ImageImageImageImageImage

2018 Trade Ideas thread

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,750

2018 Trade Ideas thread 

Post#1 » by ROballer » Fri Feb 9, 2018 7:19 pm

Title says it all, what do you think the roster will look like after the latest chain of events?
I'd prefer some realistic scenarios, or sorta at least.(this is for Randle huggers mainly, who still think some major FA might take less to make room for his ass to get a contract, or we'll abandon the plan for 2 MAX FA, sign just one, to make room for the same sorry ass Randle, then sign another guy in 2019).

As far as common sense is concerned, that **** ain't happening.

As of today, 9th of February 2018, I'm 95% convinced we'll spend all the mula on George and Lebron and nothing will change my mind. There's no master plan to add somebody else, there's no squeaking and binding the cap rules to get another player, nothing else.

It's Lebron and George, straight up for the max.....and that's **** more than enough, so stop the conspiracy theories that we should and could get something more than that, and be happy with that possibility because it's a wonderful return no matter how you spin it.

So of course, first matter of business is getting rid of virtually everybody, stretch Deng, sign the two guys above, and draft Chimezie Metu with the draft pick from the Cavs.

Initially I wanted a PG, but I don't want to waste it on a 14-15 min role for the next 10 years, since Ball has the position on lockdown.
Hart's play made a believer out of me, that he can backup the point for a few mins every game.

Keep Caruso and Bryant as depth, so that would make our team count at 9 guys for now.

Next stop are the ring chasers. I actually think we can also add one or two younger guys and not just the dinosaurs. I reckon it's a watered down market for centers a little bit, so a guy like Lucas Nogueira who can protect the rim can be had for the minimum probably.

Joe Johnson/Omri Casspi/Brice Johnson can round up the roster.

Starting lineup:

Ball
George
Ingram
Lebron

32-36 mins each

Center spot split between Metu/Nogueira/Bryant, matchups, foul trouble, injuries, etc dictating the number of minutes each will get, probably not many though, 15-20 a game at most.

Hart and Kuzma are our two big guns off the bench, both can backup multiple positions and even though they will not start, they can still see 22-26 mins on a regular basis from the bench.

Caruso/J.Johnson/Casspi/B.Johnson/ 2 way guys are our insurance policy players. Lots of DNP's, but also can play a lot when somebody is injured/rested.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
evilpimp972
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,760

Re: 2018-2019 Roster speculation 

Post#2 » by evilpimp972 » Fri Feb 9, 2018 7:30 pm

What you don't understand is that you want to have a deep team, Randle doesn't look like an option to you but it's worth a try at least, because we'll have no cap room for a guy that doesn't even play like LBJ or PG, he has an unique skillset.
Tinseltown wrote:
True Story wrote:KD is the best player in the NBA.

Kevin Durant is a better scorer than Jordan

MJ was never this efficient
Matteok93
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#3 » by Matteok93 » Fri Feb 9, 2018 7:31 pm

I wonder why nobody has discussed the chances of LeBron and Durant teaming up with the Lakers?
I agree its crazy thinking Durant would leave the Dubs, but its definitely not impossible. We will have the cap space.
Imagine that lineup: Lonzo facilitating for the 2 greatest players in the world, then add on Kuzma, Ingram, Hart, the newly acquired FRP, and whoever else. that would beat any other team in the league.
Obviously its unlikely, but you can never say never in the NBA, the mecca of roster transaction drama.
Oh btw, who did lebron pick first for his all-star team? ;)
Go Lakers and happy friday!
ROballer
General Manager

Post#4 » by ROballer » Fri Feb 9, 2018 7:33 pm

evilpimp972 wrote:What you don't understand is that you want to have a deep team, Randle doesn't look like an option to you but it's worth a try at least, because we'll have no cap room for a guy that doesn't even play like LBJ or PG, he has an unique skillset.

So you don't want George and Lebron together, but you prefer keeping Randle.

Okay...Next!

Depth is overrated, 9 man rotation is more than enough. Especially when 6 of 9 guys will all be under the age of 25.

