Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Daniel Gafford 

Post#1 » by logical_art » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:00 am

What's people's take on him?

I think he's the best big man athlete in the draft by a good margin. Not only explosive but really fluid and with great body control. Almost looks like a small forward movement wise. Shooting form looks solid and his awareness/BBIQ looks alright.

I like him a lot as a late lottery upside pick.
bigworld2017
Pro Prospect
And1: 407

Re: Daniel Gafford 

Post#2 » by bigworld2017 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:21 pm

logical_art wrote:What's people's take on him?

I think he's the best big man athlete in the draft by a good margin. Not only explosive but really fluid and with great body control. Almost looks like a small forward movement wise. Shooting form looks solid and his awareness/BBIQ looks alright.

I like him a lot as a late lottery upside pick.

I like him as a prospect. A lot. His game against Auburn last night was probably an eye opener for a lot of people. I'm not sure he's coming out after one year. But if he does I'd love to see him available with the Bulls 2nd 1st round pick (from the Pelicans) that's currently slotted at # 20. But if he decides to come out and keeps putting up performances like he did yesterday, and shows up well at the combine, he might not be available at #20. I would currently pick him as the 4th big in this draft. Ayton, Bagley and JJJ are higher. But based on the athleticism he shows, the shot blocking potential, I'd take him over Wendell Carter. Carter, to me, looks like a potential starter at the "5" but nothing special. Gafford looks like he could have a much higher upside. A year or two of NBA level strength training, some work on his mid-range game, and he could be a real beast.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#3 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:56 pm

I'm not too high on him. We saw a very similar situation with Marques Chriss two years ago. A draft that lacked depth, then late in the year a raw athletic forward shot up the draft boards and someone took him top ten. I actually think Chriss was a better prospect coming out over Gafford, Chriss had a much more offense potential because he had potential with his jumper. I also thought Chriss was there better overall athlete as well. I thought Chriss was a reach in his draft and I think Gafford would be a reach in the lotto in this draft.
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#4 » by 916fan » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:53 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:I'm not too high on him. We saw a very similar situation with Marques Chriss two years ago. A draft that lacked depth, then late in the year a raw athletic forward shot up the draft boards and someone took him top ten. I actually think Chriss was a better prospect coming out over Gafford, Chriss had a much more offense potential because he had potential with his jumper. I also thought Chriss was there better overall athlete as well. I thought Chriss was a reach in his draft and I think Gafford would be a reach in the lotto in this draft.

I don't like any type of Chriss comparisons because they're not the same players, and they aren't in the same situations. It's a weird comparison because they're not similar players at all. If you want to talk about scenario and situation, Zach Collins makes much more sense. Unexpected athletic freshman PF/C who rises up into the lotto.
NDave79
Sixth Man
And1: 1,348

Post#5 » by NDave79 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:56 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:I'm not too high on him. We saw a very similar situation with Marques Chriss two years ago. A draft that lacked depth, then late in the year a raw athletic forward shot up the draft boards and someone took him top ten. I actually think Chriss was a better prospect coming out over Gafford, Chriss had a much more offense potential because he had potential with his jumper. I also thought Chriss was there better overall athlete as well. I thought Chriss was a reach in his draft and I think Gafford would be a reach in the lotto in this draft.

I think the potential key difference between Gafford and Chriss is Gafford seems to possibly have the size and instincts to become a defensive anchor at the 5 position. These days, it seems their is a massive difference in the offensive skills required to be effective at the 4 vs the 5. If you can't man the 5 spot defensively, you almost need to have the skills of wing that can shoot.

Chriss only measured an 8'9" standing reach and never looked like a potential center imo.

So I'll be curious to see Gafford's measurements.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#6 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:58 pm

916fan wrote:

I don't like any type of Chriss comparisons because they're not the same players, and they aren't in the same situations. It's a weird comparison because they're not similar players at all. If you want to talk about scenario and situation, Zach Collins makes much more sense. Unexpected athletic freshman PF/C who rises up into the lotto.

Zach Collins is a legit 7 footer that is skilled offensively. Gafford is a 6'10 raw athlete that has shown pretty much 0 range offensively with his jumper. I think hes rising up people's draft boards because people are having a hard time filling out their top 10 with legit prospects so they get enamored by a raw athletic big. Thats what I thought with the Chriss situation 2 years ago and thats just what I think with Gafford. I dont see any special skills, I just see a raw athletic PF.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#7 » by GimmeDat » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:39 pm

I like him, but based off the assumption that he has the ability to be a 5, full time. He seems long and athletic enough to do so. If he was a 4, like Duke thinks, then I wouldn't think nearly as highly of him because the skill-set just isn't there offensively.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#8 » by doordoor123 » Thu Mar 1, 2018 12:44 am

I’m still high on Chriss, but I thought it was pretty clear he was someone that needed to be developed. A big issue with Chriss is his lack of maturity and his inability to learn more. He’s also just kind of clumsy. IMO if he didn’t have mental issues he would be worthy of a lottery pick.

