ImageImageImageImageImage

OT any of you investing in Cryptocurrencies?

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,876

Re: OT any of you investing in Crypto? 

Post#321 » by Jose7 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:52 pm

XRP on the up and up again.. anyone research medilbloc?
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
St Knick
Bench Warmer
And1: 142

Post#322 » by St Knick » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:05 pm

Advice for Crypto noobs = don't believe everything you read online. Especially articles from mainstream sources like CNBC, CNN, etc. Those firmly entrenched in old school financial circles (banks, govt, all the cottage industries that build around them) have a vested interest in seeing cytpocurrences NOT success. they will throw fake news out there, and many other advanced techniques (similar to what allegedly is going on with the russians, the elections, etc).

you really gotta do your homework. read many reddit forums. listen to bitcoin evangelists liek andreas antonopolous. avoid conmen like Roger Ver (Bitcoin Cash guy). learn to come to your own conclusions.

heck, don't listen to me... verify for yourselves.

hard? yup
tedious? you bet!
necessary in today's environment? absolutely
KNICKS FAN FOR LIFE
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,396
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#323 » by E-Balla » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:25 pm

Oh yeah have to mention... If any of y'all have Bitcoin Cash sell and don't buy again. Its the biggest **** scam...
IAmTheBest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,803

Post#324 » by IAmTheBest » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:25 pm

earthmansurfer wrote:
IAmTheBest wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
I couldn't PM you as it looks like you might have inadvertently disabled it. But you said I could reply to you here. This is in reference to the below named coins and where to invest. Here goes

Hey Beast ;-)

I don'T know about AION or Dragoncoin or Wanchain (but have heard good things about them.). I know little about Ark (used to have some actually). I think when you are going to compare you need to consider, amongst other things the market cap of each and the market (of course - you probably know this.)

To me, ICON is really a sleeping giant because it is going to not only be a block chain platform, but it is going to interconnect blockchains all over using their Loop chain tech. (Companies AND fields, such as medical, legal, etc. can have their own blockchains and interact with other blockchains - I think ARK is going a bit in this direction.) This will open the GLOBAL market for them. Remember now, these cryptos have value, in part, because of the network affect. (which gives Facebook value, your cell phone value, etc. As the network grows, so does the value - consider that when deciding. This, btw, is a great way to explain something like BTC to others when they ask "But why does it have value?" Simple answer - because lots and lots of people use it. It doesn't have to be backed by anything, it can be purely utility - or speculation for that matter.) So, look into those companies you mentioned and think about their future market growth. I have not heard of anyone doing what ICON is going to do. Maybe NEO to a point because of the government connections and amazing tech.

And also consider, as just stated, the government connections ICON has, and of course the Peoples of S. Korea. They are CRAZY for tech (and the old establishment is having a hard time with that - check todays news. Exchanges "raided" to check on ID and such.) Now, bad things, unpredictable things, can happen being that they have N. Korea as a neighbor, but outside of that, I see ICON as literally a can't miss project, 10X from here imo. The ones you mentioned are most likely smaller caps, which could have more upside % wise, though less market cap in the end. You can always spread your risk, put it in based on what your goals, risks, etc. are.

As others have said, be really careful accepting advice here, but I'm being honest and hope, if nothing else, you all investigate things for yourself. When you really believe in something and it goes up, is successful, etc. you will feel like you took part in it (as opposed to just a good stock tip, per se.) I don't mean that to tell anyone what to do, just my perspective and I'm being careful as the laws here might really affect the price going forward - though up will be the direction regardless imo.

Good luck to you, this is going to be an interesting year, volatile in every direction. The old fighting the new and on and on.

EMS

ps - This was not investment advice, just a perspective.

Thanks for the reply man

AION and Wanchain actually formed an alliance with ICON, which is why I am very intrigued with them, especially AION since it's north american based (Wanchain is chinese and I'm hesitant when it comes to entities under the sphere of the chinese government, although there is still a lot of potential in China)

https://medium.com/helloiconworld/blockchain-interoperability-alliance-icon-x-aion-x-wanchain-8aeaafb3ebdd

The reason for the alliance is that, although there are a few nuanced differences, they have very overlapping goals.

