on their progress on the court, during practice, etc. Even being closer to home seems like an important advantage. Or sending a main player to practice with the G-leaguers while rehabing, that could also have a positive impact. Sure, simply having the team does not guarantee anything, but I wouldn't say there's very little benefit to it.

Im also not going to get back into this debate, because I think its nonsensical, for the most part.

Short answer, yes. Not to mention not having to reassign guys to Fort Wayne, Erie, Maine, and all over the damn place each time they are sent back down.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier

Return to Los Angeles Clippers