Euroleague discussion thread

Moderator: THE J0KER

burek3
Pro Prospect
And1: 538

Re: Euroleague discussion thread 

Post#161 » by burek3 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:35 pm

Zalgiris looks like a contender this year if they keep up like this. Props to Saras
"Holy f**k" :o
- DeAndre Jordan
cruwinas
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,531

Post#162 » by cruwinas » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:05 pm

My blood, "Žalgiris", just win baby today. Otherwise I will not be able to process standing's data correctly. My body will need an expensive upgrade on my old Pentium and inadequate RAM ;)
:crazy:
cruwinas
Assistant Coach

Post#163 » by cruwinas » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:21 pm

Yep. Honey to my heart.
Anther beautiful game against a worthy, respectful, tough, very professional and a good team overall.
Šaras is like 90% percent of "Žalgiris". 90% in terms of organization, 90% in terms of team, 90% of players (everyone under his coaching is getting better), and so on...
Šarūnas Jasikevičius, born and raised in Kaunas, coaches the pride of Kaunas and Lithuania. A team, full of young kids who stepping into the pro sport's world, a team, where everybody plays for each other, helps each other with advises and suggestions, a team, where everybody wishes the best to each other from top to the bottom and back.
Maybe Šaras micromanages too much. However, looks like it's not detrimental to the team or players. Players know, that they always have their coaches back. He is not afraid to stand up, get T or be thrown out altogether. Quite an opposite to the certain coach of the one of the East Conference team, currently in second position :)
Jankūnas - a true captain. Lithuanian warrior, gentleman on the court and in life. I wonder, why would Rudy ever spit on him? I think he has some inner conflict, but who cares???
Pangos. Loved him in Gonzaga. Was very happy then Kaunas got him. After inaugural season he now shows his true colors. In time, I will not be surprised if he becomes one of the best PG's in Euroleague, and maybe even one day will have a shot in the NBA.
Ulanovas. I liked him from the "Golden Team days". Had some injuries, but now he is special forces on a team. Foxy, sneaky, makes game changing plays.
Milaknis. A pure scrub, right? A scrub, who can hit 13 times in a row from the midcourt and has the balls made from good Lithuanian steel.

And all of them. Fighters to the end, as their coach, as the city of Kaunas, as the tiny country of Lithuania.

Of course, the underdog is underachieving. But this underdog is reaching for the future. And the future is coming.

Time for the good Lithuanian beer and some smoke under the balls freezing Chicago sky.

Until the next game, my friends. We have to enjoy good times no matter how long they last.
cruwinas
Assistant Coach

Post#164 » by cruwinas » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:06 pm

Must win for "Žalgiris" today. Otherwise, the going will get much tougher.
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,882

Post#165 » by mojo13 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:39 pm

cruwinas wrote:Must win for "Žalgiris" today. Otherwise, the going will get much tougher.

Pangos with 10 assists in the first half against Valencia....wow...
cruwinas
Assistant Coach

Post#166 » by cruwinas » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:53 pm

mojo13 wrote:
cruwinas wrote:Must win for "Žalgiris" today. Otherwise, the going will get much tougher.

Pangos with 10 assists in the first half against Valencia....wow...

"Žalgiris" is clicking on all cylinders, as the head coach had envisioned them to play. Ball movement is just superb, while defense is intense, scramble and scrappy. Right now, "Žalgiris" just to need to play with confidence and concentration, and finish the job in 20 minutes. Lately we had too much of drama. If a team plays better - just get a W in the standings and on to the next game.
cruwinas
Assistant Coach

Post#167 » by cruwinas » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:56 pm

Good thing it's a halftime. Time for a smoke outside, reminiscing on a beautiful plays by Ž offense (and defense).
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,616

Post#168 » by UcanUwill » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:51 pm

Well, Zalgiris almost choked
cruwinas
Assistant Coach

Post#169 » by cruwinas » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:54 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Well, Zalgiris almost choke

It is difficult not to "choke" then other team just don't miss from the distance. Anyway, onto the next one.
BTW, in the season of 2019 Šaras is going to be completely grey. It's just to much drama for his hair color.
lavta
Sophomore
And1: 508

Post#170 » by lavta » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:12 am

I have found two great interviews, this thread probably is the one to share.

Turn on the Youtube subtitles for English translation on both.

This is Trinchieri on how he discovered Kyle Hines, he always gives fantastic interviews.

This is the GOAT speaking on his ideal rules for basketball and rule changes and I completely disagree with him but whatever, it's Zeljko :)

I've found both on r/Euroleague on reddit. Those videos are at the front page at the moment. I've run into them and there's content already on the sub but no followers & limited discussion so talked with the mods and wanted to give more traction there for good discussion and content and hopefully that increases participants. I could see easily it being a good discussion and content platform, if the participants would increase. Don't know if this was allowed to share here, if not, the mods can delete it obviously or I would. I also would be willing to do the same for here but I don't see if people on this forum would want to consistently participate in this board even with a slight content/discussion revival. Seems like people are content with this board being a place where people comment every now and then about Euroleague & Intl ball.
cruwinas
Assistant Coach

Post#171 » by cruwinas » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:25 pm

Lietuvos Rytas mad to Junior Euroleague Final 4. Good job, Lithuania. Though both "Žalgiris" and LR were worthy of the Final 4, I'm glad that even one of them made it.
Why I'm bringing this up? Cause "Žalgiris" and LR junior teams combined have 7-8 possible future NBA prospects. Maybe none of them will make into the NBA, but still, they will have good pro ball life (I hope).
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#172 » by UcanUwill » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:29 pm

cruwinas wrote:Lietuvos Rytas mad to Junior Euroleague Final 4. Good job, Lithuania. Though both "Žalgiris" and LR were worthy of the Final 4, I'm glad that even one of them made it.
Why I'm bringing this up? Cause "Žalgiris" and LR junior teams combined have 7-8 possible future NBA prospects. Maybe none of them will make into the NBA, but still, they will have good pro ball life (I hope).

Can you list some of those prospects? I am not familiar with any of them. I only heard Jokubaitis (spelling?) is decent, scored 31 on Lamelo Ball.
cruwinas
Assistant Coach

Post#173 » by cruwinas » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:42 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
cruwinas wrote:Lietuvos Rytas mad to Junior Euroleague Final 4. Good job, Lithuania. Though both "Žalgiris" and LR were worthy of the Final 4, I'm glad that even one of them made it.

Can you list some of those prospects? I am not familiar with any of them. I only heard Jokubaitis (spelling?) is decent, scored 31 on Lamelo Ball.

Trying to be funny? Let's just wait for the NBA scouts report to show up. I thought you were Lithuanian, if I'm mistaken - sorry for my abrupt retort :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#174 » by UcanUwill » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:23 pm

cruwinas wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

Trying to be funny? Let's just wait for the NBA scouts report to show up. I thought you were Lithuanian, if I'm mistaken - sorry for my abrupt retort :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

No, that was a genuine question, I am not familiar with those teams at all. Who are best prospects on those teams?
cruwinas
Assistant Coach

Post#175 » by cruwinas » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:14 pm

UcanUwill wrote:No, that was a genuine question, I am not familiar with those teams at all. Who are best prospects on those teams?

Sorry about that, my bad :banghead:

You just seem very knowledgeable in the International ball and certain Lithuanian players.

Junior "Žalgiris" have to interesting bigs in Ukrainian Markovetskyy (shooting problems, moves well, tall) and Bergaudas Giedrius (decent all around). Arlauskas is OK, already sees time with senior "Žalgiris" team. But... requirements for a SG-SF are very steep in todays world.
LR - Sirvydis was tournament MVP, already has a scouting report on DraftExpress. Marek Blaževič - could become a very decent PF (has all requirements). Jonas Paukštė - very raw, but 219 cm and still growing.
Time is pressing, I have my own "scouting report" in my head, will be able to elaborate more in the future.

