Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Luka Doncic Part III 

Post#1 » by Ruzious » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:44 pm

The passionate discussion about him has been amazing. They ask us to close threads by page 100, so I'm closing Part II. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1646786&start=1960
Enjoy.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LukaV
Senior
And1: 687

Re: Luca Doncic Part III 

Post#2 » by LukaV » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:07 pm

I'm "happy" that the injury that finally forced a rest for him was a minor one instead of a bigger one. It's the best possible injury situation of all injury situations.

It will hopefully lead to him resting a lot and thus having enough energy for the end of the season without his fatigue increasing the odds of a serious injury. With Real's long-injured players finally slowly returning, I'm optimistic both about Real's chances and Doncic's chances for playing well in the last months of the seasons, without any big injuries.
SportsGuy8
Starter
And1: 1,050

Post#3 » by SportsGuy8 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:11 pm

I'm really curious to see how Luka does when he comes back from his injury. If they don't rush him back, he should have substantially more energy.

Oh and obligatory 1st page GIF:
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,380

Post#4 » by DaddyCool19 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:54 pm

So nbadraft.net has him as the 6th pick. How realistic is that? I think there is no way he slips past 4th pick (maybe even 3rd).
SportsGuy8
Starter

Post#5 » by SportsGuy8 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:07 pm

Almost all well respected sites/mocks have him as 1st or 2nd pick (after Ayton).

Whoever has the final say with NBADraft.net's rankings really seems to be a bit ignorant about Doncic, as evidenced by their player comparisons. It would be one thing if they assessed him correctly and THEN put him so low, I would respect that, but they're clearly ignorant about his actual game and abilities, so I wouldn't put much stock into their rankings.
realEAST
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#6 » by realEAST » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:41 pm

I've been thinking about it a bit, and since my Bulls seem to be out of position to get Doncic, I'd like to see him go to Memphis the most.

No. 1, it is small market carrying less pressure, but one where he would be seen as clear franchise centerpiece for future, and important player right away imo.

He'd benefit from playing along a PG like Conley who imo is perfect guard along Doncic, especially as he matures, both as type of player (defense, floor general, shooter) and mentor. Also there is Gasol there who should make aclimatisation at least a bit easier. Also, Doncic imo works better with this type of C than strictly athletic beasts with little offensive game, as seen with Reyes this year. Also, having Green and Brooks as players who fit 3&D profile around him, along very good defenders in Conley and Gasol, should make it easier on defense initially as wing, SF.

Also, fact they'd look to be competitive would work as positive for him given his competitive spirit and fact that he has so far played his best in important games; but also fact he wouldn't be the primary focus of opp defenses, and would have room to play and improve (having ball in his hands with 2nd unit).

Lineup of Conley-Brooks-Doncic-Green-Gasol would be pretty interesting as a team, and good for Doncic development imo since it would offer a chance of competitive basketball, as well enough room and lack of pressure so he could develop. Amd he offers Grizzlies just what they lack, now and in the future.
Thespianoid
RealGM
And1: 78,794

Post#7 » by Thespianoid » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:32 pm

yo Razeisu fix the title :lol:
Clementine9 wrote:Missed shots are unfortunate, but it's the trends throughout the game that matter.

Choker wrote:The swing in how Raptors fans have supported and turned on Powell is a good case study of human behavior.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,323

Re: Luka Doncic Part III 

Post#8 » by CptCrunch » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:07 pm

Anyone drafting Ayton over him will be making a humongous mistake. Ayton is not a top 3 prospect this draft.

Doncic is the clear number 1.
SportsGuy8
Starter

Post#9 » by SportsGuy8 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:29 pm

realEAST wrote:I've been thinking about it a bit, and since my Bulls seem to be out of position to get Doncic, I'd like to see him go to Memphis the most.

No. 1, it is small market carrying less pressure, but one where he would be seen as clear franchise centerpiece for future, and important player right away imo.

He'd benefit from playing along a PG like Conley who imo is perfect guard along Doncic, especially as he matures, both as type of player (defense, floor general, shooter) and mentor. Also there is Gasol there who should make aclimatisation at least a bit easier. Also, Doncic imo works better with this type of C than strictly athletic beasts with little offensive game, as seen with Reyes this year. Also, having Green and Brooks as players who fit 3&D profile around him, along very good defenders in Conley and Gasol, should make it easier on defense initially as wing, SF.

Also, fact they'd look to be competitive would work as positive for him given his competitive spirit and fact that he has so far played his best in important games; but also fact he wouldn't be the primary focus of opp defenses, and would have room to play and improve (having ball in his hands with 2nd unit).

