How do the Cleveland Indians get away with Racist Mascot?

Moderator: TyCobb

ubernathan
Veteran
And1: 548

How do the Cleveland Indians get away with Racist Mascot? 

Post#1 » by ubernathan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:00 am

You want to complain about the Redskins, fine, do as you please. But what about the Indians? Their name may be more innocuous, but their mascot and logo is a gruesome leering red-faced caricature of an Indigenous American named Chief Wahoo. How do they get away with it when the Redskins can't? Is it because most Americans aren't aware of their existence?

tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,070

Re: How do the Cleveland Indians get away with Racist Mascot? 

Post#2 » by tidho » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:48 pm

I hope you actually understand the difference between using the name "__skins" and having a caricature.

Regardless, i'm not sure what "get away with" in this context means as the Redkins aren't changing their name and have essentially gotten away with it themselves.

For what its worth there are fairly regular protests in Cleveland. As with most of this sort, actual American Indians don't seem to care but a bunch of very vigilant folks care on their behalf.

The organization has been slowly phasing out Chief Wahoo too. He's largely been removed from the stadium, they no longer use him in big screen graphics, and his visibility on uniforms has been decreasing for about 4 years.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#3 » by mplsfonz23 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:29 pm

tidho wrote:I hope you actually understand the difference between using the name "__skins" and having a caricature.

Regardless, i'm not sure what "get away with" in this context means as the Redkins aren't changing their name and have essentially gotten away with it themselves.

For what its worth there are fairly regular protests in Cleveland. As with most of this sort, actual American Indians don't seem to care but a bunch of very vigilant folks care on their behalf.

The organization has been slowly phasing out Chief Wahoo too. He's largely been removed from the stadium, they no longer use him in big screen graphics, and his visibility on uniforms has been decreasing for about 4 years.

Good point, but they prefer "Native Americans."
CC thought he was going to India, but wound up here.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#4 » by FNQ » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:03 pm

Welp, Chief Wahoo will be retired in 2019
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#5 » by FNQ » Mon Feb 5, 2018 7:59 pm

Jim Thome refusing to have the Chief Wahoo logo on his hat in Cooperstown, wants the Cleveland "C".

Good on him, one of the better guys in baseball for a long time. Squeaky clean, too.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#6 » by jason bourne » Sat Apr 7, 2018 6:48 pm

tidho wrote:I hope you actually understand the difference between using the name "__skins" and having a caricature.

I think Native Americans and people still do care over both despite the survey. It's a bigger deal to change the Redskins name though as Chief Wahoo will be gone next year. The Golden State WARRIORS have used a Native American reference in the past with a headdress for their logo. I'm not sure what another name could be to replace Redskins, but it should be replaced. It could be Washington Warriors. Just a thought.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Post#7 » by anatomicbomb » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:28 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:

Good point, but they prefer "Native Americans."
CC thought he was going to India, but wound up here.

But eventually they got Sabathia on the right boat and he landed at New York port authority :lol:

"Indigenous" and "aboriginal" peoples are better terms, too

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
And1+2
Head Coach
And1: 10,410

Post#8 » by And1+2 » Fri Jun 1, 2018 1:22 am

Ironically, because of "history". (lol)

Return to The General MLB Board