Release the Kraken!

Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,970

Re: NHL to Seattle? 

Post#61 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:41 am

Scott Hall wrote:
The Oilers vs. Stars series of the late 90's was the best hockey I've EVER seen. I'm not a fan of either team obviously although I've had affairs with the Oilers as my Western Conference team periodically (lol) but if I was to show a non Hockey fan a series to get them interested I'd show them the Oilers vs. Stars series. I saw it on ESPN Classics a few years ago and it still holds up. God I miss 90's hockey and hate how there's next to no checking or fighting in todays game.

That's great that you've passed/shared your interest/passion for the game to others and your family. It must irk you to hear other Americans say "Nobody cares about hockey here" etc.

The game seems to do well regionally but not nationally and I don't get it... I don't get why the TV ratings are that bad?

I should say I did lose a lot of interest in the 2000's to early 20teens... There was a severe talent shortage after the Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman, Sakic, Modano, Roy, Coffey, Francis, Hawerchuk etc etc era retired, the 2 lockouts, the changing of the point system, shoot outs, division realignment, home teams wearing dark sweaters at home etc really bothered me...

But the Stanley Cup Playoffs always sucked me in and they ALWAYS delivered every frigging year. The NHL "may" have the most boring regular season but man it goes from worst to first every playoffs.

I'm not American so I don't know why the Sport doesn't get more attention and not much media spotlight other then a lot of hockey players have boring personalities and don't cause much drama but I'm curious to what American hockey fans think the biggest problems are?

Also Otis I saw you retweeted by Tim Cowlishaw today haha

I’ve said for years that part of the problem with hockey’s growth in the states can be traced back to the 80’s - when you had two of the great dynasties in the history of the game... and the average sports fan down here never saw them. That was when the NHL was rarely if ever on OverTheAir TV and cable was still in its infancy. Then as Cable grew, broadcasts went to the rumored Sports Channel which hardly anyone got. Missed out on the end of the 70’s Canadiens... the 80’s Islanders and the heyday of Gretzky and the Oilers. Awful hard to sell your product and the great players in it when no one can watch.

I love the playoffs. Even when the Stars have been on the sidelines, the playoffs always deliver - as you note. With all due respect to my beloved Mavs and the inevitable nut kick I get annually from the Rangers, I will pay scant attention to the NBA & MLB playoffs if those two aren’t in them. I am riveted to the NHL playoffs. I have “friends” from the old SI Fan Nation forum that are Pens fans... Caps fans... Red Wings fans... Flames fans... Habs fans... Blues fans... even a couple of lowly Laffs fans :wink: - and when the playoffs start our Email group is buzzing for two months. Hockey fans are the best.

Now - the Cowlishaw story. In 1999, Game 7 against the Avs. Cowlishaw wrote an article detailing why he felt the Stars were going to win. He had 5 bullet points and the first letter of each bullet point spelled K-E-A-N-E.

I still have a copy of that article somewhere...
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,399

Re: NHL Seattle Expansion 

Post#62 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Mar 1, 2018 6:49 pm

Read on Twitter

Fyi Vegas took 48 Hours to reach 5k.

Seattle...10k sold in just 12mins, 25k in an hour. :lol:

Read on Twitter
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,604

Post#63 » by Scott Hall » Sun Mar 4, 2018 12:56 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Yes, I live in the Seattle Area.

I'm a casual fan if I'm being completely honest. Still trying to fully pick up the sport lol.

Is it because Seattle had an NFL, MLB and NBA Team (at the time) that you weren't an NHL fan because
it was the only sport missing in the city?

Hockey is a really easy sport to understand not to complicated...

Yes, without an NHL team, hockey has just never been as popular as it could be in Seattle & the NorthWest. Growing up my first love was basketball. I loved the Sonics. I went to alot of UW Football games as a kid as well. So, that also sparked my love for Football. People need to experience Hockey for it to grow.

It's the same here in Toronto we have everything but the NFL so Football isn't that big and the CFL is a joke here
and nobody cares. Growing up we got every Bills game on TV and radio and this was when they went to 4 straight
Super Bowls so I was kind of into them but I didn't like some hardcore Bills fans I knew in real life and a couple of
teachers I had so I stopped lol.

Then I was into the Cowboys for a few years but then I found out they were the most popular team in the league
and had a lot of bandwagon fans so I felt dirty about that because I felt like a front runner. So then I became a Pats
fan because they were crap at the time and I really liked Drew Bledsoes game and then Boston became our biggest
sports rival and I couldn't root for a Boston team so I just gave up and became a casual fan of the league but without
a dog in the race I've really lost interest the last several years. There's a lot of Football fans in Toronto if you go to any
sports bar on a Sunday Afternoon there will be quite a handful of people watching wearing different teams jerseys.

But it's a distant 4th compared to the other big 3 sports and after the Bills were close to moving here a few years ago
it doesn't seem will be getting an NFL team anytime soon and be stuck with the CFL. If we had an NFL team though
I know we'd be a top 5 or top 10 fanbase for sure.

I've always looked at Seattle the same kind of way it's also a great sports city and I don't blame them for not
rooting for the Canucks and if they had an NHL team it probably would have a top 5-10 fan base.

If you play video games or Fantasy Sports maybe playing the NHL video game or playing fantasy hockey would help
get you into the league before the team arrives in 2020.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#64 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Mar 4, 2018 1:45 am

Scott Hall wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
Is it because Seattle had an NFL, MLB and NBA Team (at the time) that you weren't an NHL fan because
it was the only sport missing in the city?

Hockey is a really easy sport to understand not to complicated...

Yes, without an NHL team, hockey has just never been as popular as it could be in Seattle & the NorthWest. Growing up my first love was basketball. I loved the Sonics. I went to alot of UW Football games as a kid as well. So, that also sparked my love for Football. People need to experience Hockey for it to grow.

It's the same here in Toronto we have everything but the NFL so Football isn't that big and the CFL is a joke here
and nobody cares. Growing up we got every Bills game on TV and radio and this was when they went to 4 straight
Super Bowls so I was kind of into them but I didn't like some hardcore Bills fans I knew in real life and a couple of
teachers I had so I stopped lol.

Then I was into the Cowboys for a few years but then I found out they were the most popular team in the league
and had a lot of bandwagon fans so I felt dirty about that because I felt like a front runner. So then I became a Pats
fan because they were crap at the time and I really liked Drew Bledsoes game and then Boston became our biggest
sports rival and I couldn't root for a Boston team so I just gave up and became a casual fan of the league but without
a dog in the race I've really lost interest the last several years. There's a lot of Football fans in Toronto if you go to any
sports bar on a Sunday Afternoon there will be quite a handful of people watching wearing different teams jerseys.

But it's a distant 4th compared to the other big 3 sports and after the Bills were close to moving here a few years ago
it doesn't seem will be getting an NFL team anytime soon and be stuck with the CFL. If we had an NFL team though
I know we'd be a top 5 or top 10 fanbase for sure.

I've always looked at Seattle the same kind of way it's also a great sports city and I don't blame them for not
rooting for the Canucks and if they had an NHL team it probably would have a top 5-10 fan base.

If you play video games or Fantasy Sports maybe playing the NHL video game or playing fantasy hockey would help
get you into the league before the team arrives in 2020.

Football is such a great game. I've been a fan of the Hawks since I moved back to the area (20 years ago). Mike Holmgren came over from Green Bay soon after & I've been hooked really ever since.

Seattle will embrace hockey. Especially if the team is at least somewhat successful. I mean 33,000 season ticket deposits is a pretty good indicator already I'd say. :wink:
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#65 » by Scott Hall » Sun Mar 4, 2018 10:17 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
The Oilers vs. Stars series of the late 90's was the best hockey I've EVER seen. I'm not a fan of either team obviously although I've had affairs with the Oilers as my Western Conference team periodically (lol) but if I was to show a non Hockey fan a series to get them interested I'd show them the Oilers vs. Stars series. I saw it on ESPN Classics a few years ago and it still holds up. God I miss 90's hockey and hate how there's next to no checking or fighting in todays game.

That's great that you've passed/shared your interest/passion for the game to others and your family. It must irk you to hear other Americans say "Nobody cares about hockey here" etc.

The game seems to do well regionally but not nationally and I don't get it... I don't get why the TV ratings are that bad?

I should say I did lose a lot of interest in the 2000's to early 20teens... There was a severe talent shortage after the Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman, Sakic, Modano, Roy, Coffey, Francis, Hawerchuk etc etc era retired, the 2 lockouts, the changing of the point system, shoot outs, division realignment, home teams wearing dark sweaters at home etc really bothered me...

But the Stanley Cup Playoffs always sucked me in and they ALWAYS delivered every frigging year. The NHL "may" have the most boring regular season but man it goes from worst to first every playoffs.

I'm not American so I don't know why the Sport doesn't get more attention and not much media spotlight other then a lot of hockey players have boring personalities and don't cause much drama but I'm curious to what American hockey fans think the biggest problems are?

Also Otis I saw you retweeted by Tim Cowlishaw today haha

I’ve said for years that part of the problem with hockey’s growth in the states can be traced back to the 80’s - when you had two of the great dynasties in the history of the game... and the average sports fan down here never saw them. That was when the NHL was rarely if ever on OverTheAir TV and cable was still in its infancy. Then as Cable grew, broadcasts went to the rumored Sports Channel which hardly anyone got. Missed out on the end of the 70’s Canadiens... the 80’s Islanders and the heyday of Gretzky and the Oilers. Awful hard to sell your product and the great players in it when no one can watch.

I love the playoffs. Even when the Stars have been on the sidelines, the playoffs always deliver - as you note. With all due respect to my beloved Mavs and the inevitable nut kick I get annually from the Rangers, I will pay scant attention to the NBA & MLB playoffs if those two aren’t in them. I am riveted to the NHL playoffs. I have “friends” from the old SI Fan Nation forum that are Pens fans... Caps fans... Red Wings fans... Flames fans... Habs fans... Blues fans... even a couple of lowly Laffs fans :wink: - and when the playoffs start our Email group is buzzing for two months. Hockey fans are the best.

Now - the Cowlishaw story. In 1999, Game 7 against the Avs. Cowlishaw wrote an article detailing why he felt the Stars were going to win. He had 5 bullet points and the first letter of each bullet point spelled K-E-A-N-E.

I still have a copy of that article somewhere...

Wasn't the NHL on ESPN in the 90's and early 2000's?

Even though I've become a bigger NBA fan over the years (a lot of that has to do with the Leafs futility) I'm the same
every year I'm captivated by the NHL playoffs. Usually the NBA playoffs are extremely predictable and lot's of blowouts
either 30 point games or series over in 4 or 5 games. Also the Baseball season is so long and in April and May I'd rather watch
an NHL and NBA playoff game then a baseball game unless my Blue Jays are off to some amazing start.

It seems the NHL is fairly big in the cities that have teams but it doesn't resonate with the rest of the country like
the other sports. NHL needs to do a better job selling/advertising the playoffs how could anyone not be entertained?
I was captivated by Nashville last year and this year Las Vegas.

What's your take on the Stars new jerseys and logo? To be honest I can't stand them as they seem like an AHL team
to me and I'm a traditionalist and I loved the Stats jerseys and logo of the late 90's early 2000's...

Also do you think Houston and San Antonio would make great hockey markets?

That's cool about your email group sounds like it would be fun...

To bad newspapers are starting to become extinct I love keeping old historic articles like that
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#66 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Mar 4, 2018 11:50 pm

Scott Hall wrote:Wasn't the NHL on ESPN in the 90's and early 2000's?

It was but Football & Basketball have always outperformed hockey in the ratings department.

The lockout really hurt the growth of the game here. ESPN dropped the NHL & the game hasn't grown because of it.

Scott Hall wrote:It seems the NHL is fairly big in the cities that have teams but it doesn't resonate with the rest of the country like the other sports. NHL needs to do a better job selling/advertising the playoffs how could anyone not be entertained?

The NFL, NBA & MLB are also seen on more than one network. The NHL has given NBC exclusive rights. Which has really hindered the games exposure here in the States. This is why hockey is last compared to the other sports. The game can't grow if it's not shown. The NHL has only itself to blame here.

NBA games are broadcast nationally on ESPN/ABC, and Turner Sports (TNT). NFL games are shown on ESPN, NBC, CBS & Fox
(Maximum exposure). MLB also is shown on ESPN, Fox & Turner Sports.
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#67 » by Scott Hall » Mon Mar 5, 2018 2:31 am

Cactus Jack wrote:

It was but Football & Basketball have always outperformed hockey in the ratings department.

The lockout really hurt the growth of the game here. ESPN dropped the NHL & the game hasn't grown because of it.

Scott Hall wrote:It seems the NHL is fairly big in the cities that have teams but it doesn't resonate with the rest of the country like the other sports. NHL needs to do a better job selling/advertising the playoffs how could anyone not be entertained?

