Jevon Carter a.k.a. The Secretary of Defense

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

MachoMan
Junior
And1: 176

Jevon Carter a.k.a. The Secretary of Defense 

Post#1 » by MachoMan » Tue Apr 3, 2018 2:24 pm

Still think my guy Jevon Carter is being overlooked and underrated by most of the mock drafts. Carter is going to be effective in the NBA and help a team win games. His resume is not only impressive, it is historical. Carter is the only collegiate player from a major conference to have a season with averages at least 17 PPG / 6 APG / 4 RPG & 3 Steals per game (per Sports Reference Database). Carter is the only collegiate player from a major conference to have at least 1,500 Points, 500 Assists, 500 Rebounds, and 300 Steals in a college career. He has an all around game with a high BBIQ, and because of his defensive reputation, his offensive abilities are often overlooked.

Naismith Trophy Defensive Player of the Year - 2017-18
NABC Defensive Player of the Year - 2016-17 & 2017-18 (2x)
Lefty Driesell Defensive Player of the Year Award - 2016-17 & 2017-18 (2x)
Consensus & AP All American 2nd Team - 2017-18
All Big 12 1st Team - 2017-2018
Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year - 2016-17 & 2017-18 (2x)
All Defense Big 12 1st Team - 2014-15, 2015-16, 2016-17 & 2017-18 (4x)
CoSIDA Academic All-American of the Year - 2017-18
Senior CLASS Award - 2017-18
Academic All-Big 12 1st Team - 2015-16, 2016-17 & 2017-18 (3x)
"I'm the tower of power, too sweet to be sour. I'm funky like a monkey. Sky's the limit and space is the place!" - Randy Savage
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,745

Re: Jevon Carter a.k.a. The Secretary of Defense 

Post#2 » by eminence » Tue Apr 3, 2018 2:38 pm

I like him quite a bit. Where would you like to see him mocked? Don't have a board all put together, but I'd guess he'll wind up in the 20's on mine.
I bought a boat.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#3 » by CptCrunch » Tue Apr 3, 2018 2:41 pm

Where do you want him drafted?

His offensive capabilities are overlooked because they don't exist. 55% TS for a senior is quite putrid. If he didn't have a 6'3" wingspan, I would draft him second round as a defensive bench guard.
MachoMan
Junior

Post#4 » by MachoMan » Tue Apr 3, 2018 3:05 pm

eminence wrote:I like him quite a bit. Where would you like to see him mocked? Don't have a board all put together, but I'd guess he'll wind up in the 20's on mine.

I personally think the #22 - #37 range is appropriate. I am a fan, but not blind to his limitations at the next level. I have seen him in a mock or two in that range, but commonly see him as a sub #45 pick which I think is too low.
"I'm the tower of power, too sweet to be sour. I'm funky like a monkey. Sky's the limit and space is the place!" - Randy Savage
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,745

Post#5 » by eminence » Tue Apr 3, 2018 3:18 pm

MachoMan wrote:
eminence wrote:I like him quite a bit. Where would you like to see him mocked? Don't have a board all put together, but I'd guess he'll wind up in the 20's on mine.

I personally think the #22 - #37 range is appropriate. I am a fan, but not blind to his limitations at the next level. I have seen him in a mock or two in that range, but commonly see him as a sub #45 pick which I think is too low.

Mmkay, I agree with you then, think he's fine as a secondary offensive player (good passer, decent shot). And other than some wingspan concerns he's got it all on defense.
I bought a boat.
MachoMan
Junior

Post#6 » by MachoMan » Tue Apr 3, 2018 3:19 pm

paulbball wrote:Where do you want him drafted?

His offensive capabilities are overlooked because they don't exist. 55% TS for a senior is quite putrid. If he didn't have a 6'3" wingspan, I would draft him second round as a defensive bench guard.

39% from 3 on over 5 attempts per game....93rd Percentile on catch and shoot....91st Percentile shooting off the dribble. Grabbing one advanced metric and concluding his offensive capabilities "don't exist" and are "quite putrid" feels....or actually screams short sighted. Trae Young's TS% was 58%, does he not have offensive capabilities? Devonte Graham's TS% is under 57%....does he lack offensive capabilities? Grayson Allen @ 58%, no offensive capabilities for him either?
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#7 » by SeattleJazzFan » Tue Apr 3, 2018 3:44 pm

he's a mid second prospect. could be a back up point in the league for a long time.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#8 » by nolang1 » Tue Apr 3, 2018 4:02 pm

Ideally he's just spotting up alongside someone like LeBron, Giannis, Ben Simmons, Harden and guarding PGs for them rather than being a team's #1 option.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#9 » by clyde21 » Tue Apr 3, 2018 5:09 pm

Poor mans Marcus Smart. I see early to mid second.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#10 » by CptCrunch » Tue Apr 3, 2018 5:27 pm

MachoMan wrote:

39% from 3 on over 5 attempts per game....93rd Percentile on catch and shoot....91st Percentile shooting off the dribble. Grabbing one advanced metric and concluding his offensive capabilities "don't exist" and are "quite putrid" feels....or actually screams short sighted. Trae Young's TS% was 58%, does he not have offensive capabilities? Devonte Graham's TS% is under 57%....does he lack offensive capabilities? Grayson Allen @ 58%, no offensive capabilities for him either?

...He is a senior shooting college 3's. That ends this argument.
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#11 » by kobyz » Tue Apr 3, 2018 5:32 pm

not an nba player, has big heart and ultimate competitor but lack pure talent and size, mirror image as a player to Gregory Vargas who doing well in international ball but not nba level!
MachoMan
Junior

Post#12 » by MachoMan » Tue Apr 3, 2018 6:36 pm

paulbball wrote:
MachoMan wrote:

...He is a senior shooting college 3's. That ends this argument.

ok, so your that guy...
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#13 » by GimmeDat » Tue Apr 3, 2018 11:04 pm

I think he's in that 45-60 range. It sounds harsh, in another context I could see him as early 2nd or even fringe 1st guy, but if I'm going for a guard in that mold I think I just lean towards guys like Kyri Thomas, Aaron Holiday, etc. a bit more.

I didn't realize until I went through and made my latest board just how much of 2nd round guards there are in this draft - Brunson, Thomas, Carter, Holiday, Milton, Ponds, Duval, Trier, Newman, Trent, Brown, Allen, Graham, Carr, etc.,.. Vick and Okogie too. Hard to separate them all.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#14 » by EvanZ » Tue Apr 3, 2018 11:27 pm

I agree late second round pick. There's just not much value in this type of player in today's game. You can find backup point guards like Quin Cook, TJ, VanVleet undrafted or coming out of the GL. I wouldn't waste a pick on a backup point guard tbh.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#15 » by doordoor123 » Wed Apr 4, 2018 1:56 am

This class has a lot of guards worth taking. Guards like Carter and Brunson are an experiment for me to see if these kind of players can still have a lot of success. I’m really interested to see how they’ll turn out and how they’ll do in workouts.
bootsythornton
Sixth Man
And1: 1,727

Post#16 » by bootsythornton » Wed Apr 4, 2018 2:07 am

Raptors buy a 2nd round pick and nab in in the late 30's sounds about right.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,801

Post#17 » by Chuck Everett » Wed Apr 4, 2018 3:07 am

Undrafted. Works his way into a training camp. Defense is there, needs to be able to make shots, otherwise, hello Europe. Perfect guy to give a 2-way to though.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
MachoMan
Junior

Post#18 » by MachoMan » Wed Apr 4, 2018 3:15 am

GimmeDat wrote:I didn't realize until I went through and made my latest board just how much of 2nd round guards there are in this draft

this is true....this draft is loaded with likely backup NBA PG's
MachoMan
Junior

Post#19 » by MachoMan » Wed Apr 4, 2018 3:19 am

sportsyard wrote:Raptors buy a 2nd round pick and nab in in the late 30's sounds about right.

yeah, cause you guys are in desperate need for another backup PG :lol:
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#20 » by Moooose » Wed Apr 4, 2018 5:47 am

One of the guys who I think will climb up the draft board once the private workouts begin. He may be a mid 2nd rounder at best (for now), but with a decent chance of climbing up some more should the other guys ahead of him falter in the private workouts. Solid athlete. Underhyped.

Watching him play, to me he's one of the most complete college players this season. His offense is underrated maybe just because his defense is excellent. His body is better than the others on his tier, and can even get stronger. Good basketball instincts. Mentality is more mature than the others, as well as his facial hair.

The only downsize is literally his size and athleticism. But if he proves he can be stronger than the other guards in the NBA, I think the chance of him sticking in the league is quite good (See Patrick Beverley, who is more offensively challenged).

Return to NBA Draft