Anyway, we are talking about kids 16-17 years old. We will have more data after Euro U18 this summer in Latvia:

https://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u18/2018
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#176 » by UcanUwill » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:31 pm

cruwinas wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:No, that was a genuine question, I am not familiar with those teams at all. Who are best prospects on those teams?

You just seem very knowledgeable in the International ball and certain Lithuanian players.

Junior "Žalgiris" have to interesting bigs in Ukrainian Markovetskyy (shooting problems, moves well, tall) and Bergaudas Giedrius (decent all around). Arlauskas is OK, already sees time with senior "Žalgiris" team. But... requirements for a SG-SF are very steep in todays world.
LR - Sirvydis was tournament MVP, already has a scouting report on DraftExpress. Marek Blaževič - could become a very decent PF (has all requirements). Jonas Paukštė - very raw, but 219 cm and still growing.
Time is pressing, I have my own "scouting report" in my head, will be able to elaborate more in the future.

Anyway, we are talking about kids 16-17 years old. We will have more data after Euro U18 this summer in Latvia:

Thanks. I consider myself knowledgable on international ball, but 16-18 year olds has never been my specialty...
cruwinas
Assistant Coach

Post#177 » by cruwinas » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:46 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
cruwinas wrote:

Thanks. I consider myself knowledgable on international ball, but 16-18 year olds has never been my specialty...

I like to look for the diamonds in a rough. And follow them later on. Some are early bloomers, some are late bloomers, some steady, getting better as years go by.
Some, sadly, don't reach the expectations.
Anyway, following teams and players gives great pleasure to me. Even if some future prospects are still in their diapers ;)
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#178 » by UcanUwill » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:58 pm

cruwinas wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
cruwinas wrote:

I like to look for the diamonds in a rough. And follow them later on. Some are early bloomers, some are late bloomers, some steady, getting better as years go by.
Anyway, following teams and players gives great pleasure to me. Even if some future prospects are still in their diapers ;)

By far biggest disappointment in recent memory for me is Martynas Varnas. At age 18 that guy looked like a monster, not sure if that injury ruined him, or his shot realease was just too slow for him to translate to Pro level, but I projected him as a sure fire national team starter, how wrong I was.
cruwinas
Assistant Coach

Post#179 » by cruwinas » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:14 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
cruwinas wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

By far biggest disappointment in recent memory for me is Martynas Varnas. At age 18 that guy looked like a monster, not sure if that injury ruined him, or his shot realease was just too slow for him to translate to Pro level, but I projected him as a sure fire national team starter, how wrong I was.

Long arms, good shooter, very athletic and competitive. I think injury messed him up.
Same was with me. Though I was not bball player, but last injury took all the wind from my sails.
I am happy for Ulanovas. He looked well alongside JV and others in "Golden team", injury slowed him down, but steadily he is getting pretty good (especially this season).
Grigonis has same issues, but so far everything looks to be OK.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#180 » by UcanUwill » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:16 pm

cruwinas wrote:Long arms, good shooter, very athletic and competitive. I think injury messed him up.
Same was with me. Though I was not bball player, but last injury took all the wind from my sails.
I am happy for Ulanovas. He looked well alongside JV and others in "Golden team", injury slowed him down, but steadily he is getting pretty good (especially this season).
Grigonis has same issues, but so far everything looks to be OK.

It might feel cheap saying this now, But from that generation, excluding JV I was super high on Ulanovas, he was a sure bet in my book. I also was high on Zygimantas Skucas, good player, but from what I have heard, he rides only on his talent, workethic is questionable at best.
Meanwhile I knew Cizauskas is the most obvious bust I have ever seen. Just the fact that Zalgiris actually signed Cizauskas shows that even pro scouts are not better than us mortals sometimes. He was a PG who literally can't dribble, cant deal with any defensive pressure, a complete waste of a guard player.

Return to International Basketball