Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Sagaba Konate 

Post#1 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:08 pm

This young man plays for West Virginia.

He has a large frame with a quick bounce that reminds me of a young Charles Barkley. Unlike Barkley, Konate is a defensive player with a Ben Wallace-type game. The current NBA player who Konate reminds me of is Montrezl Harrell. Another similar player is Jordan Bell.

Sagana Konate is a great rebounder and defender who I think can play at the next level.

Thoughts?

Usually, I watch West Virginia just to see what Jevon Carter does; but this Konate kid is starting to stand out.

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
Bye bye Beal.
deepeeenn
Senior
And1: 522

Re: Sagaba Konate 

Post#2 » by deepeeenn » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:48 am

Wow. Pretty impressed by his highlights
Being a Blazer fan isn't exactly healthy.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#3 » by King Ken » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:45 am

I seen him play, nothing reminds me of Barkley at all. But he does have NBA potential. Like IT, he's gonna be loved or hated by teams depending on their personnel.
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#4 » by HEZI » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:02 pm

I like him on the college level but he's kinda built like Kevin Seraphin and if he wants to have any success in the NBA then he's gonna have to trim down. He looks very heavy right now. Even if he does slim down, I'm not seeing anything more than a solid NBA backup at best. I do love him on the college level though
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,726

Post#5 » by TheSuzerain » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:47 am

He's going off right now.
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Sagaba Konate 

Post#6 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Feb 4, 2018 4:51 pm

HEZI wrote:I like him on the college level but he's kinda built like Kevin Seraphin and if he wants to have any success in the NBA then he's gonna have to trim down. He looks very heavy right now. Even if he does slim down, I'm not seeing anything more than a solid NBA backup at best. I do love him on the college level though
No he's way better than Kevin Seraphin.

I'm a Wizards fan and I remember Seraphin well. KS is bigger and taller but not as quick of a leaper. Konate plays with ten times the passion.

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#7 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Feb 4, 2018 4:52 pm

I am looking at him as a backup for the Wizards and round 2. There are other prospects I would like better. This guy is an NBA player in the making.

Bye bye Beal.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#8 » by doordoor123 » Wed Feb 7, 2018 1:44 am

He should be a first round pick. Hes 19 with a crazy no-step vertical and amazing defensive instincts.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#9 » by GimmeDat » Wed Feb 7, 2018 3:07 am

I just saw his highlights, and there's no doubt he's an exceptionally tenacious rim protector and rebounder. He probably will have to trim down for the NBA but it's impressive how he moves for his build. I can't find his wingspan, but as noted above, he has a great no step vert and great blocking instincts. Doesn't seem to be too much in the way of an offensive skill-set but at least he's shooting FT's at 74% this season.

Add him to the list of prospective backup defensive C's in the 2nd round, imo.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by doordoor123 » Wed Feb 7, 2018 6:37 am

GimmeDat wrote:I just saw his highlights, and there's no doubt he's an exceptionally tenacious rim protector and rebounder. He probably will have to trim down for the NBA but it's impressive how he moves for his build. I can't find his wingspan, but as noted above, he has a great no step vert and great blocking instincts. Doesn't seem to be too much in the way of an offensive skill-set but at least he's shooting FT's at 74% this season.

He’s not just a defensive big, he has a really diverse post game, he’s quick on his feet and he has a great body (wide/wide shoulders/big body). He can also defend the wing. I’m super high on him. He can be really good.
And apparently he hasn’t even been coached on defense, they’re afraid to ruin what he has going. In the NBA when he’s coached in that area his defense will reach another level. Might be one of the best defenders in this class.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#11 » by GimmeDat » Wed Feb 7, 2018 6:56 am

doordoor123 wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:I just saw his highlights, and there's no doubt he's an exceptionally tenacious rim protector and rebounder. He probably will have to trim down for the NBA but it's impressive how he moves for his build. I can't find his wingspan, but as noted above, he has a great no step vert and great blocking instincts. Doesn't seem to be too much in the way of an offensive skill-set but at least he's shooting FT's at 74% this season.

He’s not just a defensive big, he has a really diverse post game, he’s quick on his feet and he has a great body (wide/wide shoulders/big body). He can also defend the wing. I’m super high on him. He can be really good.
And apparently he hasn’t even been coached on defense, they’re afraid to ruin what he has going. In the NBA when he’s coached in that area his defense will reach another level. Might be one of the best defenders in this class.

That's good to hear, then, maybe he has some first round potential after all, then. A bit small at 6'8 but it doesn't seem to stop him from being effective.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,429

Post#12 » by CP War Hawks » Wed Feb 7, 2018 7:29 am

I recall his game vs. Kentucky and how visibly upset he looked with the refs. His arms are Ojeleye like. His body sorts of reminds of what Swanigan's would look like if he was cut.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by doordoor123 » Wed Feb 7, 2018 3:26 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:I recall his game vs. Kentucky and how visibly upset he looked with the refs. His arms are Ojeleye like. His body sorts of reminds of what Swanigan's would look like if he was cut.

They’re definitely not Ojeleye-like. Ojeleye can barely lift his arms and his shoulders go more into his torso. Konate looks longer and he has broader shoulders/better frame.

CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,429

Post#14 » by CP War Hawks » Wed Feb 7, 2018 8:04 pm

Guns are guns. Both of these dudes have them is the point. SO has good length and Konate looks to have even better.

doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by doordoor123 » Wed Feb 7, 2018 8:08 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:Guns are guns. Both of these dudes have them is the point. SO has good length and Konate looks to have even better.

Ojeleye’s shoulders are insane. They look like balloons.
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,426

Post#16 » by Kalela » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:57 am

He was blocking everything today. If he was a little taller he would be a definite first round pick for his potential rim protection.
Fire Mazzulla
MachoMan
Junior
And1: 176

Post#17 » by MachoMan » Mon Apr 2, 2018 5:29 pm

He will play one more year @ WVU. It will be interesting to see if his offensive game continues to develop. His timing and anticipation as a shot blocker is as good as I have seen at the college level.....especially for a guy that is only 6'8"/6'9"ish.

baptizing Mikel Bridges in Sweet 16 :bowdown:

"I'm the tower of power, too sweet to be sour. I'm funky like a monkey. Sky's the limit and space is the place!" - Randy Savage
MachoMan
Junior

Post#18 » by MachoMan » Tue Apr 3, 2018 9:04 pm

Read on Twitter
"I'm the tower of power, too sweet to be sour. I'm funky like a monkey. Sky's the limit and space is the place!" - Randy Savage
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,322

Post#19 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Apr 3, 2018 9:10 pm

Really curious on where his draft grade is going to be around. Im a big fan of the guy, the mix of athleticism and defensive timing is just flat out ridiculous and makes up for his lack of size.
MachoMan
Junior

Post#20 » by MachoMan » Tue Apr 3, 2018 9:24 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Really curious on where his draft grade is going to be around. Im a big fan of the guy, the mix of athleticism and defensive timing is just flat out ridiculous and makes up for his lack of size.

a lot of upside there....only been playing basketball for 4-5 years. Grew up a soccer player in Mali. Still, I struggle to see him coming out this season. We (WVU) still have a coach assigned to him almost exclusively to keep his emotions in check....not like he has a temper, but he has these juvenile tantrums that have to be controlled. He plays on emotions, and still struggles with his conditioning only playing about 25 MPG most nights. He usually asks out of game several times each game. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan, and he has came a long way since last year when he would routinely block a shot, flash the double biceps to the fans while his guy ran down the court for a layup....all while appearing confused on what he did wrong. If he can progress as much mentally this season, and grow his offensive game, I think he could be a top #25 pick in the draft next season.

Return to NBA Draft