ImageImageImageImageImage

2017/2018 NBA Trade/Wishing Well Thread (Cont.)

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Who's Your Daddy?!

Capn'O
35%
DK
6%
KoC
3%
NLR
6%
GONYK
15%
Moocow
12%
Remi
6%
KT
15%
Thorn
No votes
Thugger
3%

Total votes: 34

eagle54
Pro Prospect
And1: 502

Re: 2017/2018 NBA Trade/Wishing Well Thread (Cont.) 

Post#841 » by eagle54 » Tue Jan 9, 2018 3:48 pm

They never give us a first round. They want to trade shump and frye, maybe a second round but never a first.
The gap between GSW and Cavs is important, I think Lee and KOQ didn't allow to help the cavs in finals. So they never give a pick if a trade can't change the Finales.
jullybully21
Sophomore
And1: 92

Post#842 » by jullybully21 » Tue Jan 9, 2018 3:50 pm

Mecca wrote:
jullybully21 wrote:For those who've watched Kyle Anderson from the Spurs; what type of player is he since he entered the league..

Is his defense any good? Can he defend wing players?

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

I'm a big SlowMo fan. Jersey hooper.

His defense is very good. High awareness on D. Smart player all around. I wouldn't say elite, but I'd def say very good defender. Gets you a steal and a block a game... elite passing skills. He lowkey would make a lot of sense for the Knicks. I'd try to get him.

That's good to hear as I was a fan of his in college but I haven't watched him with the Spurs. Do you consider him a 3 or small ball 4?
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#843 » by Mecca » Tue Jan 9, 2018 4:24 pm

jullybully21 wrote:
Mecca wrote:
jullybully21 wrote:For those who've watched Kyle Anderson from the Spurs; what type of player is he since he entered the league..

Is his defense any good? Can he defend wing players?

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

I'm a big SlowMo fan. Jersey hooper.

His defense is very good. High awareness on D. Smart player all around. I wouldn't say elite, but I'd def say very good defender. Gets you a steal and a block a game... elite passing skills. He lowkey would make a lot of sense for the Knicks. I'd try to get him.

That's good to hear as I was a fan of his in college but I haven't watched him with the Spurs. Do you consider him a 3 or small ball 4?

He can play either. Not the best rebounder though.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
Mecca
RealGM

Post#844 » by Mecca » Tue Jan 9, 2018 4:25 pm

eagle54 wrote:They never give us a first round. They want to trade shump and frye, maybe a second round but never a first.
The gap between GSW and Cavs is important, I think Lee and KOQ didn't allow to help the cavs in finals. So they never give a pick if a trade can't change the Finales.

Yeah good look getting better player than Lee or KOQ with the 26th pick in the draft as your trade tool. Newsflash, you won’t.
Brooklyn Nets
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#845 » by newyorker4ever » Tue Jan 9, 2018 9:04 pm

Knicks playing with fire with this mediocrity.

https://www.chatsports.com/new-york-knicks/a/source/schmeelk-knicks-are-playing-with-fire-with-this-mediocrity-14227131

On Sunday night, the Knicks beat the Dallas Mavericks. It was a big victory during a small stretch of winnable games before the team departs on a five game West Coast trip.

If the Knicks want to stay afloat in the race for a playoff spot, beating teams like the Mavericks is a must.

Yet watching the game Sunday, with the team close to the halfway point of the season, it was hard not to think about whether the Knicks are heading toward the worst-case scenario in their long-term development. Right now the Knicks sit in 10th place in the Eastern Conference, two games in the loss column out of a playoff spot. If the draft took place today, the Knicks would slide into the 13th spot in the lottery.

The Knicks might be just good enough to make the playoffs, but if they don’t they likely won’t get enough ping pong balls in the lottery to eventually snag a true impact player. Before the season started this was always the thing they wanted to avoid, and something the front office needed to do its best to avoid at all costs.

What makes this scenario worse is that the Knicks are in this position while playing most of their veterans fairly significant minutes. Jarrett Jack is still the starting point guard and most nights he is playing more minutes than rookie Frank Ntilikina. Courtney Lee plays 30-plus minutes a game. Kyle O’Quinn and Enes Kanter split the center minutes despite the fact that both will soon be free agents. Doug McDermott is the first or second player off the bench, but will likely not be tendered this offseason. Lance Thomas and Michael Beasley (before his injury) were also splitting fairly major minutes.

The only young players playing any sort of consistent minutes are Kristaps Porzingis and Ntilikina. That will change when Tim Hardaway Jr. returns, and it will also send another youngster, Ron Baker, to the bench. Willy Hernangomez and Damyean Dotson, despite each having a lot of promise, are not in the rotation. Ramon Sessions still has a roster spot despite 25-year-old Trey Burke tearing it up at Westchester in the G-League.

All of this is not head coach Jeff Hornacek’s fault, of course. He is playing the guys he believes will win the team the most games. That’s his job as head coach. It is the job of the front office to put the team in the right place to maximize its long-term success. The Knicks were never about this season. Is there some value to getting the eighth seed and getting whacked by the Cavaliers or Celtics in the first round of the playoffs? Maybe. But the chance of getting that small value should be dwarfed by the opportunity to get another good player alongside Porzingis to build around.

It’s the job of the front office to recognize this and make the appropriate moves before the Feb. 8 trade deadline. Between now and then the Knicks play 15 games, including 10 on the road. Over their last nine games, which featured seven away from Madison Square Garden, the Knicks have won just twice. If they continue on that pace, they’ll win three or four of their next 15, which would put them somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 games below .500.

If they sit in that kind of dangerous vicinity (I would argue the red flags should come out five games under .500 or worse) and continue to struggle the way they have, Scott Perry needs to sell. Kanter, O’Quinn, Lee, Thomas, and Beasley would all need to be on the block.

Lee has legitimate value when you take his skill and contract into consideration. Thomas might be a useful bench player to give a playoff team 10 minutes a night. Kanter would help teams in need of a big to play 20 minutes a game, but his contract makes trading him prohibitive. O’Quinn could possibly net a conditional second-round pick. Beasley would be a virtual giveaway.

The Knicks are far better off playing their young players and finding out what they have. If New York continues to win and makes a playoff run because the young players are good enough that portends well for the future. If the Knicks lose a lot of games and improve their draft position, that’s fine, too.

What isn’t fine is keeping young players glued to the bench, finishing just out of the playoffs and having a draft pick in the early teens. That is the ultimate nightmare scenario. It’s Perry’s and Steve Mills’ job to make sure that doesn’t happen.
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#846 » by Knicksfan20 » Tue Jan 9, 2018 9:40 pm

Start trading dudes.
Zingod
Rookie
And1: 895

Post#847 » by Zingod » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:26 am

Baker or McDermott for Hezonja?
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,941

Post#848 » by KnicksGadfly » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:35 pm

Mecca wrote:
eagle54 wrote:They never give us a first round. They want to trade shump and frye, maybe a second round but never a first.

Yeah good look getting better player than Lee or KOQ with the 26th pick in the draft as your trade tool. Newsflash, you won’t.

Sounds smart, but wrong. Hell, the Knicks have had some success drafting around that area in the past. Warriors have too. Kyle Kuzma has been nice. Jordan Bell looks good. There's always somebody that falls. You could make a case that the Knicks are not as good as drafting as other teams or developing players---fair. But low picks have value.

In addition, your analysis ignores what we might do with extra cap space. I'd say that Lee is replaceable. We might not get as good as a 3&D players as he is, but we could get a passable one at a passable price. Kyle O Quinn is replaceable. Most lumbering centers have no place in today's NBA, especially when it's playoff time. All you gotta do is carry one or two brutes for special circumstances, but on the whole, no, they're not that necessary. Dump those players, give me some shots in the draft.
digitaldropoff
Starter
And1: 520

Post#849 » by digitaldropoff » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:42 pm

Mecca wrote:

They wouldn't Lee purely for cap reasons going forward. They are already play a similar player slightly more, no reason to add more of the same while already being right against the cap. KOQ is alright, and they do need another big man. However, with or without LBJ next season, they need a cheap contract. A late first round pick is that. Their cap is so bloated, that even if LBJ leaves, they'll still be right up against it because they'll have to resign IT. Unless the Knicks are interested in expirings for expirings, I don't think the Cavs would be down. Even if they need another big.....Koby has to think about the future.
FixTheKnicks
Freshman
And1: 30

Knicks/Hornets/Lakers 

Post#850 » by FixTheKnicks » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:52 pm

Knicks Acquire:

K. Walker
M. Kidd-Gilchrist
J. Randle

Hornets Acquire:

F. Ntilikina
W. Hernangomez
J. Clarkson
D. Dotson
R. Sessions
R. Baker
J. Jack
L. Thomas
Knicks 2018 1st

Lakers Acquire:

K. O’Quinn
M. Carter-Williams
Knicks 2018 2nd

Knicks currently sit at 9th and are playing more like a 6th-8th seed in the east than a lottery team. They give KP an all-star caliber PG to help take the load off. Randle can come off the bench backing up both KP and Kanter for now and Kidd-Gilchrist helps to open up the floor playing on the wing. Team gives up their rookie and a future first but remains young while becoming a team that can make some noise in the playoffs.

Hornets get a 1st rounder, last years lottery pick and W. Hernangomez as the main assets in the haul. They also add Clarkson who with a new team may greatly benefit. Some of the players acquired are also cuttable such as Jack and Sessions.

Lakers shed Clarksons contract to prepare for free agency at the cost of trading Randle who probably doesn’t fit into their plans anyways. They also get a draft pick in return.
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Re: Knicks/Hornets/Lakers 

Post#851 » by King of Canada » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:53 pm

Merging with the trade thread
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,898

Post#852 » by GONYK » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:54 pm

FixTheKnicks wrote:Knicks Acquire:

K. Walker
M. Kidd-Gilchrist
J. Randle

Hornets Acquire:

F. Ntilikina
W. Hernangomez
J. Clarkson
D. Dotson
R. Sessions
R. Baker
J. Jack
L. Thomas
Knicks 2018 1st

Lakers Acquire:

K. O’Quinn
M. Carter-Williams
Knicks 2018 2nd

Knicks currently sit at 9th and are playing more like a 6th-8th seed in the east than a lottery team. They give KP an all-star caliber PG to help take the load off. Randle can come off the bench backing up both KP and Kanter for now and Kidd-Gilchrist helps to open up the floor playing on the wing. Team gives up their rookie and a future first but remains young while becoming a team that can make some noise in the playoffs.

Hornets get a 1st rounder, last years lottery pick and W. Hernangomez as the main assets in the haul. They also add Clarkson who with a new team may greatly benefit. Some of the players acquired are also cuttable such as Jack and Sessions.

Lakers shed Clarksons contract to prepare for free agency at the cost of trading Randle who probably doesn’t fit into their plans anyways. They also get a draft pick in return.

Here is the trade ideas thread: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1617560

Put your ideas there.

Thanks
FixTheKnicks
Freshman
And1: 30

Post#853 » by FixTheKnicks » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:58 pm

Knicks Acquire:

K. Walker
M. Kidd-Gilchrist
J. Randle

Hornets Acquire:

F. Ntilikina
W. Hernangomez
J. Clarkson
D. Dotson
R. Sessions
R. Baker
J. Jack
L. Thomas
Knicks 2018 1st

Lakers Acquire:

K. O’Quinn
M. Carter-Williams
Knicks 2018 2nd

seren
RealGM
And1: 4,203

Post#854 » by seren » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:59 pm

K. Walker
M. Kidd-Gilchrist
J. Randle

Hornets Acquire:

F. Ntilikina
W. Hernangomez
J. Clarkson
D. Dotson
R. Sessions
R. Baker
J. Jack
L. Thomas
Knicks 2018 1st

Lakers Acquire:

K. O’Quinn
M. Carter-Williams
Knicks 2018 2nd

Isiah, is that you?
Mecca
RealGM

Post#855 » by Mecca » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:08 pm

K. Walker
M. Kidd-Gilchrist
J. Randle

Hornets Acquire:

F. Ntilikina
W. Hernangomez
J. Clarkson
D. Dotson
R. Sessions
R. Baker
J. Jack
L. Thomas
Knicks 2018 1st

Lakers Acquire:

K. O’Quinn
M. Carter-Williams
Knicks 2018 2nd

Stop making trades Isiah.
Brooklyn Nets
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,691

Post#856 » by Knicksfan1992 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:11 pm

I'd take a flier on Winslow for Hernangomez with that report coming out that Miami is trying to move him. I think Winslow is more talented than Willy but he just can't shoot. I wasn't in love with Justise coming out but I thought he could turn into a productive 2 way guy given the right fit. Also could help us become more uptempo on offense.
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#857 » by King of Canada » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:21 pm

Capn'O wrote:The respective Wiretap headlines of:

Heat Optimistic Of Ability To Trade Expensive Contracts

Heat Uninterested In Considering Goran Dragic Trade

Make me a little uneasy.

I can't see who would take any of those guys off their hands (the Johnson twins and Waiters). Maybe Winslow has enough value left that a team like the Nets would take him in a contract dump (and add another player to their 15 draft collection).

The Heat do seem to have a knack for quickly becoming a lotto contender. I see them moving Dragic too if that's the case,
BAF Pacers

Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,504

Post#858 » by Capn'O » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:24 pm

King of Canada wrote:

Heat Optimistic Of Ability To Trade Expensive Contracts

Heat Uninterested In Considering Goran Dragic Trade

Make me a little uneasy.

I can't see who would take any of those guys off their hands (the Johnson twins and Waiters). Maybe Winslow has enough value left that a team like the Nets would take him in a contract dump (and add another player to their 15 draft collection).

The Heat do seem to have a knack for quickly becoming a lotto contender. I see them moving Dragic too if that's the case,

I read it wrong - I thought they were looking to trade him.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#859 » by King of Canada » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:25 pm

Capn'O wrote:
King of Canada wrote:

Make me a little uneasy.

Not sure why they'd want to hang onto him if they are wanting to dump contracts. It's not like he's the player to build around. I guess he's on a decent contract though.

I guess I'm not very optimistic that the Heat can pull it together. :lol:
BAF Pacers

Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,504

Post#860 » by Capn'O » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:30 pm

King of Canada wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
King of Canada wrote:

Not sure why they'd want to hang onto him if they are wanting to dump contracts. It's not like he's the player to build around. I guess he's on a decent contract though.

I guess I'm not very optimistic that the Heat can pull it together. :lol:

Yeah - that's what my head was doing. I saw the first headline and linked us to Dragic in the second.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:

Return to New York Knicks