Key Arena

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

The Future of KeyArena 

Post#1 » by Sweezo » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:54 pm

I guess this qualifies as 'Sonics news' so I am posting it...Eric Williams has an article about the near and distant future of KeyArena, and Ballmer's group appears to still be waiting in the wings if the opportunity to get a team presents itself.

In that time, city officials have moved forward. Seattle Center officials have begun to fill in the 41 open dates the Sonics’ move to Oklahoma City created at KeyArena.

City officials, along with sports-related and business groups interested in keeping KeyArena afloat in a competitive market, have begun working with the state Legislature to secure $75 million to complete a $300 million remodel. The city wants to create an NBA-ready facility with the hope of securing another basketball team in the near future.

According to the settlement, the city could receive another $30 million from Bennett’s group. In order to receive the money, the Legislature would have to fund $75 million toward the KeyArena revamp by Dec. 31, 2009, and Seattle would still have to be without a team by 2013.

Unlike the prior four unsuccessful attempts by the Sonics in Olympia to secure public funding for a new basketball facility, the city is taking a more proactive approach in dealing with state lawmakers in preparation for the 2009 session.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/story/449518.html

One thing I don't get is the line "the city is taking a more proactive approaching in dealing with state lawmakers." If the City expects this to be a successful tactic, why the hell wasn't it employed before?
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Re: The Future of KeyArena 

Post#2 » by jenn_gp » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:44 pm

Sweezo wrote:One thing I don't get is the line "the city is taking a more proactive approaching in dealing with state lawmakers." If the City expects this to be a successful tactic, why the hell wasn't it employed before?

Maybe it's just all smoke and mirrors like it was before? Maybe they don't really care if they get a team back or not after the way Stern treated them and vice versa. I'd like to know what the more pro-active approach is..

What I don't get is why we are settling for another Key Arena remodel after the team is gone. It's pretty evident that if we get the NBA back, they will be knocking on our door once again, demanding an upgrade. Why not just build a brand new arena to try and prevent what happened to us again? Getting a forced comment from Stern about the Key's viability shouldn't mean it is our only option. But I know that Matt Griffin (part of the Ballmer group) is interested in upgrading Seattle Center as a whole.

I am glad to see the Ballmer offer still on the table, but I don't count too much on the state legislature to get anything done. Plus, I just don't see how a remodeled Key arena makes the situation better when looking in the long term future.
Saul2
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Saul2 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:40 pm

Sounds like good news to me. Key Arena isn't a bad venue. I've been to worse. I read that there are some proposals on the table to renovate ALL of Seattle Center. What would that entail? They should get rid of that little mini fairground... it's kinda silly.
Stranglin Spree
Junior
And1: 127

Post#4 » by Stranglin Spree » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:15 pm

I hope the future involves a large bulldozer. With Safeco and the Stadium in town the key arena is like the ugly little bastard child of Seattle venues. Got to get a brand new arena and a brand new team, start fresh and the fans will follow. I live up in Victoria, BC and a bunch of us used to make the trek for Sonic games all the time but they Key is such a dump it really detracts from the interest in the team. Here's to hoping Seattle and Vancouver are part of the L within the next decade
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#5 » by jenn_gp » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:20 pm

I disagree that the Key Arena is a "dump." The building is 13 years old. Sure there is a problem with parking, and there isn't enough luxury suites, but it's hardly a dump IMO. I thought that it was a pleasure watching games..there isn't a bad seat in the house. I still don't totally understand what's wrong with the Key other than the footprint, food concourses, and the lack of suites.

It provides a very intimiate setting that you probably can't find in too many NBA arenas today.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#6 » by jenn_gp » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:59 pm

Since this is related to the topic, there is a story in today's P-I about how Clay is not only taking our team, but has decided to bring tv screens, courtside seats, office chairs, and even a basketball inflator from the Key back to OKC. And get this, the guy can't even afford headphones for the statistician table...he took those from us too.

What class...he has some nerve. I hope it all gets damaged on their way to OKC and isn't usable.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/basketbal ... onx21.html
Dick Tate
Starter
And1: 1,848

Post#7 » by Dick Tate » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:21 am

I blame Nickels for selling all that stuff more than Bennett for taking it. The rest of the Council is still trying to find a way to break it to their children that their first borns will soon be required to move to OKC for slave labor on the Ford Center upgrades.
Frozen316
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#8 » by Frozen316 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:33 am

The Ford Center cost 89 million before the "renovation" and 210.6 with the "renovation". With 300 million they could build one of the best basketball arenas in the nation, if not the world.
spaceballer
Head Coach
And1: 2,707

Re: The moment Seattle gets a basketball team again.. 

