ImageImageImageImage

2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread

Moderator: Texas Chuck

Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#1 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:18 pm

I might as well start it. Because I have nothing left in my pocket but rewatching the 1992 (January 1993) playoffs.

I have ready on DVD... the Eagles game, the 49ers Championship game in SF and SB XXVII.

Good times. I miss them.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,282

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#2 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:09 pm

I'm already looking forward to the draft. Seems we have more needs than last year, especially on offense. I still want another top notch LB and DT however.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:55 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:I'm already looking forward to the draft. Seems we have more needs than last year, especially on offense. I still want another top notch LB and DT however.

I don't think we can go wrong with either of those. But we can agree that our WR's need an upgrade and there are some damn good ones this year. And... I would not be averse to taking a DB either. Never have enough good ones.

If we focus on those positions and look to add to the OL, I'll be happy with this draft.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#4 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:00 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I'm already looking forward to the draft. Seems we have more needs than last year, especially on offense. I still want another top notch LB and DT however.

I don't think we can go wrong with either of those. But we can agree that our WR's need an upgrade and there are some damn good ones this year. And... I would not be averse to taking a DB either. Never have enough good ones.

If we focus on those positions and look to add to the OL, I'll be happy with this draft.

You know me, I want defense all the time. But I am in full agreement with you and Mr. B. Our depth on the OL was suspect this year and I hate both Dez And Williams. I like Brice Butler a lot (although he was hurt most of the season) along with Beasley and Switzer. I have no objection draft a wr that can run routes, get open, get separation and catch a damn ball that hits him in the hands instead of dropping or popping the ball up in the air for an easy pick 6.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,438

Post#5 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:59 pm

Read on Twitter

Congrats! :wink:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:40 pm

BBJ.. the legendary Play-by-Play voice of the Dallas Cowboys has a message for you.

Read on Twitter
NickAndersonsBack25
Rookie
And1: 67

Post#7 » by NickAndersonsBack25 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:58 pm

I'm not saying Dak isn't a legit QB, but I think he's somewhere in between Brady / Big Ben / Wilson (won the big game for the team) and Trent Dilfer (road the defense's cotail).

Thus, to win postseason games, will need a strong defense.

I'd like to see 1 of 2 things (or both): 1) Dez gone or 2) coaching change that puts Dez in line.
Dez isn't what he used to be but still demands the ball, so Dak tried forcing it to him.

interesting article: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/dak-prescott-should-start-ignoring-dez-bryant/
i think it over-simplifies it and i do think blame on Dak and Dez both...but they just didn't get a connection...
Bobby Knight says:
"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."
"You don't play against opponents, you play against the game of basketball. "
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,018

Post#8 » by Mr B » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:34 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:

Dallas definitely needs a WR however the only two that are clear cut 1st rounders will likely be gone by pick 19. At 19 the best players available will likely be on the defensive side of the ball. I also agree that LB and DT should be the focus. The LB I want Roquan Smith from Georgia will also likely be gone by 19. Two names to keep an eye on though are:

LB Tremaine Edmunds from Va Tech (6’5” 250 lbs)

DT Vita Vea Washington (6’5” 340 lbs)

Vea is a 1-Tech and is an absolute beast. If the Cowboys want Jaylon to be successful at MLB they need to draft a guy like Vea to plug right in the middle of that DL to protect him. A video of each is below.

https://youtu.be/P2MBuoepc1I

Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:59 pm

NickAndersonsBack25 wrote:I'm not saying Dak isn't a legit QB, but I think he's somewhere in between Brady / Big Ben / Wilson (won the big game for the team) and Trent Dilfer (road the defense's cotail).

Thus, to win postseason games, will need a strong defense.

I'd like to see 1 of 2 things (or both): 1) Dez gone or 2) coaching change that puts Dez in line.
Dez isn't what he used to be but still demands the ball, so Dak tried forcing it to him.

interesting article: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/dak-prescott-should-start-ignoring-dez-bryant/
i think it over-simplifies it and i do think blame on Dak and Dez both...but they just didn't get a connection...

Defense. And let's remember that the team not included in Gosselin's tweet below happens to be coached by probably the greatest defensive mind of any era.

Read on Twitter
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#10 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:37 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:BBJ.. the legendary Play-by-Play voice of the Dallas Cowboys has a message for you.

Read on Twitter

Not only Jimmie, but Landry and coaches like Madden believed controlling the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Can't argue with their successes.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#11 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:42 pm

Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

Dallas definitely needs a WR however the only two that are clear cut 1st rounders will likely be gone by pick 19. At 19 the best players available will likely be on the defensive side of the ball. I also agree that LB and DT should be the focus. The LB I want Roquan Smith from Georgia will also likely be gone by 19. Two names to keep an eye on though are:

Vea is a 1-Tech and is an absolute beast. If the Cowboys want Jaylon to be successful at MLB they need to draft a guy like Vea to plug right in the middle of that DL to protect him. A video of each is below.

As you guys know, I follow the ACC and I think this would be an excellent choice for us. Good job ! I can't believe I'm saying this because you guys know more than anyone how I have been bitching about defense for 7 years now. But damn, our WR's suck and we need depth on the O-line.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#12 » by Mr B » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:41 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

As you guys know, I follow the ACC and I think this would be an excellent choice for us. Good job ! I can't believe I'm saying this because you guys know more than anyone how I have been bitching about defense for 7 years now. But damn, our WR's suck and we need depth on the O-line.

Based on the latest mock drafts Roquan Smith, Tremaine Edmunds, Vita Vea, and even the Bama DT Da’Ron Payne will all be gone by 19. Both WR should also be off the board. Not really sure who they would take. There is a OT from Texas or a DT from Michigan that will likely be the pick.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#13 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:46 am

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Based on the latest mock drafts Roquan Smith, Tremaine Edmunds, Vita Vea, and even the Bama DT Da’Ron Payne will all be gone by 19. Both WR should also be off the board. Not really sure who they would take. There is a OT from Texas or a DT from Michigan that will likely be the pick.

What do you think the Cowboy brass are thinking going into this year's draft?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#14 » by Mr B » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:43 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:As you guys know, I follow the ACC and I think this would be an excellent choice for us. Good job ! I can't believe I'm saying this because you guys know more than anyone how I have been bitching about defense for 7 years now. But damn, our WR's suck and we need depth on the O-line.

I think it was Stephen that was saying a week ago that continuing to add to the defense is the priority. Of course that could change depending on the best available player. These playoffs show that your offense doesn’t have to be great but your defense does. I guess that’s nothing new but building great defenses is the latest trend and we all know how Jerry loves trends.

One of the latest mocks has the Cowboys taking DT Maurice Hurst from Michigan. He’s a stud but the only thing I don’t like about him is he’s a 3-Tech DT. They already have 3 of those on the roster and no true 1-Tech. To me that’s the biggest flaw in Marinelli’s system, he doesn’t value them.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#15 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:55 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:

I think it was Stephen that was saying a week ago that continuing to add to the defense is the priority. Of course that could change depending on the best available player. These playoffs show that your offense doesn’t have to be great but your defense does. I guess that’s nothing new but building great defenses is the latest trend and we all know how Jerry loves trends.

One of the latest mocks has the Cowboys taking DT Maurice Hurst from Michigan. He’s a stud but the only thing I don’t like about him is he’s a 3-Tech DT. They already have 3 of those on the roster and no true 1-Tech. To me that’s the biggest flaw in Marinelli’s system, he doesn’t value them.

I'm all in favor of moving up and taking Vea. You and Otis know me, I don't think we will be a great defense till we get our 1-tech DT. I also just found out Brice Butler doesn't want to come back next year unless he is a starter. I know you guys aren't crazy about him, but I am !
Mr B
RealGM

Post#16 » by Mr B » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:00 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:What do you think the Cowboy brass are thinking going into this year's draft?

I'm all in favor of moving up and taking Vea. You and Otis know me, I don't think we will be a great defense till we get our 1-tech DT. I also just found out Brice Butler doesn't want to come back next year unless he is a starter. I know you guys aren't crazy about him, but I am !

Yea I just think that if Brice was all that he thinks he is why didn’t he step up when Dez was out injured in 2016? He got plenty of snaps to show something. I think at best he’s a #3 WR.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:15 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Yea I just think that if Brice was all that he thinks he is why didn’t he step up when Dez was out injured in 2016? He got plenty of snaps to show something. I think at best he’s a #3 WR.

At best... he drops way too many easy ones and is hurt way too often for my tastes. Can't deny his speed and deep threat capability. But I sure as hell wouldn't put him in front of WIlliams... and I'm no Williams fan.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#18 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:00 pm

Well, if that's the way you guys also feel about our WR's, I guess its even worse than I thought. Not sure at the moment how to go about fixing this issue.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#19 » by Mr B » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:19 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Well, if that's the way you guys also feel about our WR's, I guess its even worse than I thought. Not sure at the moment how to go about fixing this issue.

There is actually going to be some pretty good talent at WR in the middle rounds. They also NEED to figure out a way to get Switzer more involved too.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:14 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Well, if that's the way you guys also feel about our WR's, I guess its even worse than I thought. Not sure at the moment how to go about fixing this issue.

There are any number of rumors going around regarding the WR's. Draft... Free Agency... trades... kids we already have on the roster stepping up like Noah Brown and Lance Lenoir... but we cannot go into next season with the status quo. It's not good enough.

Return to Dallas Cowboys