[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

2018 Offseason/Preseason Thread

Moderator: LyricalRico

LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

2018 Offseason/Preseason Thread 

Post#1 » by LyricalRico » Fri Mar 2, 2018 7:06 pm

Setting this up to consolidate the discussion from now until the season starts. Who will Washington pursue in free agency? What directions do they go on draft day? Who surprises in training camp? Put it all here!

For starters, any interest in this guy? Should be cheap, assuming he's released.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000918323/article/los-angeles-rams-will-trade-or-release-tavon-austin

Tavon Austin will be in the market for a new team after five years with the Rams organization.

The Rams will either trade or release the former No. 8 overall draft pick, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported, via a source informed of the situation.

<snip>

Austin's contract calls for a $5 million roster bonus this month, a prohibitive price tag for a gadget player and part-time punt returner.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: 2018 Offseason/Preseason Thread 

Post#2 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:44 pm

Skins get a burner at WR - in Paul Richardson - soon to be 26. Hasn't done a whole lot in his 4 years in the NFL to warrant a 5 year 40 mil contract with 20 mil guaranteed, but came on some last season. Slender and injury-prone - he's a lot like a slightly poor-man's DJax. He will stretch the field and make the accrobatic catches but will have trouble hanging on against contact. It wasn't a good year to get high-end WR's, and the Skins paid a premium. But if he stays healthy, he'll be a good get.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#3 » by LyricalRico » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:03 pm

Ruzious wrote:Skins get a burner at WR - in Paul Richardson - soon to be 26. Hasn't done a whole lot in his 4 years in the NFL to warrant a 5 year 40 mil contract with 20 mil guaranteed, but came on some last season. Slender and injury-prone - he's a lot like a slightly poor-man's DJax. He will stretch the field and make the accrobatic catches but will have trouble hanging on against contact. It wasn't a good year to get high-end WR's, and the Skins paid a premium. But if he stays healthy, he'll be a good get.

Not surprised they went after Richardson, but when I first saw the numbers I had to find the Orkapo classic...

But after also seeing what guys like Ryan Grant and Danny Amendola, this appears to be the year for mediocre receivers to get paid. Still saying "Alex Smith to Paul Richardson" feels more like my bye-week fantasy lineup than what I'd like for my favorite team. Let's see what else they come up with.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#4 » by LyricalRico » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:40 pm

A couple transplants from the other thread...

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

:clap:

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter

Good stuff, thanks for keeping up on everything! :D
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#5 » by LyricalRico » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:46 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Well, what they really NEED is a monster run-stuffer and a great young CB, imo. Skins D against short yardage runs was abysmal. They almost have to draft either Da'Ron Payne or Vita Vea unless there's a CB at 13 they can't resist. To me, Dunbar can't be starting at CB. I'd rather start Moreau.

Yep, with the new pass-happy NFL they definitely have to make corner a priority now. I'd actually put left guard at a close second. Without top-flight skill players, they really need to be rock solid up front for the offense to function IMO.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#6 » by Wizardspride » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:02 am

LyricalRico wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Well, what they really NEED is a monster run-stuffer and a great young CB, imo. Skins D against short yardage runs was abysmal. They almost have to draft either Da'Ron Payne or Vita Vea unless there's a CB at 13 they can't resist. To me, Dunbar can't be starting at CB. I'd rather start Moreau.

Yep, with the new pass-happy NFL they definitely have to make corner a priority now. I'd actually put left guard at a close second. Without top-flight skill players, they really need to be rock solid up front for the offense to function IMO.

Listening to Doug, RB seems to be a priority as well.

Sounds like they want that every down back with speed.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Ruzious » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:09 am

LyricalRico wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

And they also need a quality 1st and 2nd down RB that won't get tackled by the first guy. Thompson's a helluva 3rd down back, but Perine and Fat Rob are just not good enough - they don't have a guy with both power and quickness. There's a few very talented RB's in this draft, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Skins go there in round 2. My preference is Derrius Guice from LSU.

Hopefully, last year's 5th round pick - Chase Roullier - steps up at center.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#8 » by LyricalRico » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:19 pm

Suh still on the market after Jets back out...

New York Jets CEO Christopher Johnson said Sunday that the team rescinded its offer to free-agent defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh.

"It just didn't seem to be in keeping with our long-term plan," Johnson told reporters at the NFL owners meetings in Orlando.

The Jets' interest in Suh, which surfaced on Friday, came as a surprise. That they've pulled the offer also is a surprise.

The Jets made a "pretty big offer" to the former All-Pro, Johnson said. Suh told Yahoo! Sports that it was the largest offer he had received since he was released by the Miami Dolphins. He's also drawing interest from the Los Angeles Rams, Tennessee Titans and New Orleans Saints.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22912220/new-york-jets-rescind-offer-free-agent-ndamukong-suh-christopher-johnson-says

...and I'd definitely stay away. Feels like he'd be Haynesworth 2.0. :wavefinger:
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:44 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Suh still on the market after Jets back out...

New York Jets CEO Christopher Johnson said Sunday that the team rescinded its offer to free-agent defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh.

"It just didn't seem to be in keeping with our long-term plan," Johnson told reporters at the NFL owners meetings in Orlando.

The Jets' interest in Suh, which surfaced on Friday, came as a surprise. That they've pulled the offer also is a surprise.

The Jets made a "pretty big offer" to the former All-Pro, Johnson said. Suh told Yahoo! Sports that it was the largest offer he had received since he was released by the Miami Dolphins. He's also drawing interest from the Los Angeles Rams, Tennessee Titans and New Orleans Saints.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22912220/new-york-jets-rescind-offer-free-agent-ndamukong-suh-christopher-johnson-says

...and I'd definitely stay away. Feels like he'd be Haynesworth 2.0. :wavefinger:

Agreed - though he is awfully good when he's focussed. I'm hoping for Haskins at NT/DT, but I'm guessing Chicago's willing to pay more than the Skins.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#10 » by LyricalRico » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:19 pm

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22922265/washington-redskins-sign-linebacker-pernell-mcphee

The Washington Redskins signed linebacker Pernell McPhee on Monday, the team announced.

Terms were not disclosed.

The signing comes a day after the Redskins confirmed they would not be re-signing linebacker Junior Galette. The team also lost pass-rusher Trent Murphy in free agency to the Buffalo Bills.

LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#11 » by LyricalRico » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:23 pm

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/28/sua-cravens-traded-to-broncos/

So much for Washington not trading Su'a Cravens.

Cravens, the Washington safety who was drafted in the second round in 2016 and didn’t play at all in 2017, has been traded to Denver.

The deal features Denver giving up the 109th overall pick, the 142nd overall pick, the 163rd overall pick and a conditional 2020 sixth-round pick in exchange for Cravens, the 113th overall pick and the 149th overall pick, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN. Add all those picks up and it’s roughly the equivalent of Cravens being traded for a late fourth-round pick.

But, basically, Washington is getting a fifth-round pick and change for Cravens, whom coach Jay Gruden previously said they wouldn’t trade.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#12 » by LyricalRico » Tue Apr 3, 2018 7:57 pm

Wow, Will Compton leaves for the Titans! :o It's been real, bro! What happens next?

The official departure of Will Compton was a reminder that the Washington Redskins remain in the market for a linebacker despite the recent signing of Pernell McPhee.

The defense has lost Compton and Trent Murphy, and Junior Galette was told the team was no longer interested in his services. The starting lineup of Ryan Kerrigan, Mason Foster, Zach Brown and Preston Smith remains intact with McPhee rotating in. Ryan Anderson figures to be more in the mix as well. But that’s not enough for a 16-game NFL season.

<snip>

The prevailing thought has been that the Redskins will address the defensive line with the No. 13 pick in the draft. Washington defensive tackle Vita Vea has been the selection in some mock drafts. A defensive playmaker such as Florida State safety Derwin James has also been a popular guess, but linebacker is very much in play depending on who’s available.

Virginia Tech’s Tremaine Edmunds is a rare blend of speed and size at 6-foot-5, 253 pounds. His 4.54 40-yard dash was the fifth fastest among linebackers at the NFL combine. He led Virginia Tech with 109 tackles, 14.0 for loss and added 5.5 sacks, four quarterback hurries and three fumbles forced. Edmunds is widely regarded as the best linebacker in the draft and could still be available at No. 13.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2018/04/03/with-compton-departure-linebacker-could-be-in-play-for-redskins-in-round-1/?utm_term=.07e43554e102

I was really hoping to be set at LB. Having to use a high pick on a LB means another hole doesn't get filled. :nonono:
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Ruzious » Tue Apr 3, 2018 10:16 pm

Remember they still have Spaight at ILB that they seem to like and Zach Vigil - who actually got a bunch of tackles in the last few games last season. And don't forget Josh Harvey-Clemons, who seemed in the mold of Sua Cravens - a converted safety to ILBer. He had some off-field problems as a teenager, but they like his potential. He's the one ILBer they have that looks like he has some coverage ability. Unless they think Ryan Anderson will dramatically improve this year, I expect they'll pick an OLBer somewhere in the draft.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#14 » by LyricalRico » Thu Apr 5, 2018 3:30 pm

Ruzious wrote:Remember they still have Spaight at ILB that they seem to like and Zach Vigil - who actually got a bunch of tackles in the last few games last season. And don't forget Josh Harvey-Clemons, who seemed in the mold of Sua Cravens - a converted safety to ILBer. He had some off-field problems as a teenager, but they like his potential. He's the one ILBer they have that looks like he has some coverage ability. Unless they think Ryan Anderson will dramatically improve this year, I expect they'll pick an OLBer somewhere in the draft.

What about this guy for LB depth?

James Harrison, the outside linebacker who ended last season with the Patriots, is planning to keep playing and looking to sign with a team that needs a player like him after the draft, according to Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.

For Harrison, the top priority is getting on the field. He grew frustrated in Pittsburgh last year when he rarely played, and was happy to get released by the Steelers and signed by the Patriots, who made him a starter in the Super Bowl

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/05/james-harrison-wants-to-play-hopes-to-sign-somewhere-after-draft/

Sounds like he'll want a big role, but why not bring him in to see if he can still play? Even if he's only a part-time player, would it be worth it for the leadership aspect? He does have rings. :football:
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#15 » by LyricalRico » Fri Apr 6, 2018 12:20 am

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I’m sold!
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#16 » by LyricalRico » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:04 pm

Uh oh, better fuel up Redskins One...

The Dallas Cowboys released wide receiver Dez Bryant on Friday, a source told ESPN's Todd Archer.

Bryant was informed of his release after arriving at The Star, the team's headquarters in Frisco, Texas. A source said Bryant, who met with owner and general manager Jerry Jones, was not offered a pay cut.

Another source added that Bryant will not be designated a post-June 1 cut.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23153209/dallas-cowboys-expected-release-wr-dez-bryant

That's right Dez, throw 'em the deuces! :P

Oh and chances Snyder/Allen overpay for Dez? 100%...150%...?
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#17 » by LyricalRico » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:14 pm

Check out the full list of draft picks...

Read on Twitter

...local analysis...

Read on Twitter

...and overall grades...

Read on Twitter
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Ruzious » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:01 pm

What made me happiest was the trade down in the second round and still getting the RB I wanted (Guice) while picking up a mid 3rd rounder. I thought they might have reached in the first round to fill a need, but Payne looks like a quality mature player, and he's still just 20. A lot of the first rounders are 23ish. It'll be fun to watch the rookies in the preseason. They all seem so happy to be here. Gotta root for Guice - sounds like he's had a hard life and may have too much energy for his own good - but also seems likable. Glad he's on the team and look forward to him succeeding.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#19 » by LyricalRico » Tue May 1, 2018 12:27 am

Ruzious wrote:What made me happiest was the trade down in the second round and still getting the RB I wanted (Guice) while picking up a mid 3rd rounder. I thought they might have reached in the first round to fill a need, but Payne looks like a quality mature player, and he's still just 20. A lot of the first rounders are 23ish. It'll be fun to watch the rookies in the preseason. They all seem so happy to be here. Gotta root for Guice - sounds like he's had a hard life and may have too much energy for his own good - but also seems likable. Glad he's on the team and look forward to him succeeding.

Yeah, I agree those were good moves. Disappointed that Vea went just one pick ahead of us (and interestingly to a team that had already invested in their D-line), but coming out with potential longterm solutions at NT and RB in the first two rounds is a job well done IMO.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#20 » by LyricalRico » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:45 pm

Will it work? :pray:

After an injury-filled season, the Redskins studied themselves to evaluate how they could avoid a similar situation in the future.

Part of the conclusion? Earlier practice times.

When the Redskins begin training camp in July, the team will practice in the morning and will conduct their walkthrough in the afternoon. Coach Jay Gruden in the past did the opposite.

“I want to give them a full day to recover,” Gruden said. “I kind of have been doing a little research here and I think we practice in the morning, we are off the field around noon and they get a nice lunch. … So, I think to give that full time for recovery, so they can drink a lot of fluids and take care of their bodies is important.”

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jun/17/redskins-want-more-time-recovery-after-injury-plag/

Return to Washington Football Team