Lineup of Conley-Brooks-Doncic-Green-Gasol would be pretty interesting as a team, and good for Doncic development imo since it would offer a chance of competitive basketball, as well enough room and lack of pressure so he could develop. Amd he offers Grizzlies just what they lack, now and in the future.

There's a long-term problem with Memphis in that they would simply immediately be at least a borderline playoff team with that lineup, but obviously nowhere near good enough to be contenders. And if Doncic does end up becoming a real star, he could end up being on a pretender/treadmill team for his whole career, even after Gasol gets too old, with draft picks in the 15-20 range. Even if a team is very smart, picking in that range is still a crapshoot. And you can forget about good FA signings in Memphis.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,907

Post#10 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:16 am

3 point shooting by Doncic:

2016 Spainish League 42%
2016 Euroleague 31%
2017 Spanish League 31%
2017 Euroleague 37%
2017 FIBA 31%
2018 Spanish League 31%
2018 Euroleague 32%

When I watch him he looks like a good shooter but has to take a lot of contested 3s due to being the offensive initiator and having shot creation limitations. Then you could say play him off ball more to get open catch and shoot but then he's less Luka Doncic.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,053

Post#11 » by bwgood77 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:39 am

His game is kind of like Harden's no? Harden's #s are obviously inflated due to D'Antoni's offense, but Doncic's would be too. I think they have a lot of similarities.
Ball4life32
Veteran
And1: 2,454

Post#12 » by Ball4life32 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:19 am

paulbball wrote:Anyone drafting Ayton over him will be making a humongous mistake. Ayton is not a top 3 prospect this draft.

:lol:
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#13 » by thamadkant » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:23 am

paulbball wrote:Anyone drafting Ayton over him will be making a humongous mistake. Ayton is not a top 3 prospect this draft.

Doncic is a beast

but to\say Ayton is not top 3 is nuts..

He's top 3 in almost everyones rankings...
burek3
Pro Prospect
And1: 538

Post#14 » by burek3 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:43 am

Yeah, that's a ridiculous take...
Even I would say that Ayton has slight advantage over Doncic.

It all depends on the EL playoff performance, whether Doncic will earn himself the spot or not. Recency is always a factor in these things I presume.

Unless front offices/scouts have already made up their mind ages ago. Then Luka is absolute no.1
"Holy f**k" :o
- DeAndre Jordan
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,242

Post#15 » by UcanUwill » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:01 am

bwgood77 wrote:His game is kind of like Harden's no? Harden's #s are obviously inflated due to D'Antoni's offense, but Doncic's would be too. I think they have a lot of similarities.

Yes, Harden is his ceiling. Evan Turner is his floor.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,242

Post#16 » by UcanUwill » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:04 am

Im afraid Ayton could end up Center version of Wiggins. Thats my worry with him.
SportsGuy8
Starter

Post#17 » by SportsGuy8 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:34 am

I have my doubts about Ayton also, but not in a Wiggins-way. Wiggins had a TS% of 56 in college, a number that's worrisome considering the competition. Ayton's is 65, a massive difference.

Wiggins' problem is that he's just not a smart player, he keeps forcing things, taking bad, low efficiency shots. That doesn't seem to be Ayton's problem, even though he's also a bit too prone to taking long 2s.
juanc
Pro Prospect
And1: 830

Post#18 » by juanc » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:40 am

Who do you guys think will be a better player 5 years from now? Wiggins or Dončič? And why?
realEAST
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#19 » by realEAST » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:43 am

SportsGuy8 wrote:
realEAST wrote:I've been thinking about it a bit, and since my Bulls seem to be out of position to get Doncic, I'd like to see him go to Memphis the most.

There's a long-term problem with Memphis in that they would simply immediately be at least a borderline playoff team with that lineup, but obviously nowhere near good enough to be contenders. And if Doncic does end up becoming a real star, he could end up being on a pretender/treadmill team for his whole career, even after Gasol gets too old, with draft picks in the 15-20 range. Even if a team is very smart, picking in that range is still a crapshoot. And you can forget about good FA signings in Memphis.

I think they'd have two good seasons befor Gasol expires and Conley enters last year being 32/33, and with Doncic being only 21/22 at that point, and imo not yet developed enough to single handedly lead the team to PO, next two season could be ones to add talent through draft. And if he really is good enough to make a bad team fringe playoff at the age of 22, then there could be at least some second tier star interested in going there.
SportsGuy8
Starter

Post#20 » by SportsGuy8 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:51 am

juanc wrote:Who do you guys think will be a better player 5 years from now? Wiggins or Dončič? And why?

To me Doncic is the better player RIGHT NOW.

To me, Wiggins brings negative value to a team. He's a scorer who sucks at scoring with his terrible efficiency. Wiggins simply doesn't know how to play the game, he only has individual skills/abilities and even many of them are questionable.

Return to NBA Draft