ImageImage

Growing Up Guillermo: the Willy Hernangomez Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

bravor
Starter
And1: 737

Re: Growing Up Guillermo: the Willy Hernangomez Thread 

Post#21 » by bravor » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:58 pm

In spanish ("castellano"), the "v" is pronunced a bit like a "b". But "w" is generally as "w" (in case one would say water, ofc he would use the english pronunciation). As for latinos (i mean outside of spain), no idea. Anyway, better ask our fellow spaniard (Thaliontil).

Anyway, i think most american have more trouble when pronuncing the rolling "r".. :P .. as 'herrrnangomez..
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#22 » by HoopsMalone » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:51 am

Hernangomez isn't any good, plays our deepest position, and is already almost 24 for god's sake.

What an awful deal. Those two seconds could have been used on finding us a backup PG for once or taking a lottery ticket on someone.

Even if Hernangomez pans out we'd still have to pay him. Horrible deal.
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#23 » by catch20two » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:03 am

I’ll humbly disagree. Hernangomez is under contract for 1.5 million the next 2 seasons after this one. I’m just hoping that we get a new coach that understands modern basketball and isn’t too stubborn to his own beliefs enough not to experiment.

I’m 100% behind trading Dwight or Cody out and making Hernangomez our backup C going forward. I don’t want to trade Cody but unfortunately he’s the more likely candidate in this scenario that could land us a quality backup PG in return. Hopefully we could dupe someone into taking Frank instead.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#24 » by yosemiteben » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:48 pm

Theory: our FO thought we'd be out of the playoff race post-ASB, and we are planning on trying out rotations involving Willy and Monk for the last 20 games.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,146

Post#25 » by Braggins » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:55 pm

catch20two wrote:I’ll humbly disagree. Hernangomez is under contract for 1.5 million the next 2 seasons after this one. I’m just hoping that we get a new coach that understands modern basketball and isn’t too stubborn to his own beliefs enough not to experiment.

I’m 100% behind trading Dwight or Cody out and making Hernangomez our backup C going forward. I don’t want to trade Cody but unfortunately he’s the more likely candidate in this scenario that could land us a quality backup PG in return. Hopefully we could dupe someone into taking Frank instead.

I wouldn't trade Cody unless someone made an offer too good to pass up. Howard is not good and is definitely gone after next season. If we trade Cody then we are 100% leaning on Willy and Frank to be our centers going forward, which is a scary proposition.

You could maybe argue that we need to divest from the center position in general and focus more on perimeter players, but in that scenario I still wouldn't want my only center options to be plodding shooters who suck at defense. Cody is moderately priced and his defensive versatility and offensive utility make him very easy to build a pretty cheap center rotation around.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,399

Post#26 » by Hornet Mania » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:27 pm

yosemiteben wrote:Theory: our FO thought we'd be out of the playoff race post-ASB, and we are planning on trying out rotations involving Willy and Monk for the last 20 games.

I would be incredibly pleased and impressed if that happened. Rest Kemba some too, the man deserves a break once we're out of it.

I'm interested to see the big Spaniard. Cho usually wins his junk-for-junk trades, so I'm intrigued.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#27 » by yosemiteben » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:59 am

So what do we make of Cho trading for Willy then getting canned two weeks later? Do we think that was a Cho trade? Does management expect a change at the C spot as part of a broader overhaul?

Doesn't seem like ownership would sign off on trading future picks if they knew a FO change was imminent.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,146

Post#28 » by Braggins » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:44 am

yosemiteben wrote:So what do we make of Cho trading for Willy then getting canned two weeks later? Do we think that was a Cho trade? Does management expect a change at the C spot as part of a broader overhaul?

Doesn't seem like ownership would sign off on trading future picks if they knew a FO change was imminent.

Definitely seems odd. I'm hoping its part of a future overhaul. I feel like it would make perfect sense if they were planning to move Howard this offseason (which also makes sense in the context of trying to shed salary). Cody/Willy/Frank seems like a really well rounded and pretty cheap center rotation (with Frank also playing some PF).
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,089

Post#29 » by JDR720 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:34 pm

Hopefully trade Dwight, then cody, frank and willard can be the centers
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#30 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:45 pm

Not so odd. It was a small trade. Cliff was probably on board with it, if not requesting it outright.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,617

Re: RE: Re: Growing Up Guillermo: the Willy Hernangomez Thread 

Post#31 » by fatlever » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:28 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:Not so odd. It was a small trade. Cliff was probably on board with it, if not requesting it outright.

Yeah, I feel the Willie trade was nothing more than Clifford going to the front office begging them for more depth at Center since he was probably tired of playing job as Howard's backup.

Sent from my SM-G920V using RealGM mobile app
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Growing Up Guillermo: the Willy Hernangomez Thread 

Post#32 » by yosemiteben » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:13 pm

fatlever wrote:
Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:Not so odd. It was a small trade. Cliff was probably on board with it, if not requesting it outright.

Yeah, I feel the Willie trade was nothing more than Clifford going to the front office begging them for more depth at Center since he was probably tired of playing job as Howard's backup.

Sent from my SM-G920V using RealGM mobile app
But Cody was already back though.

And they traded for a guy that was traded because he complained about not getting PT. That doesn't seem like the guy you target as Cody injury insurance.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#33 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:20 pm

Is Cody still on a minutes restriction?
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#34 » by yosemiteben » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:31 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:Is Cody still on a minutes restriction?

Good question.
therebirth
Bench Warmer
And1: 61

Post#35 » by therebirth » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:40 pm

Clifford told rick that cho and his staff liked him and wanted to draft him but couldn’t. So cho is been wanting him for a long time.
The curse of Higgins!
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#36 » by BlackOutBuzz » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:50 pm

I still kinda think there was a bigger trade in the works... possibly surrounding Dwight, that just didn't come to fruition.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#37 » by yosemiteben » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:54 pm

I do too.
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#38 » by catch20two » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:30 pm

catch20two wrote:Maybe Cody has knee soreness or re-aggravated his injury in his return and trading for Hernangomez helps preserve the playoff push to save Clifford’s job.

Maybe I called it with this prediction 3 weeks ago or maybe I jinxed it. Let’s just go with the latter.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,165

Post#39 » by Rich4114 » Fri Mar 2, 2018 1:00 pm

I think we need to remember what Cody Zeller provides us. Half a season, really good screening, and about 6pts and 5rpg. I get that we play well with him on the court and that’s not to be disregarded. But relying on that as your primary or backup center is dangerous. I think we pay him $12m/yr too lol.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#40 » by yosemiteben » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:39 am

Read on Twitter

Willy is about to get some PT.

Return to Charlotte Hornets