ImageImageImageImageImage

Still room for Harper and Machado

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

Bubstubbler
Starter
And1: 755

Still room for Harper and Machado 

Post#1 » by Bubstubbler » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:03 am

The popular opinion around the sports world is that acquiring Stanton greatly reduced the odds that the Yankees will sign Harper, but I don't see it that way. I think the Harchado dream still works, with plenty of playing time to go around for Harper/Stanton/Judge (i.e. up to 162 games played for each of them).

If Stanton/Judge/Harper are all healthy and playing in an AL stadium, then they divvy up RF/LF/DH. If one of them is injured and they're playing in an AL stadium, then Sanchez can DH.

If they're playing in a NL stadium (which only happens 10 games during the regular season), then either Harper can play CF or one of them could take a game off. It's reasonable to think that at least 1 of them will be injured sometimes (perhaps 40% of the time?), meaning that there would probably only be about 6 games during the regular season in which Harper would be forced into playing CF in order for everyone to be in the game. Harper could play all 6 of those games at CF, or he could play 3 games at CF and he, Stanton, and Judge could each take 1 game off during the other 3 games and just have Hicks in center.

Harper is plenty athletic enough to play CF for a handful of games per year. And those regular season games at CF would be worthwhile practice to prepare for World Series scenarios where he could play CF in the national league parks.

It's not hard for people as talented as Harper/Stanton/Judge to shift from RF to LF and get good at it. And it's certainly doable for someone as talented as Harper to play a small handful of games per year in CF, especially considering the extra rest his legs will get from being able to DH once or twice a week.

There's plenty of playing time to go around, and I think the Yankees will be willing to throw the biggest money at Harper and Machado, so I think the only real issue is whether Harper is willing to split time between RF and LF and perhaps play 5-6 games per year in CF (maybe 8 or 9 games if they make the World Series). If I were Harper, I wouldn't have a problem with that; the fun and benefits of playing on such a great team (for half a billion dollars!) would far outweigh the drawbacks.

2019 lineup

Machado
Harper
Judge
Gregorius
Stanton
Sanchez
Bird/Austin
Hicks
Torres

:o
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,045

Re: Still room for Harper and Machado 

Post#2 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:06 pm

I don't see it happening but, that would be one hell of a lineup to pitch against. I don't want Machado in any trade.
:beer: RIP mags
Bubstubbler
Starter

Post#3 » by Bubstubbler » Fri May 4, 2018 3:23 am

Do the Yankees also have the assets to trade for Trout?

Maybe a package of Severino, Andujar, Hicks, and some prospects?

Trout
Harper
Judge
Stanton
Machado
Bird/Austin
Sanchez
Gregorius
Torres

:o :o
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#4 » by Balkman32 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:20 pm

If the Yankees wanted to add one of them I think it makes some sense. I also think that the player is Bryce Harper. The Yankees have plenty of righty bats - Judge, Stanton, Sanchez, Torres, & Andujar. While they only have 2 lefty bats in Bird and Didi. Hicks is a swtich hitter and Gardy is in the final year of his deal.

Plus there is a spot in the Yankees lineup for Bryce to swoop right into the Left field job hitting between Judge and Stanton.

Bryce hitting at Yankee stadium between these two guys would be unbelivable. If we think the Yankees are championship or bust now. Wait till next year when they add Bryce Harper.
Bubstubbler
Starter

Post#5 » by Bubstubbler » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:01 am

I'm intrigued with the talk about the Yankees trading for DeGrom: https://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/why-yankees-match-up-best-with-mets-for-jacob-degrom-522172.html

The guesstimate in the article is that it would take a package like Andujar/Sheffield/Frazier:

The Mets would love the package to start with Gleyber Torres, but that's not happening. However, to get deGrom they would have to include third baseman Miguel Andujar as the headliner; one of their top young starters from the group of Domingo German, Justus Sheffield or Jonathan Loaisiga; and one of their two young outfielders, Clint Frazier or Estevan Florial. That's a steep price to pay, but imagine Luis Severino and Jacob deGrom each getting two starts in a seven-game series.

That's a price well worth paying for the Yankees---even if they need to include some additional value beyond that. They can fill the hole at 3rd if they're willing to spend the money. Slide Machado in at 3B, Harper in LF, DeGrom as the #2 starter, bring back Gardner as the 4th/5th outfielder, and go win 120+ games.

The potential 2019 lineup is so stacked it's hard to figure out where to hit them. Severino and DeGrom might win 25+ games apiece with an offense like this:

Torres
Harper
Judge
Stanton
Machado
Sanchez
Bird
Hicks
Gregorius

It's also possible to go R/L/R/L/etc against right-handed pitching if they choose:

Torres
Harper
Judge
Bird
Stanton
Hicks
Machado
Gregorius
Sanchez

The worst hitter in their starting lineup might be better than the best hitter in the Royals lineup next year. Has that ever happened with 2 MLB teams before?
Bubstubbler
Starter

Post#6 » by Bubstubbler » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:26 pm

Wow, I didn't realize there was a possibility of the Mets trading Syndergaard, too: https://baseball.realgm.com/wiretap/49036/Mets-Continue-To-Place-High-Price-On-Jacob-deGrom-Noah-Syndergaard

I'd love to see the Yankees trade for both of them.

Andujar/Sheffield/Frazier for deGrom
Gray/German/Loaisiga/Florial for Syndergaard
plus whatever other minor league prospects the Yankees need to include (Albert Abreu or Chance Adams?).

Severino/deGrom/Syndergaard would be an amazing set of starters to pair with the Yankees' potential offensive lineup. Perhaps all 3 could win 25+ games in that scenario if they stay healthy.
Bubstubbler
Starter

Post#7 » by Bubstubbler » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:51 am

Bubstubbler wrote:Wow, I didn't realize there was a possibility of the Mets trading Syndergaard, too: https://baseball.realgm.com/wiretap/49036/Mets-Continue-To-Place-High-Price-On-Jacob-deGrom-Noah-Syndergaard

I'd love to see the Yankees trade for both of them.

Andujar/Sheffield/Frazier for deGrom
Gray/German/Loaisiga/Florial for Syndergaard
plus whatever other minor league prospects the Yankees need to include (Albert Abreu or Chance Adams?).

Severino/deGrom/Syndergaard would be an amazing set of starters to pair with the Yankees' potential offensive lineup. Perhaps all 3 could win 25+ games in that scenario if they stay healthy.

And while we're at it, also trade Severino/Hicks/prospects for Trout, and sign Kershaw and Keuchel :nod:

Trout
Harper
Judge
Stanton
Machado
Bird
Sanchez
Gregorius
Torres

SP: Kershaw/deGrom/Syndergaard/Keuchel + Sabathia/Tanaka
Bubstubbler
Starter

Post#8 » by Bubstubbler » Fri Dec 7, 2018 4:48 pm

sign Harper and Machado
Trade for Kluber (Andujar/Gray/prospects)
Trade for Greinke (pay his whole salary so only need to send some mediocre minor league guys)

Torres
Harper
Judge
Stanton
Machado
Sanchez
Bird/Voit (or Gardner in LF and Harper at 1B)
Hicks
Gregorius

Severino
Kluber
Greinke
Paxton
Tanaka/Sabathia
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,000

Post#9 » by Pharmcat » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:37 pm

this team too cheap to spend $$$
Grover
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#10 » by Grover » Fri Jan 4, 2019 8:46 pm

Consider that the off-season plan might have been to upgrade the starting staff on the relative cheap and be in competition for Machado with a few additional salary dumping measures required to pursue Harper and Cashman is right on track. With Boras as his agent, Ninja has plenty of time and how else would you go about the off-season without a significant chunk of time allocated to a patience play for the two most expensive free agents. Backup plans are numerous but I’d not be surprised if being within striking distance to compete for one or both wasn’t part of off-season wish lists for several teams.
GDubbs4
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#11 » by GDubbs4 » Thu Feb 7, 2019 11:50 pm

I would take Harper over Machado. Machado doesn't hustle, not good for the Yankees.

Return to New York Yankees