AION's market cap is only half a billion, and the amount of coins they have (circulating and total) is fewer than ICON and they still command a price of 8 dollars per coin after this overnight crash. I dont think the market is as good as ICON's, which also has the first mover advantage, since Korea is a juggernaut in technology and a huge portion of the population really embraces technology including blockchain, but I still think there is potential considering:
- sub billion market cap
- amount of coins
- good trade volume despite not being on the bigger exchanges like binance (although they are on kucoin atm) - CORRECTION- AIOn is on binance.
- the head of the team is a co-founder of ethereum. also has connections to Canadian government
- and, of course a vision so similar to ICON's that they formed an official alliance

I suspect that this has the potential to explode especially if/when ICON takes off and it gains access to an exchange like Binance.

but yeah I was just contemplating on whether or not to diversify with AION and dragonchain or further strengthen my position in ICON.

Thanks for the information. If ICON signed up with them, that is a good sign. (And I'm not saying that to pump ICON, rather one of the creators said they are being approached by many many companies and are selective with their partnerships.)

My positions are pretty much set, not really looking for other companies. If I see the next ICON (or ICO coin that has under the radar potential) I would invest, but for now I am taking a bit of a break from crypto researching (relative to the past.)

Some ideas with what I mean about ground breaking:

You tell me what you think (If you want). I got in this ICO and it has started to move. Look into IXT (IXLedger) as it is in the insurance and re-insurance industry and "block chaining" it. I can't find much honestly, but this is an example of a niche where the first company in can really explode. The companies you mentioned appear very legit, IXT, I honestly don't know. Not anywhere the team of ICON or those companies you mentioned but, it does look like the field they are in can explode. Not a suggestion to by,
high risk here, but high rewards.
https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/ixledger/
https://www.ixledger.com/

I do LOVE Power Ledger, that is another great example of a niche (reselling solar energy). Their ICO has really exploded, but they are still relatively low priced considering their industry.

EMS

I like the way you think. POWR is in my portfolio as well, which is why I was asking about Grid+ a few pages back

I'm gonna get some more ICON tonight to buy the dip lol. maybe ill finally pull the trigger on AION

I will definitely tell you what I think about IXT when I get home and get access to my computer. Unfortunately I have never gotten in when projects were in infancy, so I am eager to read about IXT thanks for that.
Fortune55
Junior
And1: 176

Post#325 » by Fortune55 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:54 am

Probably the best thread in the knicks section besides the one with the big booty b*tches. Cuz the knicks suck @$$ right now.
In the words of J.R. Smith "Get Chicks or Die Trying"
NEW YORK KNICKS

S.O.S my Knicks
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,062

Post#326 » by RHODEY » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:07 am

Fortune55 wrote:Probably the best thread in the knicks section besides the one with the big booty b*tches. Cuz the knicks suck @$$ right now.

I never expected it to turn into this..
Fortune55
Junior
And1: 176

Post#327 » by Fortune55 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:33 am

RHODEY wrote:
Fortune55 wrote:Probably the best thread in the knicks section besides the one with the big booty b*tches. Cuz the knicks suck @$$ right now.

I never expected it to turn into this..

Yeah..... idk I feel like people are super lazy now a days. No one knows where crypto will go including myself, but it seems like many people don’t even want to bother to look into what the big deal is about. Like many said this reminds them of when the internet was first started. My friends and I were downloading music, dubbing play station and dream cast games, and a whole bunch of sh*t while people were just starting to get on the internet.
When kodi came out people didn’t want to look at a 15 minute tutorial to learn how to set it up instead they offered to pay me $150 bucks. I really hope crypto is the same where Lazy people is just behind like usual. Cause man I was to young to invest in amazon, Facebook and stuff. I’m hoping crypto is the real deal cause I do see the bigger picture. I wish everyone luck. My accounting job ain’t cutting it.
In the words of J.R. Smith "Get Chicks or Die Trying"
NEW YORK KNICKS

S.O.S my Knicks
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#328 » by reub » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:39 am

If you're getting your information on investing from a sports forum site you're just asking for trouble.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#329 » by Mecca » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:27 am

EnigmatiC wrote:Any good alternatives to coinbase? For some reason it won't let me link my debit card and I really don't wanna wait a week to transfer money from my bank account.

It did the same thing to me. Now it won't send me my SMS confirmation smh
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
13ringsruling
Senior
And1: 264

Post#330 » by 13ringsruling » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:22 am

hoping i can pay off whatever debts i have come this time next year and maybe put a downpayment on a house. thats all im asking for out of xrp, ada, and xlm.
Da_Mane_Man
General Manager
And1: 1,590

Post#331 » by Da_Mane_Man » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:10 am

earthmansurfer wrote:
IAmTheBest wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
I couldn't PM you as it looks like you might have inadvertently disabled it. But you said I could reply to you here. This is in reference to the below named coins and where to invest. Here goes

Hey Beast ;-)

I don'T know about AION or Dragoncoin or Wanchain (but have heard good things about them.). I know little about Ark (used to have some actually). I think when you are going to compare you need to consider, amongst other things the market cap of each and the market (of course - you probably know this.)

To me, ICON is really a sleeping giant because it is going to not only be a block chain platform, but it is going to interconnect blockchains all over using their Loop chain tech. (Companies AND fields, such as medical, legal, etc. can have their own blockchains and interact with other blockchains - I think ARK is going a bit in this direction.) This will open the GLOBAL market for them. Remember now, these cryptos have value, in part, because of the network affect. (which gives Facebook value, your cell phone value, etc. As the network grows, so does the value - consider that when deciding. This, btw, is a great way to explain something like BTC to others when they ask "But why does it have value?" Simple answer - because lots and lots of people use it. It doesn't have to be backed by anything, it can be purely utility - or speculation for that matter.) So, look into those companies you mentioned and think about their future market growth. I have not heard of anyone doing what ICON is going to do. Maybe NEO to a point because of the government connections and amazing tech.

And also consider, as just stated, the government connections ICON has, and of course the Peoples of S. Korea. They are CRAZY for tech (and the old establishment is having a hard time with that - check todays news. Exchanges "raided" to check on ID and such.) Now, bad things, unpredictable things, can happen being that they have N. Korea as a neighbor, but outside of that, I see ICON as literally a can't miss project, 10X from here imo. The ones you mentioned are most likely smaller caps, which could have more upside % wise, though less market cap in the end. You can always spread your risk, put it in based on what your goals, risks, etc. are.

As others have said, be really careful accepting advice here, but I'm being honest and hope, if nothing else, you all investigate things for yourself. When you really believe in something and it goes up, is successful, etc. you will feel like you took part in it (as opposed to just a good stock tip, per se.) I don't mean that to tell anyone what to do, just my perspective and I'm being careful as the laws here might really affect the price going forward - though up will be the direction regardless imo.

Good luck to you, this is going to be an interesting year, volatile in every direction. The old fighting the new and on and on.

EMS

ps - This was not investment advice, just a perspective.

Thanks for the reply man

AION and Wanchain actually formed an alliance with ICON, which is why I am very intrigued with them, especially AION since it's north american based (Wanchain is chinese and I'm hesitant when it comes to entities under the sphere of the chinese government, although there is still a lot of potential in China)

https://medium.com/helloiconworld/blockchain-interoperability-alliance-icon-x-aion-x-wanchain-8aeaafb3ebdd

The reason for the alliance is that, although there are a few nuanced differences, they have very overlapping goals.

AION's market cap is only half a billion, and the amount of coins they have (circulating and total) is fewer than ICON and they still command a price of 8 dollars per coin after this overnight crash. I dont think the market is as good as ICON's, which also has the first mover advantage, since Korea is a juggernaut in technology and a huge portion of the population really embraces technology including blockchain, but I still think there is potential considering:
- sub billion market cap
- amount of coins
- good trade volume despite not being on the bigger exchanges like binance (although they are on kucoin atm) - CORRECTION- AIOn is on binance.
- the head of the team is a co-founder of ethereum. also has connections to Canadian government
- and, of course a vision so similar to ICON's that they formed an official alliance

I suspect that this has the potential to explode especially if/when ICON takes off and it gains access to an exchange like Binance.

but yeah I was just contemplating on whether or not to diversify with AION and dragonchain or further strengthen my position in ICON.