I will say that Gafford does have similar concerns. He looks clumsy at times and might not be all there in the head, but he’s worth the gamble. I also think he has the potential for a super soft touch with his big hands and he has a tendency to finish with traffic using his length, which is pretty big. I also think he’s a better passer and sees the floor better than Chriss. He’s a project so he’s a gamble, but IMO if someone has all-star attributes they’re worth the gamble. Not everyone can move like him and he’s still only 18. He has a real chance to develop into something special, which can’t be said for many players.

Having said that, Chriss is still young and I haven’t given up on him. He needs to mature and make the game his life. Maybe he needs a different environment, which I thought was something he needed when he was drafted. He needed a tough coach and instead he got the carousel that is the Phoenix Suns. He needed real vets and a real coach.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#9 » by nolang1 » Thu Mar 1, 2018 3:13 am

I'd say whatever Gafford lacks in athleticism he makes up for in length/standing reach and along with better instincts, he's likely to be much better than Chriss as a defender and rebounder. On offense, he makes some legitimate post moves and is much better at knowing his limitations than Chriss. He seems to be getting more comfortable with his jump shot, and if he shows more improvement there in the combine/workouts I could see him going in the teens.
logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#10 » by logical_art » Thu Mar 1, 2018 7:10 am

Looks a little like Camby to me.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#11 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 1, 2018 2:19 pm

Gafford's much more of a rim protector center prospect - especially as his body gets stronger - and since he's just 19, that should be happening over the next couple of years. Chriss is more of a stretch 4, imo. I think Gafford's a bit of a project but a nice prospect - and with the a dip after the top 10 or 12 prospects, he's got a chance to sneak up in the teens.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
bigworld2017
Pro Prospect
And1: 407

Post#12 » by bigworld2017 » Thu Mar 1, 2018 5:18 pm

Various sites list him at 6-11" with a 71" or 72" wingspan. He's gotten 7 or more blocks in at least two games since Jan 1st. He moves very well for his height. And I see no reason why he couldn't get up to 240-250 lbs by the time he's 22 or 23...I just hope he's available to my Bulls when our Pelican's pick rolls around.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,191

Post#13 » by Catchall » Thu Mar 1, 2018 10:12 pm

He needs to add strength (as does any freshman). His athleticism and potential as a help defender are legit. I just am not seeing enough of a skill level at this point to think he'll be more than a John Henson or Larry Nance Jr. -- basically, a 3rd or 4th big. If he had a handle, an off-the-dribble game, and the ability to finish creatively with either hand, he'd be an elite lottery prospect. I'm just not seeing it right now.

If he adds some weight and strength and commits to playing the 5, then he could be a solid rim protector/rim runner type--e.g., Clint Capella, Jarrett Allen, etc.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
toussaud
Junior
And1: 238

Post#14 » by toussaud » Sat Mar 3, 2018 5:00 am

bout time ya'll came around lol. posted about him back in november being a possible 1 and done.

as an arkansas fan i've seen every game

he's def a center. not a stretch 4.

he plays with an intensity that will serve him well in the NBA.

think of him as a poor man's WCS the way he is able to switch defenders.

I'd take him in the late lotto. he's a work horse. only been playing basketball 5 years.

Marcus Camby is an adapt comparison. He's a hoss down low and doesn't back down from anyone and will fight you for it

right now the thinking is he comes back. I wouldn't care either way we're going to suck next year one way or the other
Cheesin
Freshman
And1: 84

Post#15 » by Cheesin » Sat Mar 3, 2018 6:06 am

He's the John Colllins of last years draft

Freak atheltes that size usually pan out. Worst case is like McGee or Stromile Swift.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#16 » by doordoor123 » Sat Mar 3, 2018 6:16 am

Cheesin wrote:He's the John Colllins of last years draft

Freak atheltes that size usually pan out. Worst case is like McGee or Stromile Swift.

He’s for sure a different player than JaVale. JaVale was more athletic and had a better body. Gafford has a better feel for the game, is more fluid and a bit smaller. I also think Gafford has more potential scoring next to the basket and learning moves. He potentially has a super soft touch.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#17 » by Catchall » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:58 am

Gafford hit a jumper in the tourney this week. I guess that's news. If he measures well and shows he can shoot a bit, teams will start believing in him. The athleticism, reactions and defensive instincts are certainly there.

Who would you guys take between Robert Williams and Gafford at this point?
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
toussaud
Junior
And1: 238

Post#18 » by toussaud » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:19 am

rober williams to me is kinda of an underachiver. he's goign to be a bust. he just doesn't have the moter or want to.

needs to seriously work on his FT shooting. but ohter than that, ohe's going to be a plug and play center in 2 years
RedIndian
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,804

Post#19 » by RedIndian » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:58 am

Get a very John Henson vibe from him.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#20 » by Catchall » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:17 pm

RedIndian wrote:Get a very John Henson vibe from him.

I think he's quicker and runs the floor better than Henson, but the lack of impact away from the rim on offense is comparable at this stage. That's the risk with him. He needs to be able to put the ball down a bit. I'm not sure I've even seen any straight-line drives from him yet.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh

Return to NBA Draft