Post#9 » by spaceballer » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:09 pm

So what's the state of the situation now that the city council has rejected the Arena plan because they didn't want to demolish streets and hamstring the docks?
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,425

Post#10 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:53 am

spaceballer wrote:So what's the state of the situation now that the city council has rejected the Arena plan because they didn't want to demolish streets and hamstring the docks?

Purgatory?
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 354

Post#11 » by Det the Threat » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:23 am

Well, the moment Seattle gets a basketball team again we're all going to be very old or not alive would be my answer.

There's no way anything gets done in this city as the politicians even voted down a friggin street vacation because the Port was crying about jobs and what not, without ever showing any data to back up any of their claims.
And of course, the old guard of the Seattle Times and Mariners joined in as well, adding pressure to the politicians, while the Port openly pressured them(and their careers) into voting against it.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#12 » by Mr. E » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:37 am

During the Rockets/Kings Summer League game they had Gary Payton on for an interview (his son is playing for the Rockets). One of the things he discussed towards the end was his desire to help get an NBA team back in Seattle. He said that he didn't think that relocation was the answer, so he and others are pushing for expansion.

As much as I hated my guys playing against him back in the day I think that I could listen to him talk basketball for hours.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#13 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:43 am

Mr. E wrote:During the Rockets/Kings Summer League game they had Gary Payton on for an interview (his son is playing for the Rockets). One of the things he discussed towards the end was his desire to help get an NBA team back in Seattle. He said that he didn't think that relocation was the answer, so he and others are pushing for expansion.

As much as I hated my guys playing against him back in the day I think that I could listen to him talk basketball for hours.

Gary is great. The problem is the league won't expand & Seattle politics make it almost impossible to get a new arena passed. It's beyond frustrating. :banghead:
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#14 » by Mr. E » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:36 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr. E wrote:During the Rockets/Kings Summer League game they had Gary Payton on for an interview (his son is playing for the Rockets). One of the things he discussed towards the end was his desire to help get an NBA team back in Seattle. He said that he didn't think that relocation was the answer, so he and others are pushing for expansion.

Gary is great. The problem is the league won't expand & Seattle politics make it almost impossible to get a new arena passed. It's beyond frustrating. :banghead:

I'm one of those who actually believes that the NBA could expand to 32 teams and not see a drop-off in quality. The game is expanding globally, but it's heart will always be here in North America.

That said, I do not support expansion if Seattle is not involved. Not pandering here - it's my legit belief. The Pacific Northwest should have more than one team.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Re: While waiting for a team 

Post#15 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Nov 9, 2017 4:05 am

Det the Threat wrote:No one!

I watch a couple of teams/young players but the interest isn't that huge currently.

BTW: What do you guys make of the current developments in this arena saga?
Seems like OVG will get the nod on Dec. 4th and be able to start rebuilding the Key, while Hansen's done.
Leiweke said the NHL will play there in 2020 while the NBA will follow within 3 - 10(yikes) years.
Also, seems like he's got the backing of both Bettmann and Silver.

You know my take. Prefer Sodo (like the majority). Would like to see both projects get green-lighted. However, Chris' project is pretty much all but dead at this point. No way the city approves Sodo with the OVG MOU.

I'm excited for Hockey. Even though Sodo is the best location by far.

The NBA will be back. It's just going to take a little longer than what we had originally hoped for. A timeline of 5-10 Years is very realistic from my pov.
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Re: While waiting for a team 

Post#16 » by Det the Threat » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:21 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Like expected, Hansen's arena is done.
They're now going to negotiate with OVG on those amendments of the MOU, so they can make their vote on December 4th.
It will need five votes to pass and they just voted for it 5-0, which means those five votes should be secured and the KeyArena project should get started shortly after.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Warriors/Kings preseason game in Seattle (Key Arena Finale) 

Post#17 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:03 pm

Read on Twitter

Wow! The Kings of all teams! :lol:
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Re: NBA Preseason game in Seattle? 

Post#18 » by Det the Threat » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:46 pm

Yeah, the Kings are a strange pick.
Though, it will be in a matchup against the Warriors on October 6th.

So this guy will be back playing in Seattle.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Re: Warriors/Kings to play preseason game in Seattle 

Post#19 » by DoItALL9 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:08 am

Would Portland have been a better pick if even just to root against?

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
Atomic Punk
Pro Prospect
And1: 328

Re: Warriors/Kings to play preseason game in Seattle 

Post#20 » by Atomic Punk » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:10 am

Very cool and a good sign in my opinion. The choice of teams though? Curious to say the least.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball