Best college player you've ever seen?

Moderator: bwgood77

dukes_wild
RealGM
And1: 50,145

Re: Best college player you've ever seen? 

Post#41 » by dukes_wild » Sat Dec 2, 2017 5:44 am

Michael Beasley was fantastic, not the best I've seen but I think his terrible NBA career has made people forget that he was a monster as a 19 year old
Geddy wrote:You're probably scratching your balls and eating cheese puffs

Ice Trae wrote:Is it just me or does Derrick Rose look like Jean Claude Van Damme
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#42 » by Pennebaker » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:44 am

Probably J.J. Redick.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#43 » by SeattleJazzFan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:24 pm

Probably David Robinson. Jimmer and Morrison were both pretty special carrying lesser programs to success. But David Robinson is the best I remember. He'd be followed closely by Shaq, Lionel Simmons, Iverson and Ewing.

Also, If Trae Young continues to play at this level through Big 12 play - leading the nation in scoring and assists on efficient numbers, he will make his way on that list.
Silurianblues
Ballboy
And1: 26

Post#44 » by Silurianblues » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:59 am

Bill Walton was the most dominant player I recall.

Most exciting guard, also from Walton's era, that I saw a lot of personally, was Ernie DiGregorio, Ernie D, the only player Bob Cousy said reminded him of Bob Cousy. Best passer I ever saw.
DQuinn1575
Sixth Man
And1: 705

Post#45 » by DQuinn1575 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:17 pm

Lalouie wrote:1...lew alcindor
2...bill walton
3...sidney wicks
4...ralph sampson
5...bill bradley
6...larry bird

I thought I'd never see anyone share a table with alcindor and walton but sampson was special. No pf has ever done what wicks did to future hof'er artis gilmore. Bradley and bird were similar in their college career for what they did.

I struggled with where I should draw the line and I decided here because I think THIS club is exclusive.... Adding anyone else would open the gates.

The only time I ever saw pistol live, ucla and wicks pounded lsu by 50. Every player on lsu looked like pistol - same floppy hair LOL. I think that was by design. My best kept secret was Dave Bing. I liked everything about him... High flyer, great catchy name

I started watching college ball right after Alcindor left UCLA- the name to add to your list would be David Thompson - beat player I saw person was easily Larry Bird.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#46 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jan 4, 2018 10:51 am

Leonard Bias

I'm biased. I met him briefly at Maryland. Used to see him every day in passing but at the time I was in awe. He spoke to me was down to earth.

He was the best player. He was a better ACC player to Michael Jordan. The NCAA game where Maryland lost a Houston's Phi Slama Jamma sealed it for me.

Bias was the best player on the court that day. Olajuwon and everybody else on that team could not stop him.

Bias kept improving as a shooter even with triple teams on him.

Olajuwon, David Robinson, Ewing, David Thompson, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird and many other people arguably were even better.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#47 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jan 4, 2018 10:52 am

Wayman Tisdale dominated in college...

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Best college player you've ever seen? 

Post#48 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jan 4, 2018 10:53 am

tidho wrote:Ralph Sampson, Danny Manning

There was some legitimate talent in college when the top guys were staying longer than a year.

Them, too.

Players were more complete.

Isaiah Thomas out of Indiana was also a great college player.

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Best college player you've ever seen? 

Post#49 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jan 4, 2018 10:55 am

SeattleJazzFan wrote:Probably David Robinson. Jimmer and Morrison were both pretty special carrying lesser programs to success. But David Robinson is the best I remember. He'd be followed closely by Shaq, Lionel Simmons, Iverson and Ewing.

Also, If Trae Young continues to play at this level through Big 12 play - leading the nation in scoring and assists on efficient numbers, he will make his way on that list.

Trae Young has a chance to be the best point guard ever.

The guy is quite possibly better than Steph Curry.

Bye bye Beal.
DoubleEagle4
Sophomore
And1: 82

Post#50 » by DoubleEagle4 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:33 pm

I think a lot of people forget how dominant KD was his freshman year at Texas. Also Steph Curry was insane in the tournament with Davidson. JJ Reddick, Tyler Hansbrough, Adam Morrison, Anthony Davis & Doug McDermott come to mind in recent years.
Bobby Plump
Junior
And1: 214

Post#51 » by Bobby Plump » Thu Feb 1, 2018 10:11 pm

Silurianblues wrote:Bill Walton was the most dominant player I recall.

Most exciting guard, also from Walton's era, that I saw a lot of personally, was Ernie DiGregorio, Ernie D, the only player Bob Cousy said reminded him of Bob Cousy. Best passer I ever saw.

Yes indeed, Bill Walton. He had THE epic NCAA championship vs Memphis State in 1973. 44 points on 21 of 22 field goal attempts.

GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#52 » by GoGreen » Mon Feb 5, 2018 9:32 am

Honourable mention to Len Bias. What a tragedy. Would have been nothing short of a pleasure to watch him play professional basketball.
Themaster007_v2
Freshman
And1: 49

Post#53 » by Themaster007_v2 » Thu Feb 8, 2018 5:44 am

I've seen plenty but I'd like to show some love to Kevin Love. I don't think he gets enough recognition but this kid was such a power house/bully/crafty at UCLA. I remember around draft time, he was assessed as a lower tier lottery pick who happened to get taken higher in the draft. As a fan of UCLA, I said to myself, "Taking Love at No. 5 is quite a reach. I'm not sure if his game will translate well given that he isn't the most athletic guy nor the most conditioned/fitted. You can get away with playing PF/C in college because you're a lot stronger, bigger, and more talented then these other kids but I'm not sure if he can do that in the NBA" Watching him in college, his skill set offensively was FAR superior than everyone. From shoot to the put backs. He made everything look easy! Looking back at his career now, who would've thought he would make the All Star team multiple times, lead the league in rebounds (15 rpg), and play at a high level. I knew he had the skill set to be great but his conditioning (he was freaking fat) was always the question (That was also a knock on him by many scouts).
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#54 » by miltk » Fri Feb 9, 2018 7:54 am

Lew Alcindor

Bill Walton

Sidney Wicks

Ralph Sampson

Austin Carr

Elvin Hayes

Magic

Bill Bradley

Alcindor and Walton are automatic. I saw things Walton did that the pro basketball fans never saw from Bill
"the pro". Best quickest spin move of ANYONE over 6'11" ever. And Sidney was Lebron before Lebron. Name me college PF who ever led his team to TWO ncaa banners. I cannot choose among the three Bruins as they each had a particularly dominant affect on the game....and Wicks hung out in my dorm ;)

When Sampson demolished either Ohio St or Kansas(cannot remember) it was the only time I ever saw a big come close to Walton and Alcindor in dominance.
RonMexico915
Sophomore
And1: 50

Post#55 » by RonMexico915 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:29 am

Doug McDermott
Glenn Robinson
Keith Van Horn
Keydren Clark
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,356

Post#56 » by bwgood77 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:35 am

miltk wrote:Lew Alcindor

Bill Walton

Sidney Wicks

Ralph Sampson

Austin Carr

Elvin Hayes

Magic

Bill Bradley

Alcindor and Walton are automatic. I saw things Walton did that the pro basketball fans never saw from Bill
"the pro". Best quickest spin move of ANYONE over 6'11" ever. And Sidney was Lebron before Lebron. Name me college PF who ever led his team to TWO ncaa banners. I cannot choose among the three Bruins as they each had a particularly dominant affect on the game....and Wicks hung out in my dorm ;)

When Sampson demolished either Ohio St or Kansas(cannot remember) it was the only time I ever saw a big come close to Walton and Alcindor in dominance.

I didn't watch the old school guys in college, but obviously from my knowledge, Alcindor and Walton are up there. But one omission I wonder about on your list in Bird, mainly because for another reason I was looking at his college numbers today, and he averaged 30/13/4.5 for his three years. Magic I looked at too and he was more like 17, 7 and 7 in his two years.

Bird must have been incredibly impressive to watch, though his school probably wasn't on tv much.
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#57 » by miltk » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:45 am

bwgood77 wrote:
miltk wrote:Lew Alcindor

Bill Walton

Sidney Wicks

Ralph Sampson

Austin Carr

Elvin Hayes

Magic

Bill Bradley

I didn't watch the old school guys in college, but obviously from my knowledge, Alcindor and Walton are up there. But one omission I wonder about on your list in Bird, mainly because for another reason I was looking at his college numbers today, and he averaged 30/13/4.5 for his three years. Magic I looked at too and he was more like 17, 7 and 7 in his two years.

Bird must have been incredibly impressive to watch, though his school probably wasn't on tv much.

back then, you had to be dialed in locally to see bird i think. there was no internet or 20 ncaaM games per week. i never saw him until the finals
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,910

Post#58 » by Fo-Real » Wed Mar 7, 2018 6:52 pm

Shaq, Michael Beasley, (forgotten man, Im from Arizona) Miles Simon
Bucketz_McGee
Junior
And1: 352

Post#59 » by Bucketz_McGee » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:57 pm

markjay wrote:Lew Alcindor

I don't see how anyone could argue against him. The NCAA banned dunking between 1967 and 1976 which is attributed the dominance of Lew.
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring". :meditate:
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,309

Post#60 » by DrCoach » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:14 am

Shout out to Chris Jackson

Return to NCAA Basketball