Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,436

Re: 2018 NBA Draft 

Post#1781 » by buzzkilloton » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:45 pm

Atlhawks09 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:They'll have to pick #1 then because Doncic is going 1st. Hes the best prospect. He fits every team perfectly.

No he is not a lock to go #1

I know Aytons in consideration as well. When push comes to shove though a player like Doncic is just so valuable in todays nba that I dont think anyones going to pass up on him. If they do I think its a big mistake. Not to say the other prospects arent good prospects just that Doncic is a sure thing to be good-great. Its a guard/wings league nowadays.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,636

Post#1782 » by Alatan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:10 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
Atlhawks09 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:They'll have to pick #1 then because Doncic is going 1st. Hes the best prospect. He fits every team perfectly.

No he is not a lock to go #1

I know Aytons in consideration as well. When push comes to shove though a player like Doncic is just so valuable in todays nba that I dont think anyones going to pass up on him. If they do I think its a big mistake. Not to say the other prospects arent good prospects just that Doncic is a sure thing to be good-great. Its a guard/wings league nowadays.

Doncic has 0 elite skills and a big weakness in his athletic ability compared to other starting NBA players. How is he a lock to be good/great? He is a lock to be serviceable but far from a certain star in the NBA.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,757

Post#1783 » by nolang1 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:43 pm

Alatan wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
Atlhawks09 wrote:No he is not a lock to go #1

Doncic has 0 elite skills and a big weakness in his athletic ability compared to other starting NBA players. How is he a lock to be good/great? He is a lock to be serviceable but far from a certain star in the NBA.

Doncic is a lead guard who's basically PF sized. I don't see how he's less athletic than someone like Joe Johnson, and Doncic is more skilled than that.
Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#1784 » by Alatan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:13 pm

nolang1 wrote:
Alatan wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:

Doncic is a lead guard who's basically PF sized. I don't see how he's less athletic than someone like Joe Johnson, and Doncic is more skilled than that.

Last time i checked 6 7 220 lbs is sf size and are we talking about current Joe that is a 1000 years old and comes of the bench ?
TripleA1
Ballboy
And1: 11

Post#1785 » by TripleA1 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:13 pm

Alatan wrote:
nolang1 wrote:
Alatan wrote:

Last time i checked 6 7 220 lbs is sf size and are we talking about current Joe that is a 1000 years old and comes of the bench ?

PFs have downsized from even a few seasons ago.
I looked at NBA teams depth charts & he's about the same size of more than half of starting PFs.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,622

Post#1786 » by Mirotic12 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:13 pm

Alatan wrote:Last time i checked 6 7 220 lbs is sf size and are we talking about current Joe that is a 1000 years old and comes of the bench ?

Doncic is more like 6-8 230.
Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#1787 » by Alatan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:34 pm

TripleA1 wrote:
Alatan wrote:
nolang1 wrote:

I looked at NBA teams depth charts & he's about the same size of more than half of starting PFs.

I've checed and your statement is not correct. Almost all starting PFs are 6 8+ 230+ with most being 6 9 235 with much better wingspans than Doncic. That means he cant guard the 4 and can be guarded by 2s 3s and 4s. The only advantage he has is over PGs but if he is going to be a 1st or second option he will be guarded by the oposing teams best or 2nd best perimeter defender who are usually wing players with similar size.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,415

Post#1788 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:35 pm

Alatan wrote:
nolang1 wrote:
Alatan wrote:

Ive seen reports that he is 6'8 but lets say he is 6'7. Now this is not from watching but from reading other's reports on him and from looking at the stats. But we are talking about an 18 year old that is top 3 in scoring, top 10 in efficiency (eFG%), top 10 in assists and top 10 in steals. This is with him shooting just 32% from 3 and many people seem to have plenty of faith that his shooting will be no issue in the long haul because of his form/shooting touch/FT shooting. For an 18 year old to be doing that against the 2nd best league in the world, thats pretty impressive.

And athletically is he really all that less athletic than say a James Harden? From the clips and 1-2 games Ive watched of Doncic, Id put him around the same type of athlete Harden is. I can definitely see why so many people are so high on him.
Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#1789 » by Alatan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:05 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Alatan wrote:
nolang1 wrote:

Ive seen reports that he is 6'8 but lets say he is 6'7. Now this is not from watching but from reading other's reports on him and from looking at the stats. But we are talking about an 18 year old that is top 3 in scoring, top 10 in efficiency (eFG%), top 10 in assists and top 10 in steals. This is with him shooting just 32% from 3 and many people seem to have plenty of faith that his shooting will be no issue in the long haul because of his form/shooting touch/FT shooting. For an 18 year old to be doing that against the 2nd best league in the world, thats pretty impressive.

And athletically is he really all that less athletic than say a James Harden? From the clips and 1-2 games Ive watched of Doncic, Id put him around the same type of athlete Harden is. I can definitely see why so many people are so high on him.

Euroleague is the 2nd best league in the world but its much closer to college than to the NBA. There are plenty of very, very good euroleague players that are only high quality bench players, decent starters.

Doesnt matter if he is 6'7 or 6'9 since if he gets bigger he will most likely get even slower. He doesnt have the COMBINATION of size, speed and skill to be a permanent mismatch.

He will probably become a better shooter but i dont know would it be enough for a star level.

Harden is super explosive at changing speeds and directions. He is also strong and still a better leaper than Doncic. Put that in combination with his elite shooting, great handles and good playmaking and you have a superstar offensive player. Doncic will be a poor mans Harden. A good starter, possibly a borderline allstar but i would go further.
TripleA1
Ballboy

Post#1790 » by TripleA1 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:24 pm

Alatan wrote:
TripleA1 wrote:
Alatan wrote:

I've checed and your statement is not correct. Almost all starting PFs are 6 8+ 230+ with most being 6 9 235 with much better wingspans than Doncic. That means he cant guard the 4 and can be guarded by 2s 3s and 4s. The only advantage he has is over PGs but if he is going to be a 1st or second option he will be guarded by the oposing teams best or 2nd best perimeter defender who are usually wing players with similar size.

He was measured at 230 at 17.
He has higher or equal standing reach(within 1/2 inch) a measurement at 17 years old: Harrison Barnes,Draymond Green,Kevin Love,James Johnson,Aaron Gordon,Tobias Harris,James Johnson,Thaddeus Young,Kevin Love,RHJ,Jamycheal Green,Marcus & Markieff Morris,Carmelo Anthony,Marquese Chriss,Paul Milsap.
TripleA1
Ballboy

Post#1791 » by TripleA1 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:33 pm

Yeah but he's quite slow & not ripped. Gaining weight is something he should not do. He's heavy but not that powerful.
He needs to improve his body comp & peak at strength to weight.
Harden,Pierce were faster & had more power.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 6,313

Post#1792 » by RookieStar » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:31 pm

Yeah which is which about that 6'7 or 6'8? For me it doesn't really matter that much because he will play on the perimeter so that extra inch won't matter compared to say playing down low.

Was he measured Euro-style? ( someone said they measure them barefoot ) or NBA ( they measure with shoes on and may/may not add an inch )
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,622

Post#1793 » by Mirotic12 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:57 pm

RookieStar wrote:Yeah which is which about that 6'7 or 6'8? For me it doesn't really matter that much because he will play on the perimeter so that extra inch won't matter compared to say playing down low.

Was he measured Euro-style? ( someone said they measure them barefoot ) or NBA ( they measure with shoes on and may/may not add an inch )

Doncic is supposedly,

6-6 1/2 without shoes
6-8 with shoes
6-11 wingspan
230 pounds
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#1794 » by buzzkilloton » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:17 am

Alatan wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
Atlhawks09 wrote:No he is not a lock to go #1

Hes got an elite basketball IQ. Hes a fine athlete. Hes playing vs men at 18 years old in the 2nd toughest league in the world. Top Euro prospects usually dont even play minutes. Theirs a reason nba scouts are drooling over him.

"Yeah but he's quite slow & not ripped. Gaining weight is something he should not do. He's heavy but not that powerful.
He needs to improve his body comp & peak at strength to weight.
Harden,Pierce were faster & had more power."

Hes not going to get slower putting on muscle and working with nba strength and conditioning coaches. Hes going to get more explosive.

Harden and Pierce were older then him when they were on the map as prospects hes 18.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,363

Post#1795 » by Mr B » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:48 am

Doncic is more athletic than Steve Nash. He has elite BBIQ and passing skills. He’s also a good shooter that should also improve in that area. Last I checked Nash did fairly well in the NBA without elite athleticism. In the right system Doncic will flourish in the NBA. He could easily become a 6’8” Steve Nash.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,843

Post#1796 » by Upperclass » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:37 am

Watching Satoransky of Was, struggling to turn the corner.. and having to score on incredibly difficult shots.. There's no way I could be comfortable taking Doncic over Ayton, Bagley or Jaren Jackson Jr. He seems like a fun player to coach though, a would love to have him on my squad.. but not over talent with superior athleticism and translatable skills. I think he's in the Porter, Young, Sexton category from 4-7. His ceiling is about equal to his floor.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#1797 » by buzzkilloton » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:29 am

Upperclass wrote:Watching Satoransky of Was, struggling to turn the corner.. and having to score on incredibly difficult shots.. There's no way I could be comfortable taking Doncic over Ayton, Bagley or Jaren Jackson Jr. He seems like a fun player to coach though, a would love to have him on my squad.. but not over talent with superior athleticism and translatable skills. I think he's in the Porter, Young, Sexton category from 4-7. His ceiling is about equal to his floor.

Really dude your comparing the greatest Euro prospect ever to Tomas Satoransky? A guy who was drafted with the last pick in the 2nd round? Just because hes European your comparing Doncic to this guy? Thats absurd.....come on bro!

SportsGuy8
Starter
And1: 1,050

Post#1798 » by SportsGuy8 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:34 am

It's funny how having any of the possible amazing athletic abilities is considered being "elite" at something, but being one of the best prospects in history when it comes to the most important thing, that is actually knowing how to play this game, isn't.

Doncic is elite at actually being good at ... you know ... BASKETBALL! In a similar way that Bird was (but obviously a different kind of player).
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,843

Post#1799 » by Upperclass » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:34 am

buzzkilloton wrote:
Upperclass wrote:Watching Satoransky of Was, struggling to turn the corner.. and having to score on incredibly difficult shots.. There's no way I could be comfortable taking Doncic over Ayton, Bagley or Jaren Jackson Jr. He seems like a fun player to coach though, a would love to have him on my squad.. but not over talent with superior athleticism and translatable skills. I think he's in the Porter, Young, Sexton category from 4-7. His ceiling is about equal to his floor.

Really dude your comparing the greatest Euro prospect ever to Tomas Satoransky? A guy who was drafted with the last pick in the 2nd round? Just because hes European your comparing Doncic to this guy? Thats absurd.....come on bro!

I'm comparing foot speed off the dribble.. which is of the utmost importance for a perimeter player. If you check the Doncic thread, I was one of the first people comparing him to Harden a year + back. But that doesn't negate the fact that he is going to have loads of trouble doing anything but moving the ball to cutters and shooters and hitting an open J.. nevermind defensively
SportsGuy8
Starter
And1: 1,050

Post#1800 » by SportsGuy8 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:58 am

He's an ELITE P'n'R player, not just passing, but great at timing his own penetrations very well by reading when his defender is putting weight on the wrong foot (because the defender is focusing on the incoming pick). This alone creates lots of opportunities for him to penetrate & finish or pass.

So even if he ends up not being able to beat his defenders 1on1 (personally I think that's nonsense, though; everyone in Europe is timid 1on1 because there are always defenders waiting in the paint due to no defensive 3 seconds rules), he's still going to be able to do it with the help of picks (something even most NBA stars use).

Return to NBA Draft