Thanks for the information. If ICON signed up with them, that is a good sign. (And I'm not saying that to pump ICON, rather one of the creators said they are being approached by many many companies and are selective with their partnerships.)

My positions are pretty much set, not really looking for other companies. If I see the next ICON (or ICO coin that has under the radar potential) I would invest, but for now I am taking a bit of a break from crypto researching (relative to the past.)

You tell me what you think (If you want). I got in this ICO and it has started to move. Look into IXT (IXLedger) as it is in the insurance and re-insurance industry and "block chaining" it. I can't find much honestly, but this is an example of a niche where the first company in can really explode. The companies you mentioned appear very legit, IXT, I honestly don't know. Not anywhere the team of ICON or those companies you mentioned but, it does look like the field they are in can explode. Not a suggestion to by,

I do LOVE Power Ledger, that is another great example of a niche (reselling solar energy). Their ICO has really exploded, but they are still relatively low priced considering their industry.

EMS

This sounds so relaxing! I'm leaning that way myself, but all this initial research is overwhelming. I want to narrow my list down to a handful.

Mind sharing what's in your portfolio?
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant
And1: 839

Post#332 » by earthmansurfer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:43 am

Da_Mane_Man wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
IAmTheBest wrote:
Thanks for the reply man

- sub billion market cap
- amount of coins

EMS

This sounds so relaxing! I'm leaning that way myself, but all this initial research is overwhelming. I want to narrow my list down to a handful.

Taking what amounts to a break is a good idea. Just like going to the gym regularly and then having a 2 week pause. You come back stronger, body gets to heal, etc.

My positions, worth mentioning anyway, are:
Bitcoin
Litecoin
Aeternity
EOS
BCH (as BTC Hedge)
NEO
Pivx
IXT
Walton Coin
IOTA
ICON
Power Ledger
OMG
DGB
RaiBlocks (for now)
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant

Post#333 » by earthmansurfer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:44 am

Fortune55 wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
Fortune55 wrote:

I’m a believer of icon but I’m still new to this. Feels like I’m processing so much information every night on crypto. Do u have any advice or a guideline on buying icon? Like what exchange is available on and stuff

Buy it on Binance if you have an account there. If not, just by via the other exchanges they are on.
https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/icon/#markets

It is an ERC20 token (meaning it is on Ethereum). But the main chain will go live on the 24th and at some point after that you will have the option to get the real coins. Get yourself a Ledger or Trezor hardware wallet. You can use either with many coins and all ERC20 tokens on https://www.myetherwallet.com/
Hopefully the coins will still be able to be secured with a hardware wallet on the new blockchain.

Good luck,
EMS

Sorry for all the questions been doing my own research but I’ll takw some quick answers anyway that I can to save time. So I’m purchasing some icon this weekend. And since Icon is on ERC20 when they go live will anything happen to the token? Will anything be changing? That’s what I’m a little confused about. Thanks for all the help.

Better to ask questions than be caught with your pants down (especially when money is involved!)

Yeah, ICON might migrate their erc20 tokens to the main net or they might just let us "map" them there (and hopefully keeping them on our hardware wallets.) We don't really have a 100% answer, but it is looking like you can keep them as erc20 tokens past main net launch. That is all I "know" for now. Good luck.
Da_Mane_Man
General Manager
And1: 1,590

Post#334 » by Da_Mane_Man » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:47 am

earthmansurfer wrote:
Da_Mane_Man wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:

EMS

Taking what amounts to a break is a good idea. Just like going to the gym regularly and then having a 2 week pause. You come back stronger, body gets to heal, etc.

Bitcoin
Litecoin
Aeternity
EOS
BCH (as BTC Hedge)
NEO
Pivx
IXT
Walton Coin
IOTA
ICON
Power Ledger
OMG
DGB
RaiBlocks (for now)

Why "for now"? I actually just bought it today - my first coin! :lol:
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant

Post#335 » by earthmansurfer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:58 am

Da_Mane_Man wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
Da_Mane_Man wrote:

Bitcoin
Litecoin
Aeternity
EOS
BCH (as BTC Hedge)
NEO
Pivx
IXT
Walton Coin
IOTA
ICON
Power Ledger
OMG
DGB
RaiBlocks (for now)

Why "for now"? I actually just bought it today - my first coin! :lol:

I REALLY like Raiblocks. It is a hedge against blockchain, much like IOTA is. But, I do have concerns about how they will deal with spam attacks (they have free transactions, that comes with risks.) IOTA uses and interesting approach (if someone spams them, they are theoretically still helping the network as they must confirm 2 tx's.) I don't doubt that black hatters will be testing XRB's network regarding spam. (And rightfully so, as we are talking about money and it needs to be available 24/7 and not controlled the way companies (e.g. Visa, AE, MC, Paypal, etc.) currently control us, literally.

You do know that State actors have been attacking the Bitcoin network for years, almost non stop, right? Not all of it is bad, they have to see what it can handle. We are talking anti-fragile here, so don't worry, there are some bright bright minds behind the tech.

It is fairly wise to manage risks, even within crypto. e.g. a. As much as I love ICON, we have to think of the politics in the government. b. What happens to Bitcoin if China bans mining?
Both of the above can be overcome, but as you start to build positions, in this field especially, you have to plan for the unexpected and expected (e.g. taxes)

So, be pro-active and careful, keep up on the tech.
foilfence
Junior
And1: 47

Post#336 » by foilfence » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:00 am

anyone hodling Stellar (XLM)?
bigfnjoe96
General Manager
And1: 3,948

Post#337 » by bigfnjoe96 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:04 pm

Waited for some money to clear my account, so I can buy low. Money pops up as everything is up now.

Argghhhh. Ether fell to 10.9 around 7:30 last night, this morning back up to 12.2

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant

Post#338 » by earthmansurfer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:43 pm

E-Balla wrote:Oh yeah have to mention... If any of y'all have Bitcoin Cash sell and don't buy again. Its the biggest **** scam...

I am split on Roger Ver. I think there is some dishonesty involved, and collusion with the Chinese miners. But, he has a point with Satoshi's vision of increasing the block size as an upgrade method for the network - even core will have to do it eventually (with Lighting Network). That said, If Roger only keeps making the blocks bigger, that is going to come with its own problems.

Basically, BCH can take over BTC (but I really doubt that happens) but you should hedge a bit. Maybe 1 BCH for every 3BTC or something like that (that ratio I mean.)

May the best tech win.
SmoothLefty21
Starter
And1: 2,410

Post#339 » by SmoothLefty21 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:57 pm

Charles Hoskinson's (Cardano/Ethereum/Eth Classic) lecture from last night, covers blockchain and crypto topics in addition to a segment on Cardano. I am so excited for Cardano/Ada long-term.
SmoothLefty21
Starter
And1: 2,410

Post#340 » by SmoothLefty21 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:01 pm

earthmansurfer wrote:
E-Balla wrote:Oh yeah have to mention... If any of y'all have Bitcoin Cash sell and don't buy again. Its the biggest **** scam...

I am split on Roger Ver. I think there is some dishonesty involved, and collusion with the Chinese miners. But, he has a point with Satoshi's vision of increasing the block size as an upgrade method for the network - even core will have to do it eventually (with Lighting Network). That said, If Roger only keeps making the blocks bigger, that is going to come with its own problems.

Basically, BCH can take over BTC (but I really doubt that happens) but you should hedge a bit. Maybe 1 BCH for every 3BTC or something like that (that ratio I mean.)

May the best tech win.

It's a war/pissing match that I don't really want to be a part of. I agree with most that it's as much about ego as it is about the tech.

That said, I have my .5 BCH that I'll hold and see what happens.

Return to New York Knicks