ImageImageImageImageImage

OT any of you investing in Cryptocurrencies?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,433

Re: OT any of you investing in Crypto? 

Post#301 » by RHODEY » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:48 pm

Sark wrote:https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/10/buffett-says-cyrptocurrencies-will-almost-certainly-end-badly.html

Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#302 » by Knicksfan1992 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:54 pm

Earl the Pearl wrote:
Da_Mane_Man wrote:
Earl the Pearl wrote:Started earlier last year and tripled my investments also.I pulled my original investment with a little profit and used the rest to buy more alt coins. From Thursday till Monday ,I've doubled my coin value because of the weekend alt coin upward movement. Atl coin investment requires patience(Hodl) and research/reading. Do not listen to anyone telling you what to buy without having some idea about what you're putting your money into. There are a lot of people advertising coins to get people to invest and a lot of it is worthless.Called pump and dump. My philosphy on coins is to read and understand the coins purpose and potential for the future.If it has neither,don't invest.

Do you have any trusted sources where you read/research? Or do you just go on the coin's individual site?

Here's alist of what I use:
Crytopanic pro version-news and info
onchainfx-details of crypto movement
icobench-background info on ico's
eveningstar.io- Someone on reddit refered to this site as morningstar for crypto. That's better than I can explain it.

Remember if it doesn't make sense to you and has no real purpose,it's probably a ****. In my opinion,most of these coins are going to fall by the wayside.What you should be focused on is the underlying tech(platform) and who wants it. The banks don't want the coins,they want the tech the coins are built on. Same for Business and Govt. Watch for the regulation coming that will thin out the market.If you daytrade,which is risky and not for me-Buy on the rumour, sell on the news.

You're past 2 posts on this seem like excellent advice and an easy way to follow what's going on with crypto. Really great stuff in a condensed manner. Thanks for this :nod:
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#303 » by Sprewell4Three » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:06 pm

The market is down again today
SH0KASE
Junior
And1: 434

Post#304 » by SH0KASE » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:45 am

finally registered on binance now just need to upload pic add funds and start randomely buying coins based on no concrete knowledge of how any of this works.
IAmTheBest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,803

Post#305 » by IAmTheBest » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:05 am

SH0KASE wrote:finally registered on binance now just need to upload pic add funds and start randomely buying coins based on no concrete knowledge of how any of this works.

it's safer to buy your ethereum/bitcoin in coinbase and then transfer those to binance and then buy

or at least do your research and make sure you feel safe enough with binance
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant
And1: 839

Post#306 » by earthmansurfer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:02 pm

[quote="IAmTheBest"][/quote]

I couldn't PM you as it looks like you might have inadvertently disabled it. But you said I could reply to you here. This is in reference to the below named coins and where to invest. Here goes

Hey Beast ;-)

I don'T know about AION or Dragoncoin or Wanchain (but have heard good things about them.). I know little about Ark (used to have some actually). I think when you are going to compare you need to consider, amongst other things the market cap of each and the market (of course - you probably know this.)

To me, ICON is really a sleeping giant because it is going to not only be a block chain platform, but it is going to interconnect blockchains all over using their Loop chain tech. (Companies AND fields, such as medical, legal, etc. can have their own blockchains and interact with other blockchains - I think ARK is going a bit in this direction.) This will open the GLOBAL market for them. Remember now, these cryptos have value, in part, because of the network affect. (which gives Facebook value, your cell phone value, etc. As the network grows, so does the value - consider that when deciding. This, btw, is a great way to explain something like BTC to others when they ask "But why does it have value?" Simple answer - because lots and lots of people use it. It doesn't have to be backed by anything, it can be purely utility - or speculation for that matter.) So, look into those companies you mentioned and think about their future market growth. I have not heard of anyone doing what ICON is going to do. Maybe NEO to a point because of the government connections and amazing tech.

And also consider, as just stated, the government connections ICON has, and of course the Peoples of S. Korea. They are CRAZY for tech (and the old establishment is having a hard time with that - check todays news. Exchanges "raided" to check on ID and such.) Now, bad things, unpredictable things, can happen being that they have N. Korea as a neighbor, but outside of that, I see ICON as literally a can't miss project, 10X from here imo. The ones you mentioned are most likely smaller caps, which could have more upside % wise, though less market cap in the end. You can always spread your risk, put it in based on what your goals, risks, etc. are.

As others have said, be really careful accepting advice here, but I'm being honest and hope, if nothing else, you all investigate things for yourself. When you really believe in something and it goes up, is successful, etc. you will feel like you took part in it (as opposed to just a good stock tip, per se.) I don't mean that to tell anyone what to do, just my perspective and I'm being careful as the laws here might really affect the price going forward - though up will be the direction regardless imo.

Good luck to you, this is going to be an interesting year, volatile in every direction. The old fighting the new and on and on.

EMS

ps - This was not investment advice, just a perspective.
bigfnjoe96
General Manager
And1: 3,948

Post#307 » by bigfnjoe96 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:11 pm

IAmTheBest
Sixth Man

Post#308 » by IAmTheBest » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:22 pm

earthmansurfer wrote:
IAmTheBest wrote:

I couldn't PM you as it looks like you might have inadvertently disabled it. But you said I could reply to you here. This is in reference to the below named coins and where to invest. Here goes

Hey Beast ;-)

I don'T know about AION or Dragoncoin or Wanchain (but have heard good things about them.). I know little about Ark (used to have some actually). I think when you are going to compare you need to consider, amongst other things the market cap of each and the market (of course - you probably know this.)

To me, ICON is really a sleeping giant because it is going to not only be a block chain platform, but it is going to interconnect blockchains all over using their Loop chain tech. (Companies AND fields, such as medical, legal, etc. can have their own blockchains and interact with other blockchains - I think ARK is going a bit in this direction.) This will open the GLOBAL market for them. Remember now, these cryptos have value, in part, because of the network affect. (which gives Facebook value, your cell phone value, etc. As the network grows, so does the value - consider that when deciding. This, btw, is a great way to explain something like BTC to others when they ask "But why does it have value?" Simple answer - because lots and lots of people use it. It doesn't have to be backed by anything, it can be purely utility - or speculation for that matter.) So, look into those companies you mentioned and think about their future market growth. I have not heard of anyone doing what ICON is going to do. Maybe NEO to a point because of the government connections and amazing tech.

And also consider, as just stated, the government connections ICON has, and of course the Peoples of S. Korea. They are CRAZY for tech (and the old establishment is having a hard time with that - check todays news. Exchanges "raided" to check on ID and such.) Now, bad things, unpredictable things, can happen being that they have N. Korea as a neighbor, but outside of that, I see ICON as literally a can't miss project, 10X from here imo. The ones you mentioned are most likely smaller caps, which could have more upside % wise, though less market cap in the end. You can always spread your risk, put it in based on what your goals, risks, etc. are.

As others have said, be really careful accepting advice here, but I'm being honest and hope, if nothing else, you all investigate things for yourself. When you really believe in something and it goes up, is successful, etc. you will feel like you took part in it (as opposed to just a good stock tip, per se.) I don't mean that to tell anyone what to do, just my perspective and I'm being careful as the laws here might really affect the price going forward - though up will be the direction regardless imo.

Good luck to you, this is going to be an interesting year, volatile in every direction. The old fighting the new and on and on.

EMS

Thanks for the reply man

AION and Wanchain actually formed an alliance with ICON, which is why I am very intrigued with them, especially AION since it's north american based (Wanchain is chinese and I'm hesitant when it comes to entities under the sphere of the chinese government, although there is still a lot of potential in China)

https://medium.com/helloiconworld/blockchain-interoperability-alliance-icon-x-aion-x-wanchain-8aeaafb3ebdd

The reason for the alliance is that, although there are a few nuanced differences, they have very overlapping goals.

AION's market cap is only half a billion, and the amount of coins they have (circulating and total) is fewer than ICON and they still command a price of 8 dollars per coin after this overnight crash. I dont think the market is as good as ICON's, which also has the first mover advantage, since Korea is a juggernaut in technology and a huge portion of the population really embraces technology including blockchain, but I still think there is potential considering:
- sub billion market cap
- amount of coins
- good trade volume despite not being on the bigger exchanges like binance (although they are on kucoin atm) - CORRECTION- AIOn is on binance.
- the head of the team is a co-founder of ethereum. also has connections to Canadian government
- and, of course a vision so similar to ICON's that they formed an official alliance

I suspect that this has the potential to explode especially if/when ICON takes off and it gains access to an exchange like Binance.

but yeah I was just contemplating on whether or not to diversify with AION and dragonchain or further strengthen my position in ICON.
IAmTheBest
Sixth Man

Post#309 » by IAmTheBest » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:25 pm

This is a non-story

Korea isnt going to ban it. They are not China, meaning they dont just ban things and even if they wanted to it would take them several months to try and get it through

This article is probably fake news generated so that the government officials could get their piece of the pie by buying discounted cryptocurrency
GettinitDone
Head Coach
And1: 2,920

Post#310 » by GettinitDone » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:40 pm

EnigmatiC wrote:Any good alternatives to coinbase? For some reason it won't let me link my debit card and I really don't wanna wait a week to transfer money from my bank account.

I use:

https://www.independentreserve.com/

Lets you transfer $10000 limit a day after verification (which is quicker than most exchanges). I've been using it after I found same prob with coinbase. I love it, but only lets you buy BTC, ETH, and BCH.
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#311 » by Knicksfan20 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:47 pm

So overall verdict on bitcoin? Buy? Don’t buy?
bigfnjoe96
General Manager
And1: 3,948

Re: RE: Re: OT any of you investing in Crypto? 

Post#312 » by bigfnjoe96 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:01 pm

IAmTheBest wrote:

This is a non-story

Korea isnt going to ban it. They are not China, meaning they dont just ban things and even if they wanted to it would take them several months to try and get it through

This article is probably fake news generated so that the government officials could get their piece of the pie by buying discounted cryptocurrency
If it is fake news it seems to have worked some

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/01/11/bitcoin-ripple-ethereum-prices-fall-after-south-korea-trading-ban-talk.html#ampshare=https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/11/bitcoin-ripple-ethereum-prices-fall-after-south-korea-trading-ban-talk.html

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Fortune55
Junior
And1: 176

Post#313 » by Fortune55 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:27 pm

earthmansurfer wrote:
IAmTheBest wrote:

Hey Beast ;-)

EMS

I’m a believer of icon but I’m still new to this. Feels like I’m processing so much information every night on crypto. Do u have any advice or a guideline on buying icon? Like what exchange is available on and stuff
In the words of J.R. Smith "Get Chicks or Die Trying"
NEW YORK KNICKS

S.O.S my Knicks
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Re: RE: Re: OT any of you investing in Crypto? 

Post#314 » by E-Balla » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:32 pm

bigfnjoe96 wrote:
IAmTheBest wrote:

This is a non-story

If it is fake news it seems to have worked some

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/01/11/bitcoin-ripple-ethereum-prices-fall-after-south-korea-trading-ban-talk.html#ampshare=https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/11/bitcoin-ripple-ethereum-prices-fall-after-south-korea-trading-ban-talk.html

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

It is fake news. They're shutting down a few illegal exchanges that didn't comply with government requests. The major ones are all staying.
ITGM
RealGM
And1: 7,970

Post#315 » by ITGM » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:07 pm

Knicksfan20 wrote:So overall verdict on bitcoin? Buy? Don’t buy?

ZKnicks
Junior
And1: 276

Post#316 » by ZKnicks » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:27 pm

Question for anyone who has been doing this a while.
Best wallet to use?
Ledger Nano seems to be sold out til March. That is on their page as well as amazon. There are some available on amazon, but I am not buying from some random person with no reviews etc...
Trezor is available, but they are about $160 through their website.

Anyone use keepkey or coolwallet? I am leaning toward just ordering a Trezor, but wanted to see if there were any other thoughts here.
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant

Post#317 » by earthmansurfer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:53 pm

IAmTheBest wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
IAmTheBest wrote:

Hey Beast ;-)

EMS

Thanks for the reply man

AION and Wanchain actually formed an alliance with ICON, which is why I am very intrigued with them, especially AION since it's north american based (Wanchain is chinese and I'm hesitant when it comes to entities under the sphere of the chinese government, although there is still a lot of potential in China)

https://medium.com/helloiconworld/blockchain-interoperability-alliance-icon-x-aion-x-wanchain-8aeaafb3ebdd

The reason for the alliance is that, although there are a few nuanced differences, they have very overlapping goals.

AION's market cap is only half a billion, and the amount of coins they have (circulating and total) is fewer than ICON and they still command a price of 8 dollars per coin after this overnight crash. I dont think the market is as good as ICON's, which also has the first mover advantage, since Korea is a juggernaut in technology and a huge portion of the population really embraces technology including blockchain, but I still think there is potential considering:
- sub billion market cap
- amount of coins
- good trade volume despite not being on the bigger exchanges like binance (although they are on kucoin atm) - CORRECTION- AIOn is on binance.
- the head of the team is a co-founder of ethereum. also has connections to Canadian government
- and, of course a vision so similar to ICON's that they formed an official alliance

I suspect that this has the potential to explode especially if/when ICON takes off and it gains access to an exchange like Binance.

but yeah I was just contemplating on whether or not to diversify with AION and dragonchain or further strengthen my position in ICON.

Thanks for the information. If ICON signed up with them, that is a good sign. (And I'm not saying that to pump ICON, rather one of the creators said they are being approached by many many companies and are selective with their partnerships.)

My positions are pretty much set, not really looking for other companies. If I see the next ICON (or ICO coin that has under the radar potential) I would invest, but for now I am taking a bit of a break from crypto researching (relative to the past.)

Some ideas with what I mean about ground breaking:

You tell me what you think (If you want). I got in this ICO and it has started to move. Look into IXT (IXLedger) as it is in the insurance and re-insurance industry and "block chaining" it. I can't find much honestly, but this is an example of a niche where the first company in can really explode. The companies you mentioned appear very legit, IXT, I honestly don't know. Not anywhere the team of ICON or those companies you mentioned but, it does look like the field they are in can explode. Not a suggestion to by,
high risk here, but high rewards.
https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/ixledger/
https://www.ixledger.com/

I do LOVE Power Ledger, that is another great example of a niche (reselling solar energy). Their ICO has really exploded, but they are still relatively low priced considering their industry.

EMS
Fortune55
Junior

Post#318 » by Fortune55 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:55 pm

ZKnicks wrote:Question for anyone who has been doing this a while.
Best wallet to use?
Ledger Nano seems to be sold out til March. That is on their page as well as amazon. There are some available on amazon, but I am not buying from some random person with no reviews etc...
Trezor is available, but they are about $160 through their website.

Anyone use keepkey or coolwallet? I am leaning toward just ordering a Trezor, but wanted to see if there were any other thoughts here.

I was wondering about this too. So your supposed to take ur coin out of the exchange and save it on a device like this to keep it secure? Anyone got a good YouTube tutorial on how this works?
NEW YORK KNICKS

S.O.S my Knicks
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant

Post#319 » by earthmansurfer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:56 pm

Fortune55 wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
IAmTheBest wrote:

Hey Beast ;-)

EMS

I’m a believer of icon but I’m still new to this. Feels like I’m processing so much information every night on crypto. Do u have any advice or a guideline on buying icon? Like what exchange is available on and stuff

Buy it on Binance if you have an account there. If not, just by via the other exchanges they are on.
https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/icon/#markets

It is an ERC20 token (meaning it is on Ethereum). But the main chain will go live on the 24th and at some point after that you will have the option to get the real coins. Get yourself a Ledger or Trezor hardware wallet. You can use either with many coins and all ERC20 tokens on https://www.myetherwallet.com/
Hopefully the coins will still be able to be secured with a hardware wallet on the new blockchain.

Good luck,
EMS
Fortune55
Junior

Post#320 » by Fortune55 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:08 pm

earthmansurfer wrote:
Fortune55 wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:

Hey Beast ;-)

EMS

Buy it on Binance if you have an account there. If not, just by via the other exchanges they are on.
https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/icon/#markets

It is an ERC20 token (meaning it is on Ethereum). But the main chain will go live on the 24th and at some point after that you will have the option to get the real coins. Get yourself a Ledger or Trezor hardware wallet. You can use either with many coins and all ERC20 tokens on https://www.myetherwallet.com/
Hopefully the coins will still be able to be secured with a hardware wallet on the new blockchain.

Good luck,
EMS

Sorry for all the questions been doing my own research but I’ll takw some quick answers anyway that I can to save time. So I’m purchasing some icon this weekend. And since Icon is on ERC20 when they go live will anything happen to the token? Will anything be changing? That’s what I’m a little confused about. Thanks for all the help.
NEW YORK KNICKS

S.O.S my Knicks

Return to New York Knicks