The NFL, NBA & MLB are also seen on more than one network. The NHL has given NBC exclusive rights. Which has really hindered the games exposure here in the States. This is why hockey is last compared to the other sports. The game can't grow if it's not shown. The NHL has only itself to blame here.

NBA games are broadcast nationally on ESPN/ABC, and Turner Sports (TNT). NFL games are shown on ESPN, NBC, CBS & Fox

Yup that's why a lot of people hate Bettman he really **** up the National TV deal and hasn't really grown the
game that much South of the Border.

Another thing is NCAA Football and Basketball is so big especially to the States that don't have Pro Sports teams and
NCAA Hockey isn't that big overall.

As for ESPN I'm glad to hear millions of Americans are slashing it off their cable it's become a glorified TMZ/BET Network
and Fox Sports is just as bad.

I just have this feeling the NHL is ready to have a big boom in the next decade it will never be as big as the other 3
but it should close the gap and be close to equal footing just a vibe I get with no evidence to prove it haha
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#68 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Mar 5, 2018 3:12 am

Scott Hall wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Yup that's why a lot of people hate Bettman he really **** up the National TV deal and hasn't really grown the

Another thing is NCAA Football and Basketball is so big especially to the States that don't have Pro Sports teams and

As for ESPN I'm glad to hear millions of Americans are slashing it off their cable it's become a glorified TMZ/BET Network

I just have this feeling the NHL is ready to have a big boom in the next decade it will never be as big as the other 3
but it should close the gap and be close to equal footing just a vibe I get with no evidence to prove it haha

Football is always going to be in demand because the season is shorter (Each game has greater significance). Basketball, Hockey, and Baseball are at a disadvantage due to the amount of games played.

College Football is king, but College Basketball is popular due to March Madness. People don't actually tune in until the tournament gets underway. Betting has also played a big part in it's popularity.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#69 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Mar 5, 2018 5:29 pm

Scott Hall wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

but it should close the gap
and be close to equal footing just a vibe I get with no evidence to prove it haha

And - I believe it can. However, the Buttplug needs to understand that limiting broadcasts to the regional sports networks and NBC isn't enough. Having those entities AND ESPN would help tremendously. And with the recent purchase of the regional Fox outlets by the World Wide Leader, there is a legitimate chance to make that happen. The other thing the Poison Dwarf needs to do - change the stupid blackout rule that keeps me from watching the over the air Stars broadcast on the Dallas affiliate that I do not get even though I live within the 75 mile radius. The NBA doesn't do that and I can watch the Mavs on my iPad app or on a secondary Fox channel. Why the NHL doesn't go to that model is beyond me but I don't even waste my time with the NHL app.
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#70 » by Scott Hall » Tue Mar 6, 2018 4:54 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:It was but Football & Basketball have always outperformed hockey in the ratings department.

but it should close the gap
and be close to equal footing just a vibe I get with no evidence to prove it haha

And - I believe it can. However, the Buttplug needs to understand that limiting broadcasts to the regional sports networks and NBC isn't enough. Having those entities AND ESPN would help tremendously. And with the recent purchase of the regional Fox outlets by the World Wide Leader, there is a legitimate chance to make that happen. The other thing the Poison Dwarf needs to do - change the stupid blackout rule that keeps me from watching the over the air Stars broadcast on the Dallas affiliate that I do not get even though I live within the 75 mile radius. The NBA doesn't do that and I can watch the Mavs on my iPad app or on a secondary Fox channel. Why the NHL doesn't go to that model is beyond me but I don't even waste my time with the NHL app.

Hey Otis came across this article on twitter and thought it was a good read with Stars CEO Jim Lites
talking about growing the game in Dallas back in 1993 and if Houston would be a good market.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/article/Dallas-Stars-CEO-Jim-Lites-I-would-love-the-12723344.php

Also speaking of twitter I followed you today and noticed you followed back thanks
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#71 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Mar 6, 2018 1:18 pm

Scott Hall wrote:
Hey Otis came across this article on twitter and thought it was a good read with Stars CEO Jim Lites
talking about growing the game in Dallas back in 1993 and if Houston would be a good market.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/article/Dallas-Stars-CEO-Jim-Lites-I-would-love-the-12723344.php

Also speaking of twitter I followed you today and noticed you followed back thanks

I give Mr. Lites a ton of credit for his efforts in growing the game here. Other than Modano, he might be the most important component. He was constantly on the Ticket (the primary sports radio outlet here who also broadcasts Stars games) selling the product. I didn't realize we had three sheets of ice in McKinney (30 miles south of here and just north of Allen). They are everywhere around the Metroplex, constantly in use... and it's because of his efforts. He hit all of the points I've tries to share with people over the years... including the fact that I think Houston would be a terrific add in the near future. Nothing grows the game like a rivalry and as my buddies on RealGM from the Houston area will attest, the Dallas / Houston rivalry is real.

Thanks for the follow on Twitter. You will find me all over the place... and my cynical sense of humor shines bright. A few of my old Fan Nation hockey buddies are in my follow list. Beware of that Canuck eh chap from Vancouver. He despises (in good humor) any and all things To***to except when the Blow Jays played the Rangers.

Yep. I said that.
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#72 » by Scott Hall » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:07 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:

I give Mr. Lites a ton of credit for his efforts in growing the game here. Other than Modano, he might be the most important component. He was constantly on the Ticket (the primary sports radio outlet here who also broadcasts Stars games) selling the product. I didn't realize we had three sheets of ice in McKinney (30 miles south of here and just north of Allen). They are everywhere around the Metroplex, constantly in use... and it's because of his efforts. He hit all of the points I've tries to share with people over the years... including the fact that I think Houston would be a terrific add in the near future. Nothing grows the game like a rivalry and as my buddies on RealGM from the Houston area will attest, the Dallas / Houston rivalry is real.

Thanks for the follow on Twitter. You will find me all over the place... and my cynical sense of humor shines bright. A few of my old Fan Nation hockey buddies are in my follow list. Beware of that Canuck eh chap from Vancouver. He despises (in good humor) any and all things To***to except when the Blow Jays played the Rangers.

Yep. I said that.

What's going on with the Stars? I want them to make the playoffs and have a deep run this year as always though
the concerns over the goaltending remain the same. Western Conference playoff race is pretty crazy though just like
the NBA. Would be the perfect time to make some noise this year with the Mavs rebuilding and the Rangers expected
to suck.

Will be interesting how the NHL will try and get Houston in without wanting to move the Coyotes or Hurricanes.
I guess Calgary is a canidate but it would be so weird without the Flames especially if Edmonton stays they're almost
like a package deal go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Vancouver has big penis envy when it comes to Toronto... They absolutely despise us yet people from Toronto could
care less about people from Vancouver and consider them irrelevant. It's like a little dog barking at a big dog and the
big dog is uninterested. The funny thing is most of them end up being Raptors and Blue Jays fans so I don't know how
that works.

I already like all the trash talk from Seattle to Vancouver and they don't even officially have a team yet lol
Vancouver bitches to everybody :lol:
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#73 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:32 am

Scott Hall wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:

Yep. I said that.

What's going on with the Stars? I want them to make the playoffs and have a deep run this year as always though the concerns over the goaltending remain the same. Western Conference playoff race is pretty crazy though just like the NBA. Would be the perfect time to make some noise this year with the Mavs rebuilding and the Rangers expected to suck.

Will be interesting how the NHL will try and get Houston in without wanting to move the Coyotes or Hurricanes. I guess Calgary is a canidate but it would be so weird without the Flames especially if Edmonton stays they're almost like a package deal go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Vancouver has big penis envy when it comes to Toronto... They absolutely despise us yet people from Toronto could care less about people from Vancouver and consider them irrelevant. It's like a little dog barking at a big dog and the big dog is uninterested. The funny thing is most of them end up being Raptors and Blue Jays fans so I don't know how that works.

I already like all the trash talk from Seattle to Vancouver and they don't even officially have a team yet lol Vancouver bitches to everybody :lol:

Goaltending isn’t our problem. Problem is having a top line and a bunch of fourth lines. The game at Air Canada was an aberration compared to the last couple of weeks... and it took moving Radulov down a line to get another line that puts any level of effort at going to the net. Losing Hanzal has crippled his team more than anyone imagined possible but geez - the lack of any scoring at all by anyone not named Benn, Seguin or Radulov is just frustrating as hell.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#74 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue May 22, 2018 8:03 pm

One step closer...

Read on Twitter
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#75 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:13 pm

The group hoping to bring the NHL to Seattle has hired Dave Tippett as a senior adviser.

The Oak View Group -- led by investment banker David Bonderman, longtime sports executive Tim Leiweke and Hollywood producer Jerry Bruckheimer -- agreed on a privately financed $660 million deal in December 2017 with the city of Seattle to renovate KeyArena downtown. As a hockey venue, it is expected to seat about 17,000. In March, the group launched a season-ticket drive and said it reached 25,000 deposits within the first hour. That exceeds the goal of 10,000 deposits -- which was reached in the first 12 minutes.

The group has already submitted paperwork, including a $10 million down payment, to the NHL to be its 32nd franchise. Earlier this month, commissioner Gary Bettman said he expects the board of governors to vote on Seattle's addition "in the fall, early winter at the latest."

Tippet isn't the only big name that the Oak View Group has brought on. Tod Leiweke, Tim's brother who left his job as the NFL's COO in March, is set to become the team's CEO and president. League sources tell ESPN that Tippett was pursuing other coaching opportunities this past season; it is unclear if he will be considered as Seattle's inaugural head coach.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/23831768/seattle-group-hires-former-coyotes-coach-dave-tippett
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,514

Post#76 » by nomansland » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:10 pm

Mr Swagtastic wrote:Not to be a downer but I don't think Seattle should be getting the next NHL team. I think Quebec is the next NHL ready market. Hockey is like a religion in Quebec and as bad as the Montreal Canadians are right now they are still selling out games. I get that Seattle is a great sports city but what happens if they fail? The city will be on the hook for a $600+ million arena and be left selling the team for pennies on the dollar.

Also are they talking about a new expansion team like The Las Vegas Golden Knights? or a relocation of say The Arizona Coyotes? Either way I think it's a risky venture that will not pay off, if anything Seattle should be getting a NBA back first

FWIW the city will not be on the hook for anything here. OVG is responsible for all of the costs and even if the team is a major failure and folds or moves, they still intend to use the arena for concerts and whatnot. Even in its current state with terrible acoustics and relatively few entertainment acts, Key Arena manages to stay revenue neutral for the city, so OVG smells a multi-layered opportunity.

And I think they'll be successful for a few different reasons. We have a lot of transplants from other cities with NHL teams. We're close to Canada. There's no other NHL team in the PNW. And the NBA totally screwed themselves- even if they deem us worthy of another team down the line, the void for a spring/winter sport has been filled and many of those potential fans will be more interested in the Kraken (?) and/or Sounders.

I can't claim to be a big hockey fan but it'll be cool to have a team and I'll probably go to a few games despite the **** arena location. Live hockey, imo, is better than televised hockey and having access to it should help generate interest and appreciation for the game.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#77 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:26 pm

nomansland wrote: the void for a spring/winter sport has been filled and many of those potential fans will be more interested in the Kraken (?) and/or Sounders.

I just don't see the appeal.

Minor League Soccer (MLS) is a snooze fest. :sleep:

If the NHL team is even remotely successful, it will easily surpass the Sounders in popularity. Logically speaking. :wink:
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,514

Post#78 » by nomansland » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:45 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
nomansland wrote: the void for a spring/winter sport has been filled and many of those potential fans will be more interested in the Kraken (?) and/or Sounders.

I just don't see the appeal. :wink:

If the NHL team is even remotely successful, it will easily surpass the Sounders in popularity. Logically speaking. :wink:

I think a lot of MLS fans don't understand how inferior the league is to other international soccer. I didn't get it until I went to a Mexican league game in Mexico City. It was pretty surprising how much better the players were and the match was between UNAM who was in last place and another team who was in the middle of the standings.

But the departure of the Sonics is *the* main reason the Sounders are one of the most popular MLS teams in the country. When they left a sports void was created, you had all these people with money and free time, so they gravitated to the Sounders. The NBA totally blew it and they're about to blow it again.

At this point I'm kind of like, eff the NBA. LA went for what, 25 years without an NFL team? If the NBA wants to come back, great, I'll go to see the Nuggets when they're in town, otherwise League Pass is fine.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#79 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:21 pm

nomansland wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

I just don't see the appeal. :wink:

I think a lot of MLS fans don't understand how inferior the league is to other international soccer. I didn't get it until I went to a Mexican league game in Mexico City. It was pretty surprising how much better the players were and the match was between UNAM who was in last place and another team who was in the middle of the standings.

But the departure of the Sonics is *the* main reason the Sounders are one of the most popular MLS teams in the country. When they left a sports void was created, you had all these people with money and free time, so they gravitated to the Sounders. The NBA totally blew it and they're about to blow it again.

At this point I'm kind of like, eff the NBA. LA went for what, 25 years without an NFL team? If the NBA wants to come back, great, I'll go to see the Nuggets when they're in town, otherwise League Pass is fine.

Yeah, I follow the Premier league & Liverpool closely. But, the quality of MLS is so poor in comparison.

I think if the Sounders played in a smaller venue on grass, the perception would also improve greatly. :wink:

I expect Hockey to blow up here honestly. The Seahawks & UW Football will always be first. But, it won't take long for Hockey to establish itself in the region.

As far as the NBA goes, I'm with ya. When the team left, I pretty much ignored it.

Then when Chris Hansen went public with his plans, my interest grew. But after the Kings fiasco, like a lot of fans, I was burnt out on the NBA once again.

KD signing with the Warriors changed that. I finally had a team that I could bandwagon. :biggrin:
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#80 » by Scott Hall » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:15 am

nomansland wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:Not to be a downer but I don't think Seattle should be getting the next NHL team. I think Quebec is the next NHL ready market. Hockey is like a religion in Quebec and as bad as the Montreal Canadians are right now they are still selling out games. I get that Seattle is a great sports city but what happens if they fail? The city will be on the hook for a $600+ million arena and be left selling the team for pennies on the dollar.

Also are they talking about a new expansion team like The Las Vegas Golden Knights? or a relocation of say The Arizona Coyotes? Either way I think it's a risky venture that will not pay off, if anything Seattle should be getting a NBA back first

FWIW the city will not be on the hook for anything here. OVG is responsible for all of the costs and even if the team is a major failure and folds or moves, they still intend to use the arena for concerts and whatnot. Even in its current state with terrible acoustics and relatively few entertainment acts, Key Arena manages to stay revenue neutral for the city, so OVG smells a multi-layered opportunity.

And I think they'll be successful for a few different reasons. We have a lot of transplants from other cities with NHL teams. We're close to Canada. There's no other NHL team in the PNW. And the NBA totally screwed themselves- even if they deem us worthy of another team down the line, the void for a spring/winter sport has been filled and many of those potential fans will be more interested in the Kraken (?) and/or Sounders.

I can't claim to be a big hockey fan but it'll be cool to have a team and I'll probably go to a few games despite the **** arena location. Live hockey, imo, is better than televised hockey and having access to it should help generate interest and appreciation for the game.

If I was a betting man I'd bet the farm Seattle is gonna be a smashing success almost or as close to what Las Vegas is.
There is gonna be guys in their 30's, 40's, 50's etc that have barely watched any hockey because Seattle never had
a team (not including the Metros) and because ESPN and FOX barely give it love because they don't have the TV
contracts anymore that absolutely fall in love with the league/sport and become die hards instantly.

Even most objective sports fans will tell you that the NHL has the best playoffs in all of sports even if Hockey is
their 4th favorite sport or lower. In the NBA we always know what the Finals are gonna be every year and
there is so many constant blowouts that are over in the first half of games.

Also NHL fans travel well almost more than any sport they like to support their teams on the road and invade
other teams buildings especially with geographic rivals which makes things more fun especially since you
play them a lot. Also there's more parity and big markets don't have an advantage over small markets and
you don't have all the stars in the league clamoring to play with each other or all of them just wanting to play in LA.

I really think the NHL is about to have another boom. After the hey day in the 80's and 90's the most talented
generation ever guys like Gretzky, Mario, Messier, Roy, Yzerman, Sakic, Bourque, Hasek, Roenick etc etc all retired
and there was a massive talent drought outside of Crosby and Ovechkin. Then the league expanded with Nashville,
Columbus, Atlanta and Minnesota within 2 years that changed things a lot. Then with Sports cracking down on
concussions and stuff the league isn't as violent as it used to be with less bone smashing hits and fighting way down
and with 2 lockouts with one resulting in the cancellation of an entire season a lot damage was done.

Now there has been a wave of new young superstars that have come into the league the last few years scoring
is up from rule changes, Expansion teams from the 90's have all grown up and most have become good fun
markets and TV ratings are up the last few years.

As for the NBA most big cities support both and don't pit them against each other Seattle seems like the
type of city where both the NHL and NBA team can coexist fine in the same arena and get cosntant
sellouts and love for both from the locals.

Return to The General NHL Board