Go ahead and field a deeper team with only one, or none of Lebron and George, but with Randle of it. And convince us it's better than the team in my original post.

TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,815

Post#5 » by TyCobb » Fri Feb 9, 2018 7:37 pm

G Lonzo Ball, (Vet min) Devin Harris, (2-way) Alex Caruso
G (FA full max) Paul George, Josh Hart, (Vet min) Joe Johnson
F Brandon Ingram, (room) Trevor Ariza, (2nd via Den) Keita Bates-Diop
F (FA KD discount to keep Randle) LeBron James, Kyle Kuzma, (min) Kevon Looney
C (re-sign discount) Julius Randle, (1st #25) Chimezie Metu, (2-way) Ivica Zubac

Coach: Luke Walton
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
ROballer
General Manager

Post#6 » by ROballer » Fri Feb 9, 2018 7:41 pm

Will you at least share that **** Tyson? :lol:
Love the Looney add btw, wouldn't expect anything less. 8-)

TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#7 » by TyCobb » Fri Feb 9, 2018 7:41 pm

ROballer wrote:Will you at least share that **** Tyson? :lol:

#lockedin for awhile now. :wink:
evilpimp972
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,760

Post#8 » by evilpimp972 » Fri Feb 9, 2018 7:45 pm

ROballer wrote:
evilpimp972 wrote:What you don't understand is that you want to have a deep team, Randle doesn't look like an option to you but it's worth a try at least, because we'll have no cap room for a guy that doesn't even play like LBJ or PG, he has an unique skillset.

So you don't want George and Lebron together, but you prefer keeping Randle.

Okay...Next!

Depth is overrated, 9 man rotation is more than enough. Especially when 6 of 9 guys will all be under the age of 25.

Go ahead and field a deeper team with only one, or none of Lebron and George, but with Randle of it. And convince us it's better than the team in my original post.

Depth is not overrated. GS won their first championship out of depth, just like the Spurs in the 2010s
And I want both, but you're sayin Magic shouldn't even look at possibilities, but we should absolutely go at everyone that give us a chance to be a better team.
Tinseltown wrote:
True Story wrote:KD is the best player in the NBA.

Kevin Durant is a better scorer than Jordan

MJ was never this efficient
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#9 » by TyCobb » Fri Feb 9, 2018 7:50 pm

ROballer wrote:Will you at least share that **** Tyson? :lol:
Love the Looney add btw, wouldn't expect anything less. 8-)

Kerr on Kevon:

- "Loon is the guy I know I can count on in terms of knowing every play, executing the schemes defensively. That’s what makes him so valuable for us. He’s always ready and he’s a matchup guy for us. He does a great job.”

- 'Looney “was an amazing example of being a professional is about in this league.”

“He came in and made a huge difference on a night we really needed it,” Kerr said. “It’s hard to explain how important that is for a team to have somebody like Looney who can be professional.”'

- "I trust Looney any point in the game," Steve Kerr told reporters after practice on Tuesday. "We've closed games with him."
"We got a lot of other guys I trust, too ... but the matchups seem to be going his way," Kerr said. "The league continues to trend towards a smaller game, a switching game. He's our best switching 5 -- he and Draymond, obviously, but I don't really consider Draymond a 5.
"Looney's a 5 and he's tremendous at switching and then staying in front of guys and using verticality and not fouling. That's a skill that is gonna help us."

_____

His superteam experience is key, as well as the versatility, high BBIQ, and professionalism.
ROballer
General Manager

Post#10 » by ROballer » Fri Feb 9, 2018 7:50 pm

Anyone thinking both of Lebron and George leaving multiple millions on the board for Randle to get the scraps is insane in my book.
Lebron doesn't need the money, sure...but it's Julius **** Randle, not some All-Star/Superstar here. If it was for a LEGIT 3rd guy, like the Heat summer for example, then yeah, I could see it happen. It's Randle. Him being on our roster is not gonna make or break our season.

Him and George are both getting the max. When they do, the Randle pipe dream falls through no matter how much you really want it to not.

