ImageImageImageImage

How close to playoff elimination are we?

Moderator: Texas Chuck

Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Re: How close to playoff elimination are we? 

Post#41 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Jan 2, 2018 2:30 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Actually if you really want to know the truth, I've had an empty feeling when we found out that Elliot would have to serve his 6 week suspension and Sean Lee went down.

There was just an ill wind surrounding this team from the day after the HoF game on and it never left. The "Zeke thing" along with injuries took their toll in the end. Not to diminish the positives (looks like we got our secondary for the next few years) but we got exposed on the offensive line with injuries. Can't go into next season thinking Byron Bell, Joe Looney and f*****g Chaz Green are solid backups. They aren't.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,018

Post#42 » by Mr B » Tue Jan 2, 2018 2:40 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Actually if you really want to know the truth, I've had an empty feeling when we found out that Elliot would have to serve his 6 week suspension and Sean Lee went down.

There was just an ill wind surrounding this team from the day after the HoF game on and it never left. The "Zeke thing" along with injuries took their toll in the end. Not to diminish the positives (looks like we got our secondary for the next few years) but we got exposed on the offensive line with injuries. Can't go into next season thinking Byron Bell, Joe Looney and f*****g Chaz Green are solid backups. They aren't.

No kidding, they need to bring in better depth on the OL.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,280

Post#43 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Jan 2, 2018 4:15 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:

I thought our slow start at the beginning of the year offensively was the jelling of the offensive line after losing Free and Leary. Once we got going we were pretty good. then when T. Smith started getting hurt and missing games, wow, it was obvious we had absolutely no depth at all if one of our big guns goes down to injury. That's a major problem for a running team with no WR's. Of course we had 4 or 5 other Cowboy players out on suspension to start the season before Zeke had to eventually do his time.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#44 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Jan 2, 2018 4:18 pm

Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Sounds like you have him already on the all time hate list with Rod Hill, :wink: :lol:

Rod Hill was a 1st rounder who couldn’t play so he has a special place in my “despised” list. But Green can nestle into 2nd place comfortably.

Chaz will have to battle Roy Williams (WR) for #1 on my list.

Did you really have to remind me of this trade? :wink: :curse: :waaa: :upset:
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#45 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:46 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:You already know that I have wanted to get rid of Dez for over 3 years now. You really think his trade value is better today thank it was 3 years ago? I sure as hell don't.

You’re correct. I looked up his contract and attached a couple screen shots for y’all. Looks like he’s due a $4 mil bonus and if he’s on the team this season he will count $16 mil against the cap. If they cut him or trade him though his cap hit will be $8 mil. Any team trading for him would have to have the cap space to take on the $16 mil I believe. No one is going to want to pay Dez that much. His skill and age are not worth that much money.

If the Cowboys do cut him though keep in mind that they will also still be paying for Romo (about $8 mil I think). So that’s $16 mil in dead money for just 2 players. They also still have to pay Zack Martin and Demarcus Lawrence. It’s more likely that they’ll have to keep him for 1 more year. After the 2018 season they can cut him and only have $4 mil in dead money.

ImageImage

What if we cut him post June 1st?

I just read that if we cut Dez B. post June 1st, we would save 12.5 million vs. the cap and 4 million of dead money carries over to 2019.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#46 » by Mr B » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:02 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
You’re correct. I looked up his contract and attached a couple screen shots for y’all. Looks like he’s due a $4 mil bonus and if he’s on the team this season he will count $16 mil against the cap. If they cut him or trade him though his cap hit will be $8 mil. Any team trading for him would have to have the cap space to take on the $16 mil I believe. No one is going to want to pay Dez that much. His skill and age are not worth that much money.

If the Cowboys do cut him though keep in mind that they will also still be paying for Romo (about $8 mil I think). So that’s $16 mil in dead money for just 2 players. They also still have to pay Zack Martin and Demarcus Lawrence. It’s more likely that they’ll have to keep him for 1 more year. After the 2018 season they can cut him and only have $4 mil in dead money.

ImageImage

What if we cut him post June 1st?

I just read that if we cut Dez B. post June 1st, we would save 12.5 million vs. the cap and 4 million of dead money carries over to 2019.

That sounds right. Did you see the Brice Butler interviews on Fox?
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#47 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:29 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:What if we cut him post June 1st?

That sounds right. Did you see the Brice Butler interviews on Fox?

I did. And if I had any confidence Butler could stay healthy for 16 games, I'd even agree with him.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#48 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:32 pm

Read on Twitter
Mr B
RealGM

Post#49 » by Mr B » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:00 pm

I don’t know, I think Brice has a much higher opinion of himself than his talent has shown. He had every opportunity to succeed in 2016 when Dez was injured and he couldn’t separate himself from any other WR on the roster. I think he was right about the coaching staff and organization but dead wrong about himself.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:17 pm

Mr B wrote:I don’t know, I think Brice has a much higher opinion of himself than his talent has shown. He had every opportunity to succeed in 2016 when Dez was injured and he couldn’t separate himself from any other WR on the roster. I think he was right about the coaching staff and organization but dead wrong about himself.

Besides... I have a hunch after reading the DMN this morning that Noah Brown and Lance Lenior are going to get their shot. Which makes me think that even if they decide to cut Dez loose, it isn't written in stone that Butler has a spot on the roster.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#51 » by Mr B » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:46 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Mr B wrote:I don’t know, I think Brice has a much higher opinion of himself than his talent has shown. He had every opportunity to succeed in 2016 when Dez was injured and he couldn’t separate himself from any other WR on the roster. I think he was right about the coaching staff and organization but dead wrong about himself.

Besides... I have a hunch after reading the DMN this morning that Noah Brown and Lance Lenior are going to get their shot. Which makes me think that even if they decide to cut Dez loose, it isn't written in stone that Butler has a spot on the roster.

Yea I think he sealed his fate with the team when he went on national tv and started airing dirty laundry. Noah Brown was much more effective and is still on his rookie deal. I also think Brice is going to be really surprised at how few offers he gets. Even if he was right about the Cowboys who’s going to want to sign a guy that would do that? There are about 100 guys on the streets that can do what Brice can do.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#52 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:32 am

We need a guy like Keenan Allen in this system.

Return to Dallas Cowboys