March Madness | NBA prospect watch

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Re: March Madness | NBA prospect watch 

Post#261 » by BlueSan » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:34 pm

Noobslife wrote:Allen could've closed this game. It didn't have to go to OT. He costed the game.

Meh I think thats harsh on him, he did really well at the end with drawing two fouls and hitting free throws. I think bigs of Duke should have done more, but really wasnt their fault that much as Kansas did amazing in working their asses off in defense with double D on Bagley and in general trying to overcome the mismatches at the rim
BlueSan
Sixth Man

Post#262 » by BlueSan » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:35 pm

oh yeah amazing game and amazing Result now Villanova, Kansas, Loyola Michigan. I like those 4 in final 4 ;)
Tigersrule
RealGM
And1: 7,543

Post#263 » by Tigersrule » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:35 pm

Refs cost Duke that game tbh. That call on Wendel Carter changed the entire game.
anthony00
Analyst
And1: 1,514

Post#264 » by anthony00 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:37 pm

Tigersrule wrote:Refs cost Duke that game tbh. That call on Wendel Carter changed the entire game.

:roll: :nonono:
B-Ball Freak
RealGM
And1: 11,433

Post#265 » by B-Ball Freak » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:38 pm

Tigersrule wrote:Refs cost Duke that game tbh. That call on Wendel Carter changed the entire game.

Kansas played better at the end can't put it all on the refs....they had actual plays Duke not so much.
BlueSan
Sixth Man

Post#266 » by BlueSan » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:38 pm

Guys did I have this correct All points of Kansas by Newman only and 11 points? :P
anthony00
Analyst
And1: 1,514

Post#267 » by anthony00 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:39 pm

BlueSan wrote:Guys did I have this correct All points of Kansas by Newman only and 11 points? :P

I believe so
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#268 » by kuclas » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:43 pm

Kansas maybe shows the rest of the NCAA small ball wins. Of course they did it out of necessarily since they didn't have their other big 5 star freshman recruit Billy Preston. 3 point shot is better than 2 point shot if your team shoots better than 33% from 3 point land. Today they shot it 36% (the NBA average)
Tigersrule
RealGM
And1: 7,543

Post#269 » by Tigersrule » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:43 pm

B-Ball Freak wrote:

Kansas played better at the end can't put it all on the refs....they had actual plays Duke not so much.

Kansas literally got carried by a scorching hot Newman lol. Their best player Graham didnt do crap today, so I mean I guess thats a good sign for them to still beat a great Duke team. But that charging call......terrible. Either way though, winner of Kansas/Nova go on to win tourny.
kuclas
General Manager

Post#270 » by kuclas » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:44 pm

Why don't they put Michigan/Loyola as next Saturday night's prime time game??
BlueSan
Sixth Man

Post#271 » by BlueSan » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:51 pm

Newman stats:
- 34 points (11 of those in extra time where he scores every single point)
- 7 rebounds
- 3 steals
- 2 assists

Pro stuff...looking forward to seeing this guy in the next game hehe
axeman23
Analyst
And1: 3,081

Post#272 » by axeman23 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:51 pm

B-Ball Freak wrote:
Atmanne wrote:Kinda figured Grayson Allen would stink the joint up.

Dude should not get drafted he is going to suck at the pro level.

I dunno, maybe him and Zaza can start up a "Bruise Brothers" tandem somewhere. Fouling seems to be the only thing he's good at, from what I saw. You've got a frontline that's headed to this years lottery waiting in the paint, so what do you do? Over-dribble and chuck up a bad 3, or pass it to your other guard along the perimeter. FINALLY work out your 3 isn't working, so you'd figure you'd go to your big men then, right? NOOO! Let's charge into the loaded paint and either chuck up a no-look over the sholder heave, or, PASS IT BACK OUT TO THE OTHER PERIMETER PLAYERS WHO ARE ALSO COLD FROM THE 3! :banghead:
axeman23
Analyst

Post#273 » by axeman23 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:58 pm

BlueSan wrote:
Noobslife wrote:Allen could've closed this game. It didn't have to go to OT. He costed the game.

Meh I think thats harsh on him, he did really well at the end with drawing two fouls and hitting free throws. I think bigs of Duke should have done more, but really wasnt their fault that much as Kansas did amazing in working their asses off in defense with double D on Bagley and in general trying to overcome the mismatches at the rim

He shot 3 of 13 from the field, 2 of 9 from 3, and "we're being harsh on him/he did really well at the end"? Looked to me like he was playing hero ball and didn't know when to stop and get the ball into his All-star front-line! He drew 2 fouls, hit 4 FT's, he did significantly more harm than good, IMO.
BlueSan
Sixth Man

Post#274 » by BlueSan » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:59 pm

BlueSan wrote:Newman's stats:
- 34 points (11 of those in extra time where he scores every single point)
- 7 rebounds
- 3 steals
- 2 assists

Pro stuff...looking forward to seeing this guy in the next game hehe
BlueSan
Sixth Man

Post#275 » by BlueSan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:01 am

axeman23 wrote:
BlueSan wrote:

He shot 3 of 13 from the field, 2 of 9 from 3, and "we're being harsh on him/he did really well at the end"? Looked to me like he was playing hero ball and didn't know when to stop and get the ball into his All-star front-line! He drew 2 fouls, hit 4 FT's, he did significantly more harm than good, IMO.

yeah I agree overall of course he wasnt good, just at the end, he made some good plays and cant really fault him for that miss which led to OT
axeman23
Analyst

Post#276 » by axeman23 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:08 am

BlueSan wrote:
axeman23 wrote:
BlueSan wrote:

yeah I agree overall of course he wasnt good, just at the end, he made some good plays and cant really fault him for that miss which led to OT

Fair enough. But I also think they wouldn't have NEEDED that last effort of his if he and the other guards had of realised sooner their shots weren't falling and to start feeding the bigs more down low, especially when Azubuike (sp?) went out. Even before that, if the go to the bigs quicker, they put more pressure on Azu defensively and the chances of him fouling out earlier increase, opening lanes more for everybody. Hell, they could have drawn those fouls themselves by driving. doesn't matter who does it, as long as it's done...
BlueSan
Sixth Man

Post#277 » by BlueSan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:24 am

That I agree completely. Of course Kansas made it super hard on them and basically forced them to find alternatives, but Bagley should if he is worthy of number 3 top pick be able to bypass that. Not that he ll see much of that kind of focus on him in NBA, just that best players need to bypass that. Doncic for instance also started to get double teamed often at the start of the season in Euroleague quite fast, and has been many times since that point, you have to adapt and overcome it, if nothing else by drawing attention to yourself and finding open guys then.

Overall Duke should have won this game. In OT it was brilliance of Newman but before Kansas just made too many mistakes and Duke had too much going for them like Turn overs, foul problems and not to mention the best guy on the court the superstar M.B III

But they didnt.

P.S. I think Bagley did fine, Carter had foul problems but next to that, the best guy on Duke's team I think was Duval who exceeded expectations I think
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,452

Post#278 » by bwgood77 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:28 am

Tigersrule wrote:
B-Ball Freak wrote:

Kansas literally got carried by a scorching hot Newman lol. Their best player Graham didnt do crap today, so I mean I guess thats a good sign for them to still beat a great Duke team. But that charging call......terrible. Either way though, winner of Kansas/Nova go on to win tourny.

One of those two should win it all, but both Michigan and Loyola feel like hotter teams right now. They may just finally meet superior talent, but all of these squads are well coached, play great team ball and don't rely on a bunch of freshmen. Should be some good games.
raptor jesus
RealGM
And1: 22,013

Post#279 » by raptor jesus » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:03 am

Coach K cost Duke the game. Kansas is a very good outside shooting team, so playing a zone which gives up a ton of open looks was a terrible strategy. I think Duke wins that game comfortably had they switched to man defence once Kansas got comfortable attacking the zone.
kuclas
General Manager

Post#280 » by kuclas » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:28 am

raptor jesus wrote:

Coach K cost Duke the game. Kansas is a very good outside shooting team, so playing a zone which gives up a ton of open looks was a terrible strategy. I think Duke wins that game comfortably had they switched to man defence once Kansas got comfortable attacking the zone.

It's a catch-22 for Duke. They can't play 2 bigs (bagley/carter) plus slow footed Allen man to man against Kansas 3 guard lineup (Graham/Newman/Vick). You saw Kansas's newman blow pass Grayson Allen all game. That's why duke had to play zone.

That's small ball with Kansas who have undersize 6 foot 8 Mykhailiuk essentially playing the stretch 4. So they got 4 shooters out there with one center. Kansas coach had to change his usual offense due to lack of big men this year. So they play with one center all game. 4 shooters on the floor. Classic modern NBA game.

Kansas has been exposed on defense by teams with bigs on the floor on the defense. But today they did a good job with double teams and switching out.

Return to The General Board