I prefer reality over fantasy. Especially THIS reality I was talking about in the OP. It's enough for me.

Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#11 » by Kilroy » Fri Feb 9, 2018 8:00 pm

ROballer wrote:Anyone thinking both of Lebron and George leaving multiple millions on the board for Randle to get the scraps is insane in my book.
Lebron doesn't need the money, sure...but it's Julius **** Randle, not some All-Star/Superstar here.

Him and George are both getting the max. When they do, the Randle pipe dream falls through no matter how much you really want it to not.

I prefer reality over fantasy. Especially THIS reality I was talking about in the OP. It's enough for me.

There's more to the fact that we traded Nance instead of Randle... It wasn't just about Randle needing a contract, or that Nance was 'more valuable' or some nonsense... Randle and PG are relatively tight off the court since Randle's injury... They share the same Agent, too... And judging from what I've seen of Randle and LeBron together, it seems like those 2 are tight as well...

Don't discount the idea that Randle wasn't traded because PG and LeBron didn't want him traded...

Who knows what's going to happen there... It could certainly go either way, but Randle is already one of the best Small Ball C's in the league and he young and getting better, while the other guys are getting older... He's also a damn good defensive 4 next to an offensive 5, like Brook...
He's not as easy to replace as a lot of people think.
And who knows how much of a paycut we're talking about right now, it may only be a couple mil for those guys... So I'm in the "We're likely to keep Randle" camp...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
ROballer
General Manager

Post#12 » by ROballer » Fri Feb 9, 2018 8:13 pm

We didn't trade Randle because:

A) He doesn't interfere with the FA plans.
B)We didn't get enough of a return to warrant his loss and the impact of it in a season we're giving away our pick to **** Boston and we can't tank.

Underrated aspect is the fact that Randle is a RFA. If a team throws the money at him, he'll **** sign the offer sheet in an instant. That pretty much will seal it. The more the money on the offer sheet, the more Lebron and George will have to leave on the table.
Lebron already publicly stated he'll never leave money on the table again, George is on his first and possibly last fat meal contract.
Buddies my ass. Money do the talking, they always do.

But everybody sees what they want to see, I certainly didn't expect anything less out of you.

Ball so hard
Sixth Man
And1: 677

Post#13 » by Ball so hard » Fri Feb 9, 2018 8:28 pm

Kilroy wrote:
ROballer wrote:Anyone thinking both of Lebron and George leaving multiple millions on the board for Randle to get the scraps is insane in my book.
Lebron doesn't need the money, sure...but it's Julius **** Randle, not some All-Star/Superstar here.

There's more to the fact that we traded Nance instead of Randle... It wasn't just about Randle needing a contract, or that Nance was 'more valuable' or some nonsense... Randle and PG are relatively tight off the court since Randle's injury... They share the same Agent, too... And judging from what I've seen of Randle and LeBron together, it seems like those 2 are tight as well...

Don't discount the idea that Randle wasn't traded because PG and LeBron didn't want him traded...

Who knows what's going to happen there... It could certainly go either way, but Randle is already one of the best Small Ball C's in the league and he young and getting better, while the other guys are getting older... He's also a damn good defensive 4 next to an offensive 5, like Brook...
He's not as easy to replace as a lot of people think.
And who knows how much of a paycut we're talking about right now, it may only be a couple mil for those guys... So I'm in the "We're likely to keep Randle" camp...

I think you're spot on. Based on Randle's play this season, I've be proven dead wrong. I now think Randle is definitely worth keeping around at the right price. However, i'm still somewhat skeptical given the fact that he's in a contract year. Will we see this type of Randle (or even better) after he receives a new contract??? Only time will tell I reckon.
Ball so hard
Sixth Man
And1: 677

Post#14 » by Ball so hard » Fri Feb 9, 2018 8:36 pm

ROballer wrote:We didn't trade Randle because:

B)We didn't get enough of a return to warrant his loss and the impact of it in a season we're giving away our pick to **** Boston and we can't tank.

Underrated aspect is the fact that Randle is a RFA. If a team throws the money at him, he'll **** sign the offer sheet in an instant. That pretty much will seal it. The more the money on the offer sheet, the more Lebron and George will have to leave on the table.
Lebron already publicly stated he'll never leave money on the table again, George is on his first and possibly last fat meal contract.

But everybody sees what they want to see, I certainly didn't expect anything less out of you.

There's also the possibility that Randle will wait a bit before signing an offer sheet if Lebron and George commit relatively quickly. I don't think you're necessarily wrong about those guys not giving up money. In my opinion, if they only have to sacrifice, let’s say 2-3 mil per, I could see one or both sacrifice in order to keep Randle.
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#15 » by iamworthy » Fri Feb 9, 2018 8:58 pm

Randle is becoming a huge topic around here as if something has changed. Nothing I've seen in the past day has changed my mind. Lakers are still on the same path, make room for two max slots. How much money are guys expecting Randle to make? My guess is around 15 million. Once we come up with a dollar figure we can figure out the rest.
StarneyBinston
Junior
And1: 41

Post#16 » by StarneyBinston » Fri Feb 9, 2018 9:15 pm

I haven't seen it discussed (which doesn't mean that it hasn't been talked about, if so please point me to the correct thread), but are we confident that LeBron + PG + the current roster (minus whoever's going to be cut and minor additions through the draft, MLE, or other ways) can beat the Warriors? Or even the Rockets? Would we be committing too much for these 2 while not exactly ensuring definite contention and potentially jeopardizing our ability to resign our young players?

I'm not really arguing one way or another, I have a hard time figuring it out myself, just wanted to know if this was discussed somewhere and if not, to start the debate.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#17 » by TyCobb » Fri Feb 9, 2018 9:28 pm

StarneyBinston wrote:I haven't seen it discussed (which doesn't mean that it hasn't been talked about, if so please point me to the correct thread), but are we confident that LeBron + PG + the current roster (minus whoever's going to be cut and minor additions through the draft, MLE, or other ways) can beat the Warriors? Or even the Rockets? Would we be committing too much for these 2 while not exactly ensuring definite contention and potentially jeopardizing our ability to resign our young players?

I'm not really arguing one way or another, I have a hard time figuring it out myself, just wanted to know if this was discussed somewhere and if not, to start the debate.

- Golden State is not bullet proof.
- Golden State is not deep beyond the starters.
- Golden State is racking up the games going deep into playoffs each season. Normal wear and tear.
- Matchups are key. Youth and size is on our side.
- Our young guns are still getting better (Ingram and Zo, specifically) 4 stars.
- No white flag (surrender) mentality here. Competitiveness is key.
- Our identity of defense first, getting out and running, and sharing the ball is not getting lost with the addition of George and James.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#18 » by Kilroy » Fri Feb 9, 2018 9:36 pm

And I think if James and George do want to beat the GSW, they probably understand that they didn't become who they are today by maxing out 2 guys and hoping to fit role players in around them. All their top guys sacrificed to make it happen, and continue to do so...
Who knows, maybe they got a 3rd guy lined up already that's ready to take a cut to join those 2 and the Lakers to try to knock off the Warriors...

Not sure the details matter a whole lot right now because a ton of things can happen on the way to the post season...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Coach Chris
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#19 » by Coach Chris » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:16 am

I don't think that we get the major FAs this summer (Cousins, PG, Lebron, Durant). Maybe make a run at Aron Baynes on a reasonable contract to play center. I wouldn't mind Looney as a bench player. Maybe make a run at Hezonja, he is finally starting to figure out how to play, I would prefer him over re-signing KCP on another one year big dollar contract.

Ball
Hezonja
Ingram
Randle
Baynes

If you can do that and keep one max open for 2019 we could be in the playoffs. At least that group can play the offense that Luke wants to play.
Coach Chris
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#20 » by Coach Chris » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:19 am

ROballer wrote:We didn't trade Randle because:

I disagree on George's contract, he is playing his eighth season this year, so him signing a 3 year contract with a player opt out after 2 makes a lot of sense for him. He will then have ten years in and can sign for 35